Ever Been Turned Away From A Restaurant on an NCL ship...!

Yo Adrienne

I fully understand restaurant dress codes which are, unfortunately, sometimes grossly discriminatory. We once entered a restaurant for which we had a reservation and one of the men present was wearing an un-collared shirt under his jacket. We got seated but THEN a restaurant employee appeared and told the person he would have to put his jacket BACK ON because of the shirt.

One of the others looked around and asked why the several bare-shouldered WOMEN were not being asked the same thing. The jacket stayed off.

Not shirts, but jeans...

We were on an Alaskan cruise, and hubby only brought jeans, and we were seated each night in the main MDR no problem. Next cruise (European), hubby only brought jeans and the second night we were politely told that they couldn't seat us because of his jeans, but that we could go to the smaller MDR no problem. I was confused why it was OK first night, but not second (or subsequent) nights. Turns out the rules are more lenient on the first night because some passengers might not have gotten their luggage before dinnertime.

Also, I've heard on this board that it varies ship-to-ship, and it appears to be also possibly itinerary-by-itinerary.

--Michael

I got turned away from one of the smaller regular restaurants on either the Epic or Breakaway (I can't remember which) because I was wearing a tank top. Now, the dress code specifically says that tank tops are prohibited for males and says nothing about them being prohibited for women, but I didn't feel like arguing it. Plus, it was the last night and I'd already packed all of my stuff, so I just went to the buffet.

Not shirts, but jeans...

We were on an Alaskan cruise, and hubby only brought jeans, and we were seated each night in the main MDR no problem. Next cruise (European), hubby only brought jeans and the second night we were politely told that they couldn't seat us because of his jeans, but that we could go to the smaller MDR no problem. I was confused why it was OK first night, but not second (or subsequent) nights. Turns out the rules are more lenient on the first night because some passengers might not have gotten their luggage before dinnertime.

Also, I've heard on this board that it varies ship-to-ship, and it appears to be also possibly itinerary-by-itinerary.

--Michael

Some of the newer ships do have their own rules, but they are even more relaxed than the standard NCL dress code, rather than stricter, allowing shorts in the formal MDR. I have never heard of one which is stricter than the standard, which has never prohibited jeans by the way. It only specifies "long" pants. Perhaps because of the guest mix on your European cruise, the ship felt most would be expecting something a little dressier.

When the code deviates, I've always heard that it is noted in the Freestyle Daily. Would be nice to know what's expected when you pack however. Personally, I think the practice of each ship making up their own rules is a bad one. Why should the Escape, for example, be any less formal than one of the older ship like the Dawn?

I've been turned away for wearing a pressed polo shirt with smart tailored shorts and deck shoes to the MDR. I went back to my cabin and replaced the shorts with Nike tracksuit trousers, with the matching tracksuit top (over the polo, with the collar visible) and Nike trainers, and presented myself again at the MDR. Apparently a tracksuit is acceptable, but smart-casual (with shorts) is not.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a thong? :)

At the pool or beach but not in a restaurant. I'm just saying it should be common sense to put on a cover-up when coming into a place where folks are eating. I don't want to have a nicked behind in my face while eating my food. Not a pretty sight. But maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I have not seen that! We have been cruising for several years and have noticed a great unconcern for dress codes. There are some nights when we want a 'formal' atmosphere. Even on lines that still have formal nights, we see people in shorts and flip flops in the formal dining room, even though there are buffets and informal dining. The specialty dining, even when at an added charge, is a way to hopefully provide a special evening for those who want it. I have been turned away from a resort restaurant for not having a jacket at a smart casual venue, so I know it does happen.

It's never happened to us, but last year on the Norwegian Jewel we were going to the Tsar's Palace (the more upscale of the two Jewel MDRs) and saw two middle-aged guys walking the other way wearing shorts and loudly grousing about being turned away.

We'll be on Deck 6 of the Star, right near the theatre and near most of the restaurants, for our honeymoon cruise this December: I'll probably wear shorts and a collared shirt the entire day, switch into pants for dinner only, then switch back before the nightly show. This is also a good way of not having to pack a lot of bulky pants for a 14-day cruise near the equator.

Edited by RaiderDuck

fet.

I think that's Great! Some people just don't know how to act and dress properly. This is a Specialty Restaurant not the buffet!. Many years ago I was staying at the Sheraton Towers in Singapore. Every room

has a Butler and I went to breakfast with a nice pair of leather sandals. They told me to return to my room and wear shoes and socks before they would seat me. I agreed with them 100%!

If you agreed, why did you first wear something that didn't meet the restaurants standard?

If you agreed, why did you first wear something that didn't meet the restaurants standard?

Well, it was my first time staying at a Sheraton Towers Hotel. I believe it was a new concept for Sheraton, but it was amazing service with a Butler on each floor. Every time we left the room the room was cleaned and something was left for us. Candies, cookies, candies and even wine. So when I went to breakfast the first morning and they turned me away, I laughed and said no problem and changed into shoes and socks.

Whenever I return to Singapore, I always stay at that hotel and wear my shoes when I go to Breakfast

I'll never forget getting turned away because of the sandals. And remember Gum is illegal in Singapore. $50 Fine.

Well, it was my first time staying at a Sheraton Towers Hotel. I believe it was a new concept for Sheraton, but it was amazing service with a Butler on each floor. Every time we left the room the room was cleaned and something was left for us. Candies, cookies, candies and even wine. So when I went to breakfast the first morning and they turned me away, I laughed and said no problem and changed into shoes and socks.

Whenever I return to Singapore, I always stay at that hotel and wear my shoes when I go to Breakfast

I'll never forget getting turned away because of the sandals. And remember Gum is illegal in Singapore. $50 Fine.

Great story!

On the Epic - we had a man in our group wearing dress shorts and a nice polo. We were turned away and told he had to have fulll length pants on. There were people in the dining room that had clothes on that I would wear to wash my car! Unbelievable..