Ladies do you wear your formal wear for more than 1 cruise?

mcchane1

We have BOXES of photos of cruises and if we had the money we spent on photos on our first few cruises, we could afford a couple more cruises. Now, we usually skip the purchase of the ship's photos unless it's a really good one and then we only get the one photo. When we get home, we do a Shutterfly photo book with captions. They are wonderful and we love the less formal photos, photos of all the locations and some very funny moments we enjoyed. One of the funny things we discovered is my "cruise wardrobe" since I take many of the same clothes cruise after cruise. I have my "hot as the sun" tops and my "the deck was really chilly" wraps that I carry on each cruise. Doesn't take anything away from the cruise experience.

I never dress up outside a cruise ship, so a cruise is my one and only time to dress up. I say go for it. Buy yourself a nice gown and enjoy yourself. For me, I would wear it again on another cruise no question.

So far I have not actually bought a bonafide evening gown (yet) but it is on my bucket list of things to do. So far I dress up a maxi dress with jewelry and a sparkly shrug jacket. But some day I will splurge and actually buy a gown!

After the holidays is the perfect time to go. Also after prom season. Just saw some at Nordstrom Rack for CHEAP! Glittery, pearls, anything you could ask! Also check out consignment shops! I buy one like this every so often to feel “special”. Although sometimes I wear just one twice in the same cruise to save space. Plus we dine at different restaurants on the 2 formal nights. Besides no one cares! Do it for YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if people dress up more on Australian and New Zealand and/or transatlantic cruises?

Transatlantic cruises, in our experience, are much dressier than Caribbean/Alaskan/New England cruises.

I wish I could answer about A/NZ, but I've only done that on a freighter. We did dress for dinner each night then, but that was sundresses, after a day in shorts.

I used to wear gowns when I first started cruising, but so many things have changed over the years and I feel the elegance has disappeared from the main stream cruise lines. I now wear dress pants with a fancy top and jewelry. I do not like to be conspicuous and wearing a gown today, while someone at the table is in shorts, takes away from the experience for me. Also, I think when women wear gowns, their husbands/significant others should wear a tux, but rarely does that happen any longer. More often men are just wearing dress pants, dress shirts and some wear a tie. Suits aren't even seen much these days and, to me, it seems silly to see a woman dressed in a gown and the husband with her not dressed in formal attire. I know in this day and age, anything goes and I think decorum is pretty much gone, so I wouldn't buy a gown to wear on a formal night. JMO.

I used to wear gowns when I first started cruising, but so many things have changed over the years and I feel the elegance has disappeared from the main stream cruise lines. I now wear dress pants with a fancy top and jewelry. I do not like to be conspicuous and wearing a gown today, while someone at the table is in shorts, takes away from the experience for me. Also, I think when women wear gowns, their husbands/significant others should wear a tux, but rarely does that happen any longer. More often men are just wearing dress pants, dress shirts and some wear a tie. Suits aren't even seen much these days and, to me, it seems silly to see a woman dressed in a gown and the husband with her not dressed in formal attire. I know in this day and age, anything goes and I think decorum is pretty much gone, so I wouldn't buy a gown to wear on a formal night. JMO.

Your first problem is letting someone else take away from your experience. You're not doing it right.

You be you. You control your fun and don't worry about the rest of the world.

[quote name=mollyeilis;54932401

I would be so irked to feel the need to dress for those women' date=' especially since the husbands are wearing the same thing each time. But I know that being a military wife isn’t easy, and you do get your picture taken. So that’s one exception. :)[/quote]

It isn't that bad. I don't dress for them as much as to avoid the comment of "couldn't he have bought her a dress" crap. As if my husband shops for me or has much of a say in what I wear. This is why I rotate dresses. I am actually down to 2 formal gown and one cocktail dress after the last move. I guess I will be watching for the sales. My most expensive dress was $70. It will never go on vacation, as it is too bulky to deal with packing. It is also sleeveless and less comfortable to do a lot of walking around. If it wasn't so pretty, I would get rid of it.

Does anyone know if people dress up more on Australian and New Zealand and/or transatlantic cruises?

We did an Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific cruise this past April. I can only compare it to the Caribbean because that is all we have done so far. It's just so easy for us to hop on a Caribbean cruise since we live in Ft. Lauderdale, but we are now going to other places. Anyway, I think it's more dressy and more people dress up at least compared to the Caribbean.

I actually just signed up about an hour ago for another one this October. I will be bringing several gowns again. Even with flying and baggage cost I will still sure I bring them.

Your first problem is letting someone else take away from your experience. You're not doing it right.

You be you. You control your fun and don't worry about the rest of the world.

Absolutely true. I don't see as many people dressing up as before and some in just what I would call down right crappy for a formal night in the MDR. Yes I know people can do what they want but seriously? Jeans, tennis shoes and a ball cap? If that is their dressy then I would hate to see their casual. Just go to a thrift store or ebay, or look for sales after the holidays and buy something.

I would much rather be the one who is dressed Up than the one who is dressed Down on a formal/gala/chic night.

DH loves to wear his tuxedo ("Bond, James Bond"), so I try my best to match his formality.

I don't have any formal dresses like "gowns" but I have dresses that are dressy enough to wear on Formal night.

And no. I don't tend to wear the same dress on formal night on multiple cruises. I'm not sure why but I prefer having a new dress for each cruise.

I think with most airlines doing away with the "free" carry on, it gets harder and harder to justify bringing gowns and dresses and such on cruises. Just recently been implementing the Rick Steves way of packing and could never go back bringing so much stuff on a cruise. I have a checked bag for the 9 day one I have upcoming, but only because of the liquid rules for air travel...but I typically don't check a bag, and if I don't check a bag, I don't bring formal wear!

We have always dressed up for formal night but never actually in “formal wear”. I was thinking about getting a long formal dress but not sure I can justify $200 to only wear once. I would have no reason to wear a gown on land :). I’m thinking if I wore it for a couple cruises maybe. What is everyone else’s experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have worn the same 5 formal gowns on cruises for at least 15 years. Will continue to wear them until they wear out. Will not buy any new ones. If they all wear out, will go to a cocktail dress instead.

I was a military protocol officer for 30 years (as a civilian). I have oodles of very formal gowns (all with pockets), 5 women’s tuxedos (skirt), & I’ve gone to black silk slacks & a sparkly jacket for cruises about 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have worn the same 5 formal gowns on cruises for at least 15 years. Will continue to wear them until they wear out. Will not buy any new ones. If they all wear out, will go to a cocktail dress instead.

Cheers to you sister that they still fit!!! And after all those cruises. I'm impressed[emoji3]!!

the formal nights are "Ship wide" so you won't look out of place dressed up anywhere on the ship! usually i just take a pair of dress pants and a nice shirt these days or a short simple dress, but you can get away with jeans and a shirt if you want as well...like you said, to each their own! I personally don't get bothered by what anyone wears on a cruise, especially in the dining room...I'm too focused on my plate :hearteyes:

Perfect! I'm a black slinky knit pant, sparkly top (that won't wrinkle!) kind of gal myself for formal wear. Sounds like that will do fine. Thank you for the input! Now what do do with the Mr...

Perfect! I'm a black slinky knit pant, sparkly top (that won't wrinkle!) kind of gal myself for formal wear. Sounds like that will do fine. Thank you for the input! Now what do do with the Mr...

My husband does his close toed brown shoes he wears to work, a polo, and khaki pants [emoji1]

I usually rotate between 3 formal dresses that I have. I only participate in the 1st formal night these days and I only cruise once a year, so that works for me. When they don't fit anymore or it's a special occassion, then I'll buy something new.

I love wearing my formal gowns - currently have 4 of them (priced from $18 (Ross) to $65.(Dilliard's). We cruise three times each winter so I rotate them. It makes me feel great to get glammed up for an evening. My DH bought a tux in 2004 and wears it on ever cruise. :)

Of course I were it on several cruises and on land if need to.

The only problem I see... if you buy photos from every cruise and don’t want to have photos in the same dress. Not a problem for me as I don’t.

Of course I were it on several cruises and on land if need to.

The only problem I see... if you buy photos from every cruise and don’t want to have photos in the same dress. Not a problem for me as I don’t.

Well, for me the outfit may be the same but the face keeps changing - I wonder why? :(

Well, for me the outfit may be the same but the face keeps changing - I wonder why? :(

Well... we cruise plus/minus 5 times per year lately, so while my face must be changing ... I hope not that rapidly. :) :) :)

I don't understand why anyone would spend that much money (or any amount, for that matter) on an outfit that they only wear once. Why, ladies, is it that you would only wear an outfit one time?

You CAN'T understand. You are a guy. It is a girl thing.

Just leave it and accept it. :D

My husband is also military. If someone looked down on me for wearing the same dress again I'd probably ask them what little they have going on to even notice. I know it's easier said than done to say, "don't worry about what other people think," so I do wish you luck and I hope these types of ladies aren't the ones you make friends with. I don't get involved in FRG and such things, so I keep my friend group small, and it extends outside of the military. I know some great ladies through church and work. Sorry, I know that's off topic a bit, but those ladies need to learn how to stick up for one another versus being concerned with someone rewearing a dress. Honestly, it means that person isn't wearing the same dress they are if they get a new one every year.... rant complete.

Well... after reading all the comments, I think I'm more confused than before! ;-) My DH and I are taking our first cruise in April to celebrate our 30th anniversary (8 day Caribbean on FOTS) and we were wondering about "formal" nights. It doesn't sound like formal is so formal anymore. I originally told my hubby he'd have to rent a tux and I needed a sequined floor length gown. I take it we'd be the odd ones out in such attire? It sounds like even a nice suit and a sparkly/sequined cocktail dress would be in the minority?