Book via travel agent or directly at hollandamerica.com

Amowagou

A little off topic but... I always booked with HAL, and if I got any Mariner discounts, I wasn't aware of it. However, I got one fabulous upsell, on my second cruise. I tend to think that booking with HAL increased my chance of getting that (versus a random TA, anyway), and that a factor was that they may have thought if I had the taste of suite life, I might stick with it. The sad part of my theory is that the big data pegged me (accurately) as a frugal customer. I do use a TA lately (other lines) but if I had to re-do that second HAL booking, I sure wouldn't change anything.

We have used a Hal PCC for our last two cruises and before that we used the services of several local TA agents who did a good job for us, however we have liked the service we got from the Hal PCC, not to mention we saved on service charges that would have charged by the local TA. We booked the whole cruise, flights, hotel and transfers through Hal. It worked out very well, it was different than the local TA's. We basically had the word of the PCC that we had the flights, hotel and transfers (it was also on the boarding passes) but a TA would of had a lot paper confirmations for us. We were totally satisified with how Hal handled it. We had the services of an agent at the airport and hotel to help along the way. We did not get any special treatment (we are 4* mariners) or upgrades, non offered. We were okay with that too. We never got any discounts from our local TA's either. So I think it is what you are happy with that matters.

When we started cruising on HAL, we would just book through the website. Later we found out the website just offers limited cabin availabilty as well. I had wondered how to get additional OBC that is talked about on CC. During the short period of time while booking online, we also went through three PCCs that were assigned to us. The fourth one was finally able to hint that a PCC could provide "something." Unfortunately, he didn't last either.

Our fifth PCC is a long-term HAL employee that has worked with us for the past year. He is very responsive to our inquiries, and is always looking for a better deal on the cruises that we have already booked for the next two years. When booking a cruise now we either book future cruises while on a cruise so that the onboard FCC and PCC get the sale credit, or I might spot a getaway-type cruise and let my PCC use the FCD I have for down payment.

For us -- we prefer to book via a TA -- discounts and perks from her. Also when we use out American Express Platinum card to pay for the cruise, we get shipboard credit. If we were to book directly with HAL and use our American Express card, HAL will not give us that extra shipboard credit.

What was HAL'S and/or Amex's excuse for not give you the shipboard credit when you booked directly with HAL? I though most credit card benefits were attached to the card, not the booking agent.

You don't have to book onboard to get the credit. Buying a future cruise deposit will give you OBC's.

Booking on board doubles the OBC vs. using a Future Cruise Deposit.

If you use a FCD within 60 days of disembarking you can grab the ZPM promo to double the OBC, but that is a tight time frame.

If you know what cruise you want to take while you are cruising, there's no good reason not to book it right then and there.