Jewel questions and advice

tucho

Just booked the Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan. Never been on the Jewel plus, hadn’t cruise with RCI since the 90’s. My Carnival Fascination cruise got canceled FEMA took the ship for relief works after hurricane Maria. The Jewel had a great rate so we booked. My questions, besides the main show room do they have a piano bar, karaoke, or comedy club. I preferred the early seating for dinner, but was not available, with the anytime dining, when is a good time for not a long wait? Anything special about RCI that would differ from Carnival. Thanks in advance for answers and advice.:)

Schooner Bar serves as the piano bar. Karaoke is normally held in the Safari Club Lounge, aft. No dedicated comedy club, but there are usually one or two shows in the main theater with comedians. 6pm is probably a good time for dining to catch shows.

Just booked the Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan. Never been on the Jewel plus, hadn’t cruise with RCI since the 90’s. My Carnival Fascination cruise got canceled FEMA took the ship for relief works after hurricane Maria. The Jewel had a great rate so we booked. My questions, besides the main show room do they have a piano bar, karaoke, or comedy club. I preferred the early seating for dinner, but was not available, with the anytime dining, when is a good time for not a long wait? Anything special about RCI that would differ from Carnival. Thanks in advance for answers and advice.:)

The Jewel is a very elegant ship with many windows and walls of windows for great views of the sea.

Try out the self-leveling pool tables.

:)

You've selected a great ship to return to cruising with RC.

Will be on board again next month. Love the Jewel and her three sisters!

One of my favorite things about Radiance class is the outside dining area behind the Windjammer. Can carry plates to enjoy the open sea air to tables back there, and there is another coffee/beverage station back there as well.

Just watch out for talented seagulls while in port. ;p

Just booked the Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan

What week did you book? We will be glad to point you to your roll call where there will be lots of information and possibly to the ALL THINGS JEWEL OF THE SEAS thread.

Anything special about RCI that would differ from Carnival. Thanks in advance for answers and advice.:)

We had sailed a few Carnival cruises before the Jewel last year. We noticed a big difference and will not go back!

The RC ships are so very much prettier. You will love the Jewel!

The Windjammer food is much more varied and much better (lamb, beef brisket, fresh crepes, good desserts...). Even nicer dishes, not so much like the Carnival cafeteria style.

We didn’t care for the MDR food on either ship. No guys burgers or good pizza on RC though. More pay options on RC.

Cabins are better designed on RC, lots of good storage in even the smallest cabin and slightly better decor.

In most regards, feels like a more upscale experience. You won’t be disappointed.

You should be able to go online and set dinner reservations with the my time dining or whatever they call it. We chose 6 p.m. for all the days. :) When we went last January, we did something like 6 (5:45 maybe? I can't remember exactly) and it was a good time to eat.

We sailed the Jewel a bit over a month ago on a TA and loved her.As has been said, just so many windows if you want to sit inside and so many deck chairs all over the ship if you like outside. We usually love to sit on the Promenade deck (deck 5) and we never had a problem with lounge chairs or regular chairs.

There was daily Karaoke in the Safari Lounge, the Schooner lounge is where they have all sorts of stud including the piano bar and the singer was excellent. There is NO Comedy Club as they have on Carnival.

As for Anytime Dining, you are seated in the upstairs part of the MDR. We usually eat about 6:45 or so and never had a problem getting seated ASAP. We always opted to share a table and that helps a lot to be seated quickly.

We weren't thrilled by the shows on the Jewel and the food was OK but not super. We have sailed Carnival many times and found their food to be better overall. And RCI doesn't come close to Carnivals Warm Melting Cake. YUM.

The Jewel is a great ship, easy to navigate and we have a ball on her.

Cheer

Len

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on JOTS 11/26 to 12/3. Had anytime dining 1st night at 8:15 & found it to work great for us so we stuck with it. Shows in Coral Theater began at 7 & were over in time for us to head to the MDR. Caught 3 movies in the Cinema that started at 6. They ended well before 8:15, so we'd catch a cup of coffee from Latitudes and chill before heading to the MDR. If we had early dining, I know I would be watching the time & stressing about not getting to a show by the time it began. Shows/movies first, then dinner worked great for us!

Just off Jewell for the Dec. 17th sailing and overall, one of best experiences ever. Last cruise was Allure in 2016 and loved her huge number of dining and bar options, talent variety and level of professionalism. Moving down to a comparatively small ship like Jewell was great. Lovely ship, very easy to get around and so compact yet never felt crowded. Getting off in the ports was exceptionally quick and hassle free. As mentioned, lot of great seating and views located all around the ship.

Stateroom (9218) was great with the best cabin steward we have ever had. Stateroom in good shape although we saw nicer couches along Highway 1 in the keys after Hurricane Irma.

All crew was friendly and worked very hard to guarantee our enjoyment. Complaints include dining room food (lobster and lobster bisque are very good however) Twice in Chops and once in Giovanni's and both just excellent. Windjammer good but usual cluster of humanity. Very diverse passenger groups.

Sadly, the entertainment is, at least to us, terrible except for early evening classical acoustic guitarist in centrum as well as the Jewell orchestra performing there occasionally with thankfully no one singing along. The four-piece band in the centrum wouldn't make it in the Ramada, but the did play music that may be entertaining to some as long as you make regular visits to see Pietro at the Centrum bar.

The ports were nothing short of spectacular as we simply picked our own beach and took a taxi. Just one day at sea was perfect for us and would strongly consider going again but may trying Adventure just for the change and hoped upgrade in entertainment. Questions welcome and regardless of the shortcomings mentioned above, still perhaps our favorite cruise out of ten total.

We were on the Jewel of the Seas in October in the Mediterranean- our 14th cruise with RCI. The ship was beautiful with plenty of entertainment venues throughout the ship. We also did my time dining and never had to wait for a table and we only wanted a table for two each night. You can never go wrong with a Royal Caribbean ship!