Power Strips

navybaby1113

Also, OP, bear in mind that the one outlet* in the cabin is usually far away from the bed. (I obviously haven't been in every cabin but it's been that way in the ones I've been in). So if you plan on night-time charging and using your phone or tablet or laptop or whatever while in bed, bring an extension cord. We had to get one for my wife's cpap. You can get an extension cord with three outlets at the end so you can run a few things at the same time.

*the one American style outlet. If you bring a euro>US adapter you can use the Euro outlet too. But they are both still over by the vanity which is pretty far from the bed.

I had the first surge protector listed on this thread (as I took a recommendation from here and did NOT realize it was a surge protector) and they took it away. They also opened my allergy-free liquid detergent to see if it was smuggled alcohol. It wasn't, so they put it back, but did not close it all the way and my books and stuff got ruined.

Don't be me. :) Don't bring a surge protector. It's unsafe and a pain when your luggage is confiscated.

Thank y'all for the information! Not interested in getting a surge protector, just a power strip to give me a few more outlets and allow me to charge with a USB cord.

I use a 4 port USB splitter that has a European 2 prong plug. That takes care of our recharging devices needs and leaves the US style outlets for other purposes.

This isn't the specific one, but something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVKR92Y

• 3 months later...

Think about what you will plug into the strip or adapter... good rule of thumb... nothing that has a three prong plug.

Reason? A three prong plug needs a proper ground to be safe and the ship does not provide it.

Electronics usually have two prong plugs, like a USB charger. My work laptop has a three prong plug... I would not bring that. But my tablet and phone has a USB charger... that is OK. You only want stuff that does not draw much current.

The purpose of the GROUND prong is for your safety. It is connected to the hull of the ship. Should the insulation inside the device you have brought aboard fail there is a chance that the exposed metal parts of device will become energized. You could receive a lethal shock if you touch the device. The ground connection will carry the current after an insulation failure and trip the circuit breaker in short order.

How come some devices have a two terminal power cord? Those devices are "double insulated" and have an intrinsic protection system so the ground is not required. You are perfectly safe using grounded or ungrounded devices on the ship.

I prepare theatrical sound and lighting equipment for use aboard ships. I remove MOV's (metal oxide varistors) and capacitors connected across the power terminals and those connected to ground. I then test the device with 1500 volts between the power terminals and ground to assure the insulation system is working properly, and that there are no devices that might have been missed. Since ships' wiring has both conductors above ground, and no grounded neutral like North American wiring the power switches are changed to break both incoming power conductors, so when the device is switched off there will be no "live" voltage inside the equipment beyond the switch.

Think about what you will plug into the strip or adapter... good rule of thumb... nothing that has a three prong plug.

Reason? A three prong plug needs a proper ground to be safe and the ship does not provide it.

Electronics usually have two prong plugs, like a USB charger. My work laptop has a three prong plug... I would not bring that. But my tablet and phone has a USB charger... that is OK. You only want stuff that does not draw much current.

The third prong or ground isn’t used on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Neither of these statements are correct, and movieola is spot on with his/her description. The ground is used on ships, for the same reason it is used on land, to provide a safe path for current should the insulation on the wiring or device fail, to protect you from electric shock. So, yes, a 3-prong plug is recommended. Even many of the European outlets will have a ground connection, it is the two metal prongs at the outer edge of the round recess of the outlet.

What is different is that on land, one of the two wires that carries electricity in normal operation is also connected to ground, so your system doesn't care whether the current is carried in the neutral wire or the ground wire, it is all the same to the wiring, and still protects you, even if the neutral wire insulation goes bad. On a ship, as noted, the ground is the hull of the ship, and you don't want current flowing in the hull, as it causes corrosion. So, what would be the "neutral" or white wire in land wiring, is not connected to the ground. So, if the insulation in the neutral wire is bad, and current flows to the ground, it can be detected and the insulation repaired or the device replaced.

I've never said the ship does not have a ground, I've always said the ship has a "floating" ground (and floating does not refer to what the ship does in water).

Neither of these statements are correct, and movieola is spot on with his/her description. The ground is used on ships, for the same reason it is used on land, to provide a safe path for current should the insulation on the wiring or device fail, to protect you from electric shock. So, yes, a 3-prong plug is recommended. Even many of the European outlets will have a ground connection, it is the two metal prongs at the outer edge of the round recess of the outlet.

What is different is that on land, one of the two wires that carries electricity in normal operation is also connected to ground, so your system doesn't care whether the current is carried in the neutral wire or the ground wire, it is all the same to the wiring, and still protects you, even if the neutral wire insulation goes bad. On a ship, as noted, the ground is the hull of the ship, and you don't want current flowing in the hull, as it causes corrosion. So, what would be the "neutral" or white wire in land wiring, is not connected to the ground. So, if the insulation in the neutral wire is bad, and current flows to the ground, it can be detected and the insulation repaired or the device replaced.

I've never said the ship does not have a ground, I've always said the ship has a "floating" ground (and floating does not refer to what the ship does in water).

Wow! I’m extremely impressed with your knowledge. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Wow! I’m extremely impressed with your knowledge. Thank you for sharing it with us.

If there is anyone on CC that is more knowledgeable than Chief (chengkp75) on large ship infrastructure, I don't know who they are. His comments are pretty much gold. :)

• 1 month later...