Not exactly "buyer's remorse" but going to need to make "lemonade" out of a "lemon"

calteacher

No, the line would gladly keep whatever the surrender penalty was and then be able to resell the cabin - which would be even better for their bottom line.

I wonder how many cruisers who believe that "fair play" requires lines to renegotiate fares if prices drop - would also believe that they should renegotiate with the line if prices went up.

In my case, the second post to the thread, it was six months before final payment so the surrender penalty would be zilch. I would not expect a lower price after final payment date.

In my case, the second post to the thread, it was six months before final payment so the surrender penalty would be zilch. I would not expect a lower price after final payment date.

Then you should gladly walk away from your "zilch" loss - looking at it simply as an insurance premium: which let you lock in a good price should prices go up, while virtually painlessly letting you buy at a lower price.

Either way, it's hard to see grounds for complaint.

I was not asking for a refund, nor was I asking for an upgrade. I was just surprised at the way the pricing had changed. The current price for a veranda was less than the current price for an outside cabin. I didn't think that a higher rated cabin would actually be lower than a cabin of a lower rank.

I have told my TA that I would be interested in an upsell (obviously a free upgrade would be fine, but I don't expect it) depending on the location of the cabin. Yes, I have experienced motion sickness in the past which is why I want to be prepared.

We book all travel when 'our price' hits. For cruises that generally means inside the final payment window.

We don't look back. We are on a flight next week. My guess is that there will be people sitting near us who paid more, and some who paid less. Waiting for the lowest travel price possible often infers a less expensive vacation......in your own backyard.

I was not asking for a refund, nor was I asking for an upgrade. I was just surprised at the way the pricing had changed. The current price for a veranda was less than the current price for an outside cabin. I didn't think that a higher rated cabin would actually be lower than a cabin of a lower rank.

I have told my TA that I would be interested in an upsell (obviously a free upgrade would be fine, but I don't expect it) depending on the location of the cabin. Yes, I have experienced motion sickness in the past which is why I want to be prepared.

Pricing is all over the board from the day HAL starts selling a cruise, up, down, +promo, etc. Much has to do with how the cruise/individual categories are selling.

Please let us know what happens!

On one cruise we booked well in advance. Cancelled just prior to the final payment. Then rebooked inside the final payment window at a very nice reduction. But....we suspected the the ship would be undersold so we took a chance. But..we had a backup cruise in mind. Supply and demand. We paid big bucks for our Christmas/New Years AI but we also snagged a last minute blow out deal in the first week of December.

Then you should gladly walk away from your "zilch" loss - looking at it simply as an insurance premium: which let you lock in a good price should prices go up, while virtually painlessly letting you buy at a lower price.

Either way, it's hard to see grounds for complaint.

Ok, I’ll try one last time. My complaint was they had a sale that was only available while on the ship. It was six months to final payment. They would not let me cancel and rebook with a different booking. So, unlike most price drops before final payment I was locked out. That was a twist I had never seen. It made me feel penalized for booking early. The reality is in the cruise industry, passengers can usually take advantage if price drops but not in this case.

Ok, I’ll try one last time. My complaint was they had a sale that was only available while on the ship. It was six months to final payment. They would not let me cancel and rebook with a different booking. So, unlike most price drops before final payment I was locked out. That was a twist I had never seen. It made me feel penalized for booking early. The reality is in the cruise industry, passengers can usually take advantage if price drops but not in this case.

Could you have cancelled over the internet on the HAL web site? Just curious.

Could you have cancelled over the internet on the HAL web site? Just curious.

I think I could have if I had done that first but once the lady knew I already had a booking she said I could not get the sale. Apparently their system tied our Mariner number to an existing booking and once she saw that she said no. I asked what about if I cancel the booking and come back to see her a few days later, she said no. I think if I had done the cancellation first, it would have been fine.

I get that they don’t want to reprice their product down but in the future we will wait until we are on a cruise to book, the savings were around 7-8%.

I think I could have if I had done that first but once the lady knew I already had a booking she said I could not get the sale. Apparently their system tied our Mariner number to an existing booking and once she saw that she said no. I asked what about if I cancel the booking and come back to see her a few days later, she said no. I think if I had done the cancellation first, it would have been fine.

I get that they don’t want to reprice their product down but in the future we will wait until we are on a cruise to book, the savings were around 7-8%.

Was the fare 7-8% lower or was that amount due to the Onboard credit you get for booking? Every time I check onboard, the fares have been the same as just before I sailed, but I was offered some OBC.

They changed their policy on seasick meds in October. It was a shock to pay for three pkgs. when you could just go to the front desk and they would give you some with a smile.

Really, the SeaCalm is no longer free? Whats the cost? My wife uses the Patch, but sometimes supplements it with some SeaCalm on the Patch Off days.

Was the fare 7-8% lower or was that amount due to the Onboard credit you get for booking? Every time I check onboard, the fares have been the same as just before I sailed, but I was offered some OBC.

It was OBC’s, to me the same thing as long as I can use them all up.

I agree - OBC/discount = savings.

Actually OBC can be a better savings for us sometimes as they are in US $ and we are subject to exchange.

I do a lot of research before finally making a booking. When I come to a decision I am satisfied that it is the best one I can make with the information I had available. I cannot, and do not, beat myself over the head over something beyond my control. I am going on vacation and I am happy! Oh! And if the price falls I have no hesitation in requesting compensation. I don't always get it but the answer is already no if I don't ask. :)

Call Hal. They will upgrade you. Jan 2017. We had an inside. Price dropped after final payment. Called once and went to inside. Price kept dropping. On dec 23rd, price dropped again , called again, we went to Balcony.

We were with a TA. I called Ta and they called Hal

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for clarifying. I normally purchase Future Cruise Deposits (FCD) on my cruise and this amounts to the same thing (you get the same OBC plus a greatly reduced deposit). You then get to book from home. I like them since you can easily book a cruise and change/cancel it later without alot of hassle and having to charge/credit your credit card.