Motion Sickness Meds - What do you Recommend

mallie24

I get terribly seasick. I have tried Bomine, Dramamine, ginger and wrist bands. None of these worked for me. In 2009 we went on a cruise to Alaska and I tried the Patch www.transdermscop.com which is a prescription. It was absolutely incredible! I did activities I could never do before....float planes, helicopter rides and we even went out on a fast boat that was a very bumpy ride. It was almost like being on a jet ski. Ordinarily these activities would have made me violently ill. So for me, every cruise I go on I get the patch (prescription from my doctor) and just don't worry about it. I guess I am lucky that I have no side effects except a dry mouth which I can deal with.

It is great that it works for you - especially as it is the only thing that does.

Last time I used it (many years ago) I couldn't read the menu for dinner because of my dilated pupils. Also, it's messy and one has to be careful not to get the "stuff" in your eyes from your fingers.

Different things work well for different people. One has to find out what works best for THEM.

It is great that it works for you - especially as it is the only thing that does.

Last time I used it (many years ago) I couldn't read the menu for dinner because of my dilated pupils. Also, it's messy and one has to be careful not to get the "stuff" in your eyes from your fingers.

Different things work well for different people. One has to find out what works best for THEM.

I so have had the same experience Paul. My visual acuity was impacted and I also had "nightmares" which is another common side effect (*for me and others based on the package insert) ..and I felt "hung over" most of the time! (and not from the alcohol!) I think the pupil situation is from the "bella-donna" right?...which is what those "southern belles" used to put in their eyes to look "wide-eyed"!!! ???? back during "Gone With the Wind"???

I think I'm lucky enough to have finally "built up a tolerance level" and I don't get seasick anymore....But it is AWFUL when it does happen!!! As Paul said...use what works for you...but just please be cautious of some items!! LuAnn

If I had that side effect of course I would not use it. I realize that the Patch has side effects but so far it has allowed me to cruise with no side effects, and without getting seasick, so it has been a miracle for me! :)

On our most recent trip, Lisbon to Bilbao, aboard Sirena a number of passengers purchased the wristband thingy in the boutique that is supposed to alleviate motion sickness. I never heard any complaints with this but I also never thought the seas were anything truly serious to worry about either.

Of course, at my age I just naturally tend to bounce from wall-to-wall as I proceed down the ships' corridors and open spaces... :o

JMBobB

Sea bands work really well for me. We can't get Bonine or a patch here in Switzerland. Government considers them both dangerous. You can get the patch over the counter at Italian pharmacies though (at least, so said my doctor here in CH).

Bonine dangerous - really?

These are the listed side effects:

Side effects

Some common side effects such as drowsiness, dry mouth, and tiredness may occur. Meclizine has been shown to have fewer dry mouth side effects than the traditional treatment for motion sickness, transdermal scopolamine.[10] A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but immediate medical attention should be sought if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, and trouble breathing.[11]

Drowsiness

Drowsiness may result as a side effect of taking meclizine. Users are advised not to operate heavy machinery while under the influence. The consumption of alcohol while under the influence of meclizine may result in additional drowsiness.

Special considerations in the elderly

As with any anticholinergic agent, meclizine may cause confusion or aggravate symptoms in those with dementia in the geriatric population (older than 65 years). Therefore, caution should be used when administering meclizine to the elderly.[12]

Maybe if one has dimentia. Tylenol has more side effects listed (not to mention Aspirin :D):

Tylenol side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any signs of an allergic reaction to Tylenol: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

In rare cases, Tylenol may cause a severe skin reaction that can be fatal. This could occur even if you have taken acetaminophen in the past and had no reaction. Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor right away if you have skin redness or a rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling. If you have this type of reaction, you should never again take any medicine that contains acetaminophen.

Stop taking this medication and call your doctor at once if you have:

• nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite;
  • dark urine, clay-colored stools; or
  • jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Bonine dangerous - really?

These are the listed side effects:

Side effects

Some common side effects such as drowsiness, dry mouth, and tiredness may occur. Meclizine has been shown to have fewer dry mouth side effects than the traditional treatment for motion sickness, transdermal scopolamine.[10] A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but immediate medical attention should be sought if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, and trouble breathing.[11]

Drowsiness

Drowsiness may result as a side effect of taking meclizine. Users are advised not to operate heavy machinery while under the influence. The consumption of alcohol while under the influence of meclizine may result in additional drowsiness.

Special considerations in the elderly

As with any anticholinergic agent, meclizine may cause confusion or aggravate symptoms in those with dementia in the geriatric population (older than 65 years). Therefore, caution should be used when administering meclizine to the elderly.[12]

Maybe if one has dimentia. Tylenol has more side effects listed (not to mention Aspirin :D):

Tylenol side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any signs of an allergic reaction to Tylenol: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

In rare cases, Tylenol may cause a severe skin reaction that can be fatal. This could occur even if you have taken acetaminophen in the past and had no reaction. Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor right away if you have skin redness or a rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling. If you have this type of reaction, you should never again take any medicine that contains acetaminophen.

Stop taking this medication and call your doctor at once if you have:

• nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite;
  • dark urine, clay-colored stools; or
  • jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

So again, this is why these threads make me nervous.

What your post doesn't include are potential drug-drug interactions. People taking certain common medications should be aware of those potential interactions when taking Bonine (or any other therapeutic agent).

Again - this is where getting person-specific medical advice is best left to patients and their doctor and/or pharmacist who is aware of an individual's medical history and status.

Google is a wonderful tool, but as of yet there is no Google School of Medicine or Google School of Pharmacy.

What your post doesn't include are potential drug-drug interactions. People taking certain common medications should be aware of those potential interactions when taking Bonine (or any other therapeutic agent).

Again - this is where getting person-specific medical advice is best left to patients and their doctor and/or pharmacist who is aware of an individual's medical history and status.

Google is a wonderful tool, but as of yet there is no Google School of Medicine or Google School of Pharmacy.

As a "better than average qualified " poster for this subject,I will have to agree with Mark. First of all different individuals respond differently to "symptomatic " remedies such as meds for headaches ,"stomach" pains, and "motion sickness". Also EVERY medication has side-effects,some worse than others. Threads like this serve only one "useful" purpose: posting out of boredom and wanting to have a "conversation". Otherwise,it doesn't help the next person reading about all the DIFFERENT meds and remedies for "motion sickness". As Mark said,the only safe thing to do is asking your doctor ,and take what he recommends,and if it doesn't work,ask him for a different med for your next cruise !!

I hope I am not stepping on too many toes by my comments

Perhaps you should petition FDA to remove Bonine from the OTC medication list and place it on the doctor prescribed list of medications.

This quote is from the FDA's website (using Google):

What are over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and how are they approved?

OTC drugs are drugs that have been found to be safe and appropriate for use without the supervision of a health care professional such as a physician, and they can be purchased by consumers without a prescription.

That said, all medications do have side effects and drug interactions but apparently FDA felt comfortable enough to allow people to use Bonine without doctor's advice. And that is saying a lot in our current litigious society.

That is all I have to say on this subject - everyone has to decide for themselves what is the best and safest way to go for them. The poorer one's health is and the more medications one uses, the more guidance they need from the professionals.

Edited by Paulchili

Perhaps you should petition FDA to remove Bonine from the OTC medication list and place it on the doctor prescribed list of medications.

This quote is from the FDA's website (using Google):

What are over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and how are they approved?

OTC drugs are drugs that have been found to be safe and appropriate for use without the supervision of a health care professional such as a physician, and they can be purchased by consumers without a prescription.

That said, all medications do have side effects and drug interactions but apparently FDA felt comfortable enough to allow people to use Bonine without doctor's advice. And that is saying a lot in our current litigious society.

That is all I have to say on this subject - everyone has to decide for themselves what is the best and safest way to go for them. The poorer one's health is and the more medications one uses, the more guidance they need from the professionals.

I certainly agree with your last statement.

It's been well-established here that the typical Oceania passenger is not a spring chicken.

Older people often take medications which means it's even more important to check with a health professional when considering taking additional medicines.

Not sure what your point was with the beginning of your reply. Maybe just a little defensiveness?

I'm quite familiar with the FDA and its approval processes for assessing various medications.

Since some have adopted the "cut and paste" approach to medical counseling, here's more thorough information and advice from the FDA that is specifically geared towards older adults. Needless to say, the principles generally apply to everyone.

Sometimes it's important to read more than the first sentence or two.

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/ucm163959.htm

It would appear that the FDA doesn't recommend that you leave your doctor and/or pharmacist out of the loop.

I think merely making suggestions is fine, assuming the result is consultation with one's own doctor about the suitability of the suggested item for the particular individual. That should go without saying.

• 1 month later...

I find that where I am on the ship makes a difference in how I feel.

Got off Regatta today. Our cabin was on 4, midships. A couple of times, I felt slightly queasy in the card room (deck 9, forward), but felt fine after returning to my cabin and drinking ginger ale.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app