Large charter group on ship

Moz

I Google our cruise dates and also keep links to groups that charter ships frequently. We were on a half ship charter in 1995 that was not enjoyable. They tried to kick us out of second seating, they had their own entertainment, rooms reserved. We try to avoid groups or at least know if one is sailing with us so we can research and change cruises if we feel we will not have a full cruise experience.

We had a couple of large groups on liberty last year, no problems, cool groups one was a first responder group, played poker with many of them, they had one private event which was st. Midnight concert by a former American idol and suite people were asked to attend great concert

I searched Apostolics at Sea on youtube and watched a few vlogs from previous years cruises. Looks like they did some mission projects and community service at port stops. So I am not sure how busy shore excursions will be. You may hear some praises to the lord and some religous singing around the ship. They appear to be a good group of people. Go in with a good attitude and report back on your experience.

Edited by Rbullenut

We took a cruise once with a huge group chartered by Mayberry fans. Even though we weren't part of it we saw them a lot on the ship, and they were a fun, (older) group, and even had some of the former stars with them. I actually wished I had been part of their group- they took over a couple of venues, but in out of the way places, and didn't negative impact my trip. Another time we were on a cruise with over 500 ballroom dancers- they were pretty visible in some of the venues, but it was fun to watch them dance- like dancing with the stars! They also dressed very formally for dinner which was nice! I think there must be charter groups on most ships, the cruise line probably makes more money by selling them a block of cabins at a higher rate. If you find a large group on your ship and then try to do a mock booking, (if you can) the rate is usually higher and they don't seem to be offered the same OBC, etc.

What KIND of "group"? We were on a cruise where about 1/3 of the passengers were part of some "insurance company" group. The majority of the group didn't even know each other. I think they had a couple private "seminars", and that affected nothing for anyone else. Apparently this was some sort of "reward" for good sales. The cruise was no different than any other for anyone!

This sounds like the cruise we went on last March. Other then a family member having a medical emergency and we return to Miami they were not an issue. BUT the spring breakers were the issue!

I was on Ovation's first cruise with a large group from a Brazilian Petroleum company. There were some very glamourous dresses...they had several private events which shut off many bars, but on one night they hadn't put the private function sign outside one of the entrances to the Music Hall which they had taken over...took me a while to figure out why I was getting free drinks all night and I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying! LOL

On another cruise there was a large group of line dancers. What ever music was played they would all get up and line dance....all over the Centrum and in the lounges, making it very difficult for anyone else to dance (normally) and I found this group very intrusive.

I have not googled your charter, but I hope it is a mild group. At least not a bunch of college kids on spring break, but... I did a charter we had about 800 on the Splendour of the Seas in 06 or 07.... and while I would not choose to be on that sailing, normally, it was probably not too bad because we didn't take over any venues, etc, but still. Any group larger than a couple of hundred impacts the sailing significantly. That said, the cruise line do not tell you that you are sailing with a group. Since we are all people, aren't we supposed to accept everyone? I mean bears, bikers, WWF, plumbers, etc. all gods children... right.

JC

I was hesitant to comment on this subject, because I thought someone might look at it as not accepting others. It's not about that, one cool thing about cruising is meeting people from other walks of life. I was just wondering if, due to the size of the group and the fact that they are planning their own activities, will it mean that some usual activities will be cancelled or venues unavailable? You said yourself, any group larger than a couple hundred will impact the sailing significantly. I have read some comments that this did indeed happen to them...others say they barely noticed that a large group was on board. I guess I will find out for myself in a few weeks.

We were on Enchantment with several hundred (likely close to 1/4 of the ship??) South American Quinceañera girls and some of their families.

They had several events around the ship and I can tell you that the sheer vocal volume of that many teenage girls was INSANE. However, they didn't really interfere a lot with our cruise. It was loud and there was a long more squealing and giggling and goofiness than a typical cruise... especially considering we typically cruise at times with fewer children.

But we didn't get put out by them. They had special shows and events. They took up a MASSIVE portion of the MDR, but they weren't in MTD like we were.

The only bad part was their attire, it was awkward in terms of American customs ESPECIALLY FOR CHILDREN (which is what they are) to dress so provocatively around the ship and their swimwear. I'm not even very puritanical at all.

To answer your question, the ship handled it really well. Their events were their events and open events was just like a normal cruise... except teen girls in matching outfits were everywhere.

ETA:

They did make a lot more announcements in Spanish. That was different.

When you pay for a product as specified in advertising by a service provider, you are entitled to expect delivery of said product.

Not interested in what the cruise line is up to - on every single voyage, they are to deliver said product. Every single time, over and over, unless there is an unforeseen circumstance.

If there is a situation that occurs in advance (like a charter) that has the probability to amend the said product - then all those consumers that could be potentially impacted by not receiving the said product that was advertised at the time the consumer paid for it - should be compensated etc.

Not letting any cruise line, restaurant, resort etc, off the hook - when they know full well their advertised product offering can not/will not be delivered.

Consumers are entirely to lenient on service providers.

What is it you think they are not receiving?

This is a (potential) problem that will arise on my Alaska cruise this August. There is a charter, called "Rockin' the Glaciers" that will be on the ship (Explorer of the Seas). It's apparently a Rock and Roll themed charter, where you have to buy into it through AAA. From what I've found, the entertainment isn't anyone I recognize, but maybe I'm not old enough ;) I can not find much information about it at all though.

I've no idea how large it will be. Hopefully not that large. My major concern is I booked this last July (I think) and was wait listed for early seating in the MDR .... There is no way in HELL me and my family are going to wait until 8:30 PM to eat dinner each night. That's 11:30 PM for us East coast folks, worse if they adjust ship time to match local time in Alaska. So if this charter is indeed taking over the entire early seating it will absolutely have a rather large negative impact on our cruise. I know it seems like the majority of people around here do specialty restaurants, but we don't, so reducing our included food options to the Windjammer only would sting.

We're hoping for the best though.

I do know who some of those featured are- Sha Na Na used to even have a short lived TV show and Bowzer was the one predominately featured, and I am sure some time or another you have sung to "in the jungle, the mighty jungle the lion sleeps tonight" by the Tokens. As it is the music of the 50's and 60's I can see how you are concerned about everyone wanting the early bird special. I doubt that the rest of the ship will be over run by unruly teens however :)

I hope that you will get of the wait list for early dinning. We had been wait listed for early dinning on our Alaska cruise (different line) and we worked with our travel agent to let the line know we had 4 young kids with us and we were able to get our early dinning (total group of 10, so it is possible). You can also explore the option of "my time" which would allow you to eat in the MDR when you want. You can even have a standing reservation for My Time.

We were on Oasis Jan 22 - 29 2017 and it was beyond doubt the worst cruise we have ever taken. There was a HUGE group booked that we were not aware of and if we had known in advance we would have changed to a different ship. The group was booked by a charter travel agency that begins with K. There were numerous areas blocked off only for this group, signs at the entrances for their private parties, sections in the theater reserved only for them.

Sections of the dining room reserved for them and the 2 times we went to the dining room our table was next to their area. There was no relaxing for dinner as they were loud, obnoxious and no manners at all. Speaking loudly with their mouths full, jumping from one table to another. We saw one of the elders at the table knock the plate out of the servers hand and stated something similar to that is not how you serve me. Their children were running wild, up and down the hallways at all times of the day and night.

Blaze was closed the entire week for them and one night as we were waiting for the Comedy club to open we saw and heard very loud shouting and noticed that several from the group were actually screaming at crew that was bringing in food. This escalated to chef's and ships officers arriving on the scene. It was something you would only think of seeing in a movie. I don't know the outcome as we entered the Comedy club hoping for some relaxation and fun away from this group.

One of the biggest issue's I had was the way they treated the staff, they were horrible to them, treating them as if they were servants. Time after time we observed them pushing ahead of disabled persons to get on the elevators. I could almost write a book of how bad it was and I do agree this group would bring families into the Diamond lounge. At least the Suite lounge stopped them and there was some peace in there.

At the end of this cruise my DH stated he would never cruise with Royal again, but after almost a year of convincing him we had an amazing cruise this past December and booked Symphony. I highly recommend checking the site mentioned before to see what groups are booked on your cruise.

We have been on several largely 'chartered' sailings (not all with RCI). In fact our very first cruise was with 900 World War II submarine veterans (not a problem as they went to bed early and had early MDR and we had late...LOL), then on a cruise with about 1000 LGBTQ cruisers, also not a problem! Then on RCI was on Jewel with a group of about 700 Sci-Fi Trekkies...dressed in costume....they took over a lot of venues, had their own entertainment and that did impact us somewhat as venues were closed to the balance of the pax. Then last year on the Allure, a HUGE charter of Asian foreign students....that also impacted the cruise as they were pushy and rude to pax and crew alike, they took over the Promenade each night w/ huge group pics on stairs (the crew had to continually try to 'control' them and move them)....lots of selfie sticks that hit you in the head continually, jammed elevators and a major language barrier. It ruined that cruise for us unfortunately. So we have had our 'fair' share of group charters....half of which didn't impact us, but some did! I think it depends on the 'charter', how large a group, what they have pre-arranged etc. As for that website link above.....how do you find your specific sailing??? It lists only 'themes'...???

We were on Oasis Jan 22 - 29 2017 and it was beyond doubt the worst cruise we have ever taken. There was a HUGE group booked that we were not aware of and if we had known in advance we would have changed to a different ship. The group was booked by a charter travel agency that begins with K. There were numerous areas blocked off only for this group, signs at the entrances for their private parties, sections in the theater reserved only for them.

Sections of the dining room reserved for them and the 2 times we went to the dining room our table was next to their area. There was no relaxing for dinner as they were loud, obnoxious and no manners at all. Speaking loudly with their mouths full, jumping from one table to another. We saw one of the elders at the table knock the plate out of the servers hand and stated something similar to that is not how you serve me. Their children were running wild, up and down the hallways at all times of the day and night.

Blaze was closed the entire week for them and one night as we were waiting for the Comedy club to open we saw and heard very loud shouting and noticed that several from the group were actually screaming at crew that was bringing in food. This escalated to chef's and ships officers arriving on the scene. It was something you would only think of seeing in a movie. I don't know the outcome as we entered the Comedy club hoping for some relaxation and fun away from this group.

One of the biggest issue's I had was the way they treated the staff, they were horrible to them, treating them as if they were servants. Time after time we observed them pushing ahead of disabled persons to get on the elevators. I could almost write a book of how bad it was and I do agree this group would bring families into the Diamond lounge. At least the Suite lounge stopped them and there was some peace in there.

At the end of this cruise my DH stated he would never cruise with Royal again, but after almost a year of convincing him we had an amazing cruise this past December and booked Symphony. I highly recommend checking the site mentioned before to see what groups are booked on your cruise.

Just read a bunch of different horrific reviews about the "K" organization chartering cruises. Part of the problem is that their clients are charged 3-4 times the rate that a passenger would get going direct. They must feel entiltled to act that way because of how much they pay and what they are promised.

Just read a bunch of different horrific reviews about the "K" organization chartering cruises. Part of the problem is that their clients are charged 3-4 times the rate that a passenger would get going direct. They must feel entiltled to act that way because of how much they pay and what they are promised.

I must not be in the K-know??? Links to reviews? I'm curious. I've never heard of them.

what group was this?!!! So i will know to stay far away!

Our last cruise on the Navigator in January 2016 was an Armenian Heritage Cruise. I wouldn't say that it really had an impact on our cruise at all. None of the venues were shut done or unavailable to us and none of the dining rooms were taken over or anything like that.

There were times that they took over the poolside events and we could hear them on the promenade later at night when they were in large groups, but overall it wasn't bad at all.

This is a (potential) problem that will arise on my Alaska cruise this August. There is a charter, called "Rockin' the Glaciers" that will be on the ship (Explorer of the Seas). It's apparently a Rock and Roll themed charter, where you have to buy into it through AAA. From what I've found, the entertainment isn't anyone I recognize, but maybe I'm not old enough ;) I can not find much information about it at all though.

I've no idea how large it will be. Hopefully not that large. My major concern is I booked this last July (I think) and was wait listed for early seating in the MDR .... There is no way in HELL me and my family are going to wait until 8:30 PM to eat dinner each night. That's 11:30 PM for us East coast folks, worse if they adjust ship time to match local time in Alaska. So if this charter is indeed taking over the entire early seating it will absolutely have a rather large negative impact on our cruise. I know it seems like the majority of people around here do specialty restaurants, but we don't, so reducing our included food options to the Windjammer only would sting.

We're hoping for the best though.

Just as an FYI- We saw Bowser on our Alaska sailing a few years back. VERY talented and very entertaining. Highly suggest if you have the opportunity to see him entertain, do so.

Erika

Just as an FYI- We saw Bowser on our Alaska sailing a few years back. VERY talented and very entertaining. Highly suggest if you have the opportunity to see him entertain, do so.

Erika

It's a private event. The people who are part of the charter pay a significantly higher price than everyone else for that entertainment. They're (most likely) not going to allow us peasants into the venues.

I actually like "Rock and Roll" music, but the 50's is certainly before my time be a few decades. I'm sure if I heard some of the songs played I'd recognize them, but by name ... well, I'm certainly no music buff.

My only potential issue I see with this partial charter is if it's so large they're taking the entire early seating (including "My Time" seats) it's going to have a pretty big negative effect. We'll obviously make due with the Windjammer (because as I said, we are not waiting that late) but it will stink to basically have no choice (without opening our wallets) on where to eat. We'd probably end up caving into room service for variety since it's per order not per person charge.

Unfortunately, there is probably no way to know until we're already there...