When You Find Out The Cruise Director and other Names

Bootman4U

What DO you do? Cancel? Breathe a sigh of relief?

Same thing with menus.

Do you do all of this before or after your so-called "drop dead day?"

BTW, do any of these things ever change?

Thank you.

I make zero effort to find out who the Cruise Director or other officers are on my cruise. They have very minimal effect on my cruising experience. Menus are pretty much going to be the same as my other cruises so I don't pay much attention to them either. I know that no matter what I'm going to find good food somewhere on the ship on any given day.

I find the questions needing to know about the captain, crew or cruise directors humorous. I often wonder why and the OP's questions make me wonder what difference it makes.

I never heard anyone asking about a hotel manager or staff or asking about an aircraft captain and crew but for some reason the ships captain and cruise director seems to be important to them.

Don't get me wrong, staff needs to be there but, are there really people out there that would not book a cruise or cancel (as the OP seems to indicate) if the right cruise director is not on board? Oh and the menu too? :)

By the way, NCL is not the only forum where the crew question comes up.

I think the rotation is 10 weeks on, 10 weeks off, and they do change ships from time to time.

I would say that I've noticed the crew's attitude descends from the Captain's and the Hotel Director's, so it could make a minor difference, but not a great one. Some Captains seem to be brand ambassadors and some are boat drivers and middle managers. So, knowing the Captain might give you some idea of how the crew will be. Might.

Hotel directors define your experience by their leadership, but I think a more important (unpredictable) factor is the number and makeup of passengers on a specific cruise. If you are with a bunch of newbies who think inside cabins have fireplaces and windows and you get to eat lobster every night, then you're going to have a bad vibe onboard quickly. If you're on a Transatlantic with a bunch of people that could probably run the ship if the crew was incapacitated, then it will be better - unless you hate know-it-alls.

Cruise Directors should be visible - some are, some aren't. I don't get the love for certain CDs, but I've never really noticed one over another except for the one we've actually befriended.

My favorite post in the crew topic is something like "We had Steve. It was great. We love Steve."

Uh, ship? date? position?

People get excited about the strangest things. If you are that close to the crew, wouldn't you just ask them on Facebook when they will be sailing and where?

Edited by xriva

You will not know.

People ask all the time, and somehow assume the person onboard will still be there when they board. Maybe, maybe not. And, nobody knows if this will be a good week, or bad week for the staff.

The menus get posted here every few days and pretty much the same, fleet wide. And, like the other question... will the cook be on top of his game this week, or not?

And will the xxxxx really taste good to you, or will you have an off week.

I find the questions needing to know about the captain, crew or cruise directors humorous. I often wonder why and the OP's questions make me wonder what difference it makes.

I never heard anyone asking about a hotel manager or staff or asking about an aircraft captain and crew but for some reason the ships captain and cruise director seems to be important to them.

Don't get me wrong, staff needs to be there but, are there really people out there that would not book a cruise or cancel (as the OP seems to indicate) if the right cruise director is not on board? Oh and the menu too? :)

By the way, NCL is not the only forum where the crew question comes up.

At platinum plus we get a free diner with an officer.

Our last cruise we canceled it last minute as we did not want to break bread with the H.D. and had dinned with the captian twice before. :(

I don't think it is a make or break thing, though some can be much better and more personable than others. I think it is a case where some have become friendly with many officers and other crew over the years and like to know which will be sailing with them. And it is easier to find out about officers than specific other crew.

Our last cruise we canceled it last minute as we did not want to break bread with the H.D. and had dinned with the captian twice before. :(

You must be higher ranking than us. We had dinner with the assistant guest services manager. It was a very interesting conversation. There are a lot of officers onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, somehow that makes you special? :rolleyes:

You actually cancelled the cruise? Could you not just have skipped the dinner? How entitled of you :D

I make zero effort to find out who the Cruise Director or other officers are on my cruise. They have very minimal effect on my cruising experience. Menus are pretty much going to be the same as my other cruises so I don't pay much attention to them either. I know that no matter what I'm going to find good food somewhere on the ship on any given day.

My feelings exactly!

You're misreading. They did cancel the dinner, NOT the cruise!

Not so sure about that. I reread it multiple times and it could be interpreted either way.

I did re-read it and you are right, it could be taken both ways but my comments stand because regardless if they cancelled the cruise or dinner, the person (in this case the Hotel Director) was not "high" enough to have dinner with.

I liken people like that the same as groupies of pop stars...they like to be seen with the "brass".

I did re-read it and you are right, it could be taken both ways but my comments stand because regardless if they cancelled the cruise or dinner, the person (in this case the Hotel Director) was not "high" enough to have dinner with.

I liken people like that the same as groupies of pop stars...they like to be seen with the "brass".

Nope ,I find the H.D Loud and full of himself after 8 sailing with him I would not enjoy dinning with him and his story's of " The Big Red Boat ". :(

I totally agree with you. It makes no difference to me who the officers are, as long as they do their jobs professionally. I do enjoy meeting with them at the Meet and Greet.

As far as knowing what the menus are ahead of time, I couldn't care less. I know that I'll always find something to enjoy.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of something being a "Haven and suite thing" except perhaps jealousy by some who aren't there.

You really think the Hotel Director/F&B Director etc is going to shake 4000 hands, or just the 50 in the Haven?

If you're not going to come across them,

They have very minimal effect on my cruising experience

I think it's a Haven and Suite thing.......travelling cattle class you're not likely to come across many of the top brass very often.

If you have a good cruise director, you will see him/her around. We were in cattle class multiple times and met the cruise director, and he would say "Hi!' whenever our paths crossed.

You should be able to see the Hotel Director if he (are there any shes?) practices Management By Walking Around. If he's in his office all day, it's not going to be as good a cruise - people seem to work a wee bit harder if the boss may wander by at any time.

Same with the Captain. Some walk the ship, some stay on the bridge.

I found this question a bit comical because it all depends on why the person is asking. Personally, I love to know simply because I hope to see directors we have seen in the past! We have cruised every year during the same month since 2010. I ask because we have now had several of the directors on the ship with us year after year and I love seeing them again and reconnecting. It amazes me that people say they never interact with them. They are everywhere and so friendly. I have also found that they are your best resource if any issues come up. If you don't tell anyone while you are on the ship, there is no point of complaining or sharing it afterwards. Any time we have had an issue, they (meaning the officers/directors) have always gone above and beyond to make it right. We are not platinum and travel just like any other cruiser. We LOVE NCL and their Officers/Directors!