Sint Maarteen Update

Tony O

I read the article this morning at 5:30 and it sounds like wonderful news. I'm not sure what visitors will experience but it will be open for business. The money will help the businesses and the locals.

Wonder how many of the businesses are owned by locals. Will help locals who work in the businesses but the owners most likely and not locals.

Wonder how many of the businesses are owned by locals. Will help locals who work in the businesses but the owners most likely and not locals.

Diamonds International, Hard Rock Cafe aren't local but the smaller independent jewelry story's, small bars, jet ski rentals, chair rentals etc are. Money coming into the island is money moving and depending on the owner it will have different levels within the community. I agree though some shops will be more helpful than others.

Diamonds International, Hard Rock Cafe aren't local but the smaller independent jewelry story's, small bars, jet ski rentals, chair rentals etc are. Money coming into the island is money moving and depending on the owner it will have different levels within the community. I agree though some shops will be more helpful than others.

Definitely!

I have an early December cruise to St Maarten and I am hoping it's still stopping there. Even if there isn't much, I'd love to help then rebuild one way or another (donations, $ in to their economy, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the updated information/details in that piece.

It is terrific to hear the rebuild process is underway - we love this island and its people.

However...one has to be realistic. It will take a very long time to return to what used to be there to see as a visitor...the shops, the beaches, the eating locations (no news on Serafina on the French side that I have found yet). What there is to "see" as a" visitor/tourist" short term will be very limited for perhaps 6-12 months. As long as people realize this prior to arrival...it's great to see that many folks will support the recovery effort as well as return to their primary economic force - tourism.

Thanks for the updated information/details in that piece.

It is terrific to hear the rebuild process is underway - we love this island and its people.

However...one has to be realistic. It will take a very long time to return to what used to be there to see as a visitor...the shops, the beaches, the eating locations (no news on Serafina on the French side that I have found yet). What there is to "see" as a" visitor/tourist" short term will be very limited for perhaps 6-12 months. As long as people realize this prior to arrival...it's great to see that many folks will support the recovery effort as well as return to their primary economic force - tourism.

I would not expect to find the place to be anywhere near the same as when we last sailed away. It doesn't matter. When they are ready I am ready. I love that island.

Hope Maho beach is open. Love watching the planes coming in. Hope it's ready for my December sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The airport will eventually reopen. However, I suspect there will be a lot less flights coming in and out even when it reopens. With a decrease in tourism, there will most certainly be a decrease in air traffic :(

I was looking forward to taking my boys to Maho in December but I doubt that is happening.

Hope Maho beach is open. Love watching the planes coming in. Hope it's ready for my December sailing.

I read an article that the airport started accepting commercial flights again. I can't imagine there will be as many flights as normal, but I'm sure we can still see some action from Maho Beach!

I read an article that the airport started accepting commercial flights again. I can't imagine there will be as many flights as normal, but I'm sure we can still see some action from Maho Beach!

The airport will eventually reopen. However, I suspect there will be a lot less flights coming in and out even when it reopens. With a decrease in tourism, there will most certainly be a decrease in air traffic :(

I was looking forward to taking my boys to Maho in December but I doubt that is happening.

Maho Beach before :D and after Hurricane Irma :(

You may have to copy and paste link below

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/maho-beach-before-and-after-irma/

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Can anyone open the link or has it been removed? I can go to the site but not this particular article. Does it mention which ship? I checked Facebook article and some have asked but no answer. Also no mention of this on SMN news which is interesting.

Interesting...article on SMN news today shows the airport still closed to commercial and only open to relief flights.

Can anyone open the link or has it been removed? I can go to the site but not this particular article. Does it mention which ship? I checked Facebook article and some have asked but no answer. Also no mention of this on SMN news which is interesting.

Here's the article.

POINTE BLANCHE--The first cruise ship bringing passengers, not humanitarian aid, is expected back in port on St. Maarten Day, November 11.

"Though it is possible to welcome a ship as per November 1, the Port has identified the symbolic date of November 11, St. Maarten Day, to welcome the first ship back to St. Maarten," Tourism and Economic Affairs Minister Mellissa Arrindell-Doncher said.

She said in a statement to The Daily Herald that she hopes this will be enough time to have Philipsburg, in particular, properly cleaned up, the beach replenished and for tours with chosen routes.

“The importance of our cruise product cannot be underestimated and we will lend whatever support that we must to get the Port fully operational sooner rather than later,” the Minister said.

The damage inflicted on the Port by Hurricane Irma was described as “heavy” by the Minister and are estimated “in the millions.” However, Port management is busy normalizing operations at the facility.

The damage to the older of the two cruise piers is being addressed. Pier 2 was not damaged by the hurricane.

The home porting terminal has been severely damaged.

Ninety per cent of the perimeter fence, one of the two mobile passenger screening kiosks, the security command centre and several retail units were destroyed in the hurricane.

Damaged are all light poles on the piers, both Gottwald Mobile Crane and various units at Harbour Point Village.

The roof of the Cargo Terminal Office was blown off.

The Walter Plantz Square survived Irma in fairly good shape. Besides some blown-in windows, the units sustained minor damage and all roofs remain in fairly good shape. The water fountain and other amenities are being tested to determine damage, if any.

The Simpson Bay Causeway sustained technical damages. This prohibits the bridge swing from opening. Technicians have assessed damage and repairs will be executed as soon as their advice is received. Light poles and traffic lights on the Causeway were also damaged.

The John Sainsborough Lejuez Bridge (commonly called Simpson Bay Bridge) was not damaged by Irma.

Port officials have had a general assessment meeting with private tour operators, concessionaires and non-concessionaire operations. Of the water based tours, 62 per cent are operational. Of the land based tours 80 per cent are operational.

Port Management will brief the Council of Ministers today, Wednesday, about recovery progress to date and the outlook. Management has already briefed the Minister and her Cabinet on more than one occasion.

The Minister commended the Port team for immediately swinging into action to reopen the facilities for business via the cargo pier and getting a target date to welcome back cruise guests. (Photo courtesy Dutch Royal Marines.)