Live diary from the Regal Princess - Jan 14-28, 2018

lor74

It was just one of those situations where the current product does not live up to the expectations of prior experiences. I have no issue with them limiting the main course consumption, but one skimpy lobster tail is not a main course. Even if it was the best tail in the world, she would have been finished in 3 bites and left staring at an empty plate before I could even cut the fat away from my steak. It is time that the tail be completely removed from the menu, and replaced by something more worthwhile such as a seared Ahi Tuna. Perhaps offer a full lobster for a surcharge. The staff did try to make it right by offering her something else. I don't fault the crew for corporate decisions, and I still left a tip. As I am sure all married men will understand, there are times when you look at your wife's face, and you know it is time to move on without question!

We are currently swaying up n down, and the lido is quite windy....not to the point of getting sick...

They added a new patter with a standard sea day schedule. I did my 50 laps in the pool and had breakfast. A Cirque show is on MUTS. It is partly cloudy....could be worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If there is one thing I have learned in my 30 years of running fine dining kitchens as an Executive Chef and spending the last 10 years as a restaurant consultant is that unfortunately, and no matter how well you are trained, mistakes are made in kitchens. However, I also tell my clients as a consultant (and your post is a good example) that someone can enjoy your property many times and have great experiences, but if you screw up that one time, well, you may have lost them for good. The culinary world walks a fine line in the love/hate relationship!! I'll be eating at CG twice next week so hopefully the experience will be better (I wouldn't have lobster anyway)! More importantly I hope you have no more bumps on the journey. Thanks for the posts and have a great day at sea.

Hello Culinarycruiseguy, I saw you are on the cruise Jan 21st on the regal, I am a follow chef and will also be on this cruise as well. we are having a Meet and greet after the muster drill at the outrigger bar behind the buffet. if you like please stop by and say hello, I will be wearing an Ohio state shirt and red ohio state hat. it would be cool to meet a fellow chef on board, I saw you are 52 I am 51 so I am sure we would both have some funny food stories. well, anyways if you like to stop by please do thanks Chef Brian

Last year on the Caribbean Princess I was served, in the Crown Grill, a pre cooked filet that was cold. Apparently it was supposed to be finished on the grill but someone plated and served:eek: My meal Too was ruined. DH steak was dry and also appeared pre cooked but he ate his. Anyway food and service were.........way below par. CG manager refunded the cost of my dinner but not DH. He admitted something was wrong and apologized. Hamburgers at the grill were also precooked and we’re in some kind of liquid before putting on the grill....YUCK. I did write to Princess Customer Service. Second time in two years we had a bad meal in CG, no more.

Lor74, thanks for posting these Patters! We're sailing Regal on Sunday. Can't wait!

Looking at the dining room hours, it appears that there are two Traditional first seatings; one in the Allegro and one in the Concerto, with the Concerto becoming Anytime dining at 7:45pm.

Do you know if there are actually two Traditional dining first seatings?

We are confirmed for first seating at 5:30pm. It seems surprising to me that there would be a heavy demand for Traditional first seating.

ecfe1ebcd002cad9cff252a4eaeb3e51.jpg

Too bad about the lobster, here's my lobster story, Ruby Princess Dec. of '16 and couldn't have been happier with CG, DW and DD and I ordered lobster as an appetizer and each got the surf n turf, steaks/filet cooked perfectly and the lobster was served and we got a plate of 12 tails cooked perfectly with no extra charge for the lobster, guess things have changed.

Thank you for your interesting reports! Great news about the unlimited internet for elites! Glad you got on the ship before 11am! DH and I will be sailing in February, so I am very interested in what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your cruise is going! :D

Internet is unlimited for Platinum also, one device per member.

I am so enjoying this live review! We sail Feb 18, Eastern, so I am really looking forward to next weeks review and patters.

I am wondering about any planned classes for the fitness center, specifically I'm looking for a morning stretching class. I've attended this class previously on Princess and am hoping its happening on Regal?

Internet is unlimited for Platinum also, one device per member.

One device at a time per member. You can use your tablet and then log out and switch to your phone and then log out and switch to your laptop if so desired. No limit on the number of your devices - you can just only have one device logged in with your account at any time.

It was just one of those situations where the current product does not live up to the expectations of prior experiences. I have no issue with them limiting the main course consumption, but one skimpy lobster tail is not a main course. Even if it was the best tail in the world, she would have been finished in 3 bites and left staring at an empty plate before I could even cut the fat away from my steak.

We had the same experience at CG on the Regal in October 2017. Previous to this cruise, we had lobster tails accompanied with our steaks for no extra charge and there were several tails. Now with the additional upcharge to add a lobster tail, I decided to just order the lobster tail as my main. I was shocked that it was just one small teeny tail. Luckily, DH hasn’t ordered a steak and shared it with me.

Last night...2nd formal:

398d0ac819cfb30eff7bc57e6e1aceaf.jpg

My morning had started out normal yesterday, but I was not feeling great through the rest of the day. I was cold sitting in the windy conditions by the pool and left there for good and was walking around the ship or in the cabin for the rest of the day. I got through a lot of my book on the balcony. It was an early night. I am desperate for some good weather, but it might not come until the Virgin Islands next week. I feel bad for the people who are only doing this week. It is not often that we get poor weather on our trips.... ☀️ where are you hiding?

Today will be a long one in Cozumel, the forecast is cloudy and we have no set plans.

Why are they playing Grease again!?!

Andrew....I do not know regarding the seating...I assume there are 2 first seating, since it shows that on the patter...

Edited by lor74

Hey Lor74. We are on the same ship and patiently waiting for the sun. It's trying! Just wondering if you heard the rumbles we did last night? We overheard a couple people got sick yesterday after lunch. I came up for breakfast this morning and noticed the servers switching out utensils from the buffet. I know this is a common practice but perhaps it was just more noticed because we heard people were sick? Just wondering if you had heard anything. Enjoy your day in cozumel. We are off to the cenotes.

It was just announced that people came back sick from Jamaica. I was not able not to hear the announcement from the balcony, but Ro told me they said Noro & Dunn's River [emoji33]. I can only hope the tiredness I felt yesterday is the worst of anything that might come my way!

If nothing else, you should get off the ship, and walk around the shops, and end up at pancho's backyard ( to the very left ) - grab a table out under the palms, maybe get your feet nibbled by the fishys, a massage, just relax...:cool:

Hey Lor74. We are on the same ship and patiently waiting for the sun. It's trying! Just wondering if you heard the rumbles we did last night? We overheard a couple people got sick yesterday after lunch. I came up for breakfast this morning and noticed the servers switching out utensils from the buffet. I know this is a common practice but perhaps it was just more noticed because we heard people were sick? Just wondering if you had heard anything. Enjoy your day in cozumel. We are off to the cenotes.

Are you doing the Princess cenotes and turtles snorkeling tour? We are looking at doing that in April and haven't been able to find feedback on it. Anything you can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

I'm enjoying your review. Thank you for providing it and for the additional comments from others. I enjoy surprise sea days. I'm sorry for the people who had something special planned in Grand Cayman. I hope the weather improves during your cruise! DH and I try to get off the ship in each port. If we don't have a shore excursion planned, we do a little bit of shopping at the port. One exception is Jamaica. We stay on the ship there.

Sorry the weather has been so poor these last two days. Hope you feel better and are able to enjoy today.

Love voljeep's recommendation of going to walking around on dry land and going to Pancho's. We really enjoyed it there in December and I'm looking forward to going back in February.