This is crazy

Drill2dk

Today is a beautiful day here in San Juan. The Viking (Ocean) Sea is in port for three days (end of repositioning, then turn around tomorrow, then first Southern Caribbean of the season). The passengers are enjoying walking tours of Old San Juan and Horseback Riding near El Yunque Rainforest.

On Saturday the Adventure of the Seas returns for its fourth turnaround since the storm.

Most of San Juan should have power back by the end of this week, or beginning of the next one.

And not one Puerto Rican zombie sighting reported yet.

San Juan is 500+ years old. It has survived cannibal and pirate attacks. It has endured dozens of invasion attempts. Sacking, looting and burning. Wars. Bombardments. U-boat blockades. Hurricanes too many to count. It has survived this one. Viking and RCI and very soon NCL passengers are having a rare opportunity to witness a live story of resilience and survival AND enjoying themselves while they do that. Which is perfectly fine and welcome by us locals.

Are you a tourist or a traveler? Tourists go to Orlando and Las Vegas and other sanitized, make believe "destinations". Travelers will continue to come to Puerto Rico and islands beyond. Destinations that are for real, "as is, where is", where hurricanes are part of life. The "Life in the Tropics" that we love to share with you so much.

To all of you who are supporting us by not cancelling your vacations, GRACIAS!

Love every word of this post. We're supposed to visit on a cruise in December and hope we do! Then flying to SJU in January for the 9th time to board Jewel of the Seas.

Thank you for the update!

Today is a beautiful day here in San Juan. The Viking (Ocean) Sea is in port for three days (end of repositioning, then turn around tomorrow, then first Southern Caribbean of the season). The passengers are enjoying walking tours of Old San Juan and Horseback Riding near El Yunque Rainforest.

On Saturday the Adventure of the Seas returns for its fourth turnaround since the storm.

Most of San Juan should have power back by the end of this week, or beginning of the next one.

San Juan is 500+ years old. It has survived cannibal and pirate attacks. It has endured dozens of invasion attempts. Sacking, looting and burning. Wars. Bombardments. U-boat blockades. Hurricanes too many to count. It has survived this one. Viking and RCI and very soon NCL passengers are having a rare opportunity to witness a live story of resilience and survival AND enjoying themselves while they do that. Which is perfectly fine and welcome by us locals.

Are you a tourist or a traveler? Tourists go to Orlando and Las Vegas and other sanitized, make believe "destinations". Travelers will continue to come to Puerto Rico and islands beyond. Destinations that are for real, "as is, where is", where hurricanes are part of life. The "Life in the Tropics" that we love to share with you so much.

Lovely post. :)

But really, no zombies? Oh well...lol.

Im so confused, why is that nobody care about donating money and time. RCL has allot of money there stock is over 120. They can easily make new ships, why can't they help out the islands.Why is RCL the only cruise liner that is going back now?

RCI sent Adventure OTS to rescue people and their pets. They used Enchantment to provide sanctuary for their employees and their families. They brought tons of supplies. They have been a shining example of what can be right with corporate America. The other lines don't have as many ships in the Caribbean during hurricane season, but I am confident that they have all contributed something to the effort.

As for easily making new ships, they are using borrowed money, so it's not as if they could say, "don't do the kitchen counters yet, we need to send money to the Caribbean." The stock price enriches shareholders, not the company itself (other than the execs and employees who own shares).

I would not wish to go to any of the devastated islands now because it would make me feel bad to see the damage and hardship. But, as others have said, if there is no revenue from tourism, the hardship will continue. So I would keep my cruise and take some solace in the knowledge that my presence is helping the islanders get back on their feet.

Have you ever worked disaster operations?

Do you realize how much time and effort is needed just to figure out what each person can do, and get them to a location that they can help, and supply them with what they need to do so?

BT, DT, there is a LOT work to get volunteers producing.

And when they are only there for 6, 8, 10 hours, how much does that help or actually hurt?

Yes, I have. When I was a young adult, my parents and I helped my aunt and family after Agnes flooded Wilkes-Barre, Pa. in 1971. Google it, my aunts house survived and is in some of the pictures...Willow St,

She had an old 2 story home within site of where the dykes broke. She had 6 feet of water in her attic. Everything was full of mud. I washed dishes, records, nicknacks, and went threw piles of stuff.

Yes, we did need permission to go through security because of looting. There were bodies floating in the streets from the cemetery.

Having seen this and been through it, I am willing to help in any way possible.:loudcry:

Im so confused, why is that nobody care about donating money and time. RCL has allot of money there stock is over 120. They can easily make new ships, why can't they help out the islands.Why is RCL the only cruise liner that is going back now?

Your asking Royal to donate, what about you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At this time, there not able to take on tourism. With an influx of aprox 3500 passenger, on a ship. They don't have the infrastructure to handle it. How many taxi and buses have been destroyed? They have limited gas and power. So I agree we should go back, but first help them rebuild. If you bring people back to soon they won't have such great memories as we do.

How are you an expert on this?

there is allot I like, I have been on over 30 tcl cruise ships. Go couple times a year. But even if I'm loyal to royal, I think its also okay to call them out. If you think something is wrong saying something to make it better. No cooperation should have absolute power.

You sure this is really about Non Refundable Deposit or requiring all in a room (21+) to buy Drink Package if one does, or Room Service Charges?? [emoji33]

Yes, I have. When I was a young adult, my parents and I helped my aunt and family after Agnes flooded Wilkes-Barre, Pa. in 1971. Google it, my aunts house survived and is in some of the pictures...Willow St,

She had an old 2 story home within site of where the dykes broke. She had 6 feet of water in her attic. Everything was full of mud. I washed dishes, records, nicknacks, and went threw piles of stuff.

Yes, we did need permission to go through security because of looting. There were bodies floating in the streets from the cemetery.

Having seen this and been through it, I am willing to help in any way possible.:loudcry:

Agnes was June of 1972, I was in Reading, PA. Agree with everything else you said.

How are you an expert on this?

You sure this is really about Non Refundable Deposit or requiring all in a room (21+) to buy Drink Package if one does, or Room Service Charges?? [emoji33]

OP and her side kick were not posting last night, so I think she has given up on us.

Also don't think she's cruised 30 times, just doesn't fit the profile and education level. She says she has young children and does not want them to see any devastation. Might scar them.:loudcry:

Gosh but this thread has certainly polarised views, I tend to agree with elements of both sides of the discussion, but I assume that the local authorities are taking into account both the views of the locals who want to see their tourist jobs back up and earning asap, as well as taking into account the preparedness of the Islands to cope with the cruise ship influx.

There is no correct answer, but blaming RC for their ships being among the first back seems a bit unfair to me.

Wonderfully said Aviator!

And great pictures! Joking: These pax did look a little hot. Maybe time for some Senor Paleta, a Pina Colada, or Piragua?

While every Departure Port has it's qualities, if you like to live by these words, then San Juan stands above the rest for its history, flavor, soul, and beauty. (Standby for the beating from the Floridians, Texans, etc). Actually, departing from San Juan was one of the reasons we were so attracted to the itinerary we chose. Sure, it is harder, longer, and more expensive to get to, but oh so interesting. Unfortunately, this season has been rough on both the island and those trying to enjoy this awesome place. PR is bouncing back and many of us "Adventurers" will return too. De nada

Dan

The funny thing is RCI's ships were the first in after the storm. They came in loaded with supplies and back out filled with refugees. At no charge. Bumping passengers and cancelling cruises cost a fortune. The fuel to do the humanitarian runs cost a fortune and now they are scrambling to put together shore excursions which will help the islanders' incomes.

Bringing our dollars back to the islands will help them get back on their feet.

Leaving them to recover on their own certainly won't.

I think RCI is doing the right thing. Getting the economy going again is a good thing, not a bad one.

The funny thing is RCI's ships were the first in after the storm. They came in loaded with supplies and back out filled with refugees. At no charge. Bumping passengers and cancelling cruises cost a fortune. The fuel to do the humanitarian runs cost a fortune and now they are scrambling to put together shore excursions which will help the islanders' incomes.

Bringing our dollars back to the islands will help them get back on their feet.

Leaving them to recover on their own certainly won't.

I think RCI is doing the right thing. Getting the economy going again is a good thing, not a bad one.

I like your post. And I agree 100% with it. Thanks.c4a4fd5884014b1e6e5288ae2cd43024.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AoS, if you could find at least ONE Zombie by March, my son will be your biggest fan forever :cool: