Thoughts on Epic?

ShakerFamily

We’ve only sailed with RC’s Enchantment. However NW’s Epic is now in our local Port. Thoughts on the ship, rooms, entertainment? What is free, what are additional charges? Please share your experience! :)

Lots of information already available that will help you. Check out the Epic on the NCL web site to see all the available entertainment, dining options and activities. Also check out the Review section here on Cruise Critic.

After that you'll probably have more specific questions that folks will be glad to answer.

I just debarked the Epic yesterday. We had a wonderful cruise and LOVED the ship. We were in the Haven, so that may have made a difference. But, I found Epic easy to navigate, there was always a lot going on, the food was great in both the Haven/specialty restaurants, as well as the complimentary venues. I peaked in the balcony cabins and they looked very nice. It seems that people either love or hate the Epic, as it is a very different kind of ship. It was my first cruise on a mega ship and we loved it. We will definitely sail her again!

Edited by FLcruisergrl

Just start scrolling. There are probably hundreds of Epic threads on here. With opinions ranging from the best ship every made to the worst ship every made. I did a Med cruise on her in 2016 and thought it was fine. But, I don't get all worked up either way on the ship. It took me where I wanted to go, food was fine, ac worked and cabin was sufficient for my needs.

Check out You Tube regarding the Epic bathrooms - that way if you do decide to book a cruise on the Epic you won't be surprised. I personally did not like the cabin lay out - especially the bathrooms, but a lot of people are not bothered by them. I also missed having an outside open promenade to walk. On these boards I once saw someone compare the Epic to a sailing hotel, and that seemed to be a good description. The food was good, the entertainment excellent.

We like the Epic. We have sailed on her 7 times (Mediterranean, Western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, Iberian Peninsula) and would sail on her again at time.

Free: 2 complimentary main dining rooms, O'Shehan's Grill, Buffet, Asian Restaurant.

Entertainment Free: 2 Broadway shows (Pricilla, Burn the Floor), Comedy shows, lots and lots of entertainment.

Additional Charge: Cirque dinner show. Wine Lovers Lunch show. All specialty dining. (you can have a wonderful cruise without spending money on any of these).

I just debarked the Epic yesterday. We had a wonderful cruise and LOVED the ship. We were in the Haven, so that may have made a difference. But, I found Epic easy to navigate, there was always a lot going on, the food was great in both the Haven/specialty restaurants, as well as the complimentary venues. I peaked in the balcony cabins and they looked very nice. It seems that people either love or hate the Epic, as it is a very different kind of ship. It was my first cruise on a mega ship and we loved it. We will definitely sail her again!

Exactly you were in the Haven (as do we) It is a completely different experience and not representative of the Epic unless you are in the Haven. DO NOT judge the Epic on the Haven unless you are going to stay there

Exactly you were in the Haven (as do we) It is a completely different experience and not representative of the Epic unless you are in the Haven. DO NOT judge the Epic on the Haven unless you are going to stay there

I see what you’re saying, but believe we got a decent feel for the rest of the ship, as our suite was not in the Haven proper. I’m sure I would’ve hated the lines to embark/disembark, but there were plenty of non-Haven things that we really liked. O’Sheehans was always hopping and had pretty good sports bar food, my hubby ate in the Garden Café and really liked it, and we loved Escape the Big Top. We did most of our booking prior to the cruise and the rest via the TV, never used the concierge for anything other than beating the lines in port. The Haven pool WAS the best part, though!

Check out You Tube regarding the Epic bathrooms - that way if you do decide to book a cruise on the Epic you won't be surprised. I personally did not like the cabin lay out - especially the bathrooms, but a lot of people are not bothered by them. I also missed having an outside open promenade to walk. On these boards I once saw someone compare the Epic to a sailing hotel, and that seemed to be a good description. The food was good, the entertainment excellent.

We loved the Epic, but too felt the same way about not really having an “outdoor” space to walk. There is a track on one side of the ship, but it’s on the same level as the lifeboats. So if you are looking for a place to walk with a view, you will have to stick to the top level where are of the sun chairs and pools/slides are.

I heard someone compare it to a floating resort as well and would agree. There is such a variety of things to do and more than enough free activities. If everything is booked, just get in the stand-by line 15-30 minutes before the activity. We got in every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Epic in March and loved it. The Cirque show was wonderful and the Thai chili wings in O'Sheehans were a favorite. I like the perks offered when booking. I do not think I would have gotten the drink package if it was not included (you just have to pay the gratuity). The specialty restaurants are worth the price, I never had a bad meal, but the dining room food is perfectly fine if you do not want to pay extra. The buffet is really nice, I like the hard ice cream for dessert. The ice bar is unique, the shows are very well done. I saw Burn the Floor twice. Priscilla was excellent, but know the show before going in. It is not suitable for young children. This was my first on NCL, I came home and canceled my next cruise on another line and am leaving on the Escape next month.

I have sailed the Epic 6 times, twice in the Haven and four times not. I really enjoy the Epic, as do thousands of passengers every week.

O what basis do you make this assertion. We have sailed Epic significantly more times than you and try it in Europe peak season not in Haven

I see what you’re saying, but believe we got a decent feel for the rest of the ship, as our suite was not in the Haven proper. I’m sure I would’ve hated the lines to embark/disembark, but there were plenty of non-Haven things that we really liked. O’Sheehans was always hopping and had pretty good sports bar food, my hubby ate in the Garden Café and really liked it, and we loved Escape the Big Top. We did most of our booking prior to the cruise and the rest via the TV, never used the concierge for anything other than beating the lines in port. The Haven pool WAS the best part, though!

And you had the concierge to get you the best seats - right? And yes the pool is lovely next to the Hot tubs

We’ve only sailed with RC’s Enchantment. However NW’s Epic is now in our local Port. Thoughts on the ship, rooms, entertainment? What is free, what are additional charges? Please share your experience! :)

I sailed for the first time on Epic (in a studio) out of Port Canaveral last January, and on Enchantment in March. I knew what to expect with Epic (size, quirky layout, etc) going in, and though I was a bit leery about it, I ended up LOVING it - so much so that I’m booked again in December.

I didn’t have Haven perks this time but am Platinum, and had the Studio Lounge and Thermal Suite pass. I say this not to boast about Latitudes status, but to inform since I had less wait times for certain things (tenders) and additional places to hide from crowds (I need my down time as a huge introvert.) Even with the crowds and occasional long wait for elevators, I had a wonderful time. Going in armed with knowledge is my best advice. Know where to expect lines/crowds, and go in the other direction. :D

Our 1st NCL was the Epic Transatlantic last April. Regular balcony, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT! Booked on it again this coming November for return TA. And, eyeing April 2019 TA.

So many people on the TA were repeat Epic cruisers. And to my knowledge I was hanging out with and talking to regular folks, not the Haven folks! :cool:

Like someone said, even with the bathroom setup being unusual, they continue to fill this ship. Booked the majority of entertainment prior to sailing. And even went to some shows without reservations and made it in each time. Never tried specialty restaurants, enjoyed the numerous included options.

We've sailed both. The crowd size is the major difference, as far as I'm concerned. It was nice not to have to make reservations for anything on the Enchantment. Specialty dining and shows need reservations on the Epic. Some shows are an up-charge as well as specialty dining.

We had an interior on Enchantment and a balcony on Epic. Not easy to compare, but the balcony room walls are curved on the Epic and the beds are a bit shorter. Anyone over 5'8 might be uncomfortable sleeping. Additionally, the layout of the bathrooms on the Epic is a little different. Shower on one side of the room, toilet closet on the other. Sink in the room, next to the shower stall.

I'm not much of a drinker but I do enjoy the fruity, frozen drinks on board. I did prefer the Enchantment's drink selection, but that's sort of a personal thing.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Our 1st NCL was the Epic Transatlantic last April. Regular balcony, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT! Booked on it again this coming November for return TA. And, eyeing April 2019 TA.

So many people on the TA were repeat Epic cruisers. And to my knowledge I was hanging out with and talking to regular folks, not the Haven folks! :cool:

Like someone said, even with the bathroom setup being unusual, they continue to fill this ship. Booked the majority of entertainment prior to sailing. And even went to some shows without reservations and made it in each time. Never tried specialty restaurants, enjoyed the numerous included options.

I agree they are filling the ship but look at the prices.The yield of the ship is not good as the premium al inclusive has pushed the UK prices up so far that RC and MSC are eating into NCL customers from here. Of course if you are an NCL product fan then price may be less sensitive but out of season NCL fares for Epic are low.

The TA ia a different thing entirely and yes there are a lot of repeat cruisers. If the ship was so successful as you claim it would have been kept year round as originally pressed in US. It is not.

Keep filling the ship yes but at any price I could fill it to week in week out so filling is NOT a relevant KPI but passenger yield is.

I agree they are filling the ship but look at the prices.The yield of the ship is not good as the premium al inclusive has pushed the UK prices up so far that RC and MSC are eating into NCL customers from here. Of course if you are an NCL product fan then price may be less sensitive but out of season NCL fares for Epic are low.

The TA ia a different thing entirely and yes there are a lot of repeat cruisers. If the ship was so successful as you claim it would have been kept year round as originally pressed in US. It is not.

Keep filling the ship yes but at any price I could fill it to week in week out so filling is NOT a relevant KPI but passenger yield is.

I don't worry about "passenger yield", not really sure what that is, my point for the OP is thousands of passengers have sailed on the Epic and enjoyed it enough to do it again.

I don't worry about "passenger yield", not really sure what that is, my point for the OP is thousands of passengers have sailed on the Epic and enjoyed it enough to do it again.

As I say what basis do you say thousands. Yes the evidence is there are some but thousands.

What I am driving at it is meaningless. I could say there are thousands who dislike dislike dislike it but on what foundation can I make such a valued judgement. The same as yours - none. Even if it 5,000 considering the Epic has at peak times 4,500 pax a few thousand repeat customers is somewhat dire.

Maybe you need to ask NCL where Epic is in the fleet ratings.

Some things are simply subjective.

My husband and I sailed the Epic twice. One was a Med cruise, one was trans-Atlantic.

We both agreed we would try to avoid the Epic from then on. We did not become any more comfortable with the odd layout, and the frosted glass doors on the bathroom (right by the front door), and we just thought the lighting in the room was horrible -- so dark.

Service in the Dining Room(s) was slow. And the bowling alleys seemed like such a waste of space.

That doesn't mean we didn't have a wonderful time on our cruise...we have always enjoyed our cruises, but the Epic just didn't hit all the marks for us. We preferred our last cruise on the NCL Jade more (back-to-back-to-back). Hoping we will also like the Star this Fall on our back-to-back-to-back-to-back that begins in Venice and winds up in Los Angeles, California!

As I say what basis do you say thousands. Yes the evidence is there are some but thousands.

What I am driving at it is meaningless. I could say there are thousands who dislike dislike dislike it but on what foundation can I make such a valued judgement. The same as yours - none. Even if it 5,000 considering the Epic has at peak times 4,500 pax a few thousand repeat customers is somewhat dire.

Maybe you need to ask NCL where Epic is in the fleet ratings.

I agree that thousands must hate it. I was only giving the OP "MY" opinion. Isn't that what he asked for?

It is posters similar to yourself that drive me bananas here on cruise critic. You feel the need to fight us on things, just because we don't agree with you. If the Epic works for me, why should I care where it is ranked in fleet rating?

One poster dimissed my comments because they said things are different on a Transatlantic. Well since you are on it for 13-15 days, it must work well for the repeat TA Epic cruisers.

I agree that thousands must hate it. I was only giving the OP "MY" opinion. Isn't that what he asked for?

It is posters similar to yourself that drive me bananas here on cruise critic. You feel the need to fight us on things, just because we don't agree with you. If the Epic works for me, why should I care where it is ranked in fleet rating?

One poster dimissed my comments because they said things are different on a Transatlantic. Well since you are on it for 13-15 days, it must work well for the repeat TA Epic cruisers.

I have never disagreed with you if you loved it great . But it is the taking it further. I do not need to fight. All I am saying that you can not make a subjective judgement that just because thousands like it must be fantastic.

We are are Platinum Plus closing I on ambassador ( not really certain that will benefit us) and love the NCL product but we remain balanced - it is that simple we have great cruises on Epic and recently not so good