RCI tour Rome City Sights? Worth it?

October17

Has anyone done the short (bus only as I understand the description) RCI tour of Rome? ROME CITY SIGHTS, it is only 5 hours total. And I read that the round trip into Rome will be total 2-3 hours. So not much time in Rome... I'm starting to think I should change the booking for that tour.

I did Rome through cruisingexcursions.com. They took us in to the Colosseum and we could do our own thing for 5 hours. Met at the Vatican. Cost about £35pp. They do all sorts of different tours if you want a guide too.

Will be doing the same next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone done the short (bus only as I understand the description) RCI tour of Rome? ROME CITY SIGHTS, it is only 5 hours total. And I read that the round trip into Rome will be total 2-3 hours. So not much time in Rome... I'm starting to think I should change the booking for that tour.

That does not sound very long in Rome. There are lots of ways of getting to Rome - go to the Italy second of the Europe board and look at previous entries. There are lots of ways to get into Rome but you have to plan in advance and keep an eye on your watch !

As had been said, you can get to Rome many ways. One is on the train and the cost is much lower. When in Rome you can get a HOHO bus and take as long as you like seeing the sights. St Peters Basilica and The Vatican can take all day.

I would look into it a bit more before going with Royal. However you do get convenience and the knowledge that you will be back in plenty of time.

I did Rome through cruisingexcursions.com. They took us in to the Colosseum and we could do our own thing for 5 hours. Met at the Vatican. Cost about £35pp. They do all sorts of different tours if you want a guide too.

Will be doing the same next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same tour, essentially a means of getting there and back and you are free to explore as you like. On your tour I believe is the best way to explore Rome in my opinion.

I didn't have a good experience with cruisingexcursions so put off from using them again. In future, I would book a similar tour with RCL and pay the premium.

I can highly recommend romeinalimo fantastic company.

We've used RomeInLimo twice (including Rome), and had the best tours ever with their services.

You book a vehicle (based on number of passengers) - which can vary from a private sedan up to a nice passenger van. All are very comfortable and come with English-speaking guides. We saved a ton of time using them as well, since they can park very close to any excursion sights in contrast to bigger busses.

The cost per person is actually less than many of the cruise tours offered, especially if you reach out to fellow passengers ahead of time to share a passenger van. In our case, we had a total of 8 people and this worked out extremely well.

We hit all the great sights...and with a nice long port stop...we ended up with about 90 minutes of travel time to and from Rome to the port and the other 9+ hours at all the great sights...including the Vatican tour, Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, etc.

We did a similar 5 hour tour with RC when we did a TA B-B with Rome the departing port for the 2nd cruise. The ship left port at 5Pm. This tour was better than nothing for our short time in port. We saw many sites of Rome from the bus an had one stop for an hour at the St Peter's square. It was a taste of Rome and okay for some one who had never been to Rome. It cost $70 and was for B-B passengers.

We got together with three other couples from our roll call here and hired a private firm - perhaps one listed above, I can't remember. By the time we split the cost it was much cheaper plus they got us to the front of the queue at the Vatican and it was an amazing tour. Well worth it and they absolutely get you back to the ship on time - their business depends on it.

We used the RCI Express Train to Rome and it was a very fast, reliable way to get to Rome. You get from around 9:30am-4:00pm for touring on your own. And we just used MyTaxi to get from different cities, which was really cheap and a lot like Uber in the US. We used the taxi about 4-5 times and it was a TOTALL overall cost of about 50.00 USD

and a little tip, if going to the coliseum, you can buy your tickets across the street at Palatin Hill and there is no line for the tickets! We did it that way, bought our tickets and got straight into the Coliseum, no waiting and pretty cheap too!

• 11 months later...

Hi there! How much is the RCI train to Rome please. I believe we travelled on the train before whilst sailing on the Liberty of the Seas and the station in Rome was near to the Vatican. We explored Rome, had lunch:cool::cool: and then back in time for a train back to the station on the port but it was a while go. Can not remember if you can just book tickets for the train on board the ship , whether its part of an excursion or if you can book tickets on line.

We used one of the companies recommended around here (can't recall which) but basically just for transportation. The car hires are able to pick you up and drop you off right near the ship's gangway (vs. taking the shuttle out of the port) and as others have noted, can you get you closer to attractions than the big busses. We were dropped at the Colosseum and then did the whole day on our own. After the Colosseum, we toured the Forum, lunch in a café near Piazza (excellent), the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and the Piazza Navona (including gelato). Our driver picked us up there and swung by St. Peter's Square, where we spent a few minutes. He took us to what he called a local café that tourists don't know about (yeah right) for some espresso before driving us back to the ship. We walked the entire day. We put several miles in but it's doable if you are in reasonable shape. I think we had 8 hours total since we wanted to be back to the ship at least an hour before all aboard.