Free unlimited valet laundry on 2018 mediterranean voyages

ededmd

TC2,

Also, Regent has never offered us $6000 to book our own domestic business/first air. It has been more like $300 each. Why the heck can't Regent give us air in North America that can be upgraded by points or cash? Nobody has ever answered this question. The need for air travel other than coach/economy is more than a matter of "entitlement". For us elderly, it is a matter of accommodation under the ADA (Americans with disabilities act). I am a 100% disabled veteran. My wife had major back surgery earlier this year and also has MS. Coach/economy seating on domestic air from the center of the US to a coast just won't do it for us. It hurts. Neither of us can get to a cruise without better seating all the way. The Federal courts have ordered the FAA to investigate whether domestic coach/economy airline seating is even safe, so as to allow exit in an emergency landing -- even for passengers without disabilities.

Actually, the air credit for the March 2018 Cruise from Bali was $6,000pp. You may never have gotten that amount on your cruises but it does exist.

UUNetBill,

Sorry to keep posting to you, but I just noticed you lived in CO, as we do. So I'm sure you know that this really fouls up using Regent's so-called "free air". Now from Durango, the "free air" would be out of either Denver or Dallas in most cases. As I posted above, we require BC/FC all the way for physical reasons. So we can't take Regent's "cattle car" air for the domestic legs. The problem with that is Regent's domestic legs are booked by them so as not to be upgradable with points or cash. If we don't take their domestic legs, the credit is miniscule. Further Regent does not give us notice of the timing of their international included BC flight in time for us to book connecting BC/FC flights that will connect. The whole thing is just a mess. And the credit Regent will give us if we book our own flights (including international) is too small to cover the real costs.The whole mess could be solved if Regent would just book the domestic legs so that we could upgrade them with points or cash. Wouldn't mind that. But oh, no, Regent gets some "El Cheapo" rates from the airlines that locks us in to "cattle car" class for the domestic legs, and we can't do that. So, as far as I can figure out, Regent's "free air" is worthless to us. Now, if you know of a way to make it work, please post here and let me know.

DB - wish I could help you out there, but I can't. When we lived in CO and started sailing with Regent, I was 48 and my wife had just turned 40. We both traveled a bit for work (she traveled a LOT) so the few hours to get to NYC or ATL in coach wasn't a major hassle. But even now I'm getting to where I don't like coach even for a few hours. Especially when we're going on vacation! I agree that Regent should have some method of allowing passengers to upgrade the domestic leg of their flights - it would definitely add to the comfort, convenience, and 'luxury feel' they keep going on about.

Once on board, Regent is tough to beat, I think. But between some of their policies and the cluelessness of some of their home office folks, it takes some of the luster away. And yes, I realize that even though this is a 'luxury cruise' it's still 500-750 people converging on a boat together, so it's not like chartering a yacht from Monte Carlo for a few weeks...but they still need to work on the air and ground components of their product a little.

We've made one foray into a mainstream line (Cunard) and although the ship was nice, we didn't like the experience overall. Even if you have 'upper tier' or packages, the constant swiping of cards for stuff just didn't appeal to us at all. And don't even get me started on the sheer number of people. Ugh.

Yeah, Regent is getting expensive. But what isn't? I'd rather sail less often on Regent than more often on another line.

But that's just me...

UUNetBill,

Sorry to keep posting to you, but I just noticed you lived in CO, as we do. So I'm sure you know that this really fouls up using Regent's so-called "free air". Now from Durango, the "free air" would be out of either Denver or Dallas in most cases.

DB - it just occurred to me after I hit 'Submit' that there is another option for you, although it may not be the most cost-effective...have your TA book you out of an eastern gateway city, say Atlanta, Miami, or NYC. Book your own BC or FC ticket to the gateway city the day before and extend your vacation a day by enjoying your gateway city for a night...we did that once out of necessity, flew out of JFK but we were already in the NY/NJ area a few days before so we just did our thing there and then flew out BC the next day. Was more relaxing than doing the cattle car from DIA the same day.

Also, we've been upgraded to FC before on our domestic leg if we're on the same carrier as our overseas leg. Problem with that is it's a crapshoot. You don't know what carrier you're on until it's sometimes too late...

Now, let's reminisce about Colorado. :D

I lived in COS and met my wife when she lived in Littleton. We settled down in COS but kept using our TA in Littleton when we started cruising Regent (still use him, as a matter of fact). Used to ski a LOT but usually in the I-70 corridor. Skied in Telluride once and soaked in Pagosa but I never made it to Durango. I'm embarrassed to say that I missed a lot of stuff in CO because I was traveling around the rest of the planet every chance I got. Now I'm in SC and want to go back to the Western Slope to do some skiing. Funny how you never appreciate what ya got till it's gone. You live in a beautiful area, my friend. Beautiful indeed.

I know that this thread is about free laundry but it has made a turn to air, Scenic, etc. For anyone else reading this thread, we find Regent international air to be excellent IF you deviate (after all, what is $175/person when you spend thousands for the cruise)? We select our flights 270 days prior to the cruise when seats are available on all Regent contracted flights.

In terms of domestic air - if you think about it, domestic airlines are pretty bad to begin with - serving less than cafeteria food in First Class (at least this is the case of American and United) not enough flight attendants and those that are there are more interested in other things than providing good service to the passengers. So, it is any wonder that Regent can't get the type of contracts with domestic flights that they do for international flights?

Anyway, to sort of recap this repetitive thread:

1. There is a promotion for 2018 cruises in the Med. with included laundry. People that are not eligible for included laundry love it and it sounds as if the majority of Gold and above are not fond of the idea - especially if it slows down the laundry service.

2. There is something going on in the U.K. with free laundry. Those of us in North America had been upset with the "deals" given to the U.K. for a couple of years (at least) so this is not anything new (well, the promotion is but not special deals).

3. Some people that have not earned the laundry benefit would like some kind of set pricing for laundry. Perhaps Regent could just wash and fold and forget the ironing part for a better price?

4. One poster dislikes Regent's domestic air policy. IMO, this should be a separate thread. As indicated above, we find no issue with the policy. Try to get included business class air on other luxury cruise lines (don't think you will find it).

5. Scenic is probably a wonderful SMALL cruise line (mostly river cruising so far with the new ship debuting soon - I think). Again, although Scenic gives free laundry to some suite levels, I don't see what this has to do with Regent. Regent has earned laundry benefits, promotional benefits and benefits for long cruises. Their laundry is not based on suite level.

Other than repeating what has already been said a few times, am I missing anything?

We firmly agree with Mr. Dolebludger regarding the domestic flights. We are neither infirm nor elderly but the coach seats most certainly do not play into Regent's advertising of a luxury experience. I don't even believe that upcharges or points should have to be used. It should be seamless from start to finish. We are also not looking for or expecting a gourmet meal while flying and have not had any issues with service. We shouldn't have to hassle with air credit or deviation charges. This issue taints a very nice product.(in our opinion)

You can upgrade from coach to business class/first class on domestic flights through Regent but you will have to pay a pretty penny. If Regent is unable to secure reasonable contracts with domestic air carriers, either they raise the price of the cruise fares or passengers pay for the upgrade. It is a simple matter of costs. I believe that most of us know this to be true. Personally, we either take the domestic air credit (as low as it may be) or put it towards to airfare that we book ourselves.

Some of the requests that I'm seeing on this thread are fine but cost $$$. Either Regent is going to eat the costs or passengers will. Not a surprise as to who it will be. Most Regent/luxury cruisers can absorb the cost. However, if you think it is too expensive, try comparing it with luxury (or even premium plus) cruise lines that do not offer Business class air at all. Would love to hear from non-Regent cruisers that pay for their own airfare (international and domestic). Our last round-trip First Class airfare from Vancouver to Miami was $2,200 (paid with points). Had we upgraded with Regent, the cost would have been over $3,000. IMO, either we accept what Regent offers or we go elsewhere. Complaining about airfare is, IMO, useless because it affects their bottom line (not the case with other things that are within the control of Regent).

You can upgrade from coach to business class/first class on domestic flights through Regent but you will have to pay a pretty penny. If Regent is unable to secure reasonable contracts with domestic air carriers, either they raise the price of the cruise fares or passengers pay for the upgrade. It is a simple matter of costs. I believe that most of us know this to be true. Personally, we either take the domestic air credit (as low as it may be) or put it towards to airfare that we book ourselves.

Some of the requests that I'm seeing on this thread are fine but cost $$$. Either Regent is going to eat the costs or passengers will. Not a surprise as to who it will be. Most Regent/luxury cruisers can absorb the cost. However, if you think it is too expensive, try comparing it with luxury (or even premium plus) cruise lines that do not offer Business class air at all. Would love to hear from non-Regent cruisers that pay for their own airfare (international and domestic). Our last round-trip First Class airfare from Vancouver to Miami was $2,200 (paid with points). Had we upgraded with Regent, the cost would have been over $3,000. IMO, either we accept what Regent offers or we go elsewhere. Complaining about airfare is, IMO, useless because it affects their bottom line (not the case with other things that are within the control of Regent).

Opinions..opinions....We've all got them!

Price differentials between British and U.S, passengers is one thing and can be explained by exchange rate fluctuations and marketing considerations, but laundry? It seems that Brits will not get free laundry on med cruises next year. Are Americans dirtier than Brits or is it vice-versa!

Price differentials between British and U.S, passengers is one thing and can be explained by exchange rate fluctuations and marketing considerations, but laundry? It seems that Brits will not get free laundry on med cruises next year. Are Americans dirtier than Brits or is it vice-versa!

See post #87 - apparently it will be offered in the U.K.

Thanks Travelcat. Although I get frequent emails from Regent - 2 today - I have not had one mentioning free laundry. I am not bothered either way. We have used the laundry onboard the whole time both before we were gold on both Regent and Seabourn and since when we have become entitled to one bag per week between us. We have fun seeing how much we can stuff in one bag. We have always thought that the cost of laundry is trivial compared with that of the cruise. We would like Regent to introduce a free cruise after sailing a number of nights. We received this benefit from Seabourn after I think 100 or was it 150 nights. Much better than dozens of bags of laundry, and we did not even lose that benefit subsequently.

Thanks Travelcat. Although I get frequent emails from Regent - 2 today - I have not had one mentioning free laundry. I am not bothered either way. We have used the laundry onboard the whole time both before we were gold on both Regent and Seabourn and since when we have become entitled to one bag per week between us. We have fun seeing how much we can stuff in one bag. We have always thought that the cost of laundry is trivial compared with that of the cruise. We would like Regent to introduce a free cruise after sailing a number of nights. We received this benefit from Seabourn after I think 100 or was it 150 nights. Much better than dozens of bags of laundry, and we did not even lose that benefit subsequently.

What a great idea. The SSS benefits are pretty lame and a free cruise after 150 nights would be a great incentive to continue sailing.

Dolebudger is correct, however that rates have skyrocketed recently hence the amazing discounts offered to fill a sailing.

Radisson (Regent) could not make money at $200 pp/per diem but the move to $1,000 pp/per diem comes with a host of expectations as well.

I have written in the past about the UK/US price differential. We were on a cruise in 2014 where we paid our own air. The cruise only fare for 10 days was over $6,000 USD. We met numerous couples from the UK onboard that paid between GBP 1,700 - 2100 pp for the same cruise plus many of them received comp upgrades via their travel agents.

Lets be honest, i'm sure we would all love to get free laundry, free flight upgrades etc and why not if the opportunity arises?

I most probably would be miffed too if i had spent a lot of money accumulating benefits only for them to be given willy nilly to the first person to book a cruise on Regent. However, i don't begrudge folks taking the chance of a (maybe) one time offer as surely it could be beneficial to Regent in the long run for people in-between cruise lines and take a punt on a good offer. We started cruising Regent with an offer and are still there after 5 cruises.

Pam.

I cruised with Viking Ocean last July. I used the Viking Air program and flew business class Atlanta to London and Bergen to Atlanta. Cost was 4K pp.

On an upcoming Viking trip, Atlanta to Bangkok, Hong Kong to Atlanta the cost with Viking air s 4K pp in BC.

These costs put the trip very close to what we would pay on a similar Regent itinerary, about 3K less overall, but with an upper level room that includes..........laundry service!!! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I cruised with Viking Ocean last July. I used the Viking Air program and flew business class Atlanta to London and Bergen to Atlanta. Cost was 4K pp.

On an upcoming Viking trip, Atlanta to Bangkok, Hong Kong to Atlanta the cost with Viking air s 4K pp in BC.

These costs put the trip very close to what we would pay on a similar Regent itinerary, about 3K less overall, but with an upper level room that includes..........laundry service!!! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I completely "get it" - that is why we sailed on Oceania (not the laundry but having a huge suite.) Even with the Premium Alcohol package and paying for the internet package, the fare was lower than Regent (do not recall what we paid for business class air). Unfortunately, there were too many "class oriented" policies on Oceania plus the food didn't match up to Regent (except in the specialty restaurants) so we likely will not be sailing them again.

The cost for Viking's business class air is close to what we paid to do our own air on Cathay Pacific (same airline that Regent uses). We paid $4,250/person from Vancouver to Bali and return flights from Hong Kong (we will love the non-stop return flight:-).

I have read very good things about Viking and would consider them over Oceania but I would need to read their boards for a few months before deciding.

In terms of laundry, IMO, it will be like the promotional "free internet" that Regent offered before giving internet to everyone (yet another dilution of loyalty benefits). Once you have a benefit, you don't want to give it up. In the case of internet, it slowed down the internet for everyone (and it continues to be very slow). There is no doubt in my mind that the included laundry benefit will slow down service to those that have earned it.

Note about "earning" benefits. On some other thread a poster indicated that you don't work hard to attain these benefits. I strongly disagree. Whether you are on Carnival, Holland America or any other cruise line, most people work their butts off in order to be able to afford their cruises and eventually earn benefits. For those of us that are retired, it does not mean that we worked any less hard to be able to afford post-retirement cruising. Neither Regent nor posters should negate what goes into sailing a cruise line 21 nights, 75 nights, 200 nights, 400 nights, etc.

I believe someone earlier in the thread suggested other benefits for frequent guests like maybe a free cruise if one has earned enough status with a particular cruise line. would that outweigh the dilution of free benefits that others have spent a long time earning?

It seems harsh but maybe one shouldn't put all their eggs in a single basket as times change and businesse's need to look to the future to gain new growth and attract the next generation of big spending passengers. After all, the current generation of big spenders won't last forever.

Pam.

tallship, you know that I respect your opinion but I must strongly disagree with you on two points.

1. We do not feel that the Seven Seas Society benefits are "lame". For us they have been wonderful and worth the time that we have spent sailing on Regent.

2. IMO, if you think Regent would give a "free cruise" at 150 nights, IMO this is a pipe dream. Our Titanium benefits are not even worth a free cruise (and if you sail 1,000 nights you only get a 5% discount on the cruise).

Rather than give away a free cruise (worth thousands of dollars), it would behoove Regent to stop diluting the benefits that they have and find other ways to entice passengers to cruise with them.

They discounted rates in the U.K. and it must not have been successful in the long run as the discounts for the U.K. are no longer dramatic. Perhaps they could do a discount for first time cruisers IF they also book a second cruise.

For those that may not be paying attention onboard, there are a lot more Asian cruisers and younger passengers (30's+). So, they are already gaining new passengers that could potentially become loyal passengers and would be eligible for the benefits offered in the Seven Seas Society.

As I see it, the bottom line I that if you dilute the Seven Seas Society benefits, passengers no longer have a reason to be loyal. There needs to be something "special" at each level of the loyalty program - something that makes it worth cruising on Regent when a competitive luxury cruise line may offer the same itinerary. Regent had it right but now I wonder about the future!

We are on a "free laundry" voyage but we booked last summer. Final payment is due in 3 weeks. I have to call my TA about something else so will ask her if we receive the free laundry. Am tired of cruise lines holding my deposit money and then offering the late bookers a better deal. We didn't get the deck we wanted so it can't be that undersold. Maybe a new thing permanently?

We rarely use Regent or Silversea BC air deals, prefering to use miles. As Travelcat knows well Chase Sapphire Reserve offers super deals wherever u fly.

We are flying to Sydeny next December BC on Korean Air for 145K miles pp, and to Dublin (BC) in May for 50K pp. Expect to fly home (BC on Cathay Pacific) from the Mariner's Grand Voyage (Circumnavigation of Australia) next December for just 60K Alaska Air miles. Jackie, instead of paying $4K pp to fly to Bali from Vancouver, then home from Hong Kong..u could have used about 100K Alask air miles pp (easy to obtain via Alaska Visa or Starwood points transfer).

We rarely use Regent or Silversea BC air deals, prefering to use miles. As Travelcat knows well Chase Sapphire Reserve offers super deals wherever u fly.

We are flying to Sydeny next December BC on Korean Air for 145K miles pp, and to Dublin (BC) in May for 50K pp. Expect to fly home (BC on Cathay Pacific) from the Mariner's Grand Voyage (Circumnavigation of Australia) next December for just 60K Alaska Air miles. Jackie, instead of paying $4K pp to fly to Bali from Vancouver, then home from Hong Kong..u could have used about 100K Alask air miles pp (easy to obtain via Alaska Visa or Starwood points transfer).

Good idea Wes but we booked the flights months ago and fly in March. We used Alaska miles for years but haven't flown them much in a few years!

Regent email received this morning indicates that the free (i.e. included) laundry offer on Med cruises is about to be offered here in the UK:

"FREE laundry service and garment pressing on a wide selection of our 2018 Mediterranean sailings"

Today's email marketing from Regent in the UK:

"Explore the Mediterranean in luxury in 2018 aboard Seven Seas Voyager®, and take advantage of
reduced fares
PLUS a
free laundry service
and a
reduced 10% deposit
if you book by 31st January 2018"

Note: Normal deposit for guests booking in the UK is 20% (non-refundable)

Wonder what "a free laundry service" means. Doesn't sound like the "FREE Unlimited Valet Laundry Service" including pressing that was in the brochure that we read.

Sounds to me like ‘a bag’ of laundry. Better than nothing, but sure doesn’t sound unlimited.

Nothing like promotion confusion to endear themselves to their customers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like ‘a bag’ of laundry. Better than nothing, but sure doesn’t sound unlimited.

Nothing like promotion confusion to endear themselves to their customers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes - better than nothing and, if Regent has to give away Seven Seas Society benefits, it's nice that it is less than what we receive.

Not sure that Regent realizes that their U.K. guests share their promotions with the U.S. and visa versa.