Alaska cruise on Legend April 29, 2019 - port or starboard

First Carnival cruise and first Alaska cruise.

I cannot tell from the posted itinerary if we should book port or starboard. If I am going to freeze my tail off on that balcony I want to make it's worth it!

Cruising 7 days from Vancouver, I just can't handle the cold long enough to do a 10 or 12 day trip. Has anyone done this itinerary that can give me some tips. This is my husband's dream, I have been holding off as long as possible as I am a So Cal gal who requires 72 and sunny to survive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The side makes no difference. When you are in the Fjord or Glacier Bay (whichever one your itinerary is doing), you’ll have fantastic views from both sides.

Enjoy your cruise. I was on the 4/30/17 Legend sailing and it was fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The trip to Alaska is well worth the cold! This coming from a Floridian. I would wait until June if the cold weather makes you uncomfortable. You might just get your 72 and sunny in June. It varies. The ship turns around in Glacier bay. Eventually you will see all the views from wherever you happen to be.

Remember, just because you’re on the port side doesn’t mean that port side of the ship will be facing port when docked. Our Alaskan Miracle cruise we almost always docked starboard side facing the dock.

We went in the 2nd week of July 2016 and had mild temperatures. A friend of mine was there the week before and said it was cool the whole time. Dress in layers and you won't go wrong. Just remember that while the ship is moving it can feel colder than normal and the interior isn't a whole lot better on some of these ships!

I'm going to say something total different. Neither!!!

I highly recommend one of extended aft balcony or if you can afford it an aft wraparound balcony. The two big advantages in the back is you get to see both sides and you are totally shielded from the wind by the ship and this makes the temperature very reasonable. On top of all that in the Tracy Arm Fjord we got to see everything twice(once going in and again after we turned around).

When we were in the Fjord I was in shorts and a tea-shirt the entire time we were in transit. I will say anytime I ventured to lido and people saw what I was wearing they thought I was nuts. Its also didn't help that when I was asked about it, I told them I was ready to swim with the dolphins.

The only negatives I have about the aft balcony are

1. Its a low pressure area so if someone is smoking towards the back of the ship(not flowing the rules) your will always smell a little bit of it.

2. The back of the ship slopes so most of the lower cabin are only partially covered so when it rains(it will in Alaska) things will get wet.

The April 29 cruise is from Vancouver to Seattle and does not visit Glacier Bay. Good luck getting into Tracy Arm Fjord, few made it this year. Going north, you will be in the inside passage east of Vancouver island and will have scenery both sides, When not in the inside passage you will be too far from land to see anything but a dark horizon. So side will not matter. EM

• 1 year later...

Does not matter what side you are on.  An aft wrap would be the best cabin.  Dress in layers and dress warm, especially around the glaciers.  Gloves, hats, hoods, multiple layers are required or you will freeze to death.  

If you are going to Glacier Bay (Sorry I didn't look), then port side allows you the most time watching the Glaciers. When we went through Glacier Bay a couple years ago the captain did turn around so all sides could see but most of the time we were close to the glaciers on the port side. We spent the entire time on our balcony. It was great.

• 3 weeks later...

We've cruised to Alaska 3 times.  First trip was on Princess Sapphire with a mini balcony.  We hardly ever used the balcony because it was way too cold and rainy.  Unless you are nearing a glacier or one of the fjords, there really isn't much to see, other than a small indication of land in the far off distance.

Our next 2 cruises to Alaska were both for 14 days with an oceanview cabin.  MUCH CHEAPER.  The best place to view the glaciers is from one of the open public decks on the ship.  When you get close to the glacier, the ship will spend an hour doing a very slow spin.  If you sit exclusively on your own balcony, you will miss half of the view.  As the ship turned, we moved to another location.  The most exciting thing to see (and hear) is when part of the glacier calves off huge chunks of ice.  If you're balcony is facing the opposite direction when it happens, you will miss it.  If you prefer to stay warmer, sit near a window on one of the other public decks, but switch spots as the view changes.  Even in July, it will be cold outside near the glaciers, and you will want a winter coat, hat and gloves.

In my opinion, a balcony is a waste of money for Alaska.  I would rather have a 14 day cruise with an oceanview room for half the price of a 7 day cruise with a balcony there.  Our 14 day cruises were each about $800 to $900 per person.  The 7 day cruise with a mini suite was $2,000 per person.  

With Holland America we had 8 port stops on a RT out of Seattle.  It was nice to see Kodiak, Sitka and Anchorage.

On our 14 day cruise with Princess, it was a B2B North/South cruise from Vancouver.  It stopped at the same main 3 ports of Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway each way.  We opted to do a tour on one port stop in each city, while just shopping and walking around on the other time there.

On 11/7/2017 at 7:45 PM, BlessedandGrateful said:

First Carnival cruise and first Alaska cruise.

I cannot tell from the posted itinerary if we should book port or starboard. If I am going to freeze my tail off on that balcony I want to make it's worth it!

Cruising 7 days from Vancouver, I just can't handle the cold long enough to do a 10 or 12 day trip. Has anyone done this itinerary that can give me some tips. This is my husband's dream, I have been holding off as long as possible as I am a So Cal gal who requires 72 and sunny to survive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Legend 4/30-5/8/2017 leaving out of Vancouver and ending in Seattle. First cruise after coming from Australia. First few days quite chilly and very windy. Loved being on deck with the naturalist. Had to duck in here and there to stay warm. By the end of the cruise we were able to sit on our balcony with short sleeves. Beautiful country-you will love it. Ship was looking a little worse for wear on the outside-but with all the sea days from Australia hard to clean outside. Inside was spotless.

4 minutes ago, LPut714 said:

We were on the Legend 4/30-5/8/2017 leaving out of Vancouver and ending in Seattle. First cruise after coming from Australia. First few days quite chilly and very windy. Loved being on deck with the naturalist. Had to duck in here and there to stay warm. By the end of the cruise we were able to sit on our balcony with short sleeves. Beautiful country-you will love it. Ship was looking a little worse for wear on the outside-but with all the sea days from Australia hard to clean outside. Inside was spotless.

Agree with PlanoDebbie-we spent most of our time up in the Lido deck or above. The could get crazy during meal times as folks were camped out in there spots but we always found a spot. Food was ok. 

2 minutes ago, LPut714 said:

Agree with PlanoDebbie-we spent most of our time up in the Lido deck or above. The could get crazy during meal times as folks were camped out in there spots but we always found a spot. Food was ok. 

we were on the starboard side but doesn't make a difference

We did the 7 day cruise from Seattle last August.  It was freezing.  I was so thankful to have my own balcony where I could go out and enjoy the fjord and go inside to warm up.  We normally get balcony rooms on cruises anyhow but this one was a definite. Why would I want to jockey for a window with other people when I have the best view from my quiet balcony?  As far as starboard or port, you'll see everything you can from either, except the whales.  It will seem like they are always on the OTHER side of the ship!!