Own bought OBC refundable?

Georgie562

But, I always prefer to not give anyone my money until it's actually necessary to do so.

That made a lot of sense in the days when savings accounts earned a decent rate of interest. Now that the interest lost, vs. the interest paid on a credit card, is mere pennies (literally), it doesn't make as much sense anymore.

It's much easier, and less expensive, to pay the credit card bill in full every month, and in smaller amounts over a period of months.

Why would anyone buy OBC? Just let your purchases onboard add up and settle to your credit card at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To deal with the exchange rate fluctuation. The Canadian dollar can change up to 10% a month.

I also prefer not to have anything on my card when the cruise is over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To deal with the exchange rate fluctuation. The Canadian dollar can change up to 10% a month.

I also prefer not to have anything on my card when the cruise is over.

definitely. I don't know what the future holds but right now I am up a significant %. No bank pays me the interest rate I am saving ;)

I'd rather be in control than have the exchange rate control me ;)

definitely. I don't know what the future holds but right now I am up a significant %. No bank pays me the interest rate I am saving ;)

I'd rather be in control than have the exchange rate control me ;)

I'm paying between 20% and 30% exchange rate on the Canadian dollar. I only do this when I have extra cash for the cruise . This way I don't pay CC interest and the bank gives 1% on money in my account.

Why would anyone buy OBC? Just let your purchases onboard add up and settle to your credit card at the end.

Not all of us have high limit credit cards. For my upcoming 22 day cruise X $60 per day that’s $1,320. I have baby credit, my credit card only has a $300 limit

Not all of us have high limit credit cards. For my upcoming 22 day cruise X $60 per day that’s $1,320. I have baby credit, my credit card only has a $300 limit

You may want to revisit how you do your finances. The current average new credit card limit for someone with a good credit history in the US is $9k plus.

You may want to revisit how you do your finances. The current average new credit card limit for someone with a good credit history in the US is $9k plus.

not really a very nice thing to say. you don't know him or have any idea of his circumstances.

not really a very nice thing to say. you don't know him or have any idea of his circumstances.

Not meant to be nice or not. Just a reality check. If someone's credit limit is only a few hundred dollars, the last thing they should be thinking about is a cruise, particularly one that's three weeks long.

Not meant to be nice or not. Just a reality check. If someone's credit limit is only a few hundred dollars, the last thing they should be thinking about is a cruise, particularly one that's three weeks long.

Again, you don't know the situation. Georgie562 may have plenty of resources to pay for the cruise, just not the current ability or desire (for whatever reason) to obtain the credit card you seem to feel is necessary to be able to cruise. It is Georgie562's choice to cruise or not, and we should not judge if he should.

I purposely select credit cards with low limits.

Sorry folks but, if you are a "cruiser" to foreign lands, even with comprehensive travel insurance, one emergency room demand for upfront payment will get you to change your mind about "low credit limits."

Sorry folks but, if you are a "cruiser" to foreign lands, even with comprehensive travel insurance, one emergency room demand for upfront payment will get you to change your mind about "low credit limits."

That’s why we medical evacuation insurance. They will pay the bill them fly us home.

That’s why we medical evacuation insurance. They will pay the bill them fly us home.

That depends on your insurance company and coverage.

You still may have to pay the bill and then get reimbursed when you get home and submit your claim, in which case you need to be able to cover the cost on your credit card(s).

so just because I have a $300 credit card limit and not so perfect credit I don’t get the same right to travel? Just some FYI sir, this will be my 21st cruise since started cruising in 2009 . I work 65+ hours a week . I have every damn right to spend my hard earned paycheck anyway I chose, including 3 week cruises. You are no one to speak about my financial situation as you don’t know me or how I live . That’s all. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

so just because I have a $300 credit card limit and not so perfect credit I don’t get the same right to travel? Just some FYI sir, this will be my 21st cruise since started cruising in 2009 . I work 65+ hours a week . I have every damn right to spend my hard earned paycheck anyway I chose, including 3 week cruises. You are no one to speak about my financial situation as you don’t know me or how I live . That’s all. Thanks

No one's saying you don't need or deserve a hard earned vacation. But, when you are traveling internationally (particularly with a family in tow), it is only reasonable and common sense that you would be prepared for an emergency. In most third world countries, you would be expected to pay up front for treatment in an emergency room (most often regardless of whether or not you have insurance). And, as you can imagine, a $300 credit card limit doesn't come close to what you'll need (easily could be thousands).

Risking your own well being is one thing. But, IMO, potentially risking the well-being of family members is a whole other ball game.