Splendor design speculation

Portolan

One of the more bizarre design features on Explorer is the huge atrium void that just seems to be a waste of space and collects dust on all the ledges.

Lest anyone was confused with my previous post, I was not referring to the splendid Atrium area on Explorer decks 4 and 5; but rather the huge, pointless bland space on decks 6 and above which appears to serve no useful purpose (either practical or aesthetic)

b70f588b72b8b9efa1aaff58f21e943a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About the only thing I wish for on this ship is either the elimination of the tiny Cat H "suites" the Explore has, or use them only for single guests at a reduced rate for them. As it is these little Cat H suites are actually priced higher than the much larger Cat H on the Voyager

We have been told the same thing on Mariner. No big changes for Splendor which is fine for some of us and not so great for others. Fortunately, there are still 3 other Regent ships to sail if the "Explorer class" ships aren't right for you.........,

I am on the NAV right now 1/1/18. I just had a long conversation with a Senior staff member. He confirmed what TC wrote above. The new ship will for all intents and purposes be an "exact" cookie cutter of the Explorer. Is seems that Corporate thinking is they want a level of Brand consistency that is now lacking. The two Clone ships will be the back bone of the fleet.

Given the economy of scale in ship design and engineering costs, the idea that they will be identical makes economic sense, just like all the other larger main stream line now use.

J

Even taking into account the economies of scale (which I guess still apply with a run of two) there are certain 'tweaks' that could be made without too much reengineering. Just goes to prove that CAD can only go so far...sometimes the 3D renderings just plain miss things.

Things like redesignating H cabins for single travelers wouldn't take any engineering at all. Fixing the sightlines in the theater, on the other hand, would. Providing more space by the aft elevators would also need some rethinking. But on the grand scheme of things, considering all of the systems on a ship that size, fixing some of the shortcomings wouldn't be too difficult and it would definitely provide a more enjoyable cruise experience - especially if they could find a way to get even a modest outdoor forward viewing area.

I also just wondered - I'm sure they'll have a huge 'look-at-me' suite (Regent suite) on Splendor (ugh, I still can't type that name and be happy about it) - will they call it the Regent suite? Or Regent 2 suite? Or the Splendor Splendid suite? There are suite names that span the line (Master, Seven Seas, Grand, etc.), and some that are ship specific (Explorer, Mariner, etc.) - wonder what they'll do with the Regent suite? Hmmmm...

Even taking into account the economies of scale (which I guess still apply with a run of two) there are certain 'tweaks' that could be made without too much reengineering. Just goes to prove that CAD can only go so far...sometimes the 3D renderings just plain miss things.

Things like redesignating H cabins for single travelers wouldn't take any engineering at all. Fixing the sightlines in the theater, on the other hand, would. Providing more space by the aft elevators would also need some rethinking. But on the grand scheme of things, considering all of the systems on a ship that size, fixing some of the shortcomings wouldn't be too difficult and it would definitely provide a more enjoyable cruise experience - especially if they could find a way to get even a modest outdoor forward viewing area.

I also just wondered - I'm sure they'll have a huge 'look-at-me' suite (Regent suite) on Splendor (ugh, I still can't type that name and be happy about it) - will they call it the Regent suite? Or Regent 2 suite? Or the Splendor Splendid suite? There are suite names that span the line (Master, Seven Seas, Grand, etc.), and some that are ship specific (Explorer, Mariner, etc.) - wonder what they'll do with the Regent suite? Hmmmm...

Don't think that need to reconfigure the "H" suites - just sell them as single suites. They are a great size for a single. They will be adding space on deck 5 by the aft elevators on the Splendor which is an issue of safety and accommodation for people that use walkers or wheel chairs. They are also moving the Coffee Connection (yes - it will be named Coffee Connection - not Cafe) and reversing the direction the stairs from deck 5 to deck 4. I didn't get any clear statement about whether or not the aft elevator will go to deck 4. I really don't see it because it would be a major design change (the entire CR kitchen is where the elevator would come down to - if it went to deck 4 which it doesn't.

Assume that the Regent suite will be named the same on Splendor. The only suite name change is likely the Explorer suite becoming the Splendor suite.

Bill - try to get her the name. After all, it is just a name. I didn't like the name "Explorer" because of other ships with the same name (I believe that Regent leased a ship to travel to Antartica, etc. that was named Explorer). Anyway, I don't think about the name any more - we jut love the ship.

Jackie - I agree that the H suites don't need reconfigured, just 'repurposed' to single cabins. And I'll try to accept the name - I didn't like Explorer when they announced it, but I didn't dislike it, I just didn't care much for it. Splendor I just plain don't like. My fingers keep trying to type 'Spelndor' and I just do NOT like the name. Probably never will. To me, it sounds pretentious and doesn't have any nautical connotations for me.

Now if they set me up with a free 20-night cruise to experience her 'Spelndor' first-hand, I might change my mind. Are you listening, Regent? :D Who knows, I might actually start calling her 'Splendor' instead of 'Spelndor'.

I'm guessing they'll call it the Splendor Spender Suite. :rolleyes:

We have been on all the Regent ships. We enjoyed our Explorer cruise but missed having an aft lounge to watch the wake and forward outside area for pictures. Therefore, we will only be on Explorer or Slendor, in the future, if the itinerary is really compelling otherwise I’d prefer being on one of the other ships. Just our opinion.

Remember when we were 1st told about the Explorer and they said the "H" cabins was going to be a new size to cater to the single traveler? Regent knows the importance of single travelers and on the new ship would address this.

So what happened?? They just decided to sell these as to small of double cabins and dropped the single idea.

I am surprised that headquarters is saying they will make the new ship the same as Explorer and not take care of some of the glaring problems on Explorer.

For us the Mariner is #1. with Voyager #2. Navigator was at the bottom for us but will be sailing on her October 28th 2018 Montreal to Miami and will see if improves and moves up a notch ahead of Explorer..

I have beaten this poor dead horse until it's flat as a pancake; when Regent announced Explorer, the HUGE announcement was that the lower category cabins were for single travelers. They touted that for ages, and then suddenly that wasn't the case anymore. I remember that, too, Jim.

And I remember it as well. The biggest disappointment about the Explorer and now Splendor is the lack of single suites. I think of how many loyal Regent customers lost their husbands/wives/significant others and are now being penalized for it. While making money is a top priority, caring about human beings should also be a priority. It is beyond comprehension that, if I should pass away, that my DH would have to pay 200% for a suite on Regent.

• 4 months later...
Not on topic but was wondering if anyone has heard that all RSSC Splendor suites are going to be 20% smaller!!! Thanks

According to the Regent website, The Splendor Suite will be from 821 - 918 square feet while the Explorer suite is 821 square feet so the rumor is not correct.

Just curious as to the source of this speculation. And 20% smaller than what? The standard suites on the Mariner are close to 20% smaller than those on Navigator and Voyager, and just a bit tight for us. And if cat H on the Splendor are 20% smaller than those on the Explorer, they would be approaching Carnival territory!

If you go to the rssc.com website and check out the ships, it is easy to compare the suite sizes of any of Regent's ships. From what I can tell, the Splendor will be the same as Explorer in terms of suite size. However, as most people know, the sizes of suites on the Mariner and Voyager differ greatly.

Travelcat,

Yes that appears to be correct on the Regent site. And what appears to me (and you) is the cat H suites on both the Exploter and the Spledor are not really large enough for a couple —- at least not for very long. So for a couple, cat G must be considered a the “base suit” when pricing a cruise on either of these ships. I personally feel that Regent made a huge mistake when these tiny suites (?) were not designated for singles a a much reduced price. Fact is 201 —219 square feet interior space does not equal a lux cruise for a couple.

Travelcat,

Yes that appears to be correct on the Regent site. And what appears to me (and you) is the cat H suites on both the Exploter and the Spledor are not really large enough for a couple —- at least not for very long. So for a couple, cat G must be considered a the “base suit” when pricing a cruise on either of these ships. I personally feel that Regent made a huge mistake when these tiny suites (?) were not designated for singles a a much reduced price. Fact is 201 —219 square feet interior space does not equal a lux cruise for a couple.

Agree with you 100%!

The key thing to sort out is the theatre. At present on the Explorer the theatre is the worst of any Regent ship. The sight lines are poor , the little steps on the gangways dangerous and the side steps simply an accident waiting to happen. The top floor seats are in most cases next to useless (deck 5), with very few seats having a view at all. On our recent cruise we were here for the safety briefing, and could only see the head of the assistant cruise director on the stage, not much value for a dance routine. As a result deck 5 of the theatre is unused wasted space, and could be something else. The other area of waste space is the lead into Pacific rim and the spa. We enjoyed Explorer but would struggle to call it the most luxurious ship with these faults, in ships terms the Voyager and Mariner are better laid out. Can't comment on cabins H, as we were in a concierge D which we thought was great and better than the PH grades we were usually booking, we preferred the layout of the D cabins to the PH on Explorer. Found the Compass Rose restaurant to be noisy, until we went to the back left area for all other seating, much better.

Hopefully the Splendour will see some of these improvements in her design.

From what I've heard, the two areas that you mentioned (theater and area around Pacific Rim and the spa) will be changed a bit (well, the theater will likely be changed a lot). In my opinion, Compass Rose just needs some sound proofing because it definitely is a bit noisy. Could not agree more about the lower suites (F1, F2 and concierge) being quite a bit better than the PH suites.

Thanks for posting, Wes. And I'll second your "alas." (Though I suspect our cruising days will be finished before Splendor is up and running). 'tis a mystery.

In fact, your post is making me re-think (it's definitely "re" since I'd been concerned about this already) the Explorer Norway cruise I've booked for 2018. We'd so like to see that splendid part of the world, but I know we'd miss (just don't know how badly we'd miss) the open deck viewing that we've enjoyed on Mariner and Voyager. I'm almost tempted to change to yet another Alaska itinerary, since we've always loved that area of North America.

Btw, when I was trying to decide which excursions to book in those Norway ports (still going round and round, somehow more difficult than for other cruises), I went over to the Silversea board, since I know they do those itineraries, and I'd remembered that you'd done one. Sure enough, I found your postings and greatly appreciated they were. Had to smile at all the shoe stuff, cause with my frequent heel spurs and never-healed plantar fascia, I have to wear flat shoes and orthotics. But what handsome photos of the two of you in all your fancies!

Poss, We've been looking forward to meeting you on the Norway cruise. I've always enjoyed your posts. Hope you decide not to jump ship, but wish you the best either way. John and Helen

Haven't been on the Explorer so can't comment on whether the design is good,bad or indifferent! but how I wish they would spell Splendour properly if they are going to use that name...

Gerry, had to laugh because if I spell Splendor the way that you do, my Apple computer lets me know that it is a typo and auto corrects the word to the way it Regent spelled it. It never occurred to me that computers sold in different countries are attuned to the spelling of that region. If "Splendour "(not corrected because it is in quotes but is underlined in red because of the spelling) was spelled differently, everyone in the U.S. would be correcting their devices. It is likely the same way for you and others where the "u" is inserted in many words.

I really don't care how it is spelled - just anxious to sail on the ship.

Jackie

Unfortunately, and purely my opinion, Splendor/Splendour is a very poor choice of name for the new Regent ship.

However, I am sure it will be a splendid experience to sail on her ............ especially if they manage to correct some of the annoying design anomalies evident on Explorer.

Does it really matter what you, I or others think of the name? I happen to think that the Mariner and Voyager should have different names because they are constantly being confused with Voyager of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas. It is just a name and will not gain or lose customers for Regent.

As has been discussed many times, the theater will be fixed on Splendor as will some other minor items that were not as originally planned. This too shall pass. Although neither PCH or NCLH built the Mariner, I don't think that the people that designed the regular suites with a tiny bathroom, closet, safe and a bathtub that was dangerous used the design to upset customers (although it did). Some passengers love each of Regent's ships for different reasons. In my opinion, none of them are perfect but they are fine for us.

As has been said, if the Explorer is not to your liking, there are three other ships. I do not like the Navigator (others love it) so, rather than constantly complaining about her (well I do make comments occasionally), I just sail on the other ships. We love Explorer - despite her few (very few) issues and plan on sailing her exclusively in 2019. We all have choices and our choice, at least for now is Explorer-class ships.