Must buy items in Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel?!

rissawey2015

I second the suggestions of Blue Mountain coffee in Jamaica and vanilla in Cozumel. With respect to the latter, I'm very partial to Los Cinco Soles, which has a store at Puerta Maya. You want to make sure the vanilla is coumarin-free, so look out for "bargain" vanilla that might contain coumarin. It has some medical uses, but flavoring vanilla isn't one.

Grand Cayman for sure the big black dick rum not only is it pretty good rum it is a great conversation piece.

Vanilla in cozumel because it is not the imitation stuff you get in the states.

I enjoy jerk but it's hard to find realty good jerk at home. In Jamaica I have purchased jerk rubs and seasonings that I like very much. Granted, it's just not the same, but I've liked most of what I've brought back home. Other than that, I have no desire to ever get off the ship at this island.

So question about this thread - do you get to take the vanilla back onto the ship with you or does Carnival take it until the end? Or is that only alcohol? Any suggestions for Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan if anyone doesn't mind me adding on?

For what it's worth, I always buy a Christmas ornament wherever we travel, cruise or land. Just something I enjoy, brings back the memories :hearteyes:.

Bobbi

We always try to get an ornament or 2 from our cruises. So many things are the same in so many ports. But, we got 2 amazing paintings in the Dominican Republic a couple of years ago.

Sometimes we buy Tortuga rum cakes in Grand Cayman to take back for our adult children. I know they are available on the ship & in some other ports, but the ones we have bought in GC just seem to taste fresher.

Last time I was there we bought a bunch from a vendor right next to their port authority building. Black Barts brand or something and they were great. I think it was $20 for 5 flavors of the minis plus one large. It's a good deal for Grand Cayman.

We also started buying Christmas ornaments after visiting the Bahamas. Everything else was ridiculously over priced for American dollars.

Cozumel - fine quality pottery (not the cheap stuff), leather shoes

Grand Cayman - porcelain, jewelry, liquor (used to buy Blue Sapphire Gin at a store on the main street facing the ocean for less than $10)

Jamaica - Blue Mountain coffee

We also started buying Christmas ornaments after visiting the Bahamas. .

We have Christmas ornaments from every port we've visited as well as a magnet. Decorating the tree at Christmas now becomes a trip down memory lane:D

Last time we were in Jamaica we spent a lot on Blue Mountain Coffee - only to find that it didn't taste all that much better than Maxwell House's Master Blend :D:D

Sometimes we buy Tortuga rum cakes in Grand Cayman to take back for our adult children. I know they are available on the ship & in some other ports, but the ones we have bought in GC just seem to taste fresher.

I agree with this. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums