Nieuw Statendam Changes

ipoder

Not really a ton of info here, but it's something. All room categories have been "reimagined." I assume the changes won't be too drastic for regular staterooms.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-lines-nieuw-statendam-to-feature-more-staterooms-redesigned-pinnacle-suite-and-artfully-inspired-accommodations-300614848.html

Can you guys tell me, what is the difference between The Culinary Arts venue, and ATK???

ATK is replacing the old Culinary Arts center. The demos and lessons are different. One very disappointing difference is in the classes (the ones that you pay for). You focus on a particular food or technique, not producing a meal. And the Pinnacle lunch that followed the class is gone.

On K'dam there was a bar and food served at ATK, but we didn't get around to trying it.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-lines-nieuw-statendam-to-feature-more-staterooms-redesigned-pinnacle-suite-and-artfully-inspired-accommodations-300614848.html

The ship features 103 ocean-view and 280 interior staterooms, ranging from 225 to 266 square feet.

The 32 family ocean-view staterooms range from 222 to 231 square feet and have been reconfigured to feature more living space to spread out and relax. Accommodating up to five guests, family staterooms offer special amenities including two bathrooms and extra closet space. The 12 single ocean-view staterooms for solo cruisers range from 127 to 172 square feet and are located on the forward main deck.

So the family ocean-view staterooms are smaller than the regular ocean-view and interior staterooms?:confused:

Interesting that the Neptune Lounge is going to have "more windows." IIRC, the lounge on K'dam had almost no windows, just a few narrow vertical ones. The doors were solid, which was a stupid idea, as you never knew if you were going to hit someone when you opened the door to go in. I have to laugh at the windows providing a feeling of "openness" when they look out on a hallway.

The ship features 103 ocean-view and 280 interior staterooms, ranging from 225 to 266 square feet.

So the family ocean-view staterooms are smaller than the regular ocean-view and interior staterooms?:confused:

I don't believe the outside and inside cabins will be as large as your quote indicates. They aren't that large on the S- & R-class ships, and have gotten progressively smaller with each new class of vessels.

The Koningsdam has very small insides, and since this is a sister ship, I would expect similar on her, too.

Take that 225-266 with a grain of salt until there is confirmation from those who have sailed her.

I don't believe the outside and inside cabins will be as large as your quote indicates. They aren't that large on the S- & R-class ships, and have gotten progressively smaller with each new class of vessels.

The Koningsdam has very small insides, and since this is a sister ship, I would expect similar on her, too.

Take that 225-266 with a grain of salt until there is confirmation from those who have sailed her.

Thanks for the information. I thought the numbers in the article seemed off.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I am glad to hear again about the re-design that is supposed to be going into this!

I am hoping that they will really improve the look and feel of the public spaces and restaurants.

And, yes, that one 2:07 minute video that they do have out does make a big deal about adding those windows.

They are very aware that this space needed to be opened-up!!!!

Not that I will have access!!!!!!

Has anyone noticed the deck plan changes for the NS? Culinary Arts is gone, replaced by America's Test Kitchen. Does that mean that it will no longer be a restaurant? Also, the Queen's Lounge is now identified as Lincoln Center and BB King has moved to another area. Maybe deck plans can't be relied upon at this stage but I found the changes interesting since Culinary Arts had difficulty getting off the ground and the spot on Koningsdam for Lincoln Center was so crowded and popular.

Yes, the Koningsdam is a 'royal' disaster..

I hope there are no Lido Cabanas and I hope they do not ever appear. That was a bad decision on the Eurodam. It makes that already crowded, narrow passage from the forward elevators to the Lido Buffet even more narrow & crowded. I wish they would take out the Lido Cabanas on all the ships, partly because it blocks the lovely view, but mostly because there is just not enough space for them and to use it as a passageway for the passengers.

Considering that the pool deck around the Lido pool is 2 decks, it would seem that it would be so easy to put cabanas on the second level. It seems like it is almost designed with cabanas in mind with the breezy curtains throughout. We love the Lido cabanas but prefer them more on NA because they are on the other side of the Lido.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ATK is replacing the old Culinary Arts center. The demos and lessons are different. One very disappointing difference is in the classes (the ones that you pay for). You focus on a particular food or technique, not producing a meal. And the Pinnacle lunch that followed the class is gone.

On K'dam there was a bar and food served at ATK, but we didn't get around to trying it.

True but we find ATK presentation a much more professional product. My only gripe is no tastings at the end. On our recent Zuiderdam cruise, the ATK lady was very good.

ATK is a specific brand, and it carries with it specific expectations on the part of those who are attracted to the cruise line because of ATK. Everything I've read about ATK on Holland America reinforces the assumption that satisfying those expectations are what's being offered and provided. Even the complaints reinforce that: What people complain about is generally how it is different from what they want - what used to be offered. Dig into the factual portion of their reviews, and it is clear that the "problem" with ATK is that, as KirkNC put it, it is more "professional," and that the presentations are focused on, as 3rdGenCunarder put it, "a particular food or technique." Some of what is no longer offered were benefits that often were available only to 4* and 5* mariners - the rest of us were always adversely affected by the capacity limitations on them. :) Also, the people who were adversely affected by the changes were people both already rewarded substantially for choosing the cruise line and also increasingly outside the target market for the cruise line. :)

We've already chosen Holland America, and likely would have continued to choose Holland America for most of our cruises, regardless, but if we were closer to the razor's edge, deciding between Holland America, Princess and Celebrity, then as ATK fans, seeing Holland America offering ATK in the way they do, and delivering ATK the way practically everyone has described it, we'd be much more likely to choose Holland America.

True but we find ATK presentation a much more professional product. My only gripe is no tastings at the end. On our recent Zuiderdam cruise, the ATK lady was very good.

I haven't gone to the demos in either program, just the old classes. I was lucky to do two classes with guest chefs, and perhaps that's why I found the hands-on classes so good. Being able to "talk food" with other cruisers and a pro was great, both during the cooking part and later at lunch. For me, cooking without eating it later is an incomplete experience. And maybe I was lucky to have good classmates--both times we all had fun pitching in and helping each other cook. Maybe we didn't learn a special technique, but it was a good experience. I have no interest in a class on making pasta. I can take lessons like that at home.

I haven't gone to the demos in either program, just the old classes. I was lucky to do two classes with guest chefs, and perhaps that's why I found the hands-on classes so good. Being able to "talk food" with other cruisers and a pro was great, both during the cooking part and later at lunch. For me, cooking without eating it later is an incomplete experience. And maybe I was lucky to have good classmates--both times we all had fun pitching in and helping each other cook. Maybe we didn't learn a special technique, but it was a good experience. I have no interest in a class on making pasta. I can take lessons like that at home.

Yes my comments were for demos only, never did a class. The old ones were fun but just because someone is a Pinnacle chef or something doesn't mean they can communicate and present a demo. I have only been to one ATK so far but it was very well done.

Yes my comments were for demos only, never did a class. The old ones were fun but just because someone is a Pinnacle chef or something doesn't mean they can communicate and present a demo. I have only been to one ATK so far but it was very well done.

Demos on Cunard are always fun, going back to QE2 when they just worked at a table in one of the small lounges. They later moved to the theater, probably when somebody noticed they were flambeing under a low ceiling! :eek: They don't have a permanent kitchen setup, but now they do have a kitchen set they use in the theater or showroom. The head chef (Chef de Cuisine?) on the ship has always been there along with another chef and some galley crew. It's more "see how we do it," than a class (although they do give out recipes), and there's a fair amount of joking around. I don't think I've ever seen a demo chef on Cunard who wasn't a born performer.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if this is old news, but I noticed that Billboard Onboard will replace the Ocean Bar on the Nieuw Statendam (Deck 2, midship). I am not sure if this is a new update to the deck plan, or if it has been there all along and I just noticed it. I wonder if this space is sufficiently large for Billboard Onboard and how they will use Billboard's previous space outside the World Stage theater.

Forgive me if this is old news, but I noticed that Billboard Onboard will replace the Ocean Bar on the Nieuw Statendam (Deck 2, midship). I am not sure if this is a new update to the deck plan, or if it has been there all along and I just noticed it. I wonder if this space is sufficiently large for Billboard Onboard and how they will use Billboard's previous space outside the World Stage theater.

Ohh, I don't like that change. The Ocean Bar is one of my favorite places to curl up with a book and a drink. I am not in favor of not having a quiet lounge for after-dinner seating. Why must every venue have "entertainment" and noise, and be darkened? Honestly, there are passengers who like to enjoy their after-dinner drink with a book or conversation with other passengers. Music venues make that kind of activity nearly impossible!

Why must every venue have "entertainment" and noise, and be darkened?
Passengers enjoying entertainment spend more money on drinks than parents who curl up with a book nursing one drink.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

The older NS deckplans had shown BB King's in the "Lincoln Center Stage" spot (referring to Koningsdam's arrangement), but nothing at all listed across the way where Koningsdam's "Billboard Onboard" would be.

The newest version came out believe a couple/few weeks ago and it shows the arrangement as it currently is. BB Kings will have that whole forward area, Lincoln Center Stage will have the Queen's Lounge and Ocean Bar is being re-done as Billboard Onboard.

Two thoughts about this...

1) Ocean Bar on Koningsdam was just odd. It was cut into two separate rooms and seemed kind of out of place. I think a venue immediately outside 2 of the specialty restaurants could be good, plus it literally turns the deck into the Music Walk... not just the forward quarter/third. However I say it could be good because...

2) Vista/Signature ships have the Ocean Bar directly above Pinnacle Grill and the music coming from there works for the Pinnacle Grill vibe. HOWEVER, paying extra for one of a couple incredible meals (especially Sel de Mer... still the BEST alternate venue I've experienced in almost 40 cruises) and having a bunch of louder Piano Bar/sing along music directly across the corridor while I'm paying extra... That would irritate me. That said...

2a) Should they have a more mellow type of programming when PG and SdM are open and then get more high energy and "raucous" when the restaurants are closing down, that I think could work very well.

Time will tell how it all turns out... but if I'm paying a decent amount and having a great meal in PG or SdM and I start hearing Margaritaville or Sweet Caroline along with all the audience participation sing/shout lines... Not gonna make for a happy time.

We can be sure that they will. But we can't be sure whether we personally will like what they do with the space.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I wonder why they moved both Billboard AND Lincoln Center. Perhaps the new use of the space will help explain this. Otherwise, I would rather they keep BB Kings in the Queen's Lounge to take advantage of all that great dance floor space.

Lincoln Center definitely needs more space. The Queen's lounge is a better setup for being able to see the performers. This also puts them in a more separated space. On K'dam, Billboard piano players couldn't perform when Lincoln Center was on because the Billboard music would "bleed" into the Lincoln Center space.

BB King is always loud, so giving them this space will let the sound spread out so it can be heard throughout this area.

WASide, what's wrong (IMO) with the Ocean Bar on K'dam is that it looks like it was set up for a group like the Neptunes. It has a stage at one end that's larger than needed for the piano, and it has a dance floor that nobody uses. On our cruise the piano player in the Ocean Bar was so-so. Not much of the seating faced him, and with the long room, there was more talking than listening except for the first two "rows" of seats. Does Billboard need "dueling" pianos? Maybe the new Billboard configuration will be for one piano more centrally positioned. (Just a guess)