Post Cruise Dizziness

Rocket Girl AZ

So, how long does it typically take to stop having these lightheaded moments after a cruise? I got back from a (short!) cruise on the 21st (8 days ago), and I'm still having moments of feeling like the world is moving.

I remember this from previous cruises, but I don't remember it going on this long! I have never had a moment of seasickness; it just feels strange. Does anyone else experience this? Is this typical, or just me?? :eek:

So, how long does it typically take to stop having these lightheaded moments after a cruise? I got back from a (short!) cruise on the 21st (8 days ago), and I'm still having moments of feeling like the world is moving.

I remember this from previous cruises, but I don't remember it going on this long! I have never had a moment of seasickness; it just feels strange. Does anyone else experience this? Is this typical, or just me?? :eek:

For us, about a week when we first started cruising. Doesn't happen anymore.

It's very typical. For some people. As noted, it can last a day or two, or more.

Typically I get that for about a week after a cruise. But, once, I had it for close to a month.

And, on occasion, I haven't had it.

If it goes on much longer I would see your physician just to be on the safe side.

Keith

Yeah, I will do that. It's not really frightening (yet), just odd. Kind of fun, even, since it reminds me I was cruising recently! ;) I'll give it another few days, but if it hangs around for 2 weeks, I will see someone about it.

A little "Hair of the Dog" solution may be in order: Take another cruise immediately.

Best advice yet!

Thank you all! It's nice to know it's not just me. Cheers!

Only had that happen after my 1st cruise. Took 1/2 a sea sickness pill an it went away within an hour never came back. After many cruises doesn't happen anymore.

I've had the same problem, but I typically also have a problem with seasickness (or motion sickness in genrral). My family doctor told me to continue taking the meclizine I take onboard for 2-3 days after disembarking. It hasn't been a problem since.

Of note, the same drug is used to treat patients with symptoms associated with inner ear disorders . The OP might want to ask her doctor if this might be useful for her.

Never had that feeling and our longest cruise has been 29 days (there are many, many here who have cruised longer).

Maybe it was because as a child we were always cruising on lakes and rivers on smaller boats -- and yes there were waves -- for days at a time. Even got caught in a hurricane in Canada one year on a lake. That could be the reason I have never felt sea sickness or the motion of the ocean. As for DH -- he was also a natural sea person even though he had never been on a boat or a ship until we got married. He was one of the lucky ones.

Last time I had this, it lasted about two months. Started taking over the counter Meclizine a few days before leaving to a few days after getting back, and seems to do the job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband had experience this on our first cruise 40 yrs ago during our honeymoon. He didn't think he would need seasickness meds. After cruise we were sitting in Miami airport and he was rocking. When I asked him to stop rocking, he looked at me and said, "I'm not rocking." I thought Oh Oh. After a week of this, we went to MD and was advised that sometimes (with old passengers, that could last weeks, months or longer). It has taken me 40 yrs to convince him to get back on a cruise which we will do on Dec 7. This time I have every seasickness medicine that could be had by OTC and Rx.

Not necessarily. According to the MdDS fpundation, it can last for years - https://mddsfoundation.org/about/.

DON

Huh. It has a name! Who knew?

If it persists I would speak with your physician about it and if it takes a long time to go away I would discuss with your doctor to talk about preventative options which may be available.

Keith

I will! I don't know if preventative is necessary. It doesn't really bother me, and it's always gone away in the past.

Huh. It has a name! Who knew?

I will! I don't know if preventative is necessary. It doesn't really bother me, and it's always gone away in the past.

I get it sometimes. What I just can't figure is that I do not get it if I am on land in a port off the ship but I do get it after I get home. Doesn't last long for me.

DON

I had this for the first time after my 6th cruise this summer. Never felt a thing on board! Never got seasick or motion sick in my life.

I had injured my eye previously so wasn't sure if it was that but I compared it to walking on a mattress and I got headaches too.

It went after a month or so. I think Mal de debarquement takes on many forms.