Early flight out of Fort Lauderdale - any chance we will make it?

slanik

We are cruising in February out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity Silhouette. I have made 9:30 am flight arrangements on return. Now I'm having second thoughts that it's too early. What are your opinions? Any recent experience out of the port in FLL to the airport? Thank you. Let me know if I should change them. What is the earliest I should make?

We are scheduled to dock at 7 am in Fort Lauderdale. My experience in past cruises is that when we wake-up we are usually already docked. I'm not sure when we would be cleared to disembark and how long it would take to get to the airport.

Is there a chance you'll make it with time to spare? Yes, absolutely. Is there a chance you'll miss the flight? Yes.

It's so early that nobody can give you a straight answer on whether you will make it or not. But it's early enough that there is at least some risk of not making it. My experience has been similar to yours... already docked when you wake up with disembark starting well before 7. If that is the case, doing Self-Assist and lining up early should make getting to a 9:30AM flight relatively painless. If you don't actually disembark until well after 7, then things get iffy. As long as you can be to the airport by 8AM, I would think you'll be fine. The question is what time you'll get off that cruise ship...

If you have the option to reasonably book a flight slightly later or you are simply risk adverse, you may want to look into later flight options.

Make sure you have a Plan B. Will you incur any costs for missing your flight(s)? When is the next available flight? Will it have seats available (don't count on it on a weekend in the high season; you may get luckier on a weekday or in the low season). If you have to wait a day, how much will a hotel room cost? etc., etc.

I'm in the FLL airport now. We got off the ship quickly and quick taxi to the airport but then stood in a 45 min long line just to get thru TSA! We were TSA PRE but they weren't using it - everyone had to stand in a huge line.

So......be careful and take unexpected events into consideration when booking a flight. I'd never book one before noon.

I wouldn't even consider a flight that early. Even though it might be better than this, I always figure two hours from the time the ship is scheduled to dock, half an hour to the airport, and I want to arrive two hours before the flight is scheduled to leave. The very earliest I would suggest booking would be 11:30, and I personally, I wouldn't book any earlier than noon. Why end a beautiful vacation with all that stress?

9:30 - no way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Things happen all the time that will delay your disembarkation.

Just last week a pilot ship ran into a cruise ship shutting down the port for hours.

Welcome back! Started to worry about you after you not being on here and not answering my email!!

• 4 months later...
We are cruising in February out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity Silhouette. I have made 9:30 am flight arrangements on return. Now I'm having second thoughts that it's too early. What are your opinions? Any recent experience out of the port in FLL to the airport? Thank you. Let me know if I should change them. What is the earliest I should make?

Did you make your flight? We are going on the silhouette next feb 2019 and have also booked early flights. Would like to know what you did!