Ok to leave our chair for 30 to 45 minutes lunch or go for a walk?

Produce123

K

If you are monopolizing a couple of lounge chairs in the pool area for six hours on a sea day, whether you’re sitting in them or leaving possessions or towels, you are a chair hog. There are a limited number of chairs in prime locations like the pool area and every passenger has a right of expectation that they can sit by the pool for a reasonable period of time on pool days.

so even though i am actively using the chair. not just leaving a towel on it, what would be my time limit? are we rationing the amount of time you are allowed to spend on a chair (actively using it. not place holding it)

As long as someone is using the chair the entire day, they shouldn't have to give it to someone else so that they can have a turn at it. I am not for people getting up at the crack of dawn and placing an item on the chair, leaving and going back to bed for a few hours...that is just wrong. My travel companion and I are early risers and we get to the deck early and get chairs where we want to spend the day. We might take turns getting food for lunch but a lot of the time we even eat lunch in our deck chairs. I would be shocked if anyone came to us and asked us to vacate so that someone else can take a turn at sitting there...who would even think that is an ok thing to suggest?

that is why i am so shocked that apparently since i actively sit in my chair for most of the day (minus using restroom or other QUICK activities) i am a chair hog. so if i make it to the comedy club early each time and snag a seat, does that mean i am only allowed to see a limited number of shows so that others can watch to.

if i am actually in the chair, why should i have to get up? just so someone else can have a turn.

that is why i am so shocked that apparently since i actively sit in my chair for most of the day (minus using restroom or other QUICK activities) i am a chair hog. so if i make it to the comedy club early each time and snag a seat, does that mean i am only allowed to see a limited number of shows so that others can watch to.

if i am actually in the chair, why should i have to get up? just so someone else can have a turn.

How would you feel if you paid several thousand dollars for a beautiful cruise and couldn’t get a lounge near the pool because people “camped out” at the pool all day hogging the lounge chairs? Do you believe everyone who paid for the privilege of sitting near the pool should get to do so occasionally? If not, you are the definition of a chair hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

so even though i am actively using the chair. not just leaving a towel on it, what would be my time limit? are we rationing the amount of time you are allowed to spend on a chair (actively using it. not place holding it)

No! If you are actively using it then so be it, you got up early or happen upon it at the right time and you can use it for as long as you want/need to. It is ridicules that someone would impose a time limit cuz "we all paid for the cruise and deserve to sit by the pool or have a prime seat", ridicules! Then time limit for slot machines, the best bar stools and the best seats for the shows, window seats for the MDR etc...cruises have way more people than seats on any given day and everyone knows the drill when you are cruising and if you are using the chair (not leaving stuff on it for more than 30 mins and not coming back in reasonable time) then use it!

A chair hog is someone that puts their stuff on a chair (whether super early in the morning and walks away or during the day and leaves it empty with their stuff on it for an unreasonable amount of time) or saves a bunch of chairs for their family and friends and the they do not show up for 2 or 3 hours (sleeping in most likely).

No! If you are actively using it then so be it, you got up early or happen upon it at the right time and you can use it for as long as you want/need to. It is ridicules that someone would impose a time limit cuz "we all paid for the cruise and deserve to sit by the pool or have a prime seat", ridicules! Then time limit for slot machines, the best bar stools and the best seats for the shows, window seats for the MDR etc...cruises have way more people than seats on any given day and everyone knows the drill when you are cruising and if you are using the chair (not leaving stuff on it for more than 30 mins and not coming back in reasonable time) then use it!

A chair hog is someone that puts their stuff on a chair (whether super early in the morning and walks away or during the day and leaves it empty with their stuff on it for an unreasonable amount of time) or saves a bunch of chairs for their family and friends and the they do not show up for 2 or 3 hours (sleeping in most likely).

THANK YOU! otherwise it is going to end up the route of having to "reserve chairs" for a certain amount of time. and they will probably start charging for that.

You don’t have to worry about me hogging a lounge chair. I always book a balcony and avoid the pool; too many lounge chair hogs.

You seemed to give the rule of chair hogging as an excuse not to sail carnival, but you spend all your time on your expensive private balcony. Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

At the gyms they put a time limit on the treadmill so people that are waiting can get on. Seems fair

This has wandered off into the absurd. Of course saving multiple chairs for extended periods is wrong. Of course using a lounger for the day is fine. Honestly, I've never wanted to sit right by the pool anyway. On a Conquest class ship, we're either typically up in Serenity or somewhere in the stadium seating area. And typically, we can always find a couple together except for the most peak periods on a sea day. And usually by very early afternoon, we've had enough and vacate them perhaps returning at 3p when the crowds have started to diminish.

How would you feel if you paid several thousand dollars for a beautiful cruise and couldn’t get a lounge near the pool because people “camped out” at the pool all day hogging the lounge chairs? Do you believe everyone who paid for the privilege of sitting near the pool should get to do so occasionally? If not, you are the definition of a chair hog.

I would feel like I should have gotten up earlier! Maybe I should get up earlier tomorrow so I can actively sit in my chair all day, cause that's what I enjoy!

I am an organized person. I get to the comedy club early so I can get a good seat, I go to shows early so I can get a good seat, I arrive at anytime dining early so I don't have to wait in line, and I eat breakfast early to avoid the rush. So I should be punished so people who are late can get a turn?

I’m glad I’m a shade person [emoji5]

oh i am too. i get up early partly so that i can find a chair in shade. i am so fair skinned that i will burn even in shade, in layers of clothes with sunscreen on. so i am not lounging by the pool (plus i don't want to listen to the DJ at a volume that i can't also converse w/ DH). so i prefer serenity if i can get it.

and yes have i gotten up a little later on days and not gotten chairs where i want them or prefer to have them? yeah. but then i think that as long as people are there, i should have gotten there earlier if i wanted that seat.

i semi plan ahead what we want to do and make sure we get there early if it is something that i really want.

If you're leaving the area to go for a walk, you should give up the chair. If you're going to sit in the hot tub in that same area, keep the chair for when you get out of the hot tub. If you want to grab food to bring back to the chair, I would take turns getting it. I think if people were wanting a chair & saw you leave the area, they would presume you were finished using the chair. If you're going to eat in the buffet, dining room, etc., give up the chair.

It’s called good manners and being fair to everyone on board. We all pay to use the lounge chairs near the pool and in other prime areas. If you monopolize it all day, you’re not being considerate of others. If I eat dinner in the dining room and decide to sit through two sittings, what should the cruise line say to people who have reserved the second siting? It’s only common sense that you should be considerate of others. Besides, all day in the sun will only make your dermatologist happy in the end.

The first concern is that you call it your chair; it belongs to the cruise line and is intended for use by all passengers. As for shows, some cruise lines have recognized the problem. Theaters have a limited number of seats. So if someone decides to go to every show, it means some people won’t get to see the show at all. Even though you apparently think this is reasonable and fine, it isn’t. NCL requires reservations to enter the theater at a prescribed time and they try to discourage “saving seats”. If seats are available ten minutes before showtime, people without reservations can enter and find a seat. This is called being fair when you have limited seating and a large crowd.

I consider myself a polite person. After I do my morning routine, I put on my bathing suit, pack my pool bag for the day and head to the pool deck. I find a lounger and put my towel down with clips. I read and people watch. I enjoy the music and games. I have drinks. I get up to take a quick dip in the pool. I may be in my lounger from 10-1. I then take my things and have lunch. I come back to the pool deck, find another lounger, repeat from the morning. I only leave for potty breaks leaving my towel, bag, etc. I could be there from 2-4. I am not a chair hog. I don't believe anyone should "save"/"reserve" any of the chairs. It's first come, first served. I would be less than polite if another guest told me to move because I had exceeded my time limit.

As far as time limits on people who are actually sitting in their lounge chairs, that is ridiculous. If someone wants to spend all day in a lounge chair, I have no problem with them doing that. If it means I don't get to sit by the pool, I'm just out of luck. That's exactly what happened when we wanted to use the adult pool area on Regal Princess. There was a group of over 400 on board & they pretty much took over that area. While I was disappointed to not be able to use the area, there is no way I would have ever asked anyone to get out so I could have a turn at the chair. But, by golly, if they're gonna wander off to go shopping or play bingo or whatever, they need to take their belongings & let others use the chair.

OMG, you really need this spelled out? Do you think this is a private yacht you're sailing? I can not believe the selfishness and inconsideration of today's world. It boggles my mind!

So you are actually saying if she wants to sit by the pool all day as this is how she enjoys her cruise, she is being selfish?!! 30 cruises and have never heard this argument. If I get to the pool early, grab a chair and want to sit there for hours, I'm not about to get up just so someone who chose to sleep in late can have my chair. I guess I'm selfish in your world!!

Pat

I consider myself a polite person. After I do my morning routine, I put on my bathing suit, pack my pool bag for the day and head to the pool deck. I find a lounger and put my towel down with clips. I read and people watch. I enjoy the music and games. I have drinks. I get up to take a quick dip in the pool. I may be in my lounger from 10-1. I then take my things and have lunch. I come back to the pool deck, find another lounger, repeat from the morning. I only leave for potty breaks leaving my towel, bag, etc. I could be there from 2-4. I am not a chair hog. I don't believe anyone should "save"/"reserve" any of the chairs. It's first come, first served. I would be less than polite if another guest told me to move because I had exceeded my time limit.

I so agree with this!! a voice of reason.

Pat

THANK YOU! otherwise it is going to end up the route of having to "reserve chairs" for a certain amount of time. and they will probably start charging for that.

Oh no, another conspiracy rumor starting......

You got that right. More then likely there will be a post on John Heald's Facebook page asking if it's true that according to Cruise Critic we will have to reserve a lounge chair at the pool.

Edited by steadyone

hi there. My girlfriend and I are curteous people and would like to know more about chair saving etiquette in the serenity area on Vista. Can we leave our stuff on our chair if we go for lunch for 30-45 minutes? Or go for a walk for half an hour? And if we arrive around 730 to tan for the day is the section empty or already lots of towels put down on chairs? Thanks.

The longest I leave my chair is 15 mins. TOPS! Usually to swim, use the restroom or even grab a quick bite to eat. If my daughter goes with me she stays also but if she wants to go something else then come back and someone comes along and wants her chair I move her stuff and then we just share a chair. Just to clarify, I go and grab my food then return to my chair to eat!

It’s called good manners and being fair to everyone on board. We all pay to use the lounge chairs near the pool and in other prime areas. If you monopolize it all day, you’re not being considerate of others. If I eat dinner in the dining room and decide to sit through two sittings, what should the cruise line say to people who have reserved the second siting? It’s only common sense that you should be considerate of others. Besides, all day in the sun will only make your dermatologist happy in the end.

If you choose a spot to be in all day, so be it. Chairs are first come, first served. If someone is actually occupying the chair I can't fault them for that.

So you are actually saying if she wants to sit by the pool all day as this is how she enjoys her cruise, she is being selfish?!! 30 cruises and have never heard this argument. If I get to the pool early, grab a chair and want to sit there for hours, I'm not about to get up just so someone who chose to sleep in late can have my chair. I guess I'm selfish in your world!!

Pat

You’re kind of selfish in anybody’s world if you think the cruise is only about your comfort and the heck with the other 4000 passengers. We share this world; we don’t own it. The lounge isn’t yours; it’s the cruise lines and it’s there for all passengers to enjoy.

If you choose a spot to be in all day, so be it. Chairs are first come, first served. If someone is actually occupying the chair I can't fault them for that.

Depending, even with sunscreen can someone really spend 8 hours in the Caribbean sun? Have you ever seen the Lido deck more than 75% actually seated human beings, not. We are lazy, especially on Sea Days, sleep late, breakfast around 11, so not sunning until after noon. Rarely is there a spot on the Serenity Deck, but lots of towels without people. We do usually find a spot somewhere. The chair hog situation is untenable and mostly unenforceable.

You’re kind of selfish in anybody’s world if you think the cruise is only about your comfort and the heck with the other 4000 passengers. We share this world; we don’t own it. The lounge isn’t yours; it’s the cruise lines and it’s there for all passengers to enjoy.

The other 4000 passengers don’t all want to sit on a deck chair by the pool. If someone wants to go to the gym all morning long, good for them there are plenty who don’t , same with the trivia, piano bar, and everything else that’s included in the cruise fare but not designed to handle 4000 people.

If somebody wants to ride the water slide all day, thus making the line a little longer for those who just want to do it once, that does not make them a slide hog.

I do think it would be great if all of the lines installed some cubbies near the pool. We go to the pool deck to enjoy the pool. We have to put our stuff someplace, so it’s usually a single chair near the pool. When we feel like laying out we’ll be on our balcony - the ocean view is much better there.