Would I Accept an Upgrade?

Igggy

Firstly, I'm new to Princess. While reserving a booking with a Princess agent yesterday, I was asked 'Would I Accept an Upgrade?'. As I had selected an M1 mid-ships mini-suite, I asked what I could be upgraded to. She said a full suite or a better mini-suite. I said OK, I would accept, as it seemed a strange question, and a no brainer.

Thinking more about it, I realized there may be a downside to this. Princess could now move me to a better mini-suite, in their opinion, or for their convenience. One that I do not want.

Has anyone had this experience and what was the outcome?

My advise, choose the accept the upgrade option.

M1 are the best Club Class mini suites in the best locations. So, they can not really change your location. The only thing better is a full suite. If you are on the Grand, Golden or Caribbean then the next step up would be a Window Suite. That is a full suite with all the full suite benefits, but the cabin has a window instead of a balcony, and is on a lower deck. If you are another ship all the full suites have a balcony.

Yes, if you are already in the very top category of Mini-Suites, then one can only move up.

You might want to check to see if there are any other min-suites on your ship in your top category that might have a location that might be an issue, such as over a loud bar/venue. But, I don't see why princess would supposedly upgrade you from your current category to another mini-suite in the exact same category.

My advise, choose the accept the upgrade option.

M1 are the best Club Class mini suites in the best locations. So, they can not really change your location. The only thing better is a full suite. If you are on the Grand, Golden or Caribbean then the next step up would be a Window Suite. That is a full suite with all the full suite benefits, but the cabin has a window instead of a balcony, and is on a lower deck. If you are another ship all the full suites have a balcony.

Princess won't "upgrade" someone from a cabin with a balcony to one with no balcony. Not going to be upgraded from a Mini to a WS.

This is a question that is asked on EVERY booking. If it isn't, then the representative or your TA has forgotten but there is definitely a setting for every booking. You have 3 options:

No upgrade accepted

Yes, upgrade to next cabin grouping (Meta Upgrade - from inside to outside, outside to balcony, etc.)

Yes, will accept anything

And yes, you are subject to their interpretation of what is considered an "upgrade".

I’m also new to Princess, so when we were asked if we’d like an upgrade, of course I said yes. Had no idea it would put us at the opposite end of the ship from our friends. It was almost impossible to stay in touch because we are never in our room. VERY disappointing! We’ll never accept an upgrade again if traveling with family or friends.

They've tried to upgrade me twice even though I told them Meta Upgrade only and these weren't. Both times were to cabins in my opinion an undesirable location (right above the theater). The last time I had to fight to go back to my original cabin and I told them no upgrade whatsoever. but I was in a lower category so you should be good.

We are going on the Grand (10 days SF-Alaska-SF) in June of 2018. We booked A premium Balcony on Caribe Deck because they have the larger balconies. Later due to price reductions we discussed moving into a mini suite but decided the Larger deck was preferable since our room was going to be the focal point with other cruisers traveling in inside cabins. You are not forced into upgrades are you? Because as it stands now unless we get a mini suite with a Caribe deck size balcony we would most likely refuse.

We are going on the Grand (10 days SF-Alaska-SF) in June of 2018. We booked A premium Balcony on Caribe Deck because they have the larger balconies. Later due to price reductions we discussed moving into a mini suite but decided the Larger deck was preferable since our room was going to be the focal point with other cruisers traveling in inside cabins. You are not forced into upgrades are you? Because as it stands now unless we get a mini suite with a Caribe deck size balcony we would most likely refuse.

We always mark our booking "Allow Upgrades"

We have received these free upgrades a few times and not always on a Princess cruise .

I don't believe that we have ever received email notification until we spotted it ourselves .

Upgrade always worked to our satisfaction anyway.

We always mark our booking "Allow Upgrades"

We have received these free upgrades a few times and not always on a Princess cruise .

I don't believe that we have ever received email notification until we spotted it ourselves .

Upgrade always worked to our satisfaction anyway.

Sorry for acting dumb but they just moved your room without saying anything? Now that is one more thing I have to keep checking on our Cabin Number.

Sorry for acting dumb but they just moved your room without saying anything? Now that is one more thing I have to keep checking on our Cabin Number.

Yes , just noticed the upgrade when accessing our booking looking at shore excursions , personal data , etc.

It was always a decent upgrade . We are not fussy about cabin location and we usually book a balcony or mini by $$$ .

We book with a TA (who didn't receive notification) . I can believe that as a couple of these Upgrades were made during the 17 years that I was a TA , and did not always receive notice .

Of course free upgrades were more frequent then ( before they began the Upsell thing ).

Sent from my iPad using Forums