Life Vest drag to Muster is over!!

Sanibel*Gal

Just off the Crown Princess & when we met our room steward, he told us the good news! You no longer take your life vest to Muster & will be fleet wide soon.

[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

s

Great news.:D

I got sick and tired of tripping over the waistbelts idiot PAXS let dangle after the drill, instead of properly cinching them up to the life vests. Those PAXS can’t even follow simple instructions anyway. ;p I’ve seen some PAXS try to put their life jacket on backwards....even after witnessing the demonstration, :eek: It’s not rocket science.

God help them if there was ever an event on Princess like the one with Costa Concordia.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

s

Great news.:D

I got sick and tired of tripping over the waistbelts idiot PAXS let dangle after the drill, instead of properly cinching them up to the life vests. Those PAXS can’t even follow simple instructions anyway. ;p I’ve seen some PAXS try to put their life jacket on backwards....even after witnessing the demonstration, :eek: It’s not rocket science.

God help them if there was ever an event on Princess like the one with Costa Concordia.

There's a certain number of people who wouldn't make it during a real emergency no matter how many instructions they've had.

I can not remember which Princess ship I was on but I was told it is up to the captain to decide life vest or not at the muster drill. (even if fleet wide it is okay). I thought maybe the captain looks to see how many newbies are sailing and decided from there?? The captain has the final say.

I can not remember which Princess ship I was on but I was told it is up to the captain to decide life vest or not at the muster drill. (even if fleet wide it is okay). I thought maybe the captain looks to see how many newbies are sailing and decided from there?? The captain has the final say.

Who told you that?

The captain always has complete control of the ship by international law and has the right to change anything that impacts the safety of the ship.

I think Platinum and Elite should be exempt, as long as have cruised within the past two years with Princess. Otherwise, practice makes perfect. (I realize that is likely an impossible rule - it would have to be 100% exempt by status on the presumption we know what to do after that many cruises).

I think Platinum and Elite should be exempt, as long as have cruised within the past two years with Princess. Otherwise, practice makes perfect. (I realize that is likely an impossible rule - it would have to be 100% exempt by status on the presumption we know what to do after that many cruises).

Things appear to be heading in that direction. :D

It get so boring to have to sit there time after time & listen to the same old spiel.

Things appear to be heading in that direction. :D

It get so boring to have to sit there time after time & listen to the same old spiel.

Agree with Floridalover5623.

Cruise lines should make it personal choice for all PAXS

whether or not to attend the muster drill. And, no matter what loyalty level.

Let’s face it, if there was actually an abandon ship, PAXS who know how to put on the life vest will more than likely live, and those who don’t or can’t, will likely die.

And, should PAXS using mobility devices be exempt from having to attend the drill?

God willing, enjoy your next cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Agree with Floridalover5623.

Cruise lines should make it personal choice for all PAXS

whether or not to attend the muster drill. And, no matter what loyalty level.

Let’s face it, if there was actually an abandon ship, PAXS who know how to put on the life vest will more than likely live, and those who don’t or can’t, will likely die.

And, should PAXS using mobility devices be exempt from having to attend the drill?

God willing, enjoy your next cruise.

There's only one problem with that thinking....although the announcement is ALWAYS the same information the route from your cabin to your designated location will be confusing to many people.

Newbies can't even seem to find the restaurants without asking fo directions and are even somewhat lost at the end of the cruise.

There's only one problem with that thinking....although the announcement is ALWAYS the same information the route from your cabin to your designated location will be confusing to many people.

Newbies can't even seem to find the restaurants without asking fo directions and are even somewhat lost at the end of the cruise.

No lifejackets on royal, 20 december.

My new opinion is it doesnt matter for safety. Its like showing a card trick to a dog.

Having done over 1000 fire and boat drills in my career, and working hard to learn something new every drill, I will repeat my recommendations to those who feel that the drill is a waste of time. While you are there, zoning out, instead use the time for a mental exercise that could save your life. Pick a location on the ship and assume you are there when the alarm sounds, now pick a location for a fire on the ship. Now visualize the route you would take to get from your original spot to your muster station without going through the location you designated as the fire, or any deck above that location in the same fire zone. If you are cruising on the same ship, or sister ship frequently, pick different start locations, and different fire locations each time. There are virtually an infinite amount of combinations. Or, consider that your muster station may be unusable (especially the indoor ones), so think of how to get to another muster station that may be the alternate for your location. Really, people, the person most responsible for your safety is looking back in the mirror. If you don't care to take the time to think about personal safety, why should the crew care about helping you.

As to not taking life jackets to drill, I feel this is not a good idea, based on the number of guests who I've corrected about wearing the jacket in a manner that would place them floating face down in the water. These life jackets are different than most have on their boats, and have different characteristics. What should have been done was to make it mandatory to wrap up the straps as they were when found in the cabin, and for the muster leaders to check each and every jacket as they dismiss people from the drill. I know this is antithesis to 99.9% of cruisers, but I consider the muster drill not to be about customer convenience, but to be about life and death. I agree with the previous poster who said the only way to learn was to drill realistically.

Pick a location on the ship and assume you are there when the alarm sounds, now pick a location for a fire on the ship. Now visualize the route you would take to get from your original spot to your muster station without going through the location you designated as the fire, or any deck above that location in the same fire zone. If you are cruising on the same ship, or sister ship frequently, pick different start locations, and different fire locations each time. There are virtually an infinite amount of combinations. Or, consider that your muster station may be unusable (especially the indoor ones), so think of how to get to another muster station that may be the alternate for your location.

Now imagine doing that when:

- it's 'pitch black';

- the floor has become a wall;

- the air is full of choking smoke;

- there is freezing cold water everywhere.

When I first get to my stateroom, I practice getting from there to my muster station (and an exit... I'm usually in an 'Inside' room) by closing my eyes and doing it by 'feel' - counting and memorizing the number of doors to go by/through, the number of stairwell landings and the turns to take.

Wow. Just flipped over to the Princess board because we're branching out and trying a Princess cruise next. Have to admit, I'm shocked that on Princess you're still carrying a life vest to the muster drill. Never had to do that on Celebrity. Wow. Let the learning curve begin.

Wow. Just flipped over to the Princess board because we're branching out and trying a Princess cruise next. Have to admit, I'm shocked that on Princess you're still carrying a life vest to the muster drill. Never had to do that on Celebrity. Wow. Let the learning curve begin.

Don't ever go on Holland-America then, they still go outside on their muster drills. At least they do on the Alaska cruises out of Seattle!

Tom

Well, at least those who know how to put on their life vests will most likely be the ones to survive should the ship go down. Those who don’t know how, or can’t will die. Let it be up to each PAX decide whether to attend or not attend the muster drill.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Well, at least those who know how to put on their life vests will most likely be the ones to survive should the ship go down. Those who don’t know how, or can’t will die. Let it be up to each PAX decide whether to attend or not attend the muster drill.

That is not the cruise line's decision to make. Since SOLAS requires mandatory attendance at the drills, every nation that is signatory to SOLAS has passed enabling legislation to incorporate the wording and details of SOLAS into their laws, and therefore you would need to get all the 162 nations to decide to change their laws.

NCL and Celebrity show a film while you sit in a comfortable lounge. Although this is much more pleasant, as a retired Navy Chief, I can't help but wonder if people learn enough to save their own lives.

Having done over 1000 fire and boat drills in my career, and working hard to learn something new every drill, I will repeat my recommendations to those who feel that the drill is a waste of time. While you are there, zoning out, instead use the time for a mental exercise that could save your life. Pick a location on the ship and assume you are there when the alarm sounds, now pick a location for a fire on the ship. Now visualize the route you would take to get from your original spot to your muster station without going through the location you designated as the fire, or any deck above that location in the same fire zone. If you are cruising on the same ship, or sister ship frequently, pick different start locations, and different fire locations each time. There are virtually an infinite amount of combinations. Or, consider that your muster station may be unusable (especially the indoor ones), so think of how to get to another muster station that may be the alternate for your location. Really, people, the person most responsible for your safety is looking back in the mirror. If you don't care to take the time to think about personal safety, why should the crew care about helping you.

As to not taking life jackets to drill, I feel this is not a good idea, based on the number of guests who I've corrected about wearing the jacket in a manner that would place them floating face down in the water. These life jackets are different than most have on their boats, and have different characteristics. What should have been done was to make it mandatory to wrap up the straps as they were when found in the cabin, and for the muster leaders to check each and every jacket as they dismiss people from the drill. I know this is antithesis to 99.9% of cruisers, but I consider the muster drill not to be about customer convenience, but to be about life and death. I agree with the previous poster who said the only way to learn was to drill realistically.

Thought I was the only only one who thinks it is a bad idea. We've been to lots of muster drills but one they change the life jackets I end up in a mess with bits of loops everywhere ;-) . I do think that it is better to at least had a go at trying one on incase there is an emergency.

Then again, I may be wrong , but I hope that they have made this decision due t safety reasons and not passengers moaning about having to take them, time spent going back to cabins etc etc etc.

P.S. We tend to sail with P&O and they seem to be the only ones left now who tell you to take life jackets. For now.

NCL and Celebrity show a film while you sit in a comfortable lounge. Although this is much more pleasant, as a retired Navy Chief, I can't help but wonder if people learn enough to save their own lives.

On Celebrity we sat in The Tuscan Grill and couldn't see the screen and those around us just chatted throughout. On RCI we were on deck while a group of 4 women (who were plastered) laughed and giggled through the lot and made a joke of it all. The RCI one was a shambles.

Would rather they go OTT with this sort of stuff than let people ignore it ....