Reviews of Share and Salty Dog with Pictures

helenb

Understood. We tried 'Share' very soon after its debut and found it to be less than impressive. We did like a couple of the dishes, but some were tepid/luke warm and others were bland. Perhaps still in its infancy, they were still working out some bugs.

It looks like they've changed the menu since then.

We were excited to try something new, but like you, @$39 a pop, we didn't see the value to quality ratio that we would expect at that price point. We've had as good(and worse) meals dining in the MDR truth be told.

Sidenote: we have booked CG for our spring cruise on Crown and also considering Salty Dog one night. Can 2 people share one 'meal' at the SDog?.. Split a burger and another will be a nice light dinner for us

At the time of the ('Share')rollout, the "Crown Grill" had recently been raised to $25(no extra charge for additional entrees).

For the most part, the CG has been good to me. (At that time)Two meals at the CG for a little more than one at 'Share' was a no contest decision for the former.

I surely wouldn't discourage anybody from trying 'Share' based on our solo experience, but I do feel that dining in a specialty restaurant ought to be special. If more than one item is less than great(and not a personal mistake in understanding what I've ordered), then the experience doesn't exemplify special to me.

That was our exact experience as we also tried it when it first came out. Reading thru this thread, I was all like, whoa, we didn't get any food items like that. Ours was more, meh

Thank you for the review and particularly the pictures. We tried SHARE on our November Ruby cruise because they had lowered the price to $29 each and we had been curious about it. It was good but not our cup of tea and certainly not worth the extra $10 over CG. We have yet to try the Salty Dog but have talked about it several cruises. Maybe we will give it a try on our upcoming Emerald cruise. We would definitely go for the burger and being a lover of bourbon I now know to order the chocolate dessert as I imagine it is most likely delicious.

May I ask what type of camera you used to take those beautiful photos?

Nothing special. It was an iPhone 7. You can tell that the lighting was much brighter in Share than in the Wheelhouse/Salty Dog.

I loved your review, helenb. Thanks very much. One thing I hope you won't mind me explaining. Sunchokes are not 'artichokes from Jerusalem'. They are what we in the UK call Jerusalem artichokes but they have nothing to do with the city. The word Jerusalem in this case is a corruption of the word 'girasoles' which is French for sunflowers. The plants are members of the sunflower family (hence sunchokes).

Thanks for the explanation! I did not know that. The waiter did say 'Jerusalem artichokes' which I just interpreted to mean 'artichokes from Jerusalem' since I had no idea about this. Interestingly, it did taste like artichokes.

I happen to really like Share and even more the second time we went. A funny thing did happen there. The Chef was making the rounds and asked us about our meal. I just love the pickled mustard seeds in the pickled onion that is served with the appetizer course and asked him about it. He said he would be happy to get me the recipe. He did bring me out a printed copy but it makes enough to serve 100 people and it was all in metrics. It took a while to convert it and cut it WAY back for a normal portion size.

Thank you for your reviews and pictures. A very honest and good representation of both Share and Salty Dog. We have not done Share for the very reasons you said about being empty and what you had....... and the price. Just not our cup of tea and your review just bolstered that for us.

Salty Dog was better for us. The grilled cheese and soup when we had it was soooo good and more grilled cheese. But I agree it is not enough food and not worth the price. We had the hamburger (did they still offer that?) and it was very good, but again soooo small a portion. Went to the IC after our meal for some more food!!!

My favorite special meal and it is free is the Pub Lunch they serve usually only once a cruise. It really is good even though you might have to eat kinda picnic style!!!

Pooh

Pooh, they still had the burger, but it didn't look like something we'd want to order. I agree that the one I saw looked more filling.

They had had the pub lunch on our cruise as well, on the last day (which was a sea day).

Thank you for sharing your photos and thoughts on Share and Salty Dog.

DH and I ate @ Share on the Ruby. We thought it was a very entertaining menu and service. Our waiter explained in detail every plate we had. We would do it again. It was enjoyable.

We looked over Salty Dog and really did not see anything we just had to try on their menu.

Again thanks!

Hmmmm.... according to the fine print at the bottom of this page:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/

Salty Dog is only on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. But if it's new on Caribbean Princess, perhaps they just haven't updated the page yet?

Share looks right up my alley, but I couldn't convince my mom to go. She was concerned that it would be $120 + tip for the three of us and either we would leave hungry, or dissatisfied. Looking at the pictures make me wish we had gone!

The tip is included in the upcharge so base your decision on the $39 PP which I wouldn't pay anyway

• 2 months later...

We LOVED Share - the food was really impressive and the service was excellent. I would recommend it to anyone. I would skip Salty Dog as well. We found the food to be less than appetizing though the burger was pretty decent. That was the only thing we liked (and sitting with 4 people we had it all).

Excellent pictures and review. Thank you so much! Much appreciated. We will be on Caribbean Princess in May and excited to try Salty Dog.

Just to be clear again: Caribbean Princess has the Salty Dog Grill on the Lido Deck. Not the Salty Dog Gastropub offered each evening in Wheelhouse Bar on Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess--from which the photos and review at the start of this thread originated.

Just to be clear again: Caribbean Princess has the Salty Dog Grill on the Lido Deck. Not the Salty Dog Gastropub offered each evening in Wheelhouse Bar on Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess--from which the photos and review at the start of this thread originated.

Thank you so much for the clarification. Much appreciated.

(Especially for a person willing to pay an extra $10 for a 2nd entree at the 'Crown Grill') My advice on the 'Salty Dog'(when dining for two) is to pay three coverage charges.

I hadn't known about the second entree at Crown. Do you just ask for another portion? It's our favorite specialty restaurant, but dh is never full enough.

We're going to pass on Salty Dog - thanks for the review.

I hadn't known about the second entree at Crown. Do you just ask for another portion? It's our favorite specialty restaurant, but dh is never full enough.

We're going to pass on Salty Dog - thanks for the review.

While this still remains the case in the MDR, until recently, one could order mulitiple items off of the menu @Crown Grill. Want two or three appetizers? No problem. Want two entrees? No problem.

In fact.....Want everything on the menu? Despite perhaps a strange look from the waitstaff.....No problem.

For many, the option of 'Surf and Turf' is a popular choice to order while dining in the CG. In the past, the waitstaff would bring the steak and an additional plate of lobster tails for no additional charge.

This policy has now changed. Now one may order a second entree for an additional supplemental cover charge of $10. So what cost only $19 a few short years ago, now costs ($29)(+$10) for the same.

Our next bookings are on Caribbean Princess, then Emerald Princess. Glad to see that neither Share nor Salty Dog are on either ship.

I think Share is now on the Emerald Princess where Sabitinis was (next to Adagio). This is a disappointment to me as i was looking forward to another great meal.

I'm glad you had a good experience at Share on the Ruby. We went last year and really wanted to like it, but it fell far short of our expectations. My favorite was the beets and pasta, - the sauce was amazing and I could have happily had a big bowl of that minus the gnocchi which were tough, chewy and overcooked. The cocktail onions were really good -I wouldn't mind the recipe! There was a shrimp dish which was so overcooked we had to send it back and they were out of the cheese course I wanted to try. At the time there were only a few tables full, and another couple was very vocal about how disappointed they were with the meal. I doubt we would go back, and it certainly doesn't compare to some of the excellent meals (not to mention the wonderful staff) we've experienced in Sabitinis.

• 4 months later...
Our next bookings are on Caribbean Princess, then Emerald Princess. Glad to see that neither Share nor Salty Dog are on either ship.

I understood that the Salty Dog Gastropub was inside the Wheelhouse Bar on the Emerald Princess. I am looking forward to it for the Maryland Style Jumbo Lump Crabcakes and the Lobster Mac and Cheese. Hope they haven't cancelled it.