Celebrity just tried to bump us

djmarchand

To those who think it's easy to deal with a canceled cruise . . . as another poster says, it really depends on the individual.

We had an analogous situation 5 years ago. We'd booked a two day tour of Normandy. Arrived in Paris and asked the hotel concierge to book us train tickets on the relevant days. He said, "You really don't want to do that." I said, "Actually, we do. We have this great tour planned . . ." To make a long story short, there was a planned petrol/fuel strike. Tourbus wouldn't be able to get gas; planes wouldn't be able to get fuel; trains wouldn't run. So, we ended up spending 3 days in Paris. Most people would kill for that but it was very disappointing for us -- still, we made the best of it and had a good time. A few months later the tour company disbanded (not quality related) and we never did get the tour we'd so much wanted. We did get to see Normandy a few years later.

About 8 years ago, we got a call from RCCL asking if we'd be willing switch dates of an Alaskan cruise. We said we couldn't do it and they said, "OK." That was it.

The fact is that, for some people, a particular cruise vacation is just another time away -- the destination, the time, the method of transportation aren't all that relevant. For others, one of more of those may be nearly impossible to adjust. In some cases (e.g., hurricanes, fuel strikes), there may be nothing anyone can do about the situation. When there are options (as with the OP), it is SO much better if the cruise line or airline or hotel comes up with a solution that costs them very little (or nothing) and leaves the "inconvenienced" person with a smile on his/her face. Didn't happen here and that's unfortunate.

I agree with the poster above that the situation is rare or it would be ALL over these boards. We may comprise only 7% of cruisers, but are a vocal lot. :p

My schedule is very tight also. I cannot just up and leave. There has to be coverage for my spot, and a lot has to be done to cover when I am gone. So I cannot just up and leave all willy nilly

We took our first Celebrity cruise early this year and we not impressed AT ALL. Disappointed, actually. So it's back to "old faithful" Princess for us.

I like what I am used to, we took our first Princess cruise this year and are back to Celebrity next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like what I am used to, we took our first Princess cruise this year and are back to Celebrity next year.

We're actually giving Princess another try next year (only sailed once on her previously), mainly because our summer Reflection cruise felt more akin to a Royal sailing than the X we're used to. In some ways, it will be nice to have a change from the standard itineraries that X offer during the peak summer months (we're tied to school holidays). I'd also like to give Azamara and Viking a whirl, once our kids decide not to sail with us anymore ;).

It's sometimes hard to stray from what we are used to!

We're actually giving Princess another try next year (only sailed once on her previously), mainly because our summer Reflection cruise felt more akin to a Royal sailing than the X we're used to. In some ways, it will be nice to have a change from the standard itineraries that X offer during the peak summer months (we're tied to school holidays). I'd also like to give Azamara and Viking a whirl, once our kids decide not to sail with us anymore ;).

Me too! :)

To those who think it's easy to deal with a canceled cruise . . . as another poster says, it really depends on the individual.

We had an analogous situation 5 years ago. We'd booked a two day tour of Normandy. Arrived in Paris and asked the hotel concierge to book us train tickets on the relevant days. He said, "You really don't want to do that." I said, "Actually, we do. We have this great tour planned . . ." To make a long story short, there was a planned petrol/fuel strike. Tourbus wouldn't be able to get gas; planes wouldn't be able to get fuel; trains wouldn't run. So, we ended up spending 3 days in Paris. Most people would kill for that but it was very disappointing for us -- still, we made the best of it and had a good time. A few months later the tour company disbanded (not quality related) and we never did get the tour we'd so much wanted. We did get to see Normandy a few years later.

About 8 years ago, we got a call from RCCL asking if we'd be willing switch dates of an Alaskan cruise. We said we couldn't do it and they said, "OK." That was it.

The fact is that, for some people, a particular cruise vacation is just another time away -- the destination, the time, the method of transportation aren't all that relevant. For others, one of more of those may be nearly impossible to adjust. In some cases (e.g., hurricanes, fuel strikes), there may be nothing anyone can do about the situation. When there are options (as with the OP), it is SO much better if the cruise line or airline or hotel comes up with a solution that costs them very little (or nothing) and leaves the "inconvenienced" person with a smile on his/her face. Didn't happen here and that's unfortunate.

I agree with the poster above that the situation is rare or it would be ALL over these boards. We may comprise only 7% of cruisers, but are a vocal lot. :p

We do have 3 different reports on CC in the Celebrity board of involuntary bumping in the last 9 months.

While it is somewhat rare it does appear to be happening.

As an example of how far Princess will go to fulfill a GTY, a couple of years ago we had a GTY on a truly sold out cruise on a 700 passenger ship. We did not get our cabin assignment until 24 hours before embarkation, while we were in the air flying to the embarkation port.

The President of Princess was supposed to be in a suite on this cruise which celebrated the 50th anniversary of the founding of Princess. She gave up her suite (and the cruise) so that two related passengers in regular cabins could instead be assigned to the suite. We then were assigned one of those two regular cabins.

I'd also like to give Azamara and Viking a whirl, once our kids decide not to sail with us anymore ;).

You could be in for a long wait! Whilst our now adult son rarely joins us on other holiday types he still manages to find time to join us on cruises!

We took our first Celebrity cruise early this year and we not impressed AT ALL. Disappointed, actually. So it's back to "old faithful" Princess for us.

Different strokes for different folks.

We took our first Princess cruise this year. We were contacted for a voluntary move offer (we did have an assigned cabin), which we declined. We were then told that we may be involuntarily bumped if they could not get enough volunteers. We did not know for sure unitl we reached the pier.

We did put all of that behind us and looked forward to a great experience on this cruiseline that many feel is more like Celebrity than different. Well we were not impressed AT ALL. Not interested at present in giving tham a second try.

If a cruise is overbooked, maybe they should not accept final payments or assign "guarantee" bookings ( ironic term) a cabin until after the final payment date.. Invariably some may cancel after final payment for health or other reasons Those cabins could then go to the unassigned.....i do realize a guarantee is not standby but they are unassigned versus someone who pays more for an assigned cabin

Just curious does anyine know if a person with an assigned room would get bumped in order to fulfill a guarantee, and do TAs get preference for their clients over self bookers..

Starting to pack for next weeks departure...

Edited by hcat

Different strokes for different folks.

We took our first Princess cruise this year. We were contacted for a voluntary move offer (we did have an assigned cabin), which we declined. We were then told that we may be involuntarily bumped if they could not get enough volunteers. We did not know for sure unitl we reached the pier.

We did put all of that behind us and looked forward to a great experience on this cruiseline that many feel is more like Celebrity than different. Well we were not impressed AT ALL. Not interested at present in giving tham a second try.

I am curious if guarantee reservations , which are at a lessor rate than reserved rooms, are the first to be cancelled, when the cruise is overbooked. It would make sense financially for the cruise line and would be another reason to reserve a room if you are concerned about being bounced.

We heard from the President's office within 2 days. We gave good points of the cruise & the problems.

Same here, different poor service issue, but as soon as my letter arrived in the CEO's office I got a call from one of his assistants. The issue was settle right away and it was entirely in our favor...pays to complain up the chain of command until you get the right answer. There is no excuse for the OP's situation. GLad it turned out right...take your DW for a chocolate Croissant and latte at Al Baccio for us! You will love your ship and your cruise.

Do you find that concept difficult? Seeing as there are a 1/2 dozen direct flights a day for under $200 Yeah. Fly to Athens go to Corfu, Rhodes, Crete, Tour the mainland then fly to Rome, Naples, Florence, the options are endless. Spend sometime in Italy. It's not rocket science but if someone would rather stay home and pout, be my guest. I'd make the best of things.

All I can say is, wow, tough crowd. Please be sure to let us know if something like this ever happens to you.

All I can say is, wow, tough crowd. Please be sure to let us know if something like this ever happens to you.

I don't think I was that tough. Carbill is an experienced traveler who has been doing this for years so making a statement of "I should fly to Athens and spend the rest of my vacation making my way somehow to Rome". it's a 2 hour cheap flight!! So if you found my incredulous reaction rude, I apologize.

As for finding myself in the same situation...well, I've had 22 days in the Med with no luggage and managed just fine without a meltdown. Missed flights, missed connections, hotels oversold.

I do however recognize that there are two types of people...eggs and potatoes... when an egg goes into boiling water it goes hard, when a potato goes in boiling water it turns to mush....same boiling water. I think I'd be an egg and not sit at home with vacation time that I can't change, I'd try and make the best of it which is what I was suggesting.

I don't think I was that tough. Carbill is an experienced traveler who has been doing this for years so making a statement of "I should fly to Athens and spend the rest of my vacation making my way somehow to Rome". it's a 2 hour cheap flight!! So if you found my incredulous reaction rude, I apologize.

As for finding myself in the same situation...well, I've had 22 days in the Med with no luggage and managed just fine without a meltdown. Missed flights, missed connections, hotels oversold.

I do however recognize that there are two types of people...eggs and potatoes... when an egg goes into boiling water it goes hard, when a potato goes in boiling water it turns to mush....same boiling water. I think I'd be an egg and not sit at home with vacation time that I can't change, I'd try and make the best of it which is what I was suggesting.

I guess my point is that it seems in your eyes, being told 2 days prior to sailing that you are off the ship unless... is an "ok, what else can I do with my airfare, and any other plans I have made in regards to my long planned vacation?" You are painting with a broad brush. Again, let us know how you react when this actually happens to you, not how you THINK you would react.

I am very happy for the retired folks who say it is an "opportunity". But, for those of us who work, obtaining time off for vacation involves a host of people at work adjusting their schedules for you. In addition, you have deposits for the dog, airline tickets, plans with friends in the area who may have arranged their schedules. Due to this post, I doubt we will be booking with Celebrity again unless they specifically say they will not be doing this again. For me, it would mean still having to take the time off as scheduled and basically losing a planned vacation. Not acceptable at all and perhaps if this continues there needs to be a bill of rights for cruise passengers. It is not worth the possible problems and loss of money when there are other cruise lines. Kudos for Princess taking the high road.

Why couldn't you just go somewhere else at the same time? You get a complete refund, free cruise and money to cover changes. Take your refund, cruise or vacation somewhere else (tons of last minute deals) and then you get a free cruise out of it.

But Rich, this is the thread Carbill was responding to. Someone that absolutely could not make any change to the vacation time. It was not a response to the OP. Isn't using the air better than losing a planned vacation? I never said it would be an easy mental shift but for someone with no flexibility on dates, it's an alternative.

I did wonder if you had gone ahead and booked another line. Which itinerary did you book?

Princess Regal Western Caribbean (7day).

My thought process was to choose a 'relatively newer' ship, which may be closer to the Celebrity S class that I really like. Also a bit shorter than what I would ideally choose in case I'm not really impressed (and if I do love it, I'll have to go back another time[emoji6])

I was originally booked on the 12/21/17 Eclipse (I think you're going on that?), but had to cancel due to logistics with time off...

But Rich, this is the thread Carbill was responding to. Someone that absolutely could not make any change to the vacation time. It was not a response to the OP. Isn't using the air better than losing a planned vacation? I never said it would be an easy mental shift but for someone with no flexibility on dates, it's an alternative.

I stand corrected! My bad!

Princess Regal Western Caribbean (7day).

My thought process was to choose a 'relatively newer' ship, which may be closer to the Celebrity S class that I really like. Also a bit shorter than what I would ideally choose in case I'm not really impressed (and if I do love it, I'll have to go back another time[emoji6])

I was originally booked on the 12/21/17 Eclipse (I think you're going on that?), but had to cancel due to logistics with time off...

Yes, still on Eclipse (wherever we may dock is okay with us :)). Shame you had to cancel.

We've booked the Princess cruise based on itinerary, so unfortunately it's not on a newer ship but we're willing to give it a try. I think the Reflection episode just gave us that extra push to venture out. After all, no good moaning and then not doing anything about it. If we're not impressed, we'll reconsider our options for the next one - variety is the spice of life ;).

Have a great time and let me know what you think.

Yes, still on Eclipse (wherever we may dock is okay with us :)).

Agree with you - doesn't matter where we dock...

Shame you had to cancel.

We've booked the Princess cruise based on itinerary, so unfortunately it's not on a newer ship but we're willing to give it a try. I think the Reflection episode just gave us that extra push to venture out. After all, no good moaning and then not doing anything about it. If we're not impressed, we'll reconsider our options for the next one - variety is the spice of life ;).

Have a great time and let me know what you think.

Have a great time as well. It will be interesting to hear your views after and I'll share my thoughts as well!

Enjoy Eclipse in 90 days, but who's counting ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Curious - which ship did you book?

The Grand from San Francisco to Alaska. Looking forward to spending a few days on the West Coast before we sail (not been there since our honeymoon), and we're considering stopping off in Las Vegas on the way over too (not visited there previously - any recommendations would be greatly received ;)). We realise it's an older ship, but it will be something else to experience and Alaska is one of our favourite cruise areas - the boys can't wait to go back.

We're still hoping our Eclipse Christmas sailing will be the X that we are used to sailing on. I'll let you know if it's similar to Reflection - I'm hoping that was just a one off 'blip' :o. I keep having nightmares about the Benidorm like-feel of all those towels on the lawn...lol ;p.

I am the OP on this thread. We are back home now and had a wonderful time on this cruise. It was in the top three of eight cruises we have been on so far.

I do have some possible insight as to why Celebrity had to take this extreme action of trying to bump us involantarily. The ship was full of "affinity cruisers". Some maybe all were members of a literary group and an author was on the ship and conducted seminars on his work.

I suspect that late bookers of this cruise by members of this large group (maybe half the ship) led Celebrity to try to bump us to make room for them. Is this good business practice on Celebrity's part. Well, maybe. They certainly p%$#@ off me but maybe it generated enough good will on the part of the affinity group to make it worthwhile.

I have heard of these affinity groups previously but had no idea that they could be so large. I must say that other than seeing a large number of people with strange badges dangling from their necks, this group had no impact on our cruise experience.

Will we ever cruise with Celebrity again? Don't know.

David