Not exactly "buyer's remorse" but going to need to make "lemonade" out of a "lemon"

calteacher

Last July we made reservations on a San Diego-Hawaii-San Diego cruise for an ocean-view, Category C, cabin. At the time, it seemed a good price. Now, (obviously after final payment) we could get a Veranda cabin (VB 4049) for less than we paid for our C category. Not sure that the extra OBC credit will really account for much. But we are still planning to really enjoy the cruise. That is assuming that we can control the motion sickness which many here say will happen the first two and last two days of the cruise.

Trying to tell myself that it may be best to just wait until the last minute to book the next time.

Once I've made final payment, there are no regrets. I'll aggressively pursue sales and watch our cabin price before then, but once it paid for, oh well! Just concentrate on enjoying your cruise.

Waiting for the last minute can be a gamble too, but since we tend to book 6-18 months out last minute cruises are not something we even consider.

Have you checked with Hal? It never hurts to ask and who knows maybe they would offer you an upgrade?

We have experienced offers after final payment.

If your subject to motion sickness prepare for it in advance and you should be OK.

Enjoy your cruise.

What makes you think you will have heavy seas on any particular part of your cruise? On Westerdam in February 2017 we enjoyed mill-pond like conditions on that itinerary.

Also, would you be gloating now if prices had gone the other way - which they might have done --- why let market conditions impact your mood?

We are currently 30 days from our sail date and I just checked to see what the price would be for our Neptune suite. They are sold out and we would be SOL for this trip. Even the Signature suites are sold out.

Be happy and enjoy your cruise.

Maury

As others have suggested, you can be proactive. If you booked through a TA, go through them to see if HAL might have an offer for you in this situation. Or, if you booked direct with HAL, just call them. Can't hurt.

Agree with the others. If you wait until the last minute, cabin availability will not be as good, if at all.

We've had lake-like conditions and 10 foot seas all the way to/from Hawaii and everything in between. Generally the first 2 days out /into San Diego are cool, but I would not say the seas fit that pattern. We had a hurricane from off Mexico chasing us once most of the way and flat and calm the whole way back.

Hope OPs phone their TA or HAL to find out if anything can be done in the way of cabin upgrades. You never know.

I'm one who waits to book cruises. When DH taught at a community college, we could go only during his school breaks--a week in March, sometimes a week in May, two and a half weeks at the end of July/first of August, and two weeks around Christmas and New Year's. Sometimes I watched prices go up and up. Sometimes they went down. I was always amazed at how many times we were able to go on holiday cruises because the prices went down enough after the final payment date.

Now that we're retired, we have more leeway. I wasn't planning on taking a cruise next month, but I found a great offer for a Princess one. It was too good to pass up.

Last July we made reservations on a San Diego-Hawaii-San Diego cruise for an ocean-view, Category C, cabin. At the time, it seemed a good price. Now, (obviously after final payment) we could get a Veranda cabin (VB 4049) for less than we paid for our C category. Not sure that the extra OBC credit will really account for much. But we are still planning to really enjoy the cruise. That is assuming that we can control the motion sickness which many here say will happen the first two and last two days of the cruise.

Trying to tell myself that it may be best to just wait until the last minute to book the next time.

Break it down to your per day cost, which includes food, transportation, lodging, entertainment and see if you still think you have a good vacation price no matter which final price point you end up with. I personally would go with the verandah on this cruise, but always check to see where these last minute cabins are located. If they are above or below noisy areas, give them a pass.

Have you tried OTC Bonine for sea sickness - if this works for your own medical condition, take it the night before you leave to be sure it is already in your system when you need it. Then for the next few days that you expect to be rough. I find I take it now just when the captain reports we may be heading into some rough seas which gives it at least a few hours to kick in. It is a long at-sea slog to get to Hawaii - good time to just lay in and get pampered.

Call your TA (or HAL if you booked through them) and see if they can do something for you. Very often they will do something (OBC, room upgrade, etc.).

As to the motion of the ship - it really depends. We were on the Oosterdam in Dec an the seas were a bit rough, but nothing REAL bad, and we were in an aft cabin! Just to be safe, try to end up in the middle of the ship if motion bothers you. Also, do your homework on the various sea sickness remedies and be prepared. Onboard they give out free motion meds (front desk or doctors office) and have foods (green apples. crackers, soup, etc.) that many people find helpful.

By the way, the last day of our cruise was the calmest (like being on a lake), so you never know how the seas will be.

You do have to ask yourself: does it make sense for HAL to let someone out of a commitment to buy Cabin A for $2,000 and buy a better one (Cabin B) for $1,500 - when that would leave them with Cabin A - which they could now only sell for $1,200.

Why wouldn’t they want to keep what they already earned — WOULDN’T YOU, IF YOU WERE THEM?

You do have to ask yourself: does it make sense for HAL to let someone out of a commitment to buy Cabin A for $2,000 and buy a better one (Cabin B) for $1,500 - when that would leave them with Cabin A - which they could now only sell for $1,200.

Why wouldn’t they want to keep what they already earned — WOULDN’T YOU, IF YOU WERE THEM?

Or one can cancel and they have zip.

I second the recommendation for Bonine. I have terrible motion sickness issues. I take the first pill the day before the cruise and every day while on it. Never been seasick. There were some ROUGH seas in Alaska and out of San Diego. I swear by the stuff.

With all my travel stuff, once the final payment is made, I stop looking. It’s not worth the OBC I may or may not get and I don’t want the aggravation. I just concentrate on the fun we’ll have. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or one can cancel and they have zip.

No, the line would gladly keep whatever the surrender penalty was and then be able to resell the cabin - which would be even better for their bottom line.

I wonder how many cruisers who believe that "fair play" requires lines to renegotiate fares if prices drop - would also believe that they should renegotiate with the line if prices went up.

Sorry, I shouldn't complain.

Your situation, which appears to be common, can come as a real shock. I don't take your posts as a complaint. No need at all to complain. Your thoughts are your thought and you entitled to them. Thanks for sharing your situation - I learned something new about how HAL is working its pricing.

Sorry, I shouldn't complain.

No reason to apologize. You had a valid inquiry and that is why Cruise Critic exist and is so valuable to those who love to cruise.

You received some great advice about having your TA or calling Hal yourself and seeing if they can offer a better deal.

Keep on asking.

As to the motion of the ship - it really depends. We were on the Oosterdam in Dec an the seas were a bit rough, but nothing REAL bad, and we were in an aft cabin! Just to be safe, try to end up in the middle of the ship if motion bothers you. Also, do your homework on the various sea sickness remedies and be prepared. Onboard they give out free motion meds (front desk or doctors office) and have foods (green apples. crackers, soup, etc.) that many people find helpful.

By the way, the last day of our cruise was the calmest (like being on a lake), so you never know how the seas will be.

Last month on the Eurodam, my roommate had to purchase seasick meds from the front desk. No freebies there.