Flying with Southwest

tmaas21

We did not experience fast boarding at all. People were slow to try and find the “best” seat. Even the flight attendants were telling people to just take a seat. I have a Delta gold card so we check bags for free and so can up to nine people traveling with me.

That is because first on want first off so they sit in front and block the aisle put their luggage above. .. So all these people standing in the aisle ways block the rest from boarding. I prefer to select my seat at booking than feel like a heard of cattle.

I find Delta to very close in price and actually cheaper sometimes like going to Atlanta where I fly to allot. It is cheaper mainly for families because of checking luggage for free, for those that carry on it is not much cheaper if cheaper at all.

Delta is also adding all those new air bus planes with room and privacy and southwest is talking about putting the seats closer together. Any closer I cannot fly on them being over 6' tall..

Only reason I fly southwest is their air-miles are great and through my charge I have been flying twice a year for free.

Again, with Southwest, unless it's the originating leg for that aircraft on that day, there may be any number of people staying on from the prior flight leg. That can limit the number and location of available seats, even for A group. Is it likely that you'd find seats together? Probably, but you certainly can't count on it.

We have had that a few times.. We fly Milwaukee to Atlanta allot and vise versa one way the flight comes from Denver or Las Vegas and a couple times the planes was pretty full.

Edited by shred5

My SO arrived 4 hrs early to the airport and payed for early bird. They made her run through the airport (she just had knee surgery too) because they over booked the plane because the person before her was going to get her seat and would not let her check in at check in.

This makes absolutely no sense. 4 hours early, what does rushing through the airport have to do with anything?

She had early bird we always do when we fly southwest which we do several times a year.

She can’t have had EB on that flight. If she had had it she would have been checked in. If she had changed her flight after Booking she might have lost the EN previously purchased; from what I understand you need to call to port it over if you’ve made a change.

We did not experience fast boarding at all. People were slow to try and find the “best” seat. Even the flight attendants were telling people to just take a seat. I have a Delta gold card so we check bags for free and so can up to nine people traveling with me.

People are people and anything can happen. But statistically SW’s boarding is faster in general. That’s why they use it. They’ve studied it and went with it being this way.

Plus with SWA, if the price of your flight goes down, they will give you the difference in credit, good for a future flight.

To have complete info, so does Alaska. And actually everyone does that, but the Alaska Air and SW difference is that they don’t charge fees to do it.

:halo:

Well they told her she had not checked in so they were giving away her spot because the plane was overbooked. . I was there with her and no reason to lie.

.....When we went to check in the lady at the counter said the plane was over booked and she need to run to get to the terminal since they just sent the person up which was taking her spot.

No one is saying you’re lying, but at least one person at that checkin counter was terribly confused.

If she had EB, she was checked in. If she wasn’t checked in, that meant she didn’t have EB. And 4 hours before a flight none of it makes sense anyway. I’m fairly certain you can checkin 4 hours out. But not at the desk. She could have pulled out her phone at that point and done it then.

What was her experience at the gate? Was any mention made of this person who had gotten to the counter 4 hours and a few minutes prior who had been sent through to take her spot?

You can wait at any uncrowded gate. They're not all full all the time

So true.

This makes absolutely no sense. 4 hours early, what does rushing through the airport have to do with anything?

She can’t have had EB on that flight. If she had had it she would have been checked in. If she had changed her flight after Booking she might have lost the EN previously purchased; from what I understand you need to call to port it over if you’ve made a change.

People are people and anything can happen. But statistically SW’s boarding is faster in general. That’s why they use it. They’ve studied it and went with it being this way.

To have complete info, so does Alaska. And actually everyone does that, but the Alaska Air and SW difference is that they don’t charge fees to do it.

No one is saying you’re lying, but at least one person at that checkin counter was terribly confused.

If she had EB, she was checked in. If she wasn’t checked in, that meant she didn’t have EB. And 4 hours before a flight none of it makes sense anyway. I’m fairly certain you can checkin 4 hours out. But not at the desk. She could have pulled out her phone at that point and done it then.

What was her experience at the gate? Was any mention made of this person who had gotten to the counter 4 hours and a few minutes prior who had been sent through to take her spot?

So true.

I do not know what to tell you because it is what happened.

Edited by shred5

Southwest and Jet Blue have more legroom than Delta, American and United in economy class. Southwest is 31 but has been increasing to 32. Delta, American and United are 30.

http://time.com/money/4819857/airlines-best-seats-most-legroom-economy/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhat misleading....those are minimums. So yes, while Delta does have some seats with a 30” pitch, it is not the standard. Additionally, they have installed seats with slimmer seat backs, which ends up giving you more space because there is less padding taking up room. To each their own, of course. We’re Delta flyers because they fly where we need to go, and we fly in first, something SW doesn’t have.

To the topic at hand, on the rare occasion someone else is paying for the ticket and we are on SW, we do early bird. Makes life easy, and we find the fee worth it for the lack of hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Somewhat misleading....those are minimums. So yes, while Delta does have some seats with a 30” pitch, it is not the standard. Additionally, they have installed seats with slimmer seat backs, which ends up giving you more space because there is less padding taking up room. To each their own, of course. We’re Delta flyers because they fly where we need to go, and we fly in first, something SW doesn’t have.

To the topic at hand, on the rare occasion someone else is paying for the ticket and we are on SW, we do early bird. Makes life easy, and we find the fee worth it for the lack of hassle.

I have not been on Delta the last year since they have not had flights where I need to go but I have been on American, United, Jet Blue and Southwest and the seat pitch was 30 on American and United. UGH. Last week I took Jet Blue to San Juan and Southwest for the return. Jet Blue was 34 on my flight down and Southwest was 32. Their new 32 pitch seats on the SW flight. What a relief. The difference was noticable for a 6 ft me. I had originally booked United but thankfully they cancelled my flights and had no nonstop alternatives from here to San Juan. The two separate one ways on different airlines actually cost less than the United flights I had booked origionally. I don't book first class on flights of less than four hours. The value proposition is not there. I did do Early Bird on the Southwest flight because the hassle of checking in while on a ship is not worth it. So I ended up in the A group for $15. I think the Early Bird is a no brainer from a cruise. When not on a cruise I have skipped the Early Bird and checking in 24 hours before always had a good spot in the B group.

Impossible. If she was earlybird, she didn't have to see a single SW person until she got in line and boarded

I agree not possible. The first SW person I saw was at Bag Drop last week. All they did was take my bag. I had my boarding pass on my phone which I didn't have until 6:00 am when the ship arrived in San Juan and I had cell service. Since I had Early Bird I was already checked in and had A 42 position.

My family loves Southwest. If you haven't flown recently the new planes are very nice. I feel the seats are much wider than the Delta ones we've flown recently. The overhead bins are shaped in a way that you do not feel cramped, while getting in and out of the row.

And because 2 bags are checked free, not so many passengers are trying to cram the bins with huge suitcases. That alone makes boarding so much easier and faster.

I also think their website is so much easier than most other airlines to find the best prices and times.

But each to their own. You want to pick your seats, fly someone else. Leaves more choices for us that like Southwest.

Impossible. If she was earlybird, she didn't have to see a single SW person until she got in line and boarded

Wrong you cannot get through security without a boarding pass and they can only be printed out 24 hrs in advance.

I do not remember how they got her through security without a boarding pass.

She never checked in she was trying to do it at the counter and figured she had enough time being 4 hrs. early.

Even still without earlybird it should not happen to anyone. You book early enough your seat should be guaranteed on that plane.

I think the whole earlybird is garbage, so you think it is ok for someone to book 6 month in advanced and be bumped because some with earlybird books a week before? no one should be bumped ever. Standby is one thing bumping is another.

Even though I doubt this is what happened the plane comes from somewhere else first and it could be possible the plane was pretty full and everyone getting on in Milwaukee had early bird.

Edited by shred5

I take it you’ve never had your flight’s equipment changed or flight time changed, causing a total shuffle of pre-chosen seats?

While I rarely fly SW now, I started flying them about 20 years ago when the legacies kept changing my pre-chosen seat!

Happened last week coming home from Dallas. I fly a lot and have the Delta AMEX. I cant remember the last time I paid for a bag

LOVE southwest! 2 Free checked bags, free changes, can get credit back for a drop in price or a cancelled flight.

I don't care about the assigned seat thing. While it's nice to sit by your travel companions, it does not make my experience any better or worse to be separated. Middle seats are ALWAYS the last seats left, and if you want to sit next to a friend/family member, one of you has to take a middle anyway.

I travel all the time (over 30 times a year), and have only been separated from my travel companion 1 time.

Having an assigned seat has never been worth losing all the unique benefits I get from Southwest instead.

I check in at home, put my plane ticket in my digital wallet (an app on your phone so you don't need to print anything). If you're not checking bags, you just go right to the gate. And if you are checking bags, you go to a kiosk, print your bag tag, drop it off at the counter and you're on your way. Southwest is so easy, and so customer friendly, I will even travel with them if the ticket price is higher simply for the flexibility in changing my flight time or days.

Wrong you cannot get through security without a boarding pass and they can only be printed out 24 hrs in advance.

She never checked in she was trying to do it at the counter and figured she had enough time being 4 hrs. early.

Even still without earlybird it should not happen to anyone. You book early enough your seat should be guaranteed on that plane.

I think the whole earlybird is garbage, so you think it is ok for someone to book 6 month in advanced and be bumped because some with earlybird books a week before? no one should be bumped ever. Standby is one thing bumping is another.

Even though I doubt this is what happened the plane comes from somewhere else first and it could be possible the plane was pretty full and everyone getting on in Milwaukee had early bird.

I never said she didn't need a boarding pass to get through security

Again, she does not have to ck in with Early BirdI don't think so.

No one gets bumped 4 hrs ahead

Southwest is BY FAR my airline of choice. No change fees, no baggage fees, AND credit for price drops? No brainer.

I always pay for Early Bird check-in. At $30 (round trip), the convenience is absolutely worth it to me. On my last business trip, I was assigned B16 (first person after “Business Select”) both ways. That guaranteed me a widow seat on an exit row. Score! I may be 5’1”, but I appreciate the extra space.

One of the tv news magazines - Dateline, maybe? - did a story a while back that proved that Southwest’s loading procedure is the most efficient one in the airline industry. And the most important facet of the “two free checked bags” policy isn’t the money saved - it’s the time/frustration saved because your fellow passengers aren’t trying to cram “carry-ons” that ARE NOT carryon size into the overhead bins just to save $25 each way.

Dh flies SW many times for business travel since they don't charge to change a flight. I am not a fan of not knowing which seat I will be in, but I do like that SW has roomier seats than other carriers. I have also seen SW flight attendants tell people that they cannot save seats especially the exit rows. We flew American business class to FLL last month and that was very nice, but we used miles to fly free. We flew SW home and their terminal in FLL is way too small for the number of passengers. We also used Luggage Valet and Royal checked us in and dh had A8 and I had A43.

Is there any airline that has a nice waiting area at Ft. Lauderdale? It is a very convenient airport to use when sailing from Ft. Lauderdale but the waiting areas are usually packed with people.

Twice we have left the ship and arrived at FLL way too early to check our bags and go to the gate. We found the best waiting area is in the baggage claim area. There are lots of seats and nobody using them.

I've been on plenty of SW flights and this has never happened, Especially for A through at least B30 or so

I don't fly Southwest much, but I've seen it happen.

Southwest and Jet Blue have more legroom than Delta, American and United in economy class. Southwest is 31 but has been increasing to 32. Delta, American and United are 30.

http://time.com/money/4819857/airlines-best-seats-most-legroom-economy/

I question this article. They give ONE measurement of seat pitch for each airline listed, when in actuality if often varies from aircraft to aircraft, depending on aircraft model. Check short haul economy flights on Seat Guru:

https://www.seatguru.com/

You can wait at any uncrowded gate. They're not all full all the time

True, but even then it can be a challenge. Most gates have no where near enough seating for all the pax who are going to board, and the further away from your gate that you go, the less likely you are to hear important boarding announcments (delay, gate change, overbooked and need volunteers, etc.)

Unless she needed to check a bag.

I have not been on Delta the last year since they have not had flights where I need to go but I have been on American, United, Jet Blue and Southwest and the seat pitch was 30 on American and United.

Do you take a tape measure on every flight to confirm? LOL

My family loves Southwest. If you haven't flown recently the new planes are very nice. I feel the seats are much wider than the Delta ones we've flown recently.

According to Seat Guru, Southwest's seats are 17" wide. Delta's vary, but most are between 17.2" and 18.1" wide. https://www.seatguru.com/

She couldn't have done so.

Having an assigned seat has never been worth losing all the unique benefits I get from Southwest instead.

I check in at home, put my plane ticket in my digital wallet (an app on your phone so you don't need to print anything). If you're not checking bags, you just go right to the gate. And if you are checking bags, you go to a kiosk, print your bag tag, drop it off at the counter and you're on your way.

I'm sure you realize you can do those things with most other airlines too, not just Southwest. (Not sure about printing the bag tag at the kiosk, though you can check in that way; I always go to the counter rep so that my bag gets the priority tag)