Free unlimited valet laundry on 2018 mediterranean voyages

ededmd

For better or worse, Regent cannot do anything about the airlines. When our luggage was lost for 10 days on a 30 night cruise, some people affected went ballistic at Regent because this happened. The fact was that Heathrow Airport had a major problem and thousands upon thousands pieces of luggage was stuck there. Regent's Executive Concierge onboard spent hours going to the airport in each port searching through luggage until they were finally found (even though it was not their fault that it it did not make it to the ship).

Most airports do have people that can assist with luggage but one needs to ask. Alternatively, luggage can be shipped to the ship without you having to do anything (except pay for it). Age really isn't a factor in terms of handling luggage - mobility is. You can be 30 and not be able to lift luggage for a variety of reasons (recent surgery, back issues, etc.). On our just completed cruise when we had very heavy luggage, even though my DH was able to get it off of the carousel, younger men tried to assist him (at more than one airport). There are some nice people out there are are happy to help others.

IMO, some passengers are sounding a bit spoiled on this thread. We managed to do our own laundry for years on Regent and didn't complain about it. Eventually we decided to pay to have it done (the same options that one has at home). Finally we earned the benefit.

I agree with posters that say that included laundry is fine - IF it does not affect the turnaround time for those of us that earned our included laundry and IF additional benefits (equal to the cost of included laundry) was provided to Seven Seas members. Titanium members already get 25% off of Regent Choice excursions -- perhaps they should be included (as well as the Connoisseur Wine lunch). Platinum members could perhaps get a certain number included Regent Choice excursions and maybe Gold could get one per week.

It is understandable that posters that have yet to reach the upper levels of the Seven Seas Society may not care about the thousands of loyal Regent passengers that have spent years and a lot of money to receive this benefit. I also understand what Regent is doing but it would be short sided to ignore your loyal customers. This reminds me of when Mediterranean cruises were being sold for extremely low prices in the U.K. They filled up their ships on most cruises - but did they ever book again (at regular prices)?

P.S. For those of you that think that included laundry is not costing you anything, I suggest that you think again!

Just a reminder (relevant to some of the postings): Remember that one can engage a luggage service if toting that barge, lifting that bale has become too difficult, as it has become for us. We're able to handle only light baggage, so we've been hiring Luggage Free (which is NOT free!) on the last several trips. I kind of like the fact that even if our carried/airline bags get lost, we'll still have the one(s) which get delivered to the ship by Luggage Free (there are similar companies). Of course something could go amiss there as well, but at least the eggs are in different baskets. That ship-ahead (to the ship!) service is pretty costly (imo), but it's worked well for us.

Of course, I am well aware that Regent can't do anything about our sorry airlines. But Regent must depend on them to get us to the ports. And Regent should realize that it is in their best interest to adjust their policies to make their guests travel on the airlines less painful for us older guests (who make up most of Regent's guests). Reducing our luggage burden with included or package-priced laundry would be one way. Giving us domestic flights that can be upgraded by points or cash to first/business would be another. My story. Sticking to it.

Do people seriously remain loyal to a cruise company in the hope of "earning" free laundry? Are the bragging rights that important?

Definitely not about bragging rights. Most of us didn't talk about it until Regent started giving it away! And, yes, we remain loyal for a variety of reasons and the Seven Seas Society benefits are among them.

Dolebludger - take less luggage - do your own laundry and keep Regent fares from going even higher. Nothing on Regent is "free".

Rusty, the answer is "NO". A bit of history is needed here. Our first Regent (then Radisson) cruise was in early 2002. Per diem per person was about $250. Air travel in coach/economy was possible for those of us who aren't contortionists! All airlines (except Southwest) transferred luggage to all other airlines at plane changes. Luggage weight limits were higher, and there was no charge for checked luggage. Granted, most air, shore excursions, and drinks in lounges weren't included. But drinks at lunch and dinner, and in the suite were included. Because the cruise fare was so much lower than the $1000 per diem per person today, and because flying to the port coach/economy was not painful due to more seat room then, a Regent (then Radisson) cruise was much less than half the cost of one today, and a lot less hassle. As a result, we took about four cruises per year. Now inflation since the early and mid 2000s has not been 100% or more to justify the increased costs. It is not a factor that I lack the money to pay cash for a Regent cruise and the first/business domestic air I need to avoid being ill. It is that I question the value for the money.

So the problem is multi-faceted. One element is Regent's massive fare increases in the past 10 - 15 years. Another factor is unacceptable airline service, which Regent can't control, but must adjust to. Another factor is the luggage hassle, making it advantageous to take as little as possible. And another factor is that all of Regent's "free" domestic air is non-upgradable coach economy, which is painful to many of us. The failure of Regent to provide included laundry (or a flat rate package less costly than the per piece rate) is close to being "the straw that broke the camels back" for us where consideration of future Regent cruises is concerned. In this regard it must be noted that the Paul Gauguin, formerly a Regent/Radisson ship, offers such a flat rate package.

So no, Rusty, I am not motivated by included laundry to cruise Regent enough in the future to elevate us upward from Gold SSS status. It is that there is extra expense beyond the ridiculous $1000 per diem, plus the hassle, motivates us to search for alternatives that present a better value.

Do people seriously remain loyal to a cruise company in the hope of "earning" free laundry? Are the bragging rights that important?

Well, yes, our loyalty is certainly motivated by having earned a certain level of rewards with free laundry being one of the bigger bonuses. Internet was the biggest reason and now I think all get it. Laundry was the next biggest reason and it appears that all will soon get it. Do I mind that other get it without having earned status - no. But we saw that handing out free internet to all caused significant problems with bandwidth/speed which are only marginally improving now. Will free laundry for all cause the service for all to slow down? Probably. So not only are my loyalty benefits worth less but the service also degrades for me. That I do mind, especially if no new loyalty benefits are generated.

On the other hand, maybe laundry benefits will spread across to the other luxury lines. We have been thinking about trying them and if laundry was free there it would probably be enough to tip the balance. We are getting close to Titanium and cruise an average of two trips a year on Regent so this probably sounds strange. But, the same sort of thing happened with the airlines. We were both 1K status with United for many years and when they degraded their reward plans they lost us. We fly whomever is most convenient and least expensive.

Marketing can be difficult. As a premium brand you don't want to cut prices but maybe they were raised too quickly and/or too far. You certainly do not wish to irritate your loyal customers, especially when there is more and more capacity coming on line. A balance is difficult to find but it is possible. Regent has not found the balance and I'm not sure that free laundry is the right thing unless they increase some other loyalty benefit.

Best,

John

John,

I fully support that if free, included laundry is given to all by Regent, those in the upper SSS categories should be given some other benefits to compensate them for the dilution of included laundry. However, we took a 10 day cruise on Paul Gauguin and we could BUY a laundry package (unlimited) for $160. Regent should consider that route.

Would there be any point to offering people a choice of free laundry OR free excursions? One of the reasons we switched and go back and forth to Silversea was because we just aren't fans of the included excursions. We also go back to the days of Radisson but have nowhere near the $ or emotion invested in this company as some people do. I can certainly see why some would be annoyed. Maybe the least that they could do would be to include the choice excursions for the upper tier customers who really do have a lot of loyalty in Regent.

Haven’t seen the email yet - just out of curiosity, what is the average duration of those listed cruises?

Looks like they’re dipping their toes in the water...and it might upset some Platinum and Titanium members, I think.

Yes, Regent is definitely diluting the SSS member benefits. They are offering free laundry on other cruises too, beside the Med.

J (Titanium)

One part of this discussion that seems to keep getting lost is the suggestion that Regent needs to consider a reasonably priced per day laundry package. We are about to go on our first Regent cruise and have to say that one thing that almost resulted in us going elsewhere is the lack of this kind of package (yes, this does matter). We have really enjoyed the per-day laundry package on Holland America and use it every time we sail with them. And HAL doesn’t try to say it is in the same league as Regent so if we can get it there it seems odd we can’t get it on Regent. We aren’t asking for laundry to be free (although that would be nice), but we do want a reasonably priced per-day package option. This still gives those with loyalty to the line a benefit as they get it free while serving the rest of us at least as well as we are served on HAL.

Yeah, that seems to be the best solution - have an optional laundry package that could be pre-purchased. That way you could accommodate the people who still prefer to do their own laundry, the people who might want to send out some items on a per-piece basis, those who want to spring for the package, and you could provide the laundry benefits at no charge for the higher-level SSS passengers. Sounds like a win-win-win-win across the board.

Now do we need to start a poll to see how much they should charge for the package? :')

Edited by UUNetBill
Fixed a sentence

Bill, really appreciate the reason that you started the other poll (thank you) but don’t think we need another one.

This thread makes sense and we are discussing a topic that is not a policy but rather a change in Regent’s marketing. Hoping that Regent will read this thread.

Yeah, that seems to be the best solution - have an optional laundry package that could be pre-purchased. That way you could accommodate the people who still prefer to do their own laundry, the people who might want to send out some items on a per-piece basis, those who want to spring for the package, and you could provide the laundry benefits at no charge for the higher-level SSS passengers. Sounds like a win-win-win-win across the board.

Now do we need to start a poll to see how much they should charge for the package? :')

Bill

You always come up with fair solutions! Good ideas!

Sheila

Got an email this am.

Enjoy the ultimate convenience of FREE Roundtrip Business Class Air, FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions, and just announcedFREE Unlimited Valet Laundry, including garment pressing, for every suite category on the luxurious 2018 Mediterranean voyages listed below.

29 voyages listed.

Hi Ededmd,

Can you tell me if that is for all Med cruises in 2018? We are taking one in the fall but I did not get this email.

Hi Ededmd,

Can you tell me if that is for all Med cruises in 2018? We are taking one in the fall but I did not get this email.

Just chiming in on this laundry issue. We have taken two European river cruises with a wonderful company called Scenic. The first time we got a lower priced room ( still pricey) but on the same deck as the larger more expensive suites. Our cost for this suite did not include laundry ( not sure if you could have paid for the service). The next year we did a different itinerary ( on Scenic) and decided to go for the larger room and of course more $$$. This suite did include laundry. I think that Regent is unwise to now be giving this perk to everyone without making it up to those who have sailed on their line many times. That being said, we are taking our first Regent cruise ( Med) in the Fall and we are very excited that we will be getting laundry included.

Hi Ededmd,

The fine print says:

FREE Unlimited Valet Laundry applies to new and current booked guests in all suite categories on 2018 Mediterranean voyages from April through November aboard Seven Seas Explorer (excluding May 22, 2018 and September 15, 2018 voyages) and from June through November aboard Seven Seas Voyager. Laundry Service includes garment pressing and excludes dry cleaning services

https://www.rssc.com/specials/details?Id=e3d614b1-dce7-4ecd-a13d-5b767431a55b&s=EM_RSS_PT_TCT_EMI_CTB_BLC_FREEBCA_DEC174043-20171219_NA_UC_DESTMED

Bill, really appreciate the reason that you started the other poll (thank you) but don’t think we need another one.

This thread makes sense and we are discussing a topic that is not a policy but rather a change in Regent’s marketing. Hoping that Regent will read this thread.

Yeah, I was kidding about a new poll (sort of).

We're obviously not Titanium (or Diamond or Commodore, either) but I just hate to see the upper tier perks being eroded like that. Seems like Regent needs to take a closer look at these marketing campaigns and see what kind of negative effect they're having on their long-time clients.

I'm all for more included benefits, especially the way the prices have been rising - but not when they come at the expense of loyal Regent customers. Just doesn't seem right.

And then there are people like us who will be sailing on the Voyager for 34 days with NO valet laundry service included in our cruise fare. So where does this all start and stop.

I do agree with the suggestion that Regent include more of a pricing perk for loyal Seven Seas Society members vs these other amenities that are give aways.

I do feel sorry for the laundry staff onboard as there will no doubt be a lot of extra work for them. And of course if Regent has to staff up to deal with the extra demand, won’t we all end up paying for it in the end....

Sent from my iPad using Forums