Roll Calls

sandy toes

Hi everyone,

I don't know if it is just because of the holidays or if people are just not signing up for their Roll Calls.

In years past, lots of people were chatting away during the holidays, giving one another good wishes, as plans were being made to meet up and visit even before Carnival offered the Meet and Mingle get togethers.

Even if you are not on my upcoming cruise, PLEASE jump over to the Roll Call and check out all the folks you will be sailing with. You might find someone you know, make a new friend or just learn something new about your ship.

Hope you all had a great holiday season. We celebrated Christmas and it was wonderful. The girls were excited to learn about the cruise and are looking forward to it.

Wishing you ALL a Happy New Year!

I have experienced the same thing....the Roll Calls on CC are getting lesser and lesser attended. On my last CCL cruise, I finally figured it out when someone posted about 'receiving the Meet n Greet Tees' and I was totally confused as they had NEVER been discussed on CC Roll Call, so I asked about them and came to find out that the 'other site' (not allowed to be mentions on CC) was bigger and more attended than CC. When I went to the Meet n Greet, they were all from that OTHER site....had spreadsheets and sign ups for cabin crawls, slot pulls etc that were not mentioned on CC??? Very sad to me as I am NOT a member of that other site (as prehistoric as that may seem)!! Very sad!!! it is taking over CC :loudcry: :o

Social media options are no big secret, and combining that with censorship, people will flock to where they find the most benefit and least restrictions. People want to do what they want to do. If they are censored from what they want to do, they will navigate to where they can do what they want with the least restrictions. I'm not knocking CC, because CC has advantages, but that is reality that affects things like roll calls.

No doubt this thread will be deleted.

Hi guys, I am new to the site and haven't cruised in years. I joined another app site and did the roll call thing and asked questions and it was like crickets.....no one responded to anything I asked, so I stopped asking. I am excited about my cruise in April and wouldn't mind saying hello to the folks that will be sailing with me; I have checked into my roll call on this site.

I have no intention of using that other site for a roll call. Here, I have some anonymity. No one knows who I am, or where I live. If I post to a roll call, I don't need to worry about someone finding my house and breaking in while I'm gone since I'll be on a cruise. With the other site, no anonymity, and I don't trust the security settings with regards to privacy.

I've grown to like CC over the years and always enjoy living vivaciously through other peoples reviews, enjoy seeing people post their experiences, talk about things where I may or may not learn something. That being said, CC doesn't really have a great reputation outside of CC. I'm not knocking it or anything, just stating what I've observed. On CC you cannot communicate with one another and the censorship here is horrible. You cannot even say the name of the other site without getting a "warning" here. This isn't elementary school and we're not toddlers.

That being said, on my last cruise, there were close to 200 people on the social media roll call, and MAYBE 10 on the CC roll call? We all met up (coordinated between the 2 roll calls) and when we asked where was everyone from (CC or social media), there was literally 2 people from CC there. The rest was from the social media roll call group.

On our upcoming Magic cruise, we have I think 6 people signed up on CC (the last time I checked), we're at 163 on the social media group. On social media, the censorship isn't there like it is here, you can message one another, and keep up with one another much easier than you can on here. Not to mention, you can actually learn who people are, become friends with them, know the real people (as they portray on their profile) versus a screen name on here and nothing more. Just my 2 cents.

I hate that people have migrated to other sites as I find the CC roll calls (in the past) to be so much more user friendly. All comments are in chronological order so you always know where to begin reading new posts. On the other site, people respond to comments which may be anywhere in the list of umpteen posts. No way of knowing which posts to check for new comments.

The other site also identifies you to the point where it is just dumb to be posting the dates you will be away from home.

On our last 2 or 3 cruises we have tried roll calls on the sites alluded to in this thread. We lasted on them for maybe a week or two. We found that we were subjected to lots of useless chatter that made the few tidbits not worth the effort or distractions. Countdown clock after countdown clock, critiques of previous drives to the port, stories about past cruises, tee shirt discussions about names and artwork, constant discussions about past excursions from years ago, inane discussions of door decorations, best lanyard conversations, and constant discussions of meet and greets, pub crawl planning, slot pull rules and regulations, and plans for and cheating complaints about trivia, just left us wanting to run away from these people. So we did. Will never join a roll call again.

I think it's more that you can actually message ( private or publicly) , your choice there, on FB or cruise mates.

I check our CC roll call often with little to no action. And that's sad. I actually meet a couple on CC before a cruise 9 years ago who have become very god friends.

I've noticed that the social media roll calls are more active than here. I joined one for a cruise I was supposed to have taken this month, but we had to postpone. I haven't joined the social media one for my upcoming cruise since I kind of feel like 1025cruise does. Social media is just not a very safe place to announce that you're going to be gone for a week. One of my pet peeves with a neighbor is that he checks in everywhere he goes and tags anyone that is with him. I see lots of people count down days until they leave for vacation, post pics while on vacation, etc. I just don't think it's a good idea, even if you think you have your security settings set to private. There is no such thing as online privacy.

I have a separate account over there for cruising. Not because I’m afraid of someone breaking in as someone is always home, but because it’s none of anyone’s business where I go. I don’t need people I rarely talk to seeing I posted in such and such place. Then I get asked a million questions. I have learned to announce my cruises and vacations after I am back. It’s just less hassle that way.

I also agree that not being able to private message on here is a BIG deal. Makes no sense.

Ah, well, on the internet, things change. I once worked for a fairly busy cruise web site that started on CompuServe. Remember CompuServe? Essentially an internal communication medium for H&R Block that then went public. I can still go to the site, but it hasn't been updated since 2009. But it used to be a busy place. The same thing is true of our club's web site. It used to be extremely busy, and now it is like sitting in an empty cathedral. We have sites on social media, and those are going gangbusters. I would say Cruise Critic probably needs to get a higher profile on those media, and cross-promote. That is, if it's traffic they want.

On our last 2 or 3 cruises we have tried roll calls on the sites alluded to in this thread. We lasted on them for maybe a week or two. We found that we were subjected to lots of useless chatter that made the few tidbits not worth the effort or distractions. Countdown clock after countdown clock, critiques of previous drives to the port, stories about past cruises, tee shirt discussions about names and artwork, constant discussions about past excursions from years ago, inane discussions of door decorations, best lanyard conversations, and constant discussions of meet and greets, pub crawl planning, slot pull rules and regulations, and plans for and cheating complaints about trivia, just left us wanting to run away from these people. So we did. Will never join a roll call again.

What is the roll call page for? is it just to check in and be done? I am asking because I honestly don't know; there wasn't roll calls when i took my last cruise in 2006 - or i wasn't a part of one. I don't normally participate very much on these forum pages, but my upcoming cruise has sparked a lot of questions and I appreciate the experience of others before me, so are questions and conversations to be directed to another area? Thank you! :)

Ah, well, on the internet, things change. I once worked for a fairly busy cruise web site that started on CompuServe. Remember CompuServe? Essentially an internal communication medium for H&R Block that then went public. I can still go to the site, but it hasn't been updated since 2009. But it used to be a busy place. The same thing is true of our club's web site. It used to be extremely busy, and now it is like sitting in an empty cathedral. We have sites on social media, and those are going gangbusters. I would say Cruise Critic probably needs to get a higher profile on those media, and cross-promote. That is, if it's traffic they want.

I was a "Host" on CompuServe in several of their forums. lol

I find Cruise Critic to be much meaner and more argumentative than other social media. Due to the anonymity of CC people say things they might not say to their face. The availability to PM and set up shore excursions together is much easier. I have never felt paranoid about my house being robbed while on vacation. I just simply do not live my life like that.

I find Cruise Critic to be much meaner and more argumentative than other social media. Due to the anonymity of CC people say things they might not say to their face. The availability to PM and set up shore excursions together is much easier. I have never felt paranoid about my house being robbed while on vacation. I just simply do not live my life like that.

I agree with this. I feel like some people on CC think they are the “authority” of cruising and tend to be condescending if you ask a question .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're on a cruise in April and twice there has been a roll call started/posted and both times it disappeared. Don't know if that's due to lack of participation or what.

I started one for my April 28th cruise and I believe it disappeared because no one responded.

I agree. I don't know why some people have to act a fool on here. I'm the same online as I am in person - blunt, straightforward, and factual. Actually I think I might be a little bit nicer on here as to not get any warnings. Face to face I have no problem saying exactly what is on my mind. Some might not like it and I'm OK with that. I have no time or patience for sugar coating or beating around the bush. I tell it like it is and move on.

I started one for my April 28th cruise and I believe it disappeared because no one responded.

Admit it was slow but there were responses both times yet both times they still disappeared. The odd part is a roll call I started for the same ship (Fascination) is still there despite the cruise being cancelled. Oh well.:confused: