Motion Sickness Meds - What do you Recommend

mallie24

I find that where I am on the ship makes a difference in how I feel.

Got off Regatta today. Our cabin was on 4, midships. A couple of times, I felt slightly queasy in the card room (deck 9, forward), but felt fine after returning to my cabin and drinking ginger ale.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The card room is especially challenging because it is small and there is a large window. Any ship motion and you will see the horizon moving up and down but you don't get enough of a view to orient you, as you would on deck or in Horizons. If you're subject to motion sickness, as I am, it can be good to face away from the window to avoid queasiness. I also make a point of facing forward and not looking out the windows in the dining room. Every little bit helps. Check out at website gingerpeople for really great ginger candy.

Mary

We were on a Norwegian ship during rough weather and they had bowls of ginger candy all over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I take candied ginger or "raw" ginger lollies, plus a bottle of ginger beer cordial with me when I cruise in seas likely to be rough.

I’ve used the “patch” for cruises , only side effect was dry mouth except the time we were on a 30 day cruise. When I took the patch off, I had severe withdrawal symptoms. I had to put a patch back on to feel better and kept it on to “wear off” slowly.

I’ve used the “patch” for cruises , only side effect was dry mouth except the time we were on a 30 day cruise. When I took the patch off, I had severe withdrawal symptoms. I had to put a patch back on to feel better and kept it on to “wear off” slowly.

I learned the same lesson about the patch, after a small ship cruise that included Cape Horn. No problems on the cruise but shakes, hot and cold feelings, sweating, when I took the patch off as soon as I got home. Since then, I just leave it on for another three days after its "remove" date and let it wear off gradually.

Considering the two posts above, why bother with the messy patch when Bonine has essentially no side effects and should be taken only when rough seas are anticipated rather than continuously.

It also does not require a prescription, unlike the patch.

To each their own :)

On RCL ships i have always been able to obtain pills (as seen below) with the active ingredient Meclizine HCL, from either the front desk or the dispensery. (I find Meclizine HCL works best for me). Are they available on O. ships? In Canada, I am unable to locate any anti-nausea pills with this as the active ingredient.

0c6836359130e21fad486b20cd39f231.jpg

Samsung Tab E

On RCL ships i have always been able to obtain pills (as seen below) with the active ingredient Meclizine HCL, from either the front desk or the dispensery. (I find Meclizine HCL works best for me). Are they available on O. ships? In Canada, I am unable to locate any anti-nausea pills with this as the active ingredient.

0c6836359130e21fad486b20cd39f231.jpg

Samsung Tab E

Bonine is Meclizine.

Next time you visit US, stop in a drug store and get some :)

Considering the two posts above, why bother with the messy patch when Bonine has essentially no side effects and should be taken only when rough seas are anticipated rather than continuously.

It also does not require a prescription, unlike the patch.

To each their own :)

Because Bonine does not work for everyone. It does nothing for me. The patch is not messy and it does work for me.

Because Bonine does not work for everyone. It does nothing for me. The patch is not messy and it does work for me.

That is a very good reason (but it is "messier" than Bonine - have to wash your hands well, gets sticky after a while, hard to shower with, etc :D)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bonine Is good, but I found Motioneze.

It is small liquid bottle. You use once you start feeling sea sick. Rub a couple of drops behind your ears. Works wonders! Better than anything I ever used. Usually once you start feeling sea sick, nothing really works well, but this does.

Available in the US and online in Canada. About $22 Canadian for a tiny bottle.

• 2 weeks later...
Scopolamine patches (need doctor's prescription) is the gold standard.

True but be aware it can dilate your eyes. After a few days mine are so dilated that I can’t read.

You also have to be very careful when you handle the patch to wash your hands and not touch your eyes. Otherwise they will dilate faster.

I take the patch as a backup just in case the meclizine doesn’t work. But so far the meclizine has done the trick.

Travel gum - recommended by a pharmacist in Italy.

I know this is an old post however thought I would give my question a try. We bought travel gum in Italy several years ago and it worked very well for my husband. We live in the US and could purchase it via Amazon but they do not have it any more. Any ideas where we could buy more?