Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

I'm so impressed Jeffy! That was a lot of work! Bet you were exhausted after all of that! Hope you had a well deserved beer after that!

I knackered my knees last year stacking and so I paid rhem £50 to stack it whilst I sat down and chatted and watched. It was quite relaxing. What took me two days last year, took two of them 30 minutes or so. Mine was much more artistic, but I didn’t complain.

My stack last year .... much more elegant! :)

0e5d57efbc22b52a21d2bad35173e651.jpg

Jeff,

It looks like you have a mixture of ash and oak? I reckon that £50 for stacking was a bargain! It takes me about 2 hours to shift and stack for each ton delivered and this year we had six tons but I spread the work out a bit out of respect for my skeleton.

TTS......your stacking skills are awesome. It seems like your stash needs to be caged. Are there potential pilferers in your neck of the woods? Or are your stacks likely to go walk about? :)

No, Jeff has got the answer above - we use part of the dog kennels leaving 3 kennels in which Mrs TTS keeps her gardening accoutrements.

The kennels are ideal because they keep the weather off the wood yet allow it to air dry.

Ash, oak and beech. Looks like you use dog kennels for storage? I’m never going to stack again it is far too much like hard work.

We use wood and coal, and oil for background heating and hot water.

We use only 3-year seasoned oak. We tried Ash but it burns too quickly and a bit too hot. For the Woodburner the oak is both long-lasting and, as long as it is fully seasoned, very clean burning.

Is that 7.5 or 75 cubic metres?

What you see in the photos is roughly 4m cubed in the left and right kennels where the wood is stacked 3 deep and about 1m cubed in the middle one which is the end of last year's pile.

75cubic metres would see us to our dotage!

I thought it about that .... my delivery is a double load which equates to 3 cubic metres roughly. It’s kiln dried and is wonderful. That quantity is more than a years supply as we burn daily from around 4pm until around 1 am September to May. Kiln dried is wonderful.

Today's unmissable Nigerian offer ...

Dear Customer,

My name is Mr.Chris Banigoo, The AGM, International Remittance Dept. {Credit Control Unit}, Central Bank of Nigeria.

I have this privilege information having the sincere wish to help you receive your fund; it is unfortunate that you have not received your fund since due to your incapable representatives with their unprofessional approach to accomplish the release of your fund. I am very optimistic and have the confidence personally to transfer your fund into your bank account without our bank laid procedures.

I'm capable and ready to wire your fund without any further interference by those past directors concerned especially now that your fund is in the bond account awaiting for transfer, I therefore advise you to follow my instructions as I'm ready to ensure that you will receive your fund, I want you to take my words in good confidence and trust in my capacity towards ensuring immediate transfer of your fund.

It is totally against the ethics and civil service code of conduct in accordance with oath of office secrecy for me to review this, but I want to do it on personal capacity believing that you are not going to betray me but surely will come back to reward me for my sincerity, honesty and for my effort at the successful transferred of your fund. Note: what I want you to do now is either you set up a new bank account or send me a different bank account already set up where the fund will be safely wired into, because I don't want to use your former bank account for security reasons.

As the AGM, I controls the computer panel and the HB2 Hard Disk System, so, I will punch the computer KTT System and the fund will be credited to your bank account, then I will clean up the tracer and destroy the transaction file. Note: To assist transfer the fund to your account, you will reward me with 5% from the total sum for the assistance.

If you want me to proceed ahead, let me know as soon as you receive this e-mail, so that I will commence the transfer without further delay, it may be after 6 months our bank may find out and when they find out they cannot trace you or the fund because the transaction information will be destroy once the transfer is done. Therefore, I advise you to stop every communication both your so call partners and the bank directors here for the interest of this arrangement.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

Mr.Chris Banigoo

The AGM, International Remittance Dept {Credit Control Unit}

Central Bank of Nigeria.

I thought it about that .... my delivery is a double load which equates to 3 cubic metres roughly. It’s kiln dried and is wonderful. That quantity is more than a years supply as we burn daily from around 4pm until around 1 am September to May. Kiln dried is wonderful.

Kiln-dried is very easy to source in this area but is more expensive. A cubic metre of kiln-dried is about £65. Our supplier charges me £300 for 6 tons so that works out around £40 or so per cu mtr but I need to order a minimum of 6 tons, which just happens to be what we need anyway.

We use the burner all day with oil CH in the a.m. to heat the bedroom end of the house. Even so, we spend more on oil than wood. And oil ain't getting any cheaper. Because our bungalow is fairly open-plan the heat from the fire maintains the lounge area around 22-23 degrees yet the furthest bedroom never drops below 18 even without the CH. Only the garden room gets proper cold and we have to use the CH if we want to get that comfortable (which we tend to do only when we have visitors).

I'm a great advocate of woodburners for their efficiency and presence. We have a Jotul; the one in place when we arrived was a cheap UK thing that was, quite honestly, terrible - bad burn, dirty, hard to light and control - so we splashed out on the best. Great investment as long as the thing is properly flued and fitted.

I guess it is inevitable that Hampshire prices means we pay a lot more ..... we pay around £85 per cubic metre of kiln dried sadly ... but that is life.

With respect to oil, we are paying less now than in 2013. In February 2016 I was paying 23p per litre ... today it is 48.7 .... but in January 2013 it was 61p. Oil is much cheaper than I ever expected it to be and having a large tank means I can be a bit tactical when buying and we had a new more efficient boiler fitted a few years back.

In our previous place just outsiode St Neots, I fitted a Spencer Surdiac and fitted the Metalbestos flue through a hole in the wall and up the outside wall. I like the style you have - a bit like the Spencer. We now have a Jetmaster insert which is a reasonable compromise between open and closed.

I guess it is inevitable that Hampshire prices means we pay a lot more ..... we pay around £85 per cubic metre of kiln dried sadly ... but that is life.

With respect to oil, we are paying less now than in 2013. In February 2016 I was paying 23p per litre ... today it is 48.7 .... but in January 2013 it was 61p. Oil is much cheaper than I ever expected it to be and having a large tank means I can be a bit tactical when buying and we had a new more efficient boiler fitted a few years back.

In our previous place just outsiode St Neots, I fitted a Spencer Surdiac and fitted the Metalbestos flue through a hole in the wall and up the outside wall. I like the style you have - a bit like the Spencer. We now have a Jetmaster insert which is a reasonable compromise between open and closed.

We thought of building in a jotul because of the aesthetics, then we thought about one of the really modern Jotul designs but in the end cane back to the F3 both for its power rating (9.5 kW) and for its classic good looks. It sits nicely in the hearth and, to us, has a timeless elegance.

Your wood is very expensive. Ouch! Our 2500 litre oil tank gets a top up every spring having used between 1000 and 1200 litres much of which goes when my parents are staying when we are away - they aren't allowed to play with fire!

Even with shopping around that is basically Hampshire prices. Sadly.

The Spencer was around 11kw if it was to be believed and was far too hot for the property when on full blast. Wifey doesn’t allow me near the fire - she feels it is her domain. So it is wood and Homefire briqs together. We like to see the open fire so it is a compromise.

I consider the wood and fire a part of the entertainment rather than heating budget and there is something very reassuring about a tank full of oil, the coal and firewood all stacked particularly if you had a precarious early life! Something about knowing that you will be warm in winter. We now have the enormous battery for running the tv and broadband for the inevitable power cuts.