Free unlimited valet laundry on 2018 mediterranean voyages

ededmd

Bill, a comparison thread may be a good idea - especially since there are differences between the top four luxury cruise lines. Off the top of my head the one thing that stands out is Silversea that has more than one specialty restaurant (depending upon the ship) where you have to pay to dine. And, Silversea does run fairly good Business Class specials on some itineraries. To my knowledge, Seabourn does not run any airfare specials (but I could be wrong) and I don't recall seeing specials for Business Class air on Crystal.

So, how does one make a price comparison with so many variables? Not sure. Even Regent is difficult to compare with air credits going from around $300/person to over $6,000/person.

Does anyone have details on the loyalty programs for Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn? And, what about benefits in the top suites. We have had free laundry on Silversea and some state that this is also the case on Seabourn..... but what level is high enough on Seabourn to receive such a benefit? And, does Crystal offer any laundry benefit?

Then there is Regent's newer policy about top suites dining every night in specialty restaurants (if they choose to). Is this the same on Silversea, Crystal or Seabourn? What about priority boarding. There have been some comments about it but no one has offered to post an official policy.

IMO, the differences between the luxury cruise lines is a good thing. Would be want them to be identical and offer the same things? To expand on the luxury market, there are foreign luxury lines like Hapag Lloyd's luxury ships that are mostly for German speakers. Silversea usually has at least 50% non-U.S./Canadian passengers and they dress formally while Regent is around 80- 90% of the passengers are from the U.S/Canada and the dress code is Elegant Casual.

The differences, IMO, equals choices. However, if a luxury cruise line is doing well and has a very high percentage of returning passengers, why change what is working? It isn't like Regent's policies are from the last century -- many/most of them are fairly new (or within the last 3-4 years). Whether your luxury cruise line of choice is Crystal, Regent, Seabourn or Silversea, people choose them for a reason and are not looking for or expecting policies to drastically change on their cruise line of choice.

There are also people that are not loyal to one cruise line but I believe they are in the minority. Airlines, hotels and cruise lines "hook" their customers with loyalty programs, discounts, etc. and many of us like what they offer. The same can be said of our credit card companies. They offer points (or other benefits) and many of us use the one or two credit cards for everything. Why? So that we can get the benefits afforded to us by the points.

So, for those of you with thousands/hundreds of thousands/millions of points on airlines, how did it feel when they were devalued or when expiration dates were placed upon using the mileage points?

IMO, this is not about laundry per se but about loyalty/incentive programs that are offered by cruise lines, air lines, etc. Yes - they do change over the years but who ever decides to give them away to people that have never cruised on Regent or flown on an airline - not even once (referring to laundry promotion in the Mediterranean).

Can only briefly comment on Silversea's loyalty bennies (tho novices at just about 200days sailed). You earn this free laundry after just 100 days sailed. Short summary of SS's perks below. We have Silversea friends who book the Grand Suite on their voyages--tho they do not get the privilege of dining in the specialty restaurant whenever they like--the do get a complimentary (worth $120, since the fee went up this summer from $40pp to $60pp to dine in Silversea specialty restaurants) nite in the French degustation menu, Le Champagne, when they are staying in the Grand Suite.

We enjoyed free laundry on our Voyager Grand Voyage last year and will get free laundry and unlimited dry cleaning on this year's Mariner Grand Voyage. The unique itinerary plus having this amenity (we are only Gold) helps convince us to book these Grand Voyages. Interesting note: we will also get free on board medical service (we have never had this before--guess this will come in handy if Ida or I catch a cold) Have noted Regent no longer includes this amenity on their grand voyage benefits now on the website's offerings.

Jackie, am never happy when an airline/hotel program devalues our miles, but have learned to live with it--and therefore travel now as often as we can.

Membership Privileges

• Onboard recognition and private parties
  • Additional savings on select voyages - look for this icon
  • Ship visitation privileges

Milestone Rewards

The more you sail, the more you receive after:

• 100 days: 5% savings on future sailings
  • 250 days: 10% savings on future sailings
  • 350 days: complimentary 7-day voyage
  • 500 days: complimentary 14-day voyage
  • 500-day milestone, complimentary 7-day voyage for each 150 days sailed

All of the above milsetones include complimentary laundry service (excludes dry cleaning and "press only").

Edited by WesW

...am never happy when an airline/hotel program devalues our miles, but have learned to live with it--and therefore travel now as often as we can.

Valuable advice.

We do the same... as soon as we have accumulated enough Chase Reserve points, we move 'em to an airline or hotel where we can snag that next business class seat or hotel night when needed.

Devaluations of program benefits are painful, but like you, we live with them. For airline programs in particular, when one carrier makes a change, others follow. The trend of awarding miles based on ticket cost rather than miles flown is a case in point.

Can only briefly comment on Silversea's loyalty bennies (tho novices at just about 200days sailed). You earn this free laundry after just 100 days sailed. Short summary of SS's perks below. We have Silversea friends who book the Grand Suite on their voyages--tho they do not get the privilege of dining in the specialty restaurant whenever they like--the do get a complimentary (worth $120, since the fee went up this summer from $40pp to $60pp to dine in Silversea specialty restaurants) nite in the French degustation menu, Le Champagne, when they are staying in the Grand Suite.

We enjoyed free laundry on our Voyager Grand Voyage last year and will get free laundry and unlimited dry cleaning on this year's Mariner Grand Voyage. The unique itinerary plus having this amenity (we are only Gold) helps convince us to book these Grand Voyages. Interesting note: we will also get free on board medical service (we have never had this before--guess this will come in handy if Ida or I catch a cold) Have noted Regent no longer includes this amenity on their grand voyage benefits now on the website's offerings.

Jackie, am never happy when an airline/hotel program devalues our miles, but have learned to live with it--and therefore travel now as often as we can.

Membership Privileges

• Onboard recognition and private parties
  • Additional savings on select voyages - look for this icon
  • Ship visitation privileges

Milestone Rewards

The more you sail, the more you receive after:

• 100 days: 5% savings on future sailings
  • 250 days: 10% savings on future sailings
  • 350 days: complimentary 7-day voyage
  • 500 days: complimentary 14-day voyage
  • 500-day milestone, complimentary 7-day voyage for each 150 days sailed

All of the above milsetones include complimentary laundry service (excludes dry cleaning and "press only").

Thanks Wes for detailing the loyalty program for Silversea. very interesting. Must say that I prefer our Titanium benefits to having a free 7 night cruise (likely in a small suite) on Silversea - even though I do like Silversea.

Out of curiosity, how many nights are the Grand Voyages that give away free laundry? And, is the ship typically full, half full or ??? with people doing the entire voyage. I'm mentally comparing it with the short, cheap 7-10 night cruises when the free laundry is included this summer.

As stated, devaluing the loyalty benefits is bad enough but giving it away free to newbies is insulting. We are not leaving Regent but others have posted (I think on this thread) that by giving away our earned benefits, there is little reason to remain loyal.

I am sure that Regent management will have carefully checked the capacity of the laundries on their ships before allowing the marketing department to offer included laundry and pressing to all guests on this summer's Med cruises.

I mean, look how carefully they checked the capacity of Wi-Fi services on their ships before offering internet access to all guests :rolleyes: ...................... Oh dear, maybe not such a good example of thinking things through thoroughly in advance :eek:

Flossie, I don’t understand your point. ;) The Regent website says Regent has great Wi-FI:

"We have quadrupled our bandwidth to enhance your browsing experience with high-speed WiFi. With our expanded bandwidth, you can now consume content, post photos to social media and seamlessly stay connected with friends and family."

Surely Regent wouldn't tell a falsehood?

Regent is wonderful. Free air, free excursions, free drinks, free food, free water, free entertainment, free toiletries, free phone, free internet. And now the laundry service will be free. I'm a bit mystified by what the hundreds of dollars a day booking fee is for since just about everything is free.

And Regent has enticed frequent travelers to take more and more cruises for a reward of perks that will now be given "free" to everyone. So now the guests who spent thousands, even hundreds of thousands of dollars don't get something special for their loyalty and big spending.

Yes, you get seamless internet, but you don’t. You get just about everything free, but you don’t. You get extra perks for your loyalty, but you don’t. How to describe Regent's marketing? Legit? Flim-flam? Deceptive? Worse?

I would like to know what Regent's management thinks all of this says about their corporate image and integrity.

RJ2002, we love Chase UR points and now that we are in 2018 the $300 travel credit (use on board the Mariner in 2 weeks)

Jackie, both this year’s GV and last year’s were first marketed as one voyage, then they split them into two voyage. Our GV last year was sold out by segment, but there were only about 50 of us GVr’s. As of today, there are only three suite categories left on the 36 Day Circumnavigation of Australia for this Dec/Jan. Our GV last year was 40 days but as u look on the Regent site now they (six voyages)can range from 36 days to 71 days, so we feel fortunate to get FL with the 36 day GV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regent’s definition of a “Grand Voyage”, and associated benefits seems to vary over the months and years.

Until 2014/2015 Regent clearly defined a Grand Voyage as a cruise of 35 days or more; the longer the cruise the more benefits were available and we remember this being clearly laid out in a simple tabular format.

Then the criteria became less well defined and for a while in 2016 the designation Grand Voyage disappeared completely.

On the website (UK) now there are 6 Grand Voyages being offered; varying from 36 to 89 nights, but it only appears to be those cruises over 60 night duration that receive any notable benefits.

You can also find plenty of other cruises over 35 nights that are not designated as Grand Voyages and have no additional benefits.

All very inconsistent.

Wes, you were indeed fortunate to get good benefits on the 36 nighter. :)

Edited by flossie009

RJ2002, we love Chase UR points and now that we are in 2018 the $300 travel credit (use on board the Mariner in 2 weeks)

Jackie, both this year’s GV and last year’s were first marketed as one voyage, then they split them into two voyage. Our GV last year was sold out by segment, but there were only about 50 of us GVr’s. As of today, there are only three suite categories left on the 36 Day Circumnavigation of Australia for this Dec/Jan. Our GV last year was 40 days but as u look on the Regent site now they (six voyages)can range from 36 days to 71 days, so we feel fortunate to get FL with the 36 day GV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks once again, Wes. As I thought, Regent's World Cruises and Grand Voyages would likely not affect the laundry service. Regent has yet to have 700 passengers with "free" laundry as will be the case this coming summer on Mediterranean voyages.

Also, I understand your comment about the devaluation of airline points but at least they do not give the benefits earned for the points to people that have never sailed on the airline as Regent is doing with passengers this summer.

Well, that is not true. Airlines do in fact giveaway "earned benefits" to people who had not flown them before.

As an example I have elite status on a few airlines. I have always gotten free bags, priority boarding, etc.

my father signed up for an airline affiliated credit card and got those same benefits that I "earned" by flying 75k miles.

Do I care? Mostly no, except when the lone for boarding is so long for all of those card holders and I get to the gate late and I can't get my carry on in the overhead.

But the reality is, nothing is guaranteed. And the reality is we all never earned these benefits forever. Companies have in their plan documents the ability to change the terms.

It's their right.

This thread has been truly fascinating,

Well, that is not true. Airlines do in fact giveaway "earned benefits" to people who had not flown them before.

As an example I have elite status on a few airlines. I have always gotten free bags, priority boarding, etc.

my father signed up for an airline affiliated credit card and got those same benefits that I "earned" by flying 75k miles.

Do I care? Mostly no, except when the lone for boarding is so long for all of those card holders and I get to the gate late and I can't get my carry on in the overhead.

But the reality is, nothing is guaranteed. And the reality is we all never earned these benefits forever. Companies have in their plan documents the ability to change the terms.

It's their right.

This thread has been truly fascinating,

Interesting but, as indicated, I was really talking about people with a whole lot of miles (equivalent - if it is possible to do an equivalency, to 200 and 400 nights on Regent that would likely cost a minimum of $100,000 (calculating per diem of $500/night which is difficult to get on Regent) to around $800,000 (figuring Titanium at $1,000/night). My DH had a million miles on United Airlines and it is unlikely that someone new to United would be given benefits that would equal a million miles.

In general, I am speaking to those of us who have earned a minimum of 200 nights on Regent although there are some people that are only Gold that get a small amount of included laundry.

Yes - companies have a right to do whatever they choose to do but it doesn't necessarily bring them sustained new business. A lot of people can afford a discounted or "local" cruise on Regent but will they book additional cruises? After all, sustainability is what it is all about.

Oh and to be clear, the million miles club means nothing anymore. The elite group is global services. Completely based on airfare spending. That level of service made the experience security lines tolerable. But I would Not be surprised if United sells that level too someday.

Travelcat2,

Where do we get 700 people will be on these summer cruises? I mean Regent would love that, but the itineraries aren't selling. Not even those loyal SSS members that receive the highly regarded benefits are supporting these specific itineraries, so Regent has no choice but to add benefits to try and gain more customers.

You are absolutely right to be angry about the loss of benefits at higher tiers of SSS, but you really shouldn't be surprised. The biggest thing you can do is vote with your wallet, going back and forth on here just burns bandwidth. Move to another line for a few cruises, maybe cancel one you have booked already. Then again, if you feel Regent still is the best line and stick with them, you'll play right into Regents hand and keep cruising with them no matter what benefits they take away and policies they change. When does one draw the line?

Travelcat2,

Where do we get 700 people will be on these summer cruises? I mean Regent would love that, but the itineraries aren't selling. Not even those loyal SSS members that receive the highly regarded benefits are supporting these specific itineraries, so Regent has no choice but to add benefits to try and gain more customers.

You are absolutely right to be angry about the loss of benefits at higher tiers of SSS, but you really shouldn't be surprised. The biggest thing you can do is vote with your wallet, going back and forth on here just burns bandwidth. Move to another line for a few cruises, maybe cancel one you have booked already. Then again, if you feel Regent still is the best line and stick with them, you'll play right into Regents hand and keep cruising with them no matter what benefits they take away and policies they change. When does one draw the line?

I honestly don't know how Regent manages to fill some of their cruises but they do it somehow. We booked a cruise 2 months prior to embarkation in Alaska last year that wasn't selling. Six weeks prior to the sailing Regent got PBS to do an Artful Traveler cruise and it filled the cruise. They also offer specials to passengers already booked on a cruise to extend their cruise at a big discount. IMO this is better than simply discounting a cruise because they are targeting passengers that have already booked a Regent cruise.

The reason that we have 3 Silversea and 2 Oceania cruises is because we did vote with our wallet. The biggest thing that I learned from that is that Regent does listen to their customers. They have changed policies due to input from "us" (meaning CC members and loyal passengers).

We believe in Regent and feel that they ultimately will set fair policies in place that will be satisfactory to their loyal passengers.

Finding this thread a cross between amusing and tedious!

To put the record straight, on Seabourn your free laundry depends on how many days you have on board, improving as you go up the scale to unlimited free laundry on 250 days or more. I am fairly sure that top suites do not automatically get free laundry - someone may correct me. If they do, it isn't written down anywhere.

Travelcat2.....sincerely.....there is not a kind and benevolent "Mr. Regent" who is lovingly looking out for you and yours. The company wants to make money. Your idea to vote with your wallet is exactly the right way to do it. It is a giant chess game where clients try their best to get the cheapest price for themselves using all kinds of strategies and the company does their best to figure out ways to get it back. It's not personal. As long as they deliver exactly what they advertise and you are paying for you shouldn't be disappointed. The fact is they have not always done so and the free internet is a stellar example. You can't take this so personally. As long as customers feel they are getting value for $$$ the game plays along. If marketing tells them they need to appeal to a different segment of travelers to make things work for the company, that's what they are going to do and if a few loyal clients go elsewhere.....oh well.

Finding this thread a cross between amusing and tedious!

To put the record straight, on Seabourn your free laundry depends on how many days you have on board, improving as you go up the scale to unlimited free laundry on 250 days or more. I am fairly sure that top suites do not automatically get free laundry - someone may correct me. If they do, it isn't written down anywhere.

It is always interesting to know what Regent's competition is doing. Thanks for posting and explaining how unlimited free laundry works on Seabourn.

fizzy - guess that I know Regent management from a different perspective.

Thanks Wes for detailing the loyalty program for Silversea. very interesting. Must say that I prefer our Titanium benefits to having a free 7 night cruise (likely in a small suite) on Silversea - even though I do like Silversea.

Out of curiosity, how many nights are the Grand Voyages that give away free laundry? And, is the ship typically full, half full or ??? with people doing the entire voyage. I'm mentally comparing it with the short, cheap 7-10 night cruises when the free laundry is included this summer.

As stated, devaluing the loyalty benefits is bad enough but giving it away free to newbies is insulting. We are not leaving Regent but others have posted (I think on this thread) that by giving away our earned benefits, there is little reason to remain loyal.

TC2 I don’t find it acceptable that you have the idea that Mediterranean cruises at 7 or 10 days are “cheap”

Far from it. There are no “cheap” cruises on Regent be it the Mediterranean or elsewhere.

Personally I feel this thread has run its course and is going round in circles. Jean.

TC2 I don’t find it acceptable that you have the idea that Mediterranean cruises at 7 or 10 days are “cheap”

Far from it. There are no “cheap” cruises on Regent be it the Mediterranean or elsewhere.

Personally I feel this thread has run its course and is going round in circles. Jean.

When I mention Regent prices to my DH, we talk about "cheap" or expensive based on Regent offerings - not based on the real world. So, based on that, lower category suites on Mediterranean, Alaska and Caribbean itineraries are cheap and Asia and Australia/New Zealand itineraries are expensive. Mediterranean specials in the U.K. are sometimes dramatically less than in the U.S. Whether it is "acceptable" or not is up to the individual.

Agree that this thread has gone in circles but apparently posters still have things they want to say. At the moment we are fortunate enough to have people with knowledge of the loyalty programs on Silversea and Seabourn which I find quite valuable to know. After all, IMO, this thread is more about upper level loyalty benefits than it is about laundry. And, since Regent does read this board (not sure about their competition), it is helpful for them to read about their competitions loyalty programs.

In general, I am speaking to those of us who have earned a minimum of 200 nights on Regent although there are some people that are only Gold that get a small amount of included laundry. -- from TC2

Do you remember when you were gold? Probably not that long ago. I am "only gold and get a small amount of included laundry"!!! I earned that also and appreciate it.

To Jackie- reread what you wrote. I don't know if you realize how pedantic you sound? I love you but this sentence was beyond the pale! Come back down.

Sheila

In general, I am speaking to those of us who have earned a minimum of 200 nights on Regent although there are some people that are only Gold that get a small amount of included laundry. -- from TC2

Do you remember when you were gold? Probably not that long ago. I am "only gold and get a small amount of included laundry"!!! I earned that also and appreciate it.

To Jackie- reread what you wrote. I don't know if you realize how pedantic you sound? I love you but this sentence was beyond the pale! Come back down.

Sheila

Don’t know to politely state that most of my comments on this thread are targeting Platinum and above Seven Seas Society members. These are the only passengers that have earned unlimited free laundry and therefore would be the most affected by Regents laundry promotion.

Also, think about the fact that this summer, Gold members on cruises outside of the Mediterranean will receive one bag of laundry per week while someone taking their first Regent cruise in the Mediterranean will receive unlimited laundry. ☹️

I understand some people were able to take advantage of bonus nights on the SSS program some years ago, which allowed them to enhance their status rather more quickly than they would normally. Perhaps that might be an alternative incentive to reinstate? I wonder if that's considered an acceptable means of "earning" SSS status?

I understand some people were able to take advantage of bonus nights on the SSS program some years ago, which allowed them to enhance their status rather more quickly than they would normally. Perhaps that might be an alternative incentive to reinstate? I wonder if that's considered an acceptable means of "earning" SSS status?

Not quite sure what this has to do with anything but yes - there have been ongoing promotions that give double loyalty nights. Unless a person were to book a really long cruise that had this benefit, it would make little difference. In our case, instead of becoming Titanium on our last cruise, it would have been on our next cruise. Is that "acceptable"? IMO, it is more acceptable than giving free laundry - a benefit that requires 200 nights onboard Regent - to newbies!!!!!!!!!

Speaking as someone who just hit Gold and finally got to enjoy my one free bag of laundry, it does bother me that first-time Regent customers are receiving a better benefit (free unlimited laundry) on a first cruise than I get (one bag a week) after 75+ nights. Petty? Maybe. But that's how I feel.

I understand that the benevolent Mr. Regent wants to bestow goodies upon the newbies, but he has to remember that it's the returning customers that keep them afloat (pun intended). I'm not saying that Regent shouldn't tweak their benefits and incentives, but they need put a bit more thought into the potential downsides of doing that stuff.

Just like giving 'free unlimited internet' to everyone reduced the effectiveness of the system for those who already had unlimited internet, giving 'free unlimited laundry' will invariably compromise service for those who already have unlimited laundry. It's not possible to dramatically increase the workload without compromising either speed or quality. It just can't be done.

If they want to include laundry, or priority boarding, or any other perks, that's their prerogative. But they also have to be aware of the possibility of alienating their more loyal customer base. I'm not really sure how much market research they do on these changes, but I think they probably need to do a bit more...