Boarding Adventure tomorrow - we made it!

ckrobyn

We made it onboard by noon [emoji3] There were long lines waiting to get into the terminal building, but once inside things moved along. We boarded on deck 1, my guess is the escalators aren’t working which is why we didn’t get to board on deck 4?

They also made one of the centrum elevator banks “up only” to transport passengers from deck 1. No big deal, but it was raining when we boarded so we got a bit sprinkled on [emoji849].

There are some nice changes/reno’s to the public areas - I’ll do some more exploring later on I’m sure.

Just so happy to finally be onboard [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. We sail out from there next Saturday. Are the taxis up and running in PR?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

We made it onboard by noon [emoji3] There were long lines waiting to get into the terminal building, but once inside things moved along. We boarded on deck 1, my guess is the escalators aren’t working which is why we didn’t get to board on deck 4?

They also made one of the centrum elevator banks “up only” to transport passengers from deck 1. No big deal, but it was raining when we boarded so we got a bit sprinkled on [emoji849].

There are some nice changes/reno’s to the public areas - I’ll do some more exploring later on I’m sure.

We board in a few weeks, and are flying into SJU really early on Saturday. Is there an area with seats at the port to wait? I'd hate to fly overnight then have to stand for hours, cause then I'll be cranky and tired - bad combo!

so glad you made it. have friends, bill and Carol, he's tall, she short (probably equal to half the ship:D) but they flew in on day of departure. They are from Virginia-if you see them tell them Heather said GOOD JOB-you made it on time.

Enjoy the Adventure-love the ship!

Honestly, I️ can’t believe we are here in San Juan. The last few months since the catastrophic hurricane hit Puerto Rico have been fraught with changes in flights and hotels and coming very close to not having a flight home at all when Air Canada pulled their planes out of SJ and neglected to tell us!

Let me be clear, my travel drama is NOTHING compared to what the citizens of this lovely island have to endure.....

I️ know many of you with upcoming cruises out of SJ are probably eagerly waiting for updates like I was, so I️ want to pay it forward and hopefully lend some insight.

We flew on American Airlines from Toronto to Miami, with a 2 hour stopover, then on to SJ. The flights were great.

Just as we were starting to descend into SJ I️ was looking out the window and noticing most homes seemed to have pools in their backyard- kinda hard to see from 10,000 feet but it looked like many pools. As we continued our descent it became sadly apparent that I wasn’t looking at pools at all, what I was seeing were blue tarps covering the majority of roofs of people’s homes [emoji853]

The devastation is very apparent from the air, and it’s heartbreaking.

The airport itself is running on full power, with shops and restaurants operating normally. They are also in the process of installing slot machines in the departure terminal!

Taxi ride to our hotel was quick, and we are very fortunate to be staying at La Concha which has full power. I️ know that hotels are canceling reservations all the time and we were very stressed that we may not have anywhere to stay. We feel very lucky.

The Condado area has many shops and restaurants open, although many are running on generator power. We ate dinner in the hotel tonight, and it was great. The lobby is full of people with live music.

I’m so excited to board the Adventure tomorrow, and look forward to a fun week on my favorite ship! [emoji16]

I’m happy to answer any questions..

We are flying in Saturday for the cruise. I hope our trip is as uneventful as yours.

We board in a few weeks, and are flying into SJU really early on Saturday. Is there an area with seats at the port to wait? I'd hate to fly overnight then have to stand for hours, cause then I'll be cranky and tired - bad combo!

I'm interested in knowing this too - thanks to jetBlue changing flight times, I'll arrive in SJU @ 9:45AM....can't possibly take me 2 hours to get from airport to cruise port.

I also anticipate cranky and tired. I'll need a nap before a cocktail!

We had to stand in line outside until they opened the doors to let us check in (which was around 11:30 am). Once in the check-in area there were some chairs, but not a lot. Luckily we didn't have to wait there long until we were able to board the ship.

We had to stand in line outside until they opened the doors to let us check in (which was around 11:30 am). Once in the check-in area there were some chairs, but not a lot. Luckily we didn't have to wait there long until we were able to board the ship.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps we will just hang at the airport for awhile!

Hope the reason Robyn hasn't been posting recently is that she's busy having a great time.

Hoping all is well.

Just curious how the hard sell for everything is on your cruise, wait staff begging for a 10 rating, and getting interrupted during dinner for the beverage package hard sell, etc. etc.

Take your time and enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps we will just hang at the airport for awhile!

I'd heard similar stories before we left so we waited at our hotel until almost 11 am before we headed over. It was really hot and humid the day we left so I didn't want to wait outside in line any longer than I had to! The really need to put overhead fans in like they have at Disney.

Hope the reason Robyn hasn't been posting recently is that she's busy having a great time.

Hoping all is well.

Just curious how the hard sell for everything is on your cruise, wait staff begging for a 10 rating, and getting interrupted during dinner for the beverage package hard sell, etc. etc.

Take your time and enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

I’m having a fantastic time [emoji41]

Today is Bonaire and it was amazing.

I️ haven’t been posting because I️ didn’t want to make this a Live report.... there are so many now.

I️ just wanted to alleviate some trepidations that people have about travel to SJ.

There is absolutely no hard sell for anything on this cruise.

Weather is perfect and I’m loving being back on my favorite ship [emoji3]

I️ haven’t been posting because I️ didn’t want to make this a Live report.... there are so many now.

I️ just wanted to alleviate some trepidations that people have about travel to SJ.

Hey Robyn,

The 19-20 Caribbean schedule is out today, and FOS is only sailing from San Juan. It has an ABC Islands cruise 12/1/19 which I'd love to book. Considering what you went thru sailing from San Juan, would you ever sail from there again? I guess the other issue is was there alot of additional cost of flying into San Juan? Finally, do you have a solid recommendation for a pre-cruise hotel? Thank you and sorry for interrupting your vacation!!

I have yet to make it there. I've only seen the lights in the distance at night as we sailed by on Adventure.

For anyone on the Adventure (with experience) - we are on next year and I have 2 questions.

We have a js on the pool deck (deck 11)- front of ship starboard. how is it?

Muster - I have been told there are two musters as our cruise leaves Puerto Rico at 8:30 pm. What are the two muster times?

Thx...

For anyone on the Adventure (with experience) - we are on next year and I have 2 questions.

Muster - I have been told there are two musters as our cruise leaves Puerto Rico at 8:30 pm. What are the two muster times?

Thx...

The cabins on deck 11 aren't there yet.

The muster drills are at 5:45 and 8:15-ish. The late drill is for those who boarded after 5:15 or so.

Hey Robyn,

The 19-20 Caribbean schedule is out today, and FOS is only sailing from San Juan. It has an ABC Islands cruise 12/1/19 which I'd love to book. Considering what you went thru sailing from San Juan, would you ever sail from there again? I guess the other issue is was there alot of additional cost of flying into San Juan? Finally, do you have a solid recommendation for a pre-cruise hotel? Thank you and sorry for interrupting your vacation!!

That’s a great question, and one I’ve asked myself several times over the last few days. The reality is, even with all the uncertainty with respect to our travel plans, everything worked out for us the way it would have had there been no hurricane. The airport was fully functional and efficient, and our hotel was 100% operational with full power. The taxi to the hotel and the port were quick.

This was my experience, however I️ know so many others who had, and are having a miserable time trying to secure accommodations. To answer your question though, I’m probably going to wait a bit before booking to SJ. Not necessarily because of the damage, but because there are other ships and itineraries that I’d like to try.

The decision may be easier for me because I️ have sailed out of SJ and seen all of tases ports (with the exception of Bonaire) more than a dozen times.

My recommendation for a pre-cruise hotel is La Concha, if you can secure it [emoji106]

I have yet to make it there. I've only seen the lights in the distance at night as we sailed by on Adventure.

Bonaire is simply put, a lovely and un-spoiled island. While it looks similar to Aruba and Curacao, there are differences for sure. The coastline is gorgeous. I️ can see why shore diving is so popular. I️ have a deep appreciation for the fact the entire island is ecologically friendly, and animals big and small are treated with kindness and respect. They inhabit protected lands and beautiful to see in their habitat.

Plus, the color of the water is magnificent [emoji3]

4517e629d8648ce5fb49754d84bc7109.jpg

You’re welcome [emoji106]

The last few months have been crazy stressful, so I’m hoping to ease some worry!

I️ can only speak for the condition of La Concha though...... not sure about other hotels?

For those of you staying in San Juan for the next several months, find your hotel on Facebook. Many of the hotels have been using that as their primary update to their customers.

Thx...

Very few people have actually stayed in those cabins as they are brand new. The main muster is usually around 5:30, but listen for announcements as things can vary, and that might be more likely now.