Do they still wear tuxedo on formal nights

Will be on the Allure this weekend do they still wear tuxedos on the ship. I personally always rent one and enjoy being dressed call me a traditionalist. On the other hand I don't want to be virtually the only one dressed in one. I know formal nights has changed quite a bit ahhh heck with it I'm going for it.

I am renting a tux when on the Oasis next month. And so is my brother in law. (BIL) Sorry, just getting the hang of board shorthand. ;)

Thought it would save on packing a suit (and kind of wanted to dress up once when cruising).

DH always took his tux when we sailed Celebrity. He has never taken a tux or a suit on a Royal cruise as we seldom see men in dress attire. I no longer take dress tops when sailing Royal, just tops I would wear to a nice restaurant or to church at home. Seems most people wear what they are comfortable in no matter what the supposed dress code of the evening.

Edited by Snit13
error

Haven't been on a cruise since honeymoon 13 years ago, took a tux then and prob 95% of pax wore tux or equal on formal nights, we're going on another this spring and I asked an older couple we are close with who go on multiple cruises a year (all royal) about the dress for formal nights (because of having read that they relaxed the codes in the past few years) and he said 80% will be in khakis or slacks and a collared shirt, 10% will be tux, and 10% will be jeans or shorts.

I'm gonna be in slacks and a nice shirt, maybe a sport coat if I'm feeling froggy

My DH wears his every cruise. In fact he has a white dinner jacket he wears on the second formal. People dress all different ways now. I remember when you needed a jacket on non formal nights. As long as we are on the ship other people can dress as they please. We like dressing up:)

Dress the way you wish! On the Allure in November, I did not see a single tux. However, when we sailed the Oasis in December, there were tuxes. Lots of men wear suits while others decided to go casual. Many dressed up for dinner and then changed if attending the Aqua show. It's what ever one wants to do and that's the way it should be. No judgement.

I think it depends on ship, itinerary, dining time. I have always seen many men in tuxes, although the minority. DH owns his tux and will wear one on our next cruise.

We like to dress up and I love looking at all of the beautiful dresses. Because, despite what you read on CC, many women still dress up, mostly cocktail dresses, but some long dresses.

My husband always wears a tux on formal night. He has for every single cruise we have been on. We enjoy dressing up. We are bringing our three adult children with us on our next cruise. Two have never cruised. I sent my sons the link to rent a tux and told my daughter to pack an evening gown. I never told them there was any other dress option on formal night. It makes the evening feel special. I don’t feel like we are overdressed, we just look better then everyone else [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband always wears a tux on formal night. He has for every single cruise we have been on. We enjoy dressing up. We are bringing our three adult children with us on our next cruise. Two have never cruised. I sent my sons the link to rent a tux and told my daughter to pack an evening gown. I never told them there was any other dress option on formal night. It makes the evening feel special. I don’t feel like we are overdressed, we just look better then everyone else [emoji6]

You told your daughter to pack an "evening gown" :eek:

Hi I'm on Freedom now and tonight Is formal night. I think I've seen two tuxes. That said, if you want to rent one go for it. I miss the old days when everyone really dressed for formal night.

It's funny to read so many people want people to wear tuxes, but they are not willing to....

I'm 100% sure that nobody will feel that you are under dressed if you do- I've never ONCE seen a thread complaining about people who are actually dressed up. So wear a tux if you want to.

Otherwise, it will continue to go away, and formal night will be a thing of fond memories.

You told your daughter to pack an "evening gown" :eek:

Yes I did. I’m not sure why that is so shocking to you. Here, this may help:

eve·ning gown

noun

a long, elegant dress suitable for wearing on formal occasions.

She is 20. She understands what I’m saying. As a clarinet major who has played in many recitals, orchestras and chamber groups all over the country she is required to wear a long, elegant dress. She has the appropriate attire in her closet. Here is an example of one of her elegant evening gowns

96d1c9a6134f9517b0a03d903882afed.jpg

• Like 2

DW bought a tux for me after our first cruise, and I've worn it on every cruise since. Actually, our last cruise was a med cruise with a week in Europe before the cruise, so I didn't lug it around Europe for that cruise. And our next cruise is only 5 days and will happen after a week long business trip, so I probably won't bring it for that cruise either. Uh oh...

Yes I did. I’m not sure why that is so shocking to you. Here, this may help:

eve·ning gown

noun

a long, elegant dress suitable for wearing on formal occasions.

She is 20. She understands what I’m saying. As a clarinet major who has played in many recitals, orchestras and chamber groups all over the country she is required to wear a long, elegant dress. She has the appropriate attire in her closet. Here is an example of one of her elegant evening gowns

96d1c9a6134f9517b0a03d903882afed.jpg

Since your daughter is accustomed to wearing this type of gown then this is understandable. Sometimes small details left out of a post can make all the difference in how one responds. Especially when it come to "telling" instead of suggesting to adult children how to dress. Enjoy your formal nights.

Nice dress! I have to say, I see less and less people wearing tuxedos on formal nights, but usually there are at least a few men wearing one. I love to dress up for formal night and I am always looking forward to this occasion. If you feel the same way, just wear a tuxedo. No one will give you a sceptic look for it.

Since your daughter is accustomed to wearing this type of gown then this is understandable. Sometimes small details left out of a post can make all the difference in how one responds. Especially when it come to "telling" instead of suggesting to adult children how to dress. Enjoy your formal nights.

So true! Sometimes telling and suggesting can mean the same thing[emoji4] When my son found out his Dad was wearing a tux he wanted to wear one. We will be celebrating our 30 year anniversary and I’m sure our formal night family photo will be a wonderful keepsake!