Sun Princess doing a world cruise from Yokohama in 2019?

This was posted on a Asia cruise facebook page:

A Japanese leading travel agency will work with Princess Cruises to organise the first-ever world cruise departing from Japan on a non-Japanese cruise ship. Sun Princess will set sail from Yokohama in April 2019 for a 98-night voyage, which will visit 31 ports in 20 countries in total.

So this may explain what the Sun Princess is doing in April 2019?

A Japanese leading travel agency will work with Princess Cruises to organise the first-ever world cruise departing from Japan on a non-Japanese cruise ship. Sun Princess will set sail from Yokohama in April 2019 for a 98-night voyage, which will visit 31 ports in 20 countries in total.

Clever detective work! Sounds like a private charter.

That just makes no sense at all using that old tiny tub when there are two perfect larger Japanese based ships in Diamond and Sapphire Princess more suited for over & around 100 days of cruising. :mad:

If they did use the latter you could sign us up tomorrow.

Thanks, wonder if anyone will be able to book or just Japanse residents, if so they must think they can fill the ship.....sorry wrote David and it's Stu!!

That just makes no sense at all using that old tiny tub when there are two perfect larger Japanese based ships in Diamond and Sapphire Princess more suited for over & around 100 days of cruising. :mad:

If they did use the latter you could sign us up tomorrow.

I agree the bigger ships have more facilities for longer cruises but they also have more cabins that have to be sold. I guess the latter is the reason why the Sun class ships are still used for longer voyages.

I agree the bigger ships have more facilities for longer cruises but they also have more cabins that have to be sold. I guess the latter is the reason why the Sun class ships are still used for longer voyages.

G'day OzkJJ

It is so they can oversell or better yet create a "limited"(availability) to demand for a maximum sold-out benefit to the cruise line.

That old clunker couldn't even complete the Circle-Pacific cruise we were on it had to give San Diego a complete miss, something is always going wrong on cruises over 2-3 weeks duration.

Unfortunately most Aussies and Kiwis will put up with that kayrap but good luck with a ship filled with a majority of Japanese customers that demand quality value for their Yen.

Cheers r.

:cool:

About time Sun Princess and Sea Princess were sold off, they are 20 years old now and these long cruises i.e. 'Worldies' are wearing them out. :halo:

Note: I have cruised on both of the above.

Oh sorry I forgot the other half of my reply :o...

Considering the Population base of Japan and it being the first "World Cruise" to sail from and finish there it would have no trouble filling either of the larger two ships (especially considering both were made in Japan and fitted out to their taste and are a source of pride to their Country).

It is also a very aged & retired population with a high disposable middle to upper-class section perfect for the typical longer than usual Cruise market.

IMHO it would also pull Aussies and NZers that wanted something different than the old "three Sun Class sisters" long cruise monopoly we have had to endure for well over a decade. Not to mention Chinese and Koreans to name a couple more places that wanted a World cruise closer to home base.

Anyway it will never happen while people accept mediocrity, perhaps having it breakdown and spoil a ship load of Japanese saké sippers holiday of a lifetime will finally force Princess to off load it and the Sea to Pong & Orrible.

I wont be holding my breath...

r.

:cool:

There is a reason I have never done a world cruise with Princess cruises and that is because I will never sail on the Sun class ships for a world cruise. They are totally unsuited to long cruises. If it were a Grand class then I would definitely be down to go.

Plus smaller ships have more flexibility in entering smaller ports, which is more often the case with these cruises which visit some lesser frequented ports.

There is a reason I have never done a world cruise with Princess cruises and that is because I will never sail on the Sun class ships for a world cruise. They are totally unsuited to long cruises.

Yet oddly many people who have sailed them on world cruises have enjoyed the experience.

When it's a world cruise, it's more about the destinations (and company) than the ship...

I actually like Sun Princess, and she's a better size for pacific island ports but, yes, she's getting old. Mind you, Crystal's Symphony is about the same age and that is a luxury line.

The difference is the standard and level of maintenance done/not done on older ships.

I don't understand why people put up with unreliable poorly maintained ships.

I agree smaller ships are better for Pacific Island ports and all smaller ports.

Yet oddly many people who have sailed them on world cruises have enjoyed the experience.

When it's a world cruise, it's more about the destinations (and company) than the ship...

They probably have not experienced better. Compared to the Grand class there is less space per passenger on the Sun class and compared to Aurora, Oriana and Arcadia that I have done world cruises on the Sun class are a major step down.

I would only ever consider doing a long cruise on a Sun class ship if it was in a full suite. I have had a full suite on those ships and was on the Sun Princess between Brisbane and Sydney on the 4th October. I don't have anything against them, but just would never book a world cruise on that sort of ship.

Do they have an Elite lounge?

To my knowledge Mic, Sun and Sea Princesses are not operating the Captains Circle Suite/Elite/Platinum lounge. aka PES lounge.:evilsmile: Aussies dudded again. :evilsmile:

Golden and Diamond do, even when operating from OZ.

To my knowledge Mic, Sun and Sea Princesses are not operating the Captains Circle Suite/Elite/Platinum lounge. aka PES lounge.:evilsmile: Aussies dudded again. :evilsmile:

Golden and Diamond do, even when operating from OZ.

That is what I thought and another reason for me to avoid those ships unless the price and itinerary are very special.

That is what I thought and another reason for me to avoid those ships unless the price and itinerary are very special.

Exactly Mic, same here, and nothing jumps out at me, same old, same old.:evilsmile:

There is a reason I have never done a world cruise with Princess cruises and that is because I will never sail on the Sun class ships for a world cruise. They are totally unsuited to long cruises. If it were a Grand class then I would definitely be down to go.

I agree!!

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Forums mobile app

If they reduced the prices and moved to a bigger ship, I would consider it, but come on, $300 per diem per person twin share - inside cabin, come in spinner, OTT.:loudcry:

What if they did the cruise on a more luxurious all inclusive ship, at that price, would you consider it?

What if they did the cruise on a more luxurious all inclusive ship, at that price, would you consider it?

Not really Marion, I think $300 per day pp for an inside cabin on any Princess ship is overpriced.

$150 - $200 max would be a realistic daily rate for an inside. But I can't handle insides, claustrophobic. Oceanview is ok.:halo: