New to X, but regular Royal cruisers

gingernm

Hi All,

First time booking X, going on Reflection 15/08/18.

Will be in a 1A balcony for which I think we got a very good deal.

We have a Royal cruise in a few weeks, where we will turn Diamond. I know about the status match, but where will this put us in X?

Not sure if the matched status will give us any benefits now we've booked, but any advice would be appreciated.

Any info, good tips for Reflection would also be appreciated.

If it helps, we're both mid forties, we have booked return flights separately into Rome the day before, where we plan to use the train to the port. Then we have 3 days post cruise in Rome before flight home.

Yet to book hotel but there's plenty of time to sort that.

So looking forward to this trip, the ship and the ports!

Regards

Rob & Sarah

We were regular RC cruisers until we tried Celebrity which is now our preferred line.

You will find less organised activities and show types on Celebrity but a much more relaxed atmosphere....

If I am not mistaken your Diamond status will give you Elite status on Celebrity. You can look on line for the perks. The perks we found the most useful were the evening cocktail hours, free bag of laundry and the Elite buffet breakfast. You do need to contact Captains Club to get your status noted after your RC cruise.

We find the ambiance of the cocktail hours quite different on the two lines. On RC the Diamond lounges seem packed with guests filling the seats quickly and staying for the full time....on Celebrity guests seem to come in for a while then go, more come in....Whilst I think the drink menu on RC might be more extensive and I am fairly sure the event lasts longer we prefer the X event.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

We were regular RC cruisers until we tried Celebrity which is now our preferred line.

Although IMO RCI has the better loyalty program overall, we too have shifted our long time loyalty from RCI to Celebrity.

You will find less organised activities and show types on Celebrity but a much more relaxed atmosphere....

If I am not mistaken your Diamond status will give you Elite status on Celebrity.

Correct. Which BTW is the highest reciprocal tier offered. Just as Diamond is with Celebrity Elite and higher status.

You can look on line for the perks. The perks we found the most useful were the evening cocktail hours, free bag of laundry and the Elite buffet breakfast. You do need to contact Captains Club to get your status noted after your RC cruise.

What you need to do is enroll in the Captains Club to get a CC account and provide your C & A status.

We find the ambiance of the cocktail hours quite different on the two lines. On RC the Diamond lounges seem packed with guests filling the seats quickly and staying for the full time....on Celebrity guests seem to come in for a while then go, more come in....Whilst I think the drink menu on RC might be more extensive and I am fairly sure the event lasts longer we prefer the X event.

Celebrity cocktail hours are not offered on the first night, and also are replaced on the Captains cocktail night with that event, but as Elite you would attend that as well. The cocktail hours for both are shorter than RCI, running 2 hours from 5:00 - 7:00 PM. Whereas it is a 3-1/2 hour event on RCI. We have found the cocktail offerings to be similar on both lines.

It typically is less crowded as the venue used is larger and generally nicer. Our experience has been that people tend to stay the full time unless they are leaving for an early dinner - but that occurs similarly on RCI.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

See my answers above in red. Enjoy your cruise - as Diamond+ on RCI, as mentioned, we now prefer Celebrity.

Just to add, while I realize food preferences are very subjective, in our experience and to our tastes, the food is better with Celebrity as well. IMO the service levels are better also - Celebrity seems more customer focussed than RCI. But that could just be that it seems to be changing - and not for the better - with RCI. But I digress.......

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi All,First time booking X,

We have a Royal cruise in a few weeks, where we will turn Diamond. I know about the status match, but where will this put us in X?

Not sure if the matched status will give us any benefits now we've booked, but any advice would be appreciated.

Any info, good tips for Reflection would also be appreciated.Rob & Sarah

Once you actually attain Diamond status (after your upcoming RCI cruise) wait a few days, then telephone contact Celebrity Captains Club and ask them to provide you with a membership number, give them your Crown& Anchor number and status and they will give you Elite status on X. We did this several years ago. This will occur ONCE. All "new" cruise points thereafter will only apply to the line you cruised, RCI to RCI and X to X. Reflection is more upscale than RCI and there are no "formal nights" only "chic" although you will still see some tuxes and gowns on "chic" nights. Cruising Reflection requires you to REALLY EXPLORE the ship as there are a lot of unique places on board.:)

I have sailed on the Anthem last Oct and we had to make reservations on line for dining because we had select dining. If you didn’t have a reservation you would have had to wait in a long line and maybe given a pager with no guarantee of getting into that dining room. It was an added burden as we also had to make reservations for the shows, and any of the special attractions.

On Celebrity no advanced reservations are required for anything but can be made for some restaurants if desired. The ships are decorated a little classier like a 5 star resort instead of trying to be like a amusement park.

I think you will find that overall the ships are all the same. Restaurants, theaters, lounges on the lower decks along with the shops and service desks. Pools, bars and buffet on the upper decks. Cabins in the mid decks.

Entertainment on X isn’t their strong feature.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

The ships are decorated a little classier like a 5 star resort instead of trying to be like a amusement park.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

You obviously have not been on Reflection in August in the Med :confused:.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. Will wait for the RCI points and status to show in C&A, then contact the Captains club to status match.

This Reflection cruise is very port intensive, no sea days, though only Sardinia and Corsica are new to me. These I'm really looking forward to, want to do some snorkelling in the crystal clear waters.

Thanks again,

Rob.

You obviously have not been on Reflection in August in the Med :confused:.

What has changed since the first year it came out?

Do they do change the decor for the sailing in Aug?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

What has changed since the first year it came out?

Do they do change the decor for the sailing in Aug?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Yes, they no longer have grass - it’s covered in blue pool towels ;).

WHAT??? is the grass gone or is that a joke...:( Reflection was so great in 2013 when we took her on a transatlantic! We have been on the Equinox 3 weeks since and have 3 weeks this month (into next) and another week in December. I love the glass blowing, but the seating in the oceanview bar is not as comfortable as Reflection was back then.

We were Diamond on Royal and went on our first Celebrity cruise this past June. You get one free upgrade in your category, so after you get your reciprocal number, check to see if that will help you. For us, it gave us a better balcony cabin location. LOVED getting the free bag of laundry as Elite. Food, in my opinion is very comparable to Royal. We were able to take advantage of a promotions for a premium drink pkg, gratuities, WiFi, and on board credit. Wish they were offering that right now. We didn't make it to any of the shows. The layout of the ship is very different, but was easy to get accustomed to. Loved the layout of the buffet.

One other thing I forgot was the bathroom. We were on Equinox and the storage in the bathroom is incredible. There were just the two of us in my cabin and we didn't even bring enough to use all the storage in there. LOVED it. We took the flat cardboard cubes and put them in the storage over the bed and it was great for just pulling them down to pull something out. We used one for swimsuits and cover ups and another for underwear, etc. Worked out great and really kept the room tidy.

WHAT??? is the grass gone or is that a joke...:( Reflection was so great in 2013 when we took her on a transatlantic! We have been on the Equinox 3 weeks since and have 3 weeks this month (into next) and another week in December. I love the glass blowing, but the seating in the oceanview bar is not as comfortable as Reflection was back then.

It’s still there, but you just couldn’t see it as it was covered in pool towels on sea days. Apparently, the extra deck of cabins results in even more of a shortage of loungers, so pax resort to spreading their towels an inch apart on the lawn to sunbathe. I’ve never seen it on any other X ship, only Reflection in the Med this past August. The ship was so crowded it has definitely made us think that the itinerary would have to be stunning for us to consider her again in the main peak weeks. As the saying goes, ‘whatever floats your boat’.

Also, it appears that it’s the only ship in the fleet to refuse to give soda cans on the Classic package! There were a few other incidents that made the whole experience very dissimilar to a usual X sailing. However, the staff service was excellent and a definite plus.

It’s still there, but you just couldn’t see it as it was covered in pool towels on sea days. Apparently, the extra deck of cabins results in even more of a shortage of loungers, so pax resort to spreading their towels an inch apart on the lawn to sunbathe. I’ve never seen it on any other X ship, only Reflection in the Med this past August. The ship was so crowded it has definitely made us think that the itinerary would have to be stunning for us to consider her again in the main peak weeks. As the saying goes, ‘whatever floats your boat’.

Also, it appears that it’s the only ship in the fleet to refuse to give soda cans on the Classic package! There were a few other incidents that made the whole experience very dissimilar to a usual X sailing. However, the staff service was excellent and a definite plus.

I have read, I think, your experiences this Summer in another post.

Knowing and respecting your views it leaves us a little worried about our March Caribbean Reflection cruise. On the positive side we don't do much sunbathing, on the negative we do enjoy the suite experience and are aware there are more suites on Reflection.....Worse case scenario we can spend sea days on the balcony and choose a port or two to 'miss' and enjoy an empty ship!!

I have read, I think, your experiences this Summer in another post.

Knowing and respecting your views it leaves us a little worried about our March Caribbean Reflection cruise. On the positive side we don't do much sunbathing, on the negative we do enjoy the suite experience and are aware there are more suites on Reflection.....Worse case scenario we can spend sea days on the balcony and choose a port or two to 'miss' and enjoy an empty ship!!

You may have a totally different experience to us as you are not sailing in the peak summer season in the Med. As you know, we have sailed on various S class ships and I have to say that this past Reflection sailing was nothing akin to our regular X cruises. We are hoping our Eclipse Christmas cruise takes us back to something we know and love.

I haven’t mentioned it on any other post, but we even saw a lady that was so inebriated that she was virtually confronting anyone that went by her, with her DH having to hold her back. I was shocked and appalled as this was another instance where it just wasn’’t what we are used to sailing on X. There appeared to be so many more pax on this sailing. We’ve cruised on Oasis and it never felt as crowded!

The CD was prancing about the pool in a patterned, bright suit (looked like flamingoes or something similar). TBH, a couple of times, we had to check we’d boarded the correct ship :D. The fees for the shuttle transfers into the towns were way above what we’ve ever paid previously too. On the other hand, we couldn’t fault the service or staff and the MDR food was good overall.

If we hadn’t sailed on X so many times, we wouldn’t have known any different. It would just make us think twice if we were to consider another sailing on her in the Med in the peak summer season. I’m sure your sailing will be fine - enjoy :*.

On a side note, I’d be interested to hear if the soda cans were back on the Classic package when she returns to the US. I’d appreciate you confirming, if possible, either way ;).

You may have a totally different experience to us as you are not sailing in the peak summer season in the Med. As you know, we have sailed on various S class ships and I have to say that this past Reflection sailing was nothing akin to our regular X cruises. We are hoping our Eclipse Christmas cruise takes us back to something we know and love.

I haven’t mentioned it on any other post, but we even saw a lady that was so inebriated that she was virtually confronting anyone that went by her, with her DH having to hold her back. I was shocked and appalled as this was another instance where it just wasn’’t what we are used to sailing on X. There appeared to be so many more pax on this sailing. We’ve cruised on Oasis and it never felt as crowded!

The CD was prancing about the pool in a patterned, bright suit (looked like flamingoes or something similar). TBH, a couple of times, we had to check we’d boarded the correct ship :D. The fees for the shuttle transfers into the towns were way above what we’ve ever paid previously too. On the other hand, we couldn’t fault the service or staff and the MDR food was good overall.

If we hadn’t sailed on X so many times, we wouldn’t have known any different. It would just make us think twice if we were to consider another sailing on her in the Med in the peak summer season. I’m sure your sailing will be fine - enjoy :*.

On a side note, I’d be interested to hear if the soda cans were back on the Classic package when she returns to the US. I’d appreciate you confirming, if possible, either way ;).

Thanks for your reassuring response.

It is amazing how cruise experiences can vary and the whole ambiance can be damaged by a very small number of guests.

Those shuttle fees do annoy me...It isn't the cost as much as the principle. Just my view!

I will try to remember to ask about the soda cans....

To be honest after being unable to fly to hotter regions this year just give me the sun and I might be able to even cope with a CD wearing a flamingo suit!

Once you actually attain Diamond status (after your upcoming RCI cruise) wait a few days, then telephone contact Celebrity Captains Club and ask them to provide you with a membership number, give them your Crown& Anchor number and status and they will give you Elite status on X. We did this several years ago. This will occur ONCE. All "new" cruise points thereafter will only apply to the line you cruised, RCI to RCI and X to X. Reflection is more upscale than RCI and there are no "formal nights" only "chic" although you will still see some tuxes and gowns on "chic" nights. Cruising Reflection requires you to REALLY EXPLORE the ship as there are a lot of unique places on board.:)

So you only get matching status once? I realize the points don't add across lines but I thought they would always match status. So my first sailing on X I will be Select (already have a CC number). I then take 3 more on RCCL upon which I will be Diamond. I then go backwards to Classic on my next X cruise?

So you only get matching status once? I realize the points don't add across lines but I thought they would always match status. So my first sailing on X I will be Select (already have a CC number). I then take 3 more on RCCL upon which I will be Diamond. I then go backwards to Classic on my next X cruise?

No your status continues for all ensuing cruises. If you move up to Diamond on Royal you will move up to Elite on Celebrity. You do not move up any higher though on either line. If you reach Zenith on Celebrity you are still only Diamond on Royal and vice versa.

Thanks again for the further responses. Like the cabin upgrade. We've book a 1A balcony, so the next up is Concierge Class. Would they actually move us up to one of those cabins?

Our booking (made mid September) is around 50% of the current pricing for a 1A.

Thanks again

Rob.

Fairly new to X and have cruised on the Silhouette (Caribbean) and Reflection (Med). We love X and are on the Equinox next summer (Caribbean). Reflection is a bit bigger than the Silhouette but didn't really notice the additional numbers. What we did notice was the large number of unsupervised children on the Med cruise. It was the only time on any of our cruises that we notice kids running around. They were from some Spanish speaking country and I imagine were all part of a large group. This was August but we had cruised in August many times prior with no issues.

If you're looking for a hotel in Rome, we stayed pre-cruise for 3 nights at Albergo Cesare and LOVED it. The hotel was a typical European hotel, clean, great staff with breakfast included. Rooftop bar and air conditioned! Awesome location near the Trevi fountain on a small but active street. We stayed for around 100E/night in August which I thought was a fantastic deal.

There is no glass blowing on Reflection. The Lawn Club Grille is there.

Thanks again for the further responses. Like the cabin upgrade. We've book a 1A balcony, so the next up is Concierge Class. Would they actually move us up to one of those cabins?

Our booking (made mid September) is around 50% of the current pricing for a 1A.

Thanks again

Rob.

No, you will not move up to Concierge from 1A. You only move up within a category, i.e. Balcony to higher balcony, Concierge C3 to C2 (they will not move you from C2 to C1 however, Aqua to Aqua A2 to A1).

There is no glass blowing on Reflection. The Lawn Club Grille is there.

I am aware there is no glass blowing on Reflection. I enjoy that on the Equinox. I like the Sunset bar seating on the Reflection more as it is more comfortable.

I am aware there is no glass blowing on Reflection. I enjoy that on the Equinox. I like the Sunset bar seating on the Reflection more as it is more comfortable.

I love relaxing on all of the X ships...48 more days......:)