pants vs shorts

philly22

See what it’s like to live in Paradise!!!

You really think the MDR is better than many of the other eating establishments? I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always eat either in MTD or one of the specialty restaurants.

When on a land based holiday i will wear clothes relative to the temperature and humidity so Orlando and Spain and her islands i always wear tailored shorts.

On a ship i always dress smart casual or formal on a night but shorts during the day.

We always eat either in MTD or one of the specialty restaurants.

When on a land based holiday i will wear clothes relative to the temperature and humidity so Orlando and Spain and her islands i always wear tailored shorts.

On a ship i always dress smart casual or formal on a night but shorts during the day.

Is the ship and the Caribbean cooler than Orlando?

Bern’s in Tampa requires a jacket for men (which they will supply).

Vic and Anthony’s (Steakhouse) Houston TX wouldn’t let me in with shorts.

As I read the entire thread, this is what I was thinking about. I've found that, on land, the nicer restaurants do have dress codes. Even when they don't, I wouldn't think of going into one in shorts. I consider the specialty restaurants the "nicer restaurants" on a cruise. (Why more than the MDR? Everyone goes to the MDR while people pay extra for specialty restaurants.) Therefore, I would not dine in shorts. However, if someone were to be there in nice, tailored (and not too short) shorts, I don't think it would bother me. If they were in a ratty t-shirt and gym shorts, I admit I would judge.

It’s not but the smell follows them around, on their clothes, in their hair. Smell like an Ashtray.

Those that don’t shower, smell as bad but a different smell.

Smells turn us off more than shorts.

Has nothing to do with pants or shorts in the MDR or SRs.

From Ruth's Chris:

Dress Code

BUSINESS CASUAL

PROPER ATTIRE REQUIRED PLEASE.

Kindly remove your hat before entering the main dining room.

Thank you for not wearing: Tank tops, clothing with offensive graphics or language, torn garments, exposed undergarments, cut-off shorts, beach flip flops or gym wear.

I find my meal tastes better when others around me are wearing pants. :D

I agree. Can't you breakdown and take a shower, clean drawers, and dress nicely with pants for the evening? I am assuming you are going to shower after being out all day. What's the big deal to slide those short off and put on a pair of pants - and shoes or boots, not flip flops? Not talking about top hat and tails.

Well it’s good to hear that the food is the same whether you wear pants or shorts.

Actually, it tastes the same whether you wear any type of clothing or dine naked.

It is not all about you and just how the food tastes to you - it is at least a little bit about the atmosphere experienced by others as they taste their food - -and whether they have any reasonable expectations that the dress code they have been told about will actually apply.

Ok, I will answer this in a respectful way, because I do understand the viewpoint that many people share. When on vacation, they don't want to bother with dressing up. They just want to relax. I understand that. I really do. Also, I think it should be pointed out that there's a difference between dressing casually and dressing sloppily. I would never form a negative opinion of someone because they're wearing nice shorts and a clean t shirt, even if it is in the MDR. But if (in the context of a nice dining room) those shorts are baggy basketball shorts and the shirt is either ripped or is festooned with slogans of dubious appropriateness (ie - Who Farted) , then I will judge you. Oh yes I will without shame judge you. And so will the majority of people. Then again, if I see that outfit at a sports bar, I got no problem. It's a matter of what's appropriate for the situation.

But to answer the question, "participate in what?" what we are participating in is an elegant evening in beautiful surroundings. If I go to the swimming pool in a tuxedo, I'm not participating (unless, I guess, if someone throws me in), I'm just there,and what's more, I look out of place. When I dress up for dinner, I am participating in that I am doing my part to support and share the kind of experience that the cruise line is trying to provide. That's not my obligation, but it's something that I choose to do, because I enjoy it, and because I would consider it disrespectful not to. I don't intend to imply that those who don't dress up are being disrespectful. As I said, I recognize that there are other viewpoints.

Your second question, "missing out on what" has essentially the same answer. You're missing out on being part of the beauty of an elegant evening. People are presenting the best version of themselves. They have made an effort to look nice. And it is nice to see. I can appreciate the natural beauty of a woman in a t-shirt and jeans, with no makeup and her hair in a pony tail, but that doesn't mean that I don't silently say "wow!" when I see that woman in a beautiful dress, flawlessly coiffed and made up. I'd venture to say the same for men. People appreciate it when you make the effort to look your best. Whether it is a sunset at sea or a beautifully dressed woman, our eyes are drawn to beauty no less surely than a compass needle points north. Beauty is its own justification. That is what you are missing out on.

As to the dubiousness of my guarantee, let me say this. Obviously, I don't mean that a well dressed person will get better service than someone dressed more casually every single time. But in general, all other things being equal, it definitely makes a difference. Not only have I observed this in various scenarios (shopping, at work, dining out, at the grocery store) , I have paid close attention. If you think it makes no difference, you're just not paying attention. I sometimes joke that there are university studies proving this or that, this is not a joke. There are university studies that prove conclusively that appearance matters, for a plethora of reasons.

It's still your right to choose not to dress up. But don't mock me when I do.

Who is mocking you? Not me.

Don’t own any slogan t shirts. Don’t dine in gym clothes

Live in south Florida. Polo and golf shorts is normal daily wear here and acceptable at most restaurants, in an area with some trendy and upscale places.

Yet I’m the one always lumped in with the offensive t shirt and gym shorts crowd. Go figure.

There is absolutely nothing special in a cruise dining room anymore. Nothing compared to 20, or even 10 years ago. I appreciate a nice sit down dinner but the frantic paced service, paused only to ask for good surveys, and middling quality banquet food does not rate as a special event for me.

Sure appearances matter in the real world. I’m not a slob in real life or on vacation. But vacation isn’t the real world and that’s the appeal. Your version of that differs from mine. On ships with 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 guests you have to accept that you won’t get as high a participation rate as in the past when ships held 1000-2000 guests and often there was no alternative to the MDR for dinner and no anytime dining.

Getting more dressed up on vacation to have a banquet meal than I would to go to nice restaurants in Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale just isn’t my thing anymore.

FTR, I am in professional b2b sales and don’t show up in my t shirts and sandals. And that’s the point

Actually, it tastes the same whether you wear any type of clothing or dine naked.

It is not all about you and just how the food tastes to you - it is at least a little bit about the atmosphere experienced by others as they taste their food - -and whether they have any reasonable expectations that the dress code they have been told about will actually apply.

My post went way over your head. I wasn't even close to being serious.

Live in south Florida. Polo and golf shorts is normal daily wear here and acceptable at most restaurants, in an area with some trendy and upscale places.

Yet I’m the one always lumped in with the offensive t shirt and gym shorts crowd. Go figure.

There is absolutely nothing special in a cruise dining room anymore. Nothing compared to 20, or even 10 years ago. I appreciate a nice sit down dinner but the frantic paced service, paused only to ask for good surveys, and middling quality banquet food does not rate as a special event for me.

Sure appearances matter in the real world. I’m not a slob in real life or on vacation. But vacation isn’t the real world and that’s the appeal. Your version of that differs from mine. On ships with 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 guests you have to accept that you won’t get as high a participation rate as in the past when ships held 1000-2000 guests and often there was no alternative to the MDR for dinner and no anytime dining.

Getting more dressed up on vacation to have a banquet meal than I would to go to nice restaurants in Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale just isn’t my thing anymore.

FTR, I am in professional b2b sales and don’t show up in my t shirts and sandals. And that’s the point

I completely understand your opinions.

Respectfully, I have to say that your questions were rendered in a what could easily be perceived as a mocking tone, but I can accept that that wasn't your intention. In any event, if you read this thread (not to mention the dozens, maybe hundreds on this general subject) you will find that, even if the more casually inclined posters aren't directly mocking the clothes worn by the more dress up inclined, they absolutely do mock our contention that it matters to others whether you dress up or not.

Comments to the effect that "I don't understand why you would care, we don't let it affect us at all" are conveyed with the clear intent of painting those who care about the dress code as stuffy, stuck up or stupid. I answered, I believe, clearly, sensibly and respectfully exactly why it matters to some of us what others wear, or, at least, why it matters to me.

Your response did not acknowledge the reasoning I presented. You did not address or rebut my answer, but rather just clarified that you are not dressing sloppily, just casually. As I noted in my post, you and others like you are not the type of cruiser who bothers me at all.

I don' t lump you in with the gym shorts crowd, and I do acknowledge that there are many snobby, rude, dresser uppers on these boards who do. I am not in agreement with these monocle popping holier than thou types any more than i am with you.

So, in the end, I see your viewpoint, I just disagree. No harm, no foul. Grownups can disagree and still be friends, or, at least, be friendly. Enjoy your cruises your way, and I'll certainly enjoy mine!

Ahh..it just wouldn't be CC without at least one dress code thread. ;)

Hmmm...pants or shorts...I would suggest the gentlemen wear one or the

other...the third choice is not something I would prefer to see

in a restaurant. :eek:;p

Some would disagree. I hear they have special charter cruises for that.;p

Ahh..it just wouldn't be CC without at least one dress code thread. ;)

Hmmm...pants or shorts...I would suggest the gentlemen wear one or the

other...the third choice is not something I would prefer to see

in a restaurant. :eek:;p

I agree,if everyone just acts grown up about dressing to suit the occasion we all should be fine.

I agree. Can't you breakdown and take a shower, clean drawers, and dress nicely with pants for the evening? I am assuming you are going to shower after being out all day. What's the big deal to slide those short off and put on a pair of pants - and shoes or boots, not flip flops? Not talking about top hat and tails.

It is pretty simple to look smart.

Your right although you would hope people would be mature and dress appropriately.

In theory I would hope so, but then again, who determines what is appropriate? Some here will saying anything less than a tux is not appropriate, others will say you have to have a suit, others a tie, others pants. While I would not wear gym shorts and a tshirt (offensive or not), I would not have a problem if somebody else did, that is their choice.