Martinique

Oceans16

Our itinerary changed a little due to the recent hurricanes and we are going to Matinique instead of St. Maarten. All of the research I have found on what to do is in French! Does anyone have any suggestions of what we might do there other than the excursions the ship shows? Thanks!

Our itinerary changed a little due to the recent hurricanes and we are going to Matinique instead of St. Maarten. All of the research I have found on what to do is in French! Does anyone have any suggestions of what we might do there other than the excursions the ship shows? Thanks!

The scenic tour that goes to the historic church and many other locations is quite impressive...we did that one and saw many nice sights...also through Royal.

From my experience, I make two recommendations.

Go to the Jardin de Balata. Their website is in French, but you can get the gist of things.

http://www.jardindebalata.fr

And you can read about it on trip advisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147328-d147828-Reviews-Jardin_de_Balata-Fort_de_France_Arrondissement_of_Fort_de_France_Martinique.html

Also, this wonderful tour operator gave us a fabulous visit to Martinique:

(we did the Pile et Face tour)

http://www.karamboletoursmartinique.com/?lang=en

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g657860-d8670344-Reviews-Karambole_Tours-Sainte_Luce_Arrondissement_of_Le_Marin_Martinique.html

We used Karambole tours last year. The guide/owner Christelle speaks very good English and takes you to many highlights of the island and also gives you food samples of the island. Highly recommended.

You might check the Martinique ports of call board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115

I wrote a review of the Royal Caribbean excursion we did there (St. Pierre and Rum Distillery):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2335174

Photobucket pictures don't work anymore but at least it will give you an idea what that excursion is like.

You might check the Martinique ports of call board:

Photobucket pictures don't work anymore but at least it will give you an idea what that excursion is like.

I too, used to use photobucket to post pics. Mad that they now charge a lot of $’s to be able to post to third party sites. But, just found out that I can post my photos directly to CC using my iPad. I just use the photo icon at the bottom of my post. Works great!

Gwen [emoji3]

I too, used to use photobucket to post pics. Mad that they now charge a lot of $’s to be able to post to third party sites. But, just found out that I can post my photos directly to CC using my iPad. I just use the photo icon at the bottom of my post. Works great!

Gwen [emoji3]

Yes, unfortunately CC doesn't allow you to go back and edit old posts so I can't go fix the broken pictures and haven't ever gotten around to reposting my review with new links.

Try this site http://us.martinique.org/

On Jewel 1/7/18. Dominica cancelled, (poor people there :() and replaced with Martinique. On the suggestion from fellow CC members, and research on "that other travel site"....I booked with RCI shore excursion for the botanical gardens. Sounded interesting!

We really enjoyed out time and tour on Martinque island.

This is the excursion we enjoyed - booked ahead of time through the Cruise Planner on the Royal Caribbean site:

Royal Caribbean Tour - Panoramic - Tour Of Martinique - BOOKED ONLINE on your reservation page - $98.00 per couple

We had originally booked with a private tour operator to see the sites of the island, but less than one week prior to our arrival she cancelled because a large group contracted with her for the same day and was paying her more money. So we really had no time to make alternate plans.

When we got off the ship there were quite a few taxis available with bi-lingual drivers. So we just picked one and had a great day. Saw a lot of Martinique and as I recall the cost was very reasonable. After our tour we still had plenty of time to walk around town and have lunch. WE fell in love with Martinique. If you like the idea of an island in the Caribbean that has not been turned into a tourist trap you may like it as well. No Diamonds International, Senor Frogs, Margaritaville or other US chain dumps littering the area.

After reading this thread, I posted in the Scuba thread, asking if anyone has dove from this island, the one website referenced above mentioned diving vacations here. If anyone see this thread and has dove here, please comment.

We had originally booked with a private tour operator to see the sites of the island, but less than one week prior to our arrival she cancelled because a large group contracted with her for the same day and was paying her more money. So we really had no time to make alternate plans.

When we got off the ship there were quite a few taxis available with bi-lingual drivers. So we just picked one and had a great day. Saw a lot of Martinique and as I recall the cost was very reasonable. After our tour we still had plenty of time to walk around town and have lunch. WE fell in love with Martinique. If you like the idea of an island in the Caribbean that has not been turned into a tourist trap you may like it as well. No Diamonds International, Senor Frogs, Margaritaville or other US chain dumps littering the area.

Thank you and I do love the fact is isn't commercialized.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

We really enjoyed out time and tour on Martinque island.

This is the excursion we enjoyed - booked ahead of time through the Cruise Planner on the Royal Caribbean site:

Royal Caribbean Tour - Panoramic - Tour Of Martinique - BOOKED ONLINE on your reservation page - $98.00 per couple

I looked into that as well. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app