Discrepancy between US and Can funds

Can'tstopcruising

I remember reading on these boards a while back that most of the cruise lines only update their currency exchange every 3 months.

Sometimes you can get a deal this way, as I did back when our dollar started to drop and it was still almost at par on the cruise lines site, it didn't get changed for a couple of months. People on our cruise were actually buying OBC almost at par so they could get US cash at the guest relations desk and it would be cheaper than buying it at home.

Right now we're in the opposite position. Our dollar is better but it doesn't reflect on the cruise lines sites yet. Hope this helps.

I remember reading on these boards a while back that most of the cruise lines only update their currency exchange every 3 months.

Sometimes you can get a deal this way, as I did back when our dollar started to drop and it was still almost at par on the cruise lines site, it didn't get changed for a couple of months. People on our cruise were actually buying OBC almost at par so they could get US cash at the guest relations desk and it would be cheaper than buying it at home.

Right now we're in the opposite position. Our dollar is better but it doesn't reflect on the cruise lines sites yet. Hope this helps.

It has certainly been longer than 3 months since they adjusted their currency exchange. It has not changed since March and likely before that.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk

It has certainly been longer than 3 months since they adjusted their currency exchange. It has not changed since March and likely before that.

Hmm It might be because our exchange hasn't really changed too much until late this summer. I'd give them a quick call and ask when they last adjusted their currency rate and if they can tell you when they will do it again.

I do know it doesn't change automatically with the exchange. I believe they adjust it quarterly

Since the Canadian dollar has gone up quite a bit' date=' there is a discrepancy in prices US vs Can dollars.

When will Celebrity adjust these prices?[/quote']

I have a cruise booked and the rate for our particular cabin was at a 45% difference a few months ago. The rate difference has not been that high for many years. I contacted Celebrity and was told that the rates were set when the cruise first came out. Interesting. Since that time the US price is up so the difference is much closer to the actual rate. If I was to cancel and rebook I would lose the perks I have.

I do have one cruise booked in US funds so I am winning on that one. 😁

While waiting for the cruise, our Canadian friends also buy OBC to benefit outright from any forex gains in their favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know there have been at least two exchange adjustments. The first was back at the end of July, I actually called in to get an adjustment on the OBC we had purchased. At the same time they adjusted the pricing on excursions as well. The 2nd one was recently and the exchange for OBC purchases is down to $1.25, but for some reason they haven't adjusted the excursion prices like they did in July.

I know there have been at least two exchange adjustments. The first was back at the end of July, I actually called in to get an adjustment on the OBC we had purchased. At the same time they adjusted the pricing on excursions as well. The 2nd one was recently and the exchange for OBC purchases is down to $1.25, but for some reason they haven't adjusted the excursion prices like they did in July.
I haven't been watching OBC exchange prices but I have been carefully watching cruise prices to see currency exchange adjustments. There haven't been any since March. There have, however, been price adjustments with the different promotions. What I am waiting for is the CAD prices to match US prices (with current exchange rates obviously not dollar for dollar). This will save us several hundred dollars on our upcoming cruise as, when we booked, it was over 1.35 and now is down significantly.

Not that this answers the OP's question but I have found different sailings are not consistent in the exchange rate. I've seen cruises where the exchange rate was $1.35 and on the exact same date different cruises were $1.25-$1.40. I'm not sure X simply reprices the cruise in Canadian $ using a factor of the U.S. pricing.

Last summer I booked a U.K. Cruise and the price in U.S. $ was $2,200 and in Canadian $4,200. It seems there had been a price drop but they never repriced it in Canadian $. I wound up booking that in U.S. $ (I wonder why).

I watch UK prices rather than Canadian but I am sure that there will be similarities. Having watched exchange rates and Celebrity prices closely for years, I do not think that the OP should held their breath.

Celebrity did not noticeably adjust cruise prices in the UK after the pound crashed following the Brexit vote - even when the new season's cruises were released. In more than 10 years, I have never seen cruise prices noticeably follow exchange rates between the release of a cruise and sail date.

Perhaps it is different in the Canadian market but for the UK market, pricing appears to be more related to how many cruises they wish to sell in a market than applying any fixed exchange rate to a base price. Prices from the UK can be better in sterling than US dollars and v.v. for prices from the Caribbean.

Exchange rate adjustments do happen for cruise extras such as excursions, specialty dining and OBC but, again, these do not quickly or closely follow the currency market. As one poster mentioned, "bargains" can often happen in this area. My gut feeling for watching for years is that even extras are priced as much to meet a marketing strategy than a precise currency exchange rate,

We get quotes from our on line US TA. We also get quotes from Canadian TA's in CAD and in USD.

Invariably we book with our US on line TA. She gives us OBC's equal to anywhere from 8-12 percent of the commissionable fare. We typically book inside the final payment window so we are billed the day we book. But we use a credit card that charges us the actual exchange rate and does not add the hidden 2.5 percent admin fee on top of the exchange rate.

The only time in recent past that we have booked in Canada was last Oct. when Princess had a one day CAD currency at par sale on a South American cruise. All other times booking stateside was a better option for us. A few years ago we booked an RCI Australian cruise by calling RCI Australia direct. We realized a substantial discount (adjusted for currency) by doing this instead of booking with our US or CAD TA.

Princess adjusted their cabin rate due to currency from 1.30 to 1.20 Monday of this week. Maybe

that will put pressure on them to follow suit.

I bought on board credit with Princess earlier this week and received no such adjustment. They were still using the $1.30 rate.

Edited by ccotting
Additional clarity

I actually called Celebrity regarding this issue and the Consumer Outreach agent reached out to the Revenue department for me and this was their reply:

Your booked fare will not be adjusted. The exchange rate (e.g., 1.35, in my case) is locked / loaded / sealed at the time the cruise was released. Even though the exchange rate is hovering at ~ 1.24-1.25 at the moment, there is ZERO chance of having any fares adjusted, as it was 1.35 at the time the cruise was released.

Cruises released this December (2017) should be at a better value for Canucks.

I'm kicking myself (hindsight is 20/20) as my next cruise, I had the opportunity to book in USD, but I declined as our $ forecast was iffy in this past Spring. My loss! as IF I had paid in USD, I would have saved ~ $1500 in exchange differences.

So? Canadians, pay attention to the cruises released later this year - if what I was told is true; the time to plan & book will be with the new scheduled releases in December.

Heather

I actually called Celebrity regarding this issue and the Consumer Outreach agent reached out to the Revenue department for me and this was their reply:

Your booked fare will not be adjusted. The exchange rate (e.g., 1.35, in my case) is locked / loaded / sealed at the time the cruise was released. Even though the exchange rate is hovering at ~ 1.24-1.25 at the moment, there is ZERO chance of having any fares adjusted, as it was 1.35 at the time the cruise was released.

Cruises released this December (2017) should be at a better value for Canucks.

I'm kicking myself (hindsight is 20/20) as my next cruise, I had the opportunity to book in USD, but I declined as our $ forecast was iffy in this past Spring. My loss! as IF I had paid in USD, I would have saved ~ $1500 in exchange differences.

So? Canadians, pay attention to the cruises released later this year - if what I was told is true; the time to plan & book will be with the new scheduled releases in December.

Heather

If this is true, it will completely change the way that I book my cruises. This is news to me and contrary to what I have seen in the past. I am not a happy camper (cruiser) right now. :(:mad:

If this is true, it will completely change the way that I book my cruises. This is news to me and contrary to what I have seen in the past. I am not a happy camper (cruiser) right now. :(:mad:

I am kicking myself for not booking in USD, when I had the chance :(

It will be interesting come December, what the rates will be.

Heather

Princess adjusted their cabin rate due to currency from 1.30 to 1.20 Monday of this week. Maybe that will put pressure on them to follow suit.

I bought on board credit with Princess earlier this week and received no such adjustment. They were still using the $1.30 rate.

Yes, I noticed that too; that was why I only mentioned their cabin rate.

I recently booked our Christmas/New Years cruise through a Canadian travel agent and compared cad vs usd pricing. The cad rate was approx. 1.36 so I had them book in usd and that came through on my visa at 1.26%...not too bad.

Celebrity really needs to look at this discrepancy.

• 2 weeks later...

The Canadian rates for our January 2019 cruise just went down today. I haven't looked into whether the US prices also went down but Canadian rates for all cruises that I have made note of have dropped so I am thinking that they finally made the exchange adjustment that has been long overdue. My TA is on the phone with Celebrity making the necessary adjustments to our reservation.

The Canadian rates for our January 2019 cruise just went down today. I haven't looked into whether the US prices also went down but Canadian rates for all cruises that I have made note of have dropped so I am thinking that they finally made the exchange adjustment that has been long overdue. My TA is on the phone with Celebrity making the necessary adjustments to our reservation.

Yep. I just picked a random Feb 2019 cruise and the price in US was $679 and $839 in Canadian so about a 24% exchange. That's pretty decent. I booked my last two in US because it was so ridiculously high.