Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy?

Kingofcool1947

Oh dear God..........I tried Vegemite exactly ONE time.....it was HORRIBLE. No thanks!! :D
In the UK they say about Marmite,you either love it or hate it.Marmite and cream cheese on toast,yummie.

Oh dear God..........I tried Vegemite exactly ONE time.....it was HORRIBLE. No thanks!! :D

But better for you than sugar-laden spreads ;p and it helps when you have over-indulged, it's a great stomach settler.

But it just goes to show that you can train kids to like umami flavours, not just sweet flavours. Many Aussie & Kiwi kids grew up on Vegemite.

But better for you than sugar-laden spreads ;p and it helps when you have over-indulged, it's a great stomach settler.

But it just goes to show that you can train kids to like umami flavours, not just sweet flavours. Many Aussie & Kiwi kids grew up on Vegemite.

It's funny (when you think about it)...My folks were teenagers during the Depression - but fortunately, both of their parents were fairly well established (in a sense). My Father's parents were successful dairy farmers and my Mother's parents (Father) was a Captain on the Fire Department.

One of my Dad's favorite dishes was to take a glass of milk, put 6-7 pats of butter in it - then put bread on top of that and eat it. I asked him one day if he knew that "combination" would kill him and he answered me by saying -" Son, there were many times during the Depression that this was all we had to eat, and we were grateful to have it."

Then he said something that I have never forgotten to this day: "Son, SOMETHING will kill every human, it's part of living. When I die, I will go with a full stomach". He lived to be 92.

I now live by that mantra.....something will kill us all.....might as well be good food!!!! :D

It's funny (when you think about it)...My folks were teenagers during the Depression - but fortunately, both of their parents were fairly well established (in a sense). My Father's parents were successful dairy farmers and my Mother's parents (Father) was a Captain on the Fire Department.

One of my Dad's favorite dishes was to take a glass of milk, put 6-7 pats of butter in it - then put bread on top of that and eat it. I asked him one day if he knew that "combination" would kill him and he answered me by saying -" Son, there were many times during the Depression that this was all we had to eat, and we were grateful to have it."

Then he said something that I have never forgotten to this day: "Son, SOMETHING will kill every human, it's part of living. When I die, I will go with a full stomach". He lived to be 92.

I now live by that mantra.....something will kill us all.....might as well be good food!!!! :D

I agree that 'something sometime will kill you', but that doesn't mean I am going to invite death to come early either. A treat or an indulgence every now and again is fine but all the time will cut your life short. Everything in moderation, is my mantra.:halo:

If you do not know when death is coming how would you know if it is early? When your time comes your done no matter what. I ntend to enjoy life until then and not worry about what others say. They have no quantitative proof they are right.

I am from the South... And I know country steak and gravy.

Well, especially good Southern fried steak and gravy. (Cracker Barrel isn't quite it!!!)

Can't imagine them doing a good version of any American Country Comfort Food onboard!!!!

I find that Cracker Barrel has the best CFS on any chain style restaurant we have ever been in. I like it, but I have had much better in many small family run restaurants.

The Gravy is NOT to cover up the taste of the steak, but rather to enhance it. An old saying aptly applies to this thread...

"For those who know - no explanation is necessary. For those who do not - none will suffice"

In short - if you didn't grow up in the South - You probably wouldn't get it. As to the idea of "drowning" grits in butter - SOMETHING will kill us all......what better way to go out than on a full stomach? :D

True that I did not grow up in the south but now live in the southwest. Not being a aficionado of flour based toppings, I have never understood drowning good tasting food in a flour based sauce. I still get a laugh out of my friend who insists he loves grits but then asks for additional butter. Coming from corn country, I love corn but there should be a law against grinding it up into a pile of dust. :D

I absolutely agree, its way too bland, Marmite is so much better...........................

Vegemite is made from vegetable extract and Marmite from Beef extract, amongst other things, all loaded with salt though.:hearteyes:

Yes, a lot of Aussie kids are 'Happy little Vegemites.' Vegemite is now owned by Bega Cheese, couple of hours down the highway from me.:cool:

I find that Cracker Barrel has the best CFS on any chain style restaurant we have ever been in. I like it, but I have had much better in many small family run restaurants.

Cracker Barrel is a brand of cheese over here, and nice too, premium aged cheese. We buy it regularly from the supermarket.:*

Mums beef and vegetable soup

A roast with all the trimmings

Lamingtons

Pavlova

Baked beans on toast (must bring back some childhood memories I guess)

BBQ sausage sandwich

Meat Pie

How did I know you would include 'Meat Pie, Mr Gut?' :hearteyes: You missed sausage roll and pasty and apple turnover with fresh cream !!!!:')

If you do not know when death is coming how would you know if it is early? When your time comes your done no matter what. I ntend to enjoy life until then and not worry about what others say. They have no quantitative proof they are right.

Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die. I agree with you Potstech. I hear from the vegetarians that eating meat is killing me. My answer back to them is that vegetarians die too. :halo:

So Carnival's is better than? Princesses is certainly better than Royal's, X's and NCL's.

I don't know what's better than. Sabitinis and Alfredos make a wonderful pizza on Princess, but they are not on every ship. DH and I was impressed with Alfredos on I believe it was The Royal Princess. The pizza served outside near the pool isn't pizza IMHO.

The best CFS I’ve had was in Dels Restaurant Tucumcari NM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die. I agree with you Potstech. I hear from the vegetarians that eating meat is killing me. My answer back to them is that vegetarians die too. :halo:

Nature gave us incisors for a reason.:D

I don't know what's better than. Sabitinis and Alfredos make a wonderful pizza on Princess, but they are not on every ship. DH and I was impressed with Alfredos on I believe it was The Royal Princess. The pizza served outside near the pool isn't pizza IMHO.
Okay, I would agree with that. Food is a subjective thing.

In any case, while I said Princess Pizza was the best on any cruise line I have been on, that in no way means it was the best pizza anywhere.

Eat what you like, including loads of meat, because no body gets out of this world alive.:p

I agree that 'something sometime will kill you', but that doesn't mean I am going to invite death to come early either. A treat or an indulgence every now and again is fine but all the time will cut your life short. Everything in moderation, is my mantra.:halo:

That's the other thing my dear old Dad used to say - It is impossible to "hurry" death. It comes when it is supposed to. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life - my Father smoked until the day he died - 2 packs of Chesterfields a day.

I probably should have died three or four times in Viet Nam - didn't happen. One of my best friends from College died in a minor fender bender - neck snapped in a 5 mile an hour bump from behind while another friend (from High School) flipped a Ford Mustang 8 times - the car was obliterated - and he walked away with only a few minor scratches - go figure.

The point? Don't over indulge - enjoy life and welcome the end when it comes.....;p :cool: :D

Okay, I would agree with that. Food is a subjective thing.

In any case, while I said Princess Pizza was the best on any cruise line I have been on, that in no way means it was the best pizza anywhere.

:D

I haven't had Pizza on a cruise (as of yet) but will in August 2018. I am 6'3" and I weigh 195 lbs. May God have mercy on Princess if the pizza is good!

My DW tells me that I should consider dropping 10-15 pounds for the cruise - the lady doth make sense!!! :D