What I wish I would have known MSC Meraviglia

basketballdad

So we were onto day 4 of this 8 day cruise today stopping in Rome. We have some huge days planned for the next two days so we wanted to go hard but not crazy in Rome. Some great advice we received was to see a couple things well and not try to cram too much in. Also Rome is a town you could spend weeks exploring.

Our initial plans were to take the train in and do the hop off hope on bus for about 45 euro total per person counting the 2 euro shuttle to train.

However, as we got off the free peir shuttle we saw some tour vendors of to the side. We decided to do one that was 25 euro per person that took us into Rome to 3 stops. First was the collesum for 1 hour, then over the Vatican for a bit, then over by Trevi Fountain for more. Then back to ship with an hour to spare.

This was a pretty stress free way to do Rome for part of a day from the ship. There were no train hassles, and no waiting for the hop off hop on bus. For us it went smooth and was a great choice. The driver dropped us off and told us what time to meet back at.

We might have cheated but we downloaded the free Roma app and listened to the same short narrations of the different sights that the hoho busses use.

4 of us shared a large pizza and a large container of water for about 13 euros for a light lunch. Got some treats and but too many clothes and then hit the van back.

The reason this worked for us is that it was cheaper than original plans. It also let us see Rome coming in and out from the street, not the train that might be underground or view blocked near city center. And getting around the city was stress free as they dropped and picked us up at 3 separate areas and gave us a map. The driver highlighted for me the top sites nearby and wrote the time to return as he sensed I was older than what I am.

We stopped into a church that was open. Many talk about orenate. Also was at Saint Peters Square while the Pope gave his New Years day speech!

The tour guide drove a 16 passenger orange van and again, this was a good and stress free option for us for about half the price we had planned on spending. And a lot less than the ships option of Rome on your own that didn't include the stops and pick up at different parts of the city.

Since there were several vendors outside the gate of the free peir shuttle, be sure to ask around for the price and tour that best fit you. Why hassle with a train and standing if it is full?

What is the name of the tour vendor? We will be there in 03/2018.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

There are several and I don't want to promote 1.

Just found out due to weather we are not leaving port for 24 hours ! Glad we didn't pre book non ship tours

Just found out due to weather we are not leaving port for 24 hours ! Glad we didn't pre book non ship tours

If you want to go to Rome again tomorrow, I could recommend you to give the train a chance :)

It is really very convenient and we did it 3 times already and never had a problem with getting seats.

But don´t use this ridiculous harbour shuttle that brings you far away from the train station. Just walk from the ship and then turn right at the small roundabout.

May just chill tomorrow on the boat. Not a ton of activities and as I mentioned this ship severely lacks venues for bands and things. Not a lot of bars, clubs, etc.

What was good was the show Magic Friends. Saw it for the 2nd time tonight. They really don't scan cards sometimes to get in. We really liked this show!

Hi Nikki

Personally I would much prefer a ship with fewer Americans. One with 90% American passengers would not be one I would book!

That is what is nice about MSC the diversity!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So in palermo, the ship had a couple tours but again street vendors outside the port had much better deals. The ship waneed 59 euro for basic tour, 5 of us did essentially same tour for 14 euro each with a little negotation. Had a private van with 5 us. Google translate helped a little. The catcombs was weird but very memorable. A good discount store my teenagers bought sweaters, coats, shoes, etc, is ACOTT.

(Much, like the blank stare I got in an Pub in Ireland when I asked for..(gasp!!) my Irish whiskey served OVER ice !!)

I've no idea where in Ireland you were, but I can assure you that ice is readily available everywhere. There is nothing surprising about someone requesting their whiskey on ice. Maybe it was someone yanking your chain - we do like to poke fun at some of the Americans views of us.

I've no idea where in Ireland you were, but I can assure you that ice is readily available everywhere. There is nothing surprising about someone requesting their whiskey on ice. Maybe it was someone yanking your chain - we do like to poke fun at some of the Americans views of us.

Here in Scotland it would be considered sacrilegious to serve a single malt (Islay etc.) with ice, presumably in much the same way wine aficionados would say you can't have red wine with fish. They probably were joking that ice would 'blunt' the full flavour of a good whisky? Unless it was a blend of course!

Perhaps, you're right.;p He may have been having 'a-bit-o'-fun' at the American's expense. OR he may have wondered, 'WHO would dilute such a WONDEFUL Irish whiskey, as Jameson is, with WATER !!':rolleyes:Enjoyed the whiskey so much I brought 2 bottles back !

Mac

So finally we had something different on day 6 at the buffet. Seriously it is the same food every day. To the very inch. Except one spot called ethic food. Today it was Mexican and the nacho chips and guacamole were gone within the hour. People here are do wanting variety, at least the ones in our cabin. Here on an unscheduled stop in Palma... sure hated to miss Maltw, but it looks fun here

Enjoying your review[emoji846] I have two teens and are considering the same cruise next summer or fall 2018.

Question- are you able to use your credit card to pay the vendors? I don’t like to carry around a lot of cash with me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoying your review[emoji846] I have two teens and are considering the same cruise next summer or fall 2018.

Question- are you able to use your credit card to pay the vendors? I don’t like to carry around a lot of cash with me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using

Forums

In Barcelona yes, cabs to credit cards, etc. Everywhere else, except for stores and restuaruants, they want euros. We bought some candy on Rome and the store had a 10 euro min to run my card so we bought stuff we didn't want cause we were traveling with small amount of cash.

More cash less credit cards is the matra here it seems.

Disembarked the Meraviglia on 31.12.17 (EUROPEAN Way of listing the date,lol)With regard to American bookings getting complementary Bottled water in the dining room, YES it is true! If you make sure you go into the webpage and add the free bottled water package to your booking, which is what I did for every member of our party of eight, it was no issues. EACH passenger was able to get a ONE LITER bottle of Mineral Water(Aqua Panna for Still, a Nestle Brand for Sparking) at the main dining room or specialty restaurant for Lunch or Dinner. They did need at least One Stateroom card to scan but you are not charged for it. The water normally is 2.90 Euro a bottle. Whatever you can't finish you can take with you. We even had several unopened bottles which we took to use in the cabin. The POLICY STATES EACH Stateroom passenger is entitled to a bottle of water, so that's what we requested at each meal!

HELPFUL HINT:

For those on the Fantastica Experience which includes a 12 ticket drink coupon book, there is an UNADVERTISED special: Normally you need one ticket for a glass of wine from the Drinks Menu from the Wines By The Glass Section.BUT in the dining room you can get a full bottle for only 5 drink tickets! The selection is limited to the same wines as by the glass. Now you know!

Helpful Hint:

*EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER if you book it before you go on your cruise!

*If you want to book the Thermal Suite Spa pass for the entire cruise, BOOK BEFORE YOU GET ON THE SHIP AT HOME and look for SPA 1512 package. That is a 30 minute Bali Massage(Back,shoulders,legs) PLUS the Spa access for the week for only $99! That's only $5 more than just ordering the spa access package pre-cruise! On the ship they run specials for the 30 min. massage at 59 Euros! Spa access is 120 Euros for the week on the ship PLUS a 15% service fee!

Disembarked the Meraviglia on 31.12.17 (EUROPEAN Way of listing the date,lol)With regard to American bookings getting complementary Bottled water in the dining room, YES it is true! If you make sure you go into the webpage and add the free bottled water package to your booking, which is what I did for every member of our party of eight, it was no issues. EACH passenger was able to get a ONE LITER bottle of Mineral Water(Aqua Panna for Still, a Nestle Brand for Sparking) at the main dining room or specialty restaurant for Lunch or Dinner. They did need at least One Stateroom card to scan but you are not charged for it. The water normally is 2.90 Euro a bottle. Whatever you can't finish you can take with you. We even had several unopened bottles which we took to use in the cabin. The POLICY STATES EACH Stateroom passenger is entitled to a bottle of water, so that's what we requested at each meal!

HELPFUL HINT:

For those on the Fantastica Experience which includes a 12 ticket drink coupon book, there is an UNADVERTISED special: Normally you need one ticket for a glass of wine from the Drinks Menu from the Wines By The Glass Section.BUT in the dining room you can get a full bottle for only 5 drink tickets! The selection is limited to the same wines as by the glass. Now you know!

Helpful info. Thx.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Disembarked the Meraviglia on 31.12.17 (EUROPEAN Way of listing the date,lol)With regard to American bookings getting complementary Bottled water in the dining room, YES it is true!

We are really thinking of booking with MSC USA in the future to enjoy these great benefits :halo:

Prices difficult to compare, because on the US websites they don´t show the real prices, there is a fine print "Government fees and taxes (GFT) are additional for each guest". And I guess also harbour taxes will be added. So if they advertise for example $969 what will be the real price?

Basketballdad,

Thank you for your review. Do you think your experience would be different/worse if you were Bella class?

I have never cruised MSC and am quite concerned, reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites the reviews are really bad. I have two 11 day cruises back to back in April booked.

We've cruised many times but on American lines (Celebrity, NCL, RC etc) so that's what we are used to. Many reviews say the quality of the food is poor. My travel companion is a foodie. They also talk about having no free drinks (coffee, tea, juice, water) and small portions. On other cruiselines you can order as many dishes as you like.

The portions of good were fine. We ordered 2 deserts and such.

Frankly I think the biggest issue is that it was different. Having to ask and clarify you get water, still water. Not the venues or music, but hey, they got 15 languages they are juggling. The crew was good. The ship awesome. The ports good. The food medium to poor, the activities generally poor.. a few great shows including the beatles, the magic friends, etc... but little else. No movies without paiYing 8 euro. The ropes course was fun.

I think in warmer weather it would be more fun with the outdoor slides and pools.