prior posts on taxi rate warnings in ft lauderdale

creel5857

I have seen some recent posts on warnings about some of the taxi drivers who over charge and take longer routes to airport from the cruise terminal. Is there a taxi/cab name or color that we need to be cautious of or how do we know who to select once we are ready to leave cruise terminal?? Thanks for any tips

I have seen some recent posts on warnings about some of the taxi drivers who over charge and take longer routes to airport from the cruise terminal. Is there a taxi/cab name or color that we need to be cautious of or how do we know who to select once we are ready to leave cruise terminal?? Thanks for any tips

Once, in Orlando, we had a taxi driver take us on the unnecessary/unrequested "scenic route." When he still demanded a ripoff payment despite my pointing out that it was twice the amount of a previous trip from the same "point A" to "point B," I stepped outside at our hotel and asked the doorman to call the police. When a Sheriff's deputy, showed up, I explained the situation. Net result: free taxi ride.

Always ask airport info desks or hotel concierges what the usual cost of a taxi trip should be. Likewise, clarify that cost with the driver before agreeing to the ride (this includes taxis with meters, which may have varying rates (controlled by a button).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate taxi rides for exactly that reason. I rarely use the word hate - but this truly applies. I have been ripped off all over North America. I was RELIEVED to discover UBER while travelling to Portland and since I have used them my experience is so much better....

When I do take a taxi I always use my phone to take a photo of the cab # and the driver's info -- if the driver asks why I always respond "Just in case I forget something." Knowing that you have his info and a date/time/location stamped photo keeps most of the crooked cab drivers on their best behavior.

I’ve never had any problems in Fort Lauderdale. It’s usually 13 or $14, and I usually just let them have the $20 and go on my way. However it’s always good to ask that question because in some places in the world if you get into the taxi and say “take me” they might just do that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No one in particular.

I would just say when you get into the cab where you want to go and that you cruise there often.

This kind of thing doesn't just happen in Fort Lauderdale.

Keith

Keith

I respect your opinion and you always provide helpful info, but I don't agree that this doesn't happen in Ft Lauderdale. There are threads (some very recent) that discuss this and there are some examples of this happening.

In my experience, after several cruises to and from PE, we have had mostly good experiences with cabs. But we did have one trip where the driver, even after I told him we knew the way and wanted to take the shortest route, took us the long way around to the port. Spent a lot of time waiting to get into PE as a result. I gave him the $20 it showed on the meter and no tip.

And, if you are sailing on Princess and at Terminal 2, there is no excuse for the driver to even enter PE, he can take you right to the terminal, no security checkpoint to pass thru. It does make a difference where your ship embarks/disembarks, so this is another thing for cruisers to be awrae of.

So, while I accept that most cab drivers don't do this, some do and it is best to be prepared before you get in the cab. Not at all wrong for people to question what they should expect and we can all help by sharing our experiences, hopefully giving a broad enough view of what to expect or what could happen.

ML

No one in particular.

I would just say when you get into the cab where you want to go and that you cruise there often.

This kind of thing doesn't just happen in Fort Lauderdale.

Keith

Keith

I respect your opinion and you always provide helpful info, but I don't agree that this doesn't happen in Ft Lauderdale. There are threads (some very recent) that discuss this and there are some examples of this happening.

ML

I don't believe he meant that it doesn't happen in Fort Lauderdale---that would have been "doesn't happen" in Fort Lauderdale, he said "doesn't JUST happen" in Fort Lauderdale. That would mean that it happens in other places, in addition to Fort Lauderdale.

I don't believe he meant that it doesn't happen in Fort Lauderdale---that would have been "doesn't happen" in Fort Lauderdale, he said "doesn't JUST happen" in Fort Lauderdale. That would mean that it happens in other places, in addition to Fort Lauderdale.

Ahh, possibly I misread that--good catch.

I believe FLL cabs do not use a flat rate from cruise port to airport and vice versa, so a taxi who does quote an upfront flat rate would be a red flag. Always make sure the meter is on and running. Or just get Uber or Lyft and you won't have any issues.

So what exactly is the most direct route the cab should take to get to the port?

You would have to map your airline terminal and cruise terminal to find out. Any way you cut it, if you look at at map, the two are so close there aren't really opportunities for them to take a 'scenic' route unless they purposely drove in the entirely opposite direction.

You would have to map your airline terminal and cruise terminal to find out. Any way you cut it, if you look at at map, the two are so close there aren't really opportunities for them to take a 'scenic' route unless they purposely drove in the entirely opposite direction.

Here's the map from the Port Everglades/ website: https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Everglades_Map_REVISED_November_30_2016_bae57d31-04c5-41d1-b193-a4bf242d9293.pdf. The port and the airport are just separated by a highway.