Breakaway heading to New Orleans

TheDougOut

Nice to have another NOLA option. Just another reason to go eat awesome food and sail somewhere.

Hopefully, the pricing should be lower to reflect the downgrade from the Breakaway to the Gem. Having sailed on both ships last year from NY there really is a big difference between these 2 ships and what they offer on board in all areas -- food options, entertainment, on-board activities. Breakaway justifiably can command higher pricing than the Gem. Gem just doesn't offer passengers as many things to do on board. IMO Gem really needs to be upgraded in many areas.

MARAPRINCE

How will the Breakaway get to NOLA? Will the TA from Copenhagen be changed or will there be a new cruise from NYC to NOLA? Would love that.

it will be a new cruise. One cruise from Copenhagen to NYC like what they currently have now and then a new cruise from NYC to NOLA

Here's a summary of what's been posted in the press release and letter to guests.

Breakaway replaces Gem from October 28, 2018 onward. Cruises before this date, including the transatlantic and one Caribbean itinerary are unaffected.

If you are currently booked on Gem, your reservation will be protected and automatically transferred to Breakaway. Reservations are still open for these dates (as Gem but this will be changed by October 24). Itineraries should remain the same.

If you are currently booked on Breakaway, your reservation will be cancelled unless you switch to one of the available dates where Escape is sailing the same itineraries. These dates no longer appear in the reservation system. New Gem itineraries will be posted by October 24.

So, I'm assuming this means that the Gem will continue to sail out of NYC? I for one would be very happy with that if that's the case. We much prefer the more mid-size ships to the Away class ships and were very sad that the Gem was leaving NYC.

So, I'm assuming this means that the Gem will continue to sail out of NYC? I for one would be very happy with that if that's the case. We much prefer the more mid-size ships to the Away class ships and were very sad that the Gem was leaving NYC.

Yes

it will be a new cruise. One cruise from Copenhagen to NYC like what they currently have now and then a new cruise from NYC to NOLA

Cruising from one US city to another is against the PVSAt. NYC to NOLA is not a possibility for passengers, unless the passengers are ones who are staying aboard from the Copenhagen TA.

Edited by NMLady

Wait. We are booked on Gem out of New Orleans December 2018. Does that mean we lost our booking?

You will automatically be moved to Breakaway.

Cruising from one US city to another is against the PVSA so NYC to NOLA is not a possibility for passengers, unless they are staying aboard from the Copenhagen TA.

The repositioning cruise goes to the ABC islands to make it legal. Regardless, there's an Eastern Caribbean closed loop cruise in between the two so you couldn't B2B the TA and repositioning.

The repositioning cruise goes to the ABC islands to make it legal. Regardless, there's an Eastern Caribbean closed loop cruise in between the two so you couldn't B2B the TA and repositioning.

The cruise I am referring to does not go to ABC islands nor does it have an eastern Caribbean closed loop cruise. I am answering the person who said the ship would get to NOLA by simply cruising from NYC after the TA, that NYC to NOLA would be a new cruise. I am referring to the reply given in post #27.

I am pretty excited about this! Living in the Pacific Northwest I love sailing out of NOLA as it isn't an all day travel each way to get there like Miami is and New York would be. We cruise almost exclusively in winter so New York is always out for us. Not to mention we have no desire to go to Bermuda for 3 days in port either. I have been wanting to try to Breakaway so it looks like we will be booking our 2019 cruise later this month.

Wait. We are booked on Gem out of New Orleans December 2018. Does that mean we lost our booking?

If you are currently booked on Gem, your reservation will be protected and automatically transferred to Breakaway. Reservations are still open for these dates (as Gem but this will be changed by October 24). Itineraries should remain the same.

Wow, that is kind of exciting. Will they assign rooms, etc?

BA is heading into dry dock before it starts up the Baltic run next summer. I'd be surprised if the existing hull art isn't replaced / updated.

I would be surprised if they did change it...I'm sure they paid Peter Max plenty for his design....and, the first NCL ship with a NYC theme, the Dawn, I believe still has it, after several major drydockings, and relocation to Boston.

Anyone know what happens if Breakaway doesn't have the same cabin type as the Gem? Currently booked in a 2 bedroom family suite. Looks like this cabin is only available in haven on Breakaway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Wow. I guess the NYC area can not handle the Breakaway and Escape ships. so one of those mega ships had to go.

sounds like a great move to me. We have sailed out of NYC and unless it is a cruise to NE or something I don't think I would want to do it again. It will be nice to see a mega ship in NOLA> :cool:

I got a call from NCL and they left a message on my machine to call them about my upcoming voyage. I haven't had the change, but it all makes sense now. They were calling because I'm on the Breakaway and I'll need to change the booking

We are booked on the Gem out of Nola on 11/11/2018. Happy to read that the Breakaway and Gem are flip flopping ports. Been on the Gem before but not the Breakaway.

Haven't been contacted yet by Ncl about anything regarding the change. Hopefully hear something before October 24th. Would like to have "dibs" on specific rooms and not just 1 assigned to us.:(