Life Vest drag to Muster is over!!

Sanibel*Gal

NCL and Celebrity show a film while you sit in a comfortable lounge. Although this is much more pleasant, as a retired Navy Chief, I can't help but wonder if people learn enough to save their own lives.

As the poster above said, on my last Celebrity cruise I was in the Tuscan grill, no view of the screen - not that it matter because I saw it on the Equinox a month before.

That said, I recall the main point of the movie was that you can't smoke and shouldn't go into crew areas. Nothing about an actual emergency, unless you count a villain getting ahold of important information and attractive agent trying to get it back. I guess if that situation comes up, we're all set.

On the Equinox they at least demonstrated the life jacket. On the Reflection - no mention.

I'm surprised they haven't been cited for this.

"Nothing about an actual emergency"

Well, you'd remember where the lifeboats are after watching that film. I had that film on both RCCI and Celebrity. On Celebrity, I was sitting where I basically couldn't see it, though I could hear it. Some of the jokes were almost funny, the first time. Here's the link:

I suppose if the idea is to drill the crew in mustering the passengers, then it does what it's supposed to.

Actually sad to see the end of the life jacket drill. I would have mine all ready to go, on in mere seconds and in the elevator lobby before the crowd:)

Edited by Wehwalt

"Nothing about an actual emergency"

Well, you'd remember where the lifeboats are after watching that film. I had that film on both RCCI and Celebrity. On Celebrity, I was sitting where I basically couldn't see it, though I could hear it. Some of the jokes were almost funny, the first time. Here's the link:

I suppose if the idea is to drill the crew in mustering the passengers, then it does what it's supposed to.

So for grins, I watched it. The muster information is there, but I saw it twice this summer, and don't remember any of the information being there, so I wonder how effective it is if you've never seen it before.

I stand corrected.

... I will repeat my recommendations to those who feel that the drill is a waste of time... Really, people, the person most responsible for your safety is looking back in the mirror. If you don't care to take the time to think about personal safety, why should the crew care about helping you.

As to not taking life jackets to drill, I feel this is not a good idea, based on the number of guests who I've corrected about wearing the jacket in a manner that would place them floating face down in the water... I consider the muster drill not to be about customer convenience, but to be about life and death. I agree with the previous poster who said the only way to learn was to drill realistically.

Now imagine doing that when:

- it's 'pitch black';

- the floor has become a wall;

- the air is full of choking smoke;

- there is freezing cold water everywhere.

Thanks to both of you for providing some needed seriousness to this. It is a well-understood principle that 'you respond the way you train'. One muster drill is far from a true training class but at least people have tried it once. I don't mind the muster drill and have done it outside on a hot deck with life jacket on and also sitting inside without it. Sure, I prefer the latter but I think the former gets my attention better. It isn't likely I will be very comfortable in the low (but not zero) probability of an emergency, so maybe it's good to be uncomfortable.

I do, however, agree that carrying the life jackets around, with straps trailing, does cause a hazard after the drill. This doesn't have to happen but pax don't take this whole process seriously enough.

I agree with everyone who says let the people who don't know how to do it suffer the consequences, but I believe that no seaman (and I inlcude all cruise ship crew as seamen) of any worth would pass a pax who needed help during an emergency. This puts them in danger, not just the pax.

It's 15-20 minutes out of your cruise. Go with the flow and learn how to use the vest and what to do in case of an emergency. It hurts no one and could help.

ML

ML

Let those PAXS who decide they can’t be bothered taking 15-20 minutes out of their cruise time to attend the muster drill be the PAXS who go down with the ship should there be a catastrophic event.

Yes, you've repeated your philosophy of Darwinism several times, bit tiring. Let's just say that that is not the way our civilization is set up. Your mind set of "me first and the heck with anyone else" is also a personality that those trained in crowd and crisis management are taught to expend extra time and energy watching to suppress this attitude as it leads to anarchy.

Even though I recommend taking the life jacket to muster, and practicing donning it, here's a simple fact about abandoning ship and life jackets. Even given the chaos of the Concordia disaster, 69% of the souls onboard made it to shore in lifeboats and rafts, without ever entering the water and needing the lifejackets (and there is no statistic on how many of that 69% were actually wearing life jackets). A lifejacket, while a valuable life saving appliance, should always be considered the last option.

Just off the Crown Princess & when we met our room steward, he told us the good news! You no longer take your life vest to Muster & will be fleet wide soon.

[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Wow, that will be great! We don't sail until October, so I hope it will have gotten to the Pacific by then!

Just wondering:

So, what happens to PAXS that are too fat, and the life vest strap does not fit around their gut? Are they exempt from taking part in the drill?

Also, are PAXS with mobility issues, like being in a wheelchair, scooter, or must rely on a walker. Are they exempt from exempt from the drill as well?

There are extra large life jackets available. Those with mobility issues can request the "special needs" muster station, which even on ships with outdoor muster, will be indoors, seated, and will have additional crew assigned who are sent on demand to assist those with mobility issues. Typically, there is also a nurse assigned to this muster station.

There are extra large life jackets available. Those with mobility issues can request the "special needs" muster station, which even on ships with outdoor muster, will be indoors, seated, and will have additional crew assigned who are sent on demand to assist those with mobility issues. Typically, there is also a nurse assigned to this muster station.

Thanks. Always wondered.

NCL and Celebrity show a film while you sit in a comfortable lounge. Although this is much more pleasant, as a retired Navy Chief, I can't help but wonder if people learn enough to save their own lives.

Yes, Celebrity show a film however some muster stations are not in comfortable lounges and when you are jammed against a wall in six deep lines you can't always see the screens. Our last muster on Celebrity was a total waste of time as far as safety was concerned, and extremely uncomfortable. Princess is far better and, although it will be nice not to have to lug the life jacket around, it never particularly bothered me.

Doesn’t that always shock you when you see people blowing into the whistles?!! The ones that never get cleaned!!

Yep, and as Mrs Gut has a neurological condition triggered by sharp noises (among other things) it causes her physical distress.

But no idea why you’d put a spit filled whistle in your mouth unless absolutely essential.