Deluxe Pkg, I just can't do it ....

In the past, I have always advocated the Deluxe Pkg. For us, it was a no brainer and worked well. But with a 14 day cruise coming up in May 2018, I just can't pull the trigger and purchase the Deluxe Pkg for the two of us. Not only is the cost a factor (over $1800) but to be honest, I just don't think we can drink 5 to 6 drinks per day for 14 days. When I factor in that we're going to want to enjoy the great European beers that will be available to us at the port some stops, to us it just doesn't make sense. If a discount is offered it might move the needle toward BUY, but as of right now, I don't think so.

How about some of you B2B cruisers, do you guys buy the deluxe pkg? or any cruisers of 14 days or longer?

At this point we can purchase the packages individually. We will make the Diamond level on day 6 of the cruise, but as I understand it will not make a difference until our next cruise. The good news is we did reserve our first Grand Suite. So I guess we can get a drink or two in the CL. But we will miss the ease and comfort of having the package.

Long time cruisers here. We have NEVER purchased the deluxe (or any) drink package...until this year.

We are doing B2B on the Harmony beginning Saturday. Earlier this summer they had a special that combined the Deluxe package and the VOOM package into one (don't remember the price). I did a little calculating and I think I'll break even at a minimum. It was essentially like paying for the drink package and getting the VOOM package for free so I pulled the trigger and did it.

This was a few weeks before Harmony implementing the requirement of having to buy the package for all guests in the same cabin so we just have it for me. My wife's drinks will be paid for on a drink by drink basis.

DD has requested the Deluxe package as this is her first sailing after turning 21. Looking at the drink package that includes one Voom device. I always buy the Voom and a soda package, so if I back out the a la carte prices of those, it looks like she has to drink 4-5 drinks a day to break even. On sea days (we have 6 of them), I can easily see that happening, but on the 5 port days, maybe not so easily? Add to that, we're diamond, so she will have her free drinks in the lounge each evening... just not sure it's worth the price. Maybe buy just for the novelty? She likes the idea of being able to try a drink, and if she doesn't like it, no worries, just get something else.

Am I missing anything here? Don't know why I'm stressing over it, it's just money. :-)

In the past, I have always advocated the Deluxe Pkg. For us, it was a no brainer and worked well. But with a 14 day cruise coming up in May 2018, I just can't pull the trigger and purchase the Deluxe Pkg for the two of us. Not only is the cost a factor (over $1800) but to be honest, I just don't think we can drink 5 to 6 drinks per day for 14 days. When I factor in that we're going to want to enjoy the great European beers that will be available to us at the port some stops, to us it just doesn't make sense. If a discount is offered it might move the needle toward BUY, but as of right now, I don't think so.

How about some of you B2B cruisers, do you guys buy the deluxe pkg? or any cruisers of 14 days or longer?

I bought it on my 7 Day med cruise, because with the 12% VAT, prices per drink were pretty crazy. Plus I drink a lot of water and enjoy having the fresh OJ in the morning. I definitely got my moneys worth, maybe 3-4 drinks a day, 2-3 bottles of water, 3-4 cups of espresso based coffee a day...plus theres just the added bonus of not seeing you seapass at the end of the cruise explode :o

We were on the Navigaor last week. With a large gin and tonic $8.50, we would have needed to drink 7 a night to break even. Every night for 14 days? If you are an alcoholic then go for it. We would prefer to wake up without a hangover and be able to see the ports we visit.....

I'm on a TA in November 9th this year, I considered about getting a booze package, but I just can't justify dropping 908CAD (14 * 55 * 1.18) for it. When the cost of an interior cabin was 899CAD. I would rather save the money for a future cruise.

Sure having a drink is great, but oh boy are those overpriced drinks.

Don't overlook the fact that you may want nonalcoholic drinks. Everyone says they can't drink that much per day, but they overlook that they may want bottled water, soda, fresh squeezed OJ, specialty coffee, etc.

Pricing varies from ship-to-ship, slightly, but on the Navigator earlier this year a can of soda was around $4 and bottled water around $3. You can take bottled water on shore excursions, back to cabin, etc. That adds up! Not just the alcoholic drinks.

It is just me, and I am not trying to dictate to anyone else, but I would not consider buying the drink package. Between the two bottles of wine I can bring on, a few free drinks here and there, and the purchase of a couple, that is really about all I can drink. I like my coffee plain, don't drink sodas or juices, so nonalcoholic drinks the cruise provides are fine. We were on the Oasis in early Sept. and I only ended up buying 1 drink during the entire cruise at the floating bar in Labadee. But I have to admit, on my next cruise I will be Diamond, and am really looking forward to the cocktail hours.

At this point we can purchase the packages individually. We will make the Diamond level on day 6 of the cruise, but as I understand it will not make a difference until our next cruise. The good news is we did reserve our first Grand Suite. So I guess we can get a drink or two in the CL. But we will miss the ease and comfort of having the package.

Sounds like you may want to make a 6 day cruise soon.

Don't overlook the fact that you may want nonalcoholic drinks. Everyone says they can't drink that much per day, but they overlook that they may want bottled water, soda, fresh squeezed OJ, specialty coffee, etc.

Pricing varies from ship-to-ship, slightly, but on the Navigator earlier this year a can of soda was around $4 and bottled water around $3. You can take bottled water on shore excursions, back to cabin, etc. That adds up! Not just the alcoholic drinks.

Order for the minibar in your stateroom and sodas go down to $1.67 ($1.97 with the 18% tax).

In most ports you can easily buy soda (or water) for vastly cheaper prices.

...unless I've been told wrong, a Grand Suite will offer us drinks in the CL each night. Do they place 3 freed drinks on our Sea Pass for each night as well?
I am pretty sure the 3 drinks on the Sea Pass are Diamond only. But with port intensive, local beers ashore and the CL drinks there is no way I would get an additional $1800 worth out of the package, and I would buy by the drink. YMMV.

This is tempting. ;) But unless I've been told wrong, a Grand Suite will offer us drinks in the CL each night. Do they place 3 freed drinks on our Sea Pass for each night as well?

GS you can use concierge or suite lounge but no 3 drinks as far as I know, but I am also diamond

I am pretty sure the 3 drinks on the Sea Pass are Diamond only. But with port intensive, local beers ashore and the CL drinks there is no way I would get an additional $1800 worth out of the package, and I would buy by the drink. YMMV.

If your into wine, might want drink package I consider the red wine in concierge/suite/diamond as swill , but like the champagne. sparkling wine.

We were on the Navigaor last week. With a large gin and tonic $8.50, we would have needed to drink 7 a night to break even. Every night for 14 days? If you are an alcoholic then go for it. We would prefer to wake up without a hangover and be able to see the ports we visit.....

You are thinking about it all wrong. With the Deluxe package you not only get the alcohol but all the drinks from the mid-tier package and the bottom level package. So say the mid-tier package which includes all soda, bottled water and premium coffees is 26 dollars a day per person. Say the Deluxe package is 55 dollars a day per person. So that is a 29 dollar per day difference. That is just 2 premium 13 dollar cocktails and a bottle of water to break even.

Look at it another way... So say you get a couple bottles of water and a premium coffee type drink. That takes care of the first 15 - 20 dollars per day from your 55 dollars. So that leaves you with 35 to 40 dollars to reach break even (or being in the money as I say). You get just 2 premium type alcoholic drinks at 13 dollars each, there is 26 leaving you at 9 to 14 dollars left to break even per day. That is say a second coffee or a premium juice type drink from the Promenade Cafe. Or.... say you roll over that 14 dollars to the next day which is a sea day. Sit around the pool and order 3 to 4 of those premium 13 dollar drinks and you break even for that day and make up for the previous day. Very easy to do.

DH and I are not huge drinkers and neither of us drink coffee, but we both enjoy our soda. The classic soda package is around $100 pp for a 7 night cruise once you factor in gratuity/fees. It's definitely better on the ships with the freestyle machines, because then we can enjoy flavored waters as well. On our cruise last month on the Explorer, they were offering a drink card that you could purchase starting I think on day 3 of the cruise. It was $75 for 10 drinks and could be shared. That was perfect for us and definitely a good savings on the nights we wanted a cocktail or two. Unfortunately I don't think they offer that on all sailings/ships, but it can't hurt to ask!

I feel like if I bought the package, I'd be constantly feeling like I had to get my money's worth and probably wouldn't remember most of my vacation! (I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol though, so a little goes a long way!) :')

You are thinking about it all wrong. With the Deluxe package you not only get the alcohol but all the drinks from the mid-tier package and the bottom level package. So say the mid-tier package which includes all soda, bottled water and premium coffees is 26 dollars a day per person. Say the Deluxe package is 55 dollars a day per person. So that is a 29 dollar per day difference. That is just 2 premium 13 dollar cocktails and a bottle of water to break even.

Look at it another way... So say you get a couple bottles of water and a premium coffee type drink. That takes care of the first 15 - 20 dollars per day from your 55 dollars. So that leaves you with 35 to 40 dollars to reach break even (or being in the money as I say). You get just 2 premium type alcoholic drinks at 13 dollars each, there is 26 leaving you at 9 to 14 dollars left to break even per day. That is say a second coffee or a premium juice type drink from the Promenade Cafe. Or.... say you roll over that 14 dollars to the next day which is a sea day. Sit around the pool and order 3 to 4 of those premium 13 dollar drinks and you break even for that day and make up for the previous day. Very easy to do.

But I am not a water snob - the water from the tap is fine for me. I do not drink so called premium coffee or soda. I would only use the drinks package for alcohol

Order for the minibar in your stateroom and sodas go down to $1.67 ($1.97 with the 18% tax).

In most ports you can easily buy soda (or water) for vastly cheaper prices.

Interesting. Are these full size cans or are they smaller ones?