Move over offer - a cautionary tale

abbydancer2003

We just finished the 3 day post-drydock cruise on the Star. It was a great cruise, from about dinner the first night on.

The cruise started Saturday. On Friday morning, we got a call from Princess offering us an onboard credit of about 40% of our fare if we'd switch from our mini-suite to a premium balcony. We took the offer, and printed up new luggage tags.

When we arrived on the ship, and went to our new room (which was confirmed when we checked in) only to discover that there was a different name on the door. The cards worked, but the room was set up for the other people - there was a case of water there that they'd apparently ordered, and a note that they'd prepaid their tips.

There was nothing in the room that we'd normally get, such as the platinum lounge schedule, bathroom amenities, sticker from the cruise, or the drink cards our friends got because there was no captain's circle party.

So, we headed to passenger services. They confirmed it was our room, and made a call to say that all would be taken care of.

So we headed off to lunch. When we returned, about 25 minutes before the muster drill, nothing had happened. Our room steward arrived, and thought we were the original people. When we explained we weren't, he had us write our names down, and told us that our luggage had arrived, but he sent it back since the names didn't match. He then left, saying he'd take care of it.

After muster, one bag arrived, but that was it. It had, in addition to my tags (in the holders we'd purchased) with the room number crossed out, a disembarkation tag (maroon 2 btw). I then went off meet some roll call friends, while DH stayed in the room. I called him just before we thought the ship was to leave, to tell him to go to passenger services about his bag. It had arrived, but with one tag missing. Apparently, they forgot to reattach it when they were crossing out the cabin number. Water was still there, nothing for us there.

Back to passenger services, where once again they promised to take care of everything. She also recommended that we could take to the Captain Circle host.

Walking to dinner we found the host, and asked her about the drink tickets. She said our room steward should have it. We explained the situation, and she gave it to us.

After dinner, back to the room, and the water was still there (our bathroom thing had arrived, but that was it).

We then called room service and asked them to take it away, since passenger services and our room steward apparently couldn't. Eventually they did, and thus ended our day. We never got any of the stuff you get for being platinum or elite, such as the lounge schedule, voyage sticker, etc.

So, if you are offered a downgrade as a move over, if the offer is good, take it, but be prepared to spend some time on board sorting things out.

We took the move over this week for the 12/16 Ruby. They upgraded us from a corner aft balcony to a club mini suite with 2 beverage packages. And, we got a 50% refund. Since we'll now go in March I hope we avoid the issues you had.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took the move over this week for the 12/16 Ruby. They upgraded us from a corner aft balcony to a club mini suite with 2 beverage packages. And, we got a 50% refund. Since we'll now go in March I hope we avoid the issues you had.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You probably won't because you're changing cruises, and they have lots of time to sort it all out. For us, I think it came from the last minute change on the same cruise.

So, if you are offered a downgrade as a move over, if the offer is good, take it, but be prepared to spend some time on board sorting things out.

We had a guarantee assigned the afternoon before sailing, and had many of the problems you did.

Water, excursion tickets, and welcome notes for the previous occupants were in the cabin.

No name tag for anyone when we arrived. Never got one.

But, for us, it wasn't nearly as hard to straighten out, as the issues you had.

Sorry you had such problems. I hope the rest of your cruise went well.

Just as an FYI - you took a downgrade offer. A "Move Over" offer is when the ship is oversold and Princess tries to entice you to cancel your cruise and then cruise another time.

Sorry you had such problems. I hope the rest of your cruise went well.

Just as an FYI - you took a downgrade offer. A "Move Over" offer is when the ship is oversold and Princess tries to entice you to cancel your cruise and then cruise another time.

The rest was great, yes.

And Princess called it a move over, so that's why I did.

The rest was great, yes.

And Princess called it a move over, so that's why I did.

Interesting they called it a move over offer. I guess they didn't want to call it a downgrade as that is a negative term. Either way... glad the rest of your cruise was great.

Wrong. I have received a "moveover offer" to downgrade my cabin from Mini-Suite to Balcony on the same cruise. "Moveover" is what Princess called it.

The stories I could tell about....what happens on land and what never in translated once in the terminal or on the ship.......no I am not a TA....but in the past 3 years I have cruised a lot with princess, no move overs, but have had moved my cabin last minute, been reassigned a cabin after my final payment and upgraded twice when I had no upgrade on my booking......So I am making up for everyone who has never had a problem...I chock it all up to traveling.....;)

And I could go on...luggage losted on ship so missed Princess departure tour in China and no one was available to help me, dress lost in laundry, hard case cracked by Princess vendor, every time I have the drink package and have a drink in a specialty restaurant I am charged(It is now gng on 4 cruises, one just 2 weeks ago), etc....etc...yep.....stuff happens...

But it makes be appreciate it when things go without a hitch like my recent cruise when we we had family come with us 4 minis in a row, perfect room attendant and dining room servers....weather was good and the few glitches were not even noticeable.And was pleasantly surprised by Share's new menu. Last Oct. we tried it 2 weeks B4 the menu change and what an improvement the new menu is.

Enjoy...L:Dri

Edited by land lover

The stories I could tell about....what happens on land and what never in translated once in the terminal or on the ship.......no I am not a TA....but in the past 3 years I have cruised a lot with princess, no move overs, but have had moved my cabin last minute, been reassigned a cabin after my final payment and upgraded twice when I had no upgrade on my booking......So I am making up for everyone who has never had a problem...I chock it all up to traveling.....;)

And I could go on...luggage lost on ship so miss departure tour in China, dress lost in laundry, hard case cracked by Princess vendor,Every time I have the drink package and have a drink in a specialty restaurant I am charged(It is now gng on 4 cruises, one just 2 weeks ago), etc....etc...yep.....stuff happens...

But it makes be appreciate it when things go without a hitch like my recent cruise when we we had family come with us 4 minis in a row, perfect room attendant and dining room servers....weather was good and the few glitches were not even noticeable.

Enjoy...L:Dri

We've had other glitcches such as you describe, usually easily fixed. Although we're still waiting for laundry that was lost in 2010 ....

abbydancer - What is a "voyage sticker"? I don't think I've ever noticed that before.

It's a little sticker with either the destination on it or the ship on a coastal with the captain's name on it. They provide this little (about 3x3) wallets that hold 15 with a place for notes. When I get home, I'll post a picture in a new post.

There's usually a folded card with "welcome back" on it, and the sticker's inside. I think you start getting them on your second cruise.

It's a little sticker with either the destination on it or the ship on a coastal with the captain's name on it. They provide this little (about 3x3) wallets that hold 15 with a place for notes. When I get home, I'll post a picture in a new post.

There's usually a folded card with "welcome back" on it, and the sticker's inside. I think you start getting them on your second cruise.

FYI- On our recent cruise on Pacific Princess we were told they are no longer placing the welcome back cards and stickers in the cabins. If you want them you need to visit the Captains Circle desk and request one.

i'm curious about this topic. did they oversell the minis? for princess to give back 40% there must be some kind of serious overbooking . what if no one took the move over. would they deny the person that wanted that mini boarding? i guess with advent of computers i dont get why this happens at all

Oh, that thing! I always thought it was just a tiny card inside the Welcome Back note card. I throw that away first thing when I get in the cabin. lol Next time, I'll look a little closer. It's too late to start saving them now for me, but I'm glad someone appreciates them. Thanks for the info.

i'm curious about this topic. did they oversell the minis? for princess to give back 40% there must be some kind of serious overbooking . what if no one took the move over. would they deny the person that wanted that mini boarding? i guess with advent of computers i dont get why this happens at all

I have suspected that someone, at the last minute, wanted to cruise with a mini-suite and, if one is not available, they will walk. I/m pretty sure that is how we get upgraded from connecting inside cabins (with our relatives), located down in steerage, to an ocean view. Worked great for us because we didn't want an inside cabin to start with but did it to be with them.

Other things I have heard is the Captain's wife's hairdresser's best friend wanted a mini suite (lol). In other words, someone with pull wants a mini suite and none available

And, of course, they could have oversold them as another poster noted or the computer screwed up and assigned it to two different people.

Yes - they expect a certain percentage to cancel so they purposely overbook. Similar to airlines that also over book (and so do hotels).

They just keep upping the offers until people accept. It is not uncommon for Princess to offer "a free cruise" at a later date (or multiple free cruises) or a free cabin if someone takes a downgrade.

Yes - they expect a certain percentage to cancel so they purposely overbook. Similar to airlines that also over book (and so do hotels).

They just keep upping the offers until people accept. It is not uncommon for Princess to offer "a free cruise" at a later date (or multiple free cruises) or a free cabin if someone takes a downgrade.

There actually were move over offers to a cruise in the spring. We didn't get one, but at least one person on the roll call for the cruise took it.

i never understood the airline thing either. dont most people have non refundable fares and if you dont show up they keep your money

but regarding the ship, once you get past final doesnt princess keep your money if you cancel?