Disappointed with Myself & Carnival

Reenie75

So you moved from one cruise date to another and didn't get charged a $50 per person penalty?

No no, I am talking about the second half of posters question asking about on their current reservation on same ship going from interior to balcony and not being charged a penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So originally I booked an early saver, only to realize the wrong week in April 2018 on the Liberty. A week later after booking I changed it to the following next week (1 week ��) I was explained about the Early Saver policy and charged $100 admin charges. I was so pissed off with myself. :mad:

Today, I question Carnival if by chance, if I upgraded myself to inside to balcony (which is double the cost) if they could take the admin charges off? They won't. It shocks me abit that they are so sticky with their policy especially when I'm thinking of spending more money on the ship? I know I made the mistake first but paying for an upgrade you can't even lift the admin charges? It's sad I haven' sailed with Carnival yet and it leaves me on a sour note on a vacation I haven't even started on!

NEVER book ER.

No no, I am talking about the second half of posters question asking about on their current reservation on same ship going from interior to balcony and not being charged a penalty.

I think you may be misunderstanding their post. Either that or I am. Here's what I think they are saying.

Part one - they had to change dates and incurred the $50 pp change fee. They rebooked to the desired date.

Part two - Some time after they were booked on their new correct cruise, they wanted to upgrade from their current cabin to a balcony and asked since they would be paying more money if they could retroactively credit the penalties. They were told no.

At least that's my understanding in what they meant.

You can always upgrade with no penalty with ES.

I think you may be misunderstanding their post. Either that or I am. Here's what I think they are saying.

Part one - they had to change dates and incurred the $50 pp change fee. They rebooked to the desired date.

Part two - Some time after they were booked on their new correct cruise, they wanted to upgrade from their current cabin to a balcony and asked since they would be paying more money if they could retroactively credit the penalties. They were told no.

I could be than:/

I agree with you. This is exactly how I read the post also.

Yeah, I am not interested in booking ES either. Besides, for the Horizon that I have booked it is $20 more per person from the ES to the past guest rate, and I have no penalties up until final payment. No way is it worth giving that up for $20.

Hang in there, maybe you will get an upgrade offer which doesn't carry a penalty.....

The penalty has nothing to do with the upgrade. The penalty was for changing cruises and has already been paid. The OP wanted to upgrade and have the penalty forgiven as part of the upgrade (get the upgrade at a reduced price) because she was spending more money which isn't going to happen.

Absolutely spot on. People are not comprehending the story the OP wrote.

Yeah, I am not interested in booking ES either. Besides, for the Horizon that I have booked it is $20 more per person from the ES to the past guest rate, and I have no penalties up until final payment. No way is it worth giving that up for $20.

The spa balcony I booked on Horizon's deck 11 had a fare of $1644 pp ES. Since I booked, I have subhmitted numerous price protection forms and now have a rate of $1330pp, or about $630 in fare savings and OBC.

The spa balconies on deck 11 sold out about a month ago, so I stopped looking for fare drops. But $630 is a nice reduction.

The spa balcony I booked on Horizon's deck 11 had a fare of $1644 pp ES. Since I booked, I have subhmitted numerous price protection forms and now have a rate of $1330pp, or about $630 in fare savings and OBC.

The spa balconies on deck 11 sold out about a month ago, so I stopped looking for fare drops. But $630 is a nice reduction.

Were the price reductions before or after final payment was due?

Edited by firemanbobswife

I get it, my mistake. I just find it odd I'm willing to pay for upgrade on the same cruise that is double the cost. They are making more money. Yes I agree it's their business and their rules. I didn' cancel tho or asked for a refund. I just know now not to rebook. Live and learn and I won' be upgrading.

They would not make more money they were to allow you to upgrade and waive the fees. They will still get the money for the cabin you would upgrade to from someone else.

I get it. I didn't even know what I booked rate wise and wanted to change to a much more expensive cruise that had plenty of space and they wouldn't allow it. I was like really? You are going to get all my vacation money instead of just a quarter of it and you won't allow the change? It definitely turned me off to Carnival. I haven't even gone yet and I doubt I will use them again. And it was my fault, I get that. So that makes me even more frustrated!

I know it seems unfair but rules are rules. If you need a more flexible fare, they are available for a premium. Also, think of it this way. Early saver is probably one of their most popular fares. If everyone who booked under early saver could change their reservations at any time without penalty, they would never know how many will be sailing, what rooms to promote elsewhere, etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Right, no penalties....BUT also NO rate reductions after final payment, whereas with ES there can be BIG rate reductions AFTER final payment yielding far more than your $20 booking difference. We have saved lots of $$ booking ES.....if you know that is the date for sure (but then cruise insurance is the answer to that one too!!)

Right, no penalties....BUT also NO rate reductions after final payment, whereas with ES there can be BIG rate reductions AFTER final payment yielding far more than your $20 booking difference. We have saved lots of $$ booking ES.....if you know that is the date for sure (but then cruise insurance is the answer to that one too!!)

That used to be very true a few years ago. It wasn’t uncommon to get drops of a hundred dollars or more. Now it seems they are fewer and far between. They want people to book early and typically give the best deals then. It still can happen, but I can’t recall the last time I got or would have gotten anything more than a couple bucks within the past few years. Some of it could have to do with booking high demand cabins such as Havana on Vista, but other than that I normally stay in an inside and an occasional OV. Congrats to those that are able to reap some OBC with ES, though.

I certainly have benefitted from ES in the past, but it doesn’t seem like it’s as good of deal anymore. That’s why they try and lock you in to ES with the special rates like reduced deposits, for booking on or shortly after a cruise, etc. If they planned on giving huge price drops after final payment, it wouldn’t make sense to have a large group poised to take advantage of it. The fees and penalties they take in due to ES must be enormous and that’s the real motivation for them to lock you in to ES. If they thought they would be losing money, they wouldn’t do it.

That being said, whatever rate you choose, make sure you are clear on the benefits and limits of the one you book with.

Yeah that is great, but since your sail date is 5+ months away, even those without ES could get those price reductions, and have the money returned as cash instead of OBC. The only reductions you get that others will not, is drops after final payment.

Yeah but... like I did on the last two sailings.. book the best refundable rate, and then right before final payment switch to ES if there is a better rate, similar location, etc., which there was on both.... Splendor $120 p/p cheaper, and Paradise $70 p/p cheaper. This one I have a feeling will be different because of how new it is, but then again I am thinking about switching to the Breeze anyway.

I'm not a cruise rookie but I was a carnival rookie when I booked the early saver last winter. The cruise planner I called to book with didn't explain the differences and so we booked the cheapest rate. Sometimes I have a hard time with what is what on the carnival website.

We ended up eating $200 because we had to change cruises twice due to scheduling conflicts. I was more upset with myself and a little with the PCC but I was determined to not be bitter and to enjoy my cruise anyway. I came back from my first Carnival cruise in October and have booked another cruise for next year. This time I booked past guest rate $40 difference in price between early saver. I won't book another early saver, price never went down. I still had a great cruise but lesson learned.

So originally I booked an early saver, only to realize the wrong week in April 2018 on the Liberty. A week later after booking I changed it to the following next week (1 week ��) I was explained about the Early Saver policy and charged $100 admin charges. I was so pissed off with myself. :mad:

Today, I question Carnival if by chance, if I upgraded myself to inside to balcony (which is double the cost) if they could take the admin charges off? They won't. It shocks me abit that they are so sticky with their policy especially when I'm thinking of spending more money on the ship? I know I made the mistake first but paying for an upgrade you can't even lift the admin charges? It's sad I haven' sailed with Carnival yet and it leaves me on a sour note on a vacation I haven't even started on!

Reenie, you're asking the wrong question. The agents likely have little to no flexibility with the cancellation fee. Try asking for onboard credit with your upgrade and see if that makes a difference. They might have more flexibility to work with OBC. And with OBC they're assured you'll spend the money with them.

Do not beat yourself up too bad. We have all been there and although not on cruises, I have made the same types of errors. I have the same types of issues with my job from time to time, so I have learned that the early saver just won't work for me. Have a great time!

J

I really think this comes down to supply and demand. Businesses make exceptions to policy all the time, but right now the ships are sailing full in most cases, demand is high. They know they will likely sell that cabin that you want to upgrade too, so really there isn’t an advantage for them. If cabins were not selling out so easily, they may be more willing to make exceptions and give a little, but really from the business standpoint it doesn’t make a lot of sense right now.

Carnival's rate structures SUCK. I remember not understanding what the ES rate meant until I found CC and members here spelled it out. ES benefits Carnival and it's a rate I never book. I take that back....I held my nose and booked it for my Mexican Riviera cruise because even the military rate had ES terms and conditions attached to it.

We used to book ES and never had a problem till 2017 cruise. We had to cancel a 14-day cruise & re-book 2 7-days due to our Delta companion fare not allowing us to fly into Tampa & home from Baltimore. It had to be RT from same airport. We now just book Military. I do remember seeing the Military ES during the month of Nov. that gave you OBC. I'll stick to regular Military rate.

I know it seems unfair but rules are rules. If you need a more flexible fare, they are available for a premium. Also, think of it this way. Early saver is probably one of their most popular fares. If everyone who booked under early saver could change their reservations at any time without penalty, they would never know how many will be sailing, what rooms to promote elsewhere, etc etc.

Early Saver started a few years ago after the economy started sinking. People were booking cruises and cancelling them when they found they didn't have the money to pay the balance. Carnival was tired of all the cancellations. Then they'd have to reduce prices to fill the ships. At least, that's my opinion.

And my last several cruises, there has not been a price drop after final payment.

Edited by Sparky2
Additional info.