Creating NO Onboard Account. Possible?

B+S

I came to this thread because it was in the “trending” section.

The discussion over the existence of onboard account is complete nonsense. Maybe OP should call IRS and tell them that he doesn't want an account, but he will pay his tax whenever he feels like.

My father in law tried this. Found out after he died. That was a nasty 50k my mother in law, who was not aware of his shenanigans, got to pay (she refused to try for innocent spouse).

Interesting thread.

On our last cruise I gave the same credit card I've used for years at embarkation. No problem.

First sea day, I went to buy a watch and the sale was declined. ....the bank said I didn't inform them I would be out of the country (this was the NY-Bahama itinerary). ???? I used this card on every single cruise, never informed the bank and never had a problem

What I don't understand is why my card wasn't blocked at embarkation. Suppose I bought that watch the first evening?

Then whose fault is it that they accepted a "bad card"?

Lol. Dh traveled half the year for 7 years. We almost never informed the cc company or bank of it. At one point he was in Novosibirsk (Russia) using the card with no problems at all while I used the same card (with my name) at home.

Then one week we went on a cruise that ported in San Juan. And the cc was denied. Used the credit union cc. Same. Thankfully it was about 4 those-companies-times and we had time to clear it up. But come on. SJ is the US!! Lima, Novosibirsk, Panama, Auckland, just everywhere was not a problem, but San Juan they called a halt.

As for your second thing...who knows what they actually communicate? We were at Disney and checked out of one resort with a $5 charge which we paid with the cc. Checked into another and made a room charge account which went fine. By the time we went to dinner, systems had communicated more and that $5 charge had called a halt. The cc was crying “fraud”. I had to spend an hour at dinner clearing it up so what we had charged to the room, plus dinner, could get paid.

It was fine at checkout and in, then it wasn’t fine. Crazy.

This issue has already been effectively argued in US Air Fare Industry and the way fares are legally published, because airlines (of course) preferred to publish fares without taxes and fees and hide the true cost of the tickets. They lost - now they have to include ALL the fees - so customers can compare apples to apples.

You are in favor of that? Huh. I never found it that hard to keep taxes in kind when comparing fares. The new airfare thing makes me nutty.

And the cruise industry isn’t actually based in the US so...

Sometimes I think people are trying to complicate their lives.

Put your CC down and enjoy vacation, who arrives at port itching for a confrontation? So weird.

Pay the DSC...it’s a fee and part of the cruise cost just like resort fees play land based hotels. If you want to get it waived at end that’s your prerogative though I find that to be unethical in some respects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ikr. I feel like the OP, like some others on this board, could be candidates for an episode of Extreme Cheapskates.

Oh Good Job XRIVA! You found it. My bad! But still .... murky. Thank you!

You can remove service charges and TIP who you want when you want and how much you want. You can go to guest services and ask for the daily charge to be removed from your account.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My CC and Debit Card always gets questioned or shut down when I travel in the US as they are one of the few countries that still accept signatures, even when I’ve let them know that’s where I’m travelling to. Most other countries will only accept chip and pin, so my bank is super cautious with US transactions. Unfortunately if you want to withdraw money through the ATM it defaults to Miami so bang - I’m shut down. Norwegian CL usually passes as they can see I booked a cruise through them.

Let's be logical here. How can they make you pay if you don't have the money? I assume they can make you take an "NCL Loan" and not allow you to book another cruise until the loan is paid off. But, they can't break your knees or dump you in the ocean.

remember service charges or gratuities must be paid, no exceptions so we all have an account unless we have paid up front. You can fill out a form to get gratuities back but you do have to pay them before you get off the ship.

What about sodas? I doubt anyone cruises without drinking something, maybe not booze. A lot of people do not drink alcohol but they usually drink something.

Funny how everyone (or most) assume he does not want to pay the service charge even though he said he will. He is just not wanting to leave his credit card information as payment. He will likely have to put down some cash on his account unless he has OBC.

and it is amazing how you must have missed the part where he doesn't want to put any cash down either. He really has no choice. OK so he says he tips individually and maybe he does, but the point is: he has no choice. He either puts cash up front or uses a CC. :rolleyes:

OP you say you have cruised 8 times, good for you, but I am guessing not recently. Why do I say this? Because most lines now operate the same way: DSC is the way of the cruise world today.

Edited by newmexicoNita

This isn't that complicated. Just request a cash account, no credit card required.

Then once on board request the Daily Service Charge be removed which should be accommodated.

Then tip the handful of crew you interact with.

Finally, cope with the fact that you have shortchanged all of the back-of-house staff that are paid from the pool.

Note, there is no way to pay cash for anything on board.

you are forgetting something: you can not have the DSC removed for any reason. You have to pay it, then fill out a form to have it removed and get a refund about a month after sailing. So no, that won't work either.

You can remove service charges and TIP who you want when you want and how much you want. You can go to guest services and ask for the daily charge to be removed from your account.

no you can not. You can fill out a form and get them mailed to you after the cruise, but you can not opt out while on the ship. This has been the policy for a year or more.

OP, you mention you did not start the discussion on DSC but you did. You were the one that stated you would prefer to pay your tips to certain people yourself. Now you are saying other lines do not have an automatic tip requirements. That is just not the case. Call it DSC, auto tipping or gratuities, it is the same.

I am not quite sure why you started this post but it is obvious none of us can convince you that you will have to pay upfront someway or another. I know this isn't exactly what you had hoped to hear. I don't think there is any reason for any of us to continue to comment on the topic. You opened up a can of worms and the worms all came out. Now they are gone and you are still arguing.

Edited by newmexicoNita

No, this can only be done after the cruise. Stop spreading bad info.

and it is amazing how you must have missed the part where he doesn't want to put any cash down either. He really has no choice. OK so he says he tips individually and maybe he does, but the point is: he has no choice. He either puts cash up front or uses a CC. :rolleyes:

OP you say you have cruised 8 times, good for you, but I am guessing not recently. Why do I say this? Because most lines now operate the same way: DSC is the way of the cruise world today.

According to his public profile the OP's most recent cruise was in May 2017 on the Liberty of the Seas.

Just to further muddy the waters, there have been a few reports on here recently that people were able to get the DSC removed onboard.
It is my understanding that guests booked through NCL UK can still have their gratuities removed immediately on board. The poster that vince_g reprimanded may have been in that situation. But I don't know if even guests booked through NCL UK could get away with not setting up an onboard account (whether cash or credit) for the entire cruise. The cruise line obviously wants some degree of protection in case passengers incur charges, perhaps unintentionally (e.g. medical treatment), and I would imagine that most passengers (even those that don't plan on spending a lot on extras) actually prefer to have the freedom to incur charges if the need or desire arises during their cruise.

It takes a special sort of devotion to futility to deprive oneself of this facility during one's entire vacation simply to score an imaginary point against the cruise line.

It is my understanding that guests booked through NCL UK can still have their gratuities removed immediately on board. The poster that vince_g reprimanded may have been in that situation. But I don't know if even guests booked through NCL UK could get away with not setting up an onboard account (whether cash or credit) for the entire cruise. The cruise line obviously wants some degree of protection in case you incur charges, perhaps unintentionally (e.g. medical treatment), and I would imagine that most passengers (even those that don't plan on spending a lot on extras) actually prefer to have the freedom to incur charges if they should happen to feel like doing so during their cruise.

It takes a special sort of devotion to futility to deprive oneself of this facility during one's entire vacation simply to score an imaginary point against the cruise line.

Yes, I believe that UK passengers can get DSC removed onboard (as long as they booked before all inclusive, after which it is obviously irrelevant).

However, I am referring to posts by people who I believe to be from the US.

Let's be logical here. How can they make you pay if you don't have the money? I assume they can make you take an "NCL Loan" and not allow you to book another cruise until the loan is paid off. But, they can't break your knees or dump you in the ocean.

What do restaurants do when someone does a dine and dash? You could be arrested by the Police I think.

Ok, I just signed nearly all of my rights away while registering for an upcoming NCL cruise. I paid special attention to all the subsections. Saw not one place where I agreed to being required to either hand over a credit card OR a required $ figure in cash with which to create an On-board Account. It is implied in the FAQ's but not REQUIRED in the contract.

So, here's where I admittedly get a little weird. Then I'll get to my question. Hate me if needed, but I don't like the ship board "for pay" products, and, would prefer to pay my gratuities myself. So... (and I don't drink)... so... will I be FORCED to hand over a set amount of cash in lieu of a credit card?

I don't see it in anything I agreed to. Hypothetically, what if I were show up with $1.00 in my wallet and no credit cards? Cruise contract does not say.... could they deny my boarding? What if I simply refuse to create an account at all?

Thanks. Happy Sailing!

You must have payment up front.

What could stop you from running up a huge phone bill from your cabin phone @ $4.95 a minute?

Then" jumping ship"?

Edited by biker@sea

Ok, I just signed nearly all of my rights away while registering for an upcoming NCL cruise. I paid special attention to all the subsections. Saw not one place where I agreed to being required to either hand over a credit card OR a required $ figure in cash with which to create an On-board Account. It is implied in the FAQ's but not REQUIRED in the contract.

So, here's where I admittedly get a little weird. Then I'll get to my question. Hate me if needed, but I don't like the ship board "for pay" products, and, would prefer to pay my gratuities myself. So... (and I don't drink)... so... will I be FORCED to hand over a set amount of cash in lieu of a credit card?

I don't see it in anything I agreed to. Hypothetically, what if I were show up with $1.00 in my wallet and no credit cards? Cruise contract does not say.... could they deny my boarding? What if I simply refuse to create an account at all?

Thanks. Happy Sailing!

You seem to just be looking to be obstinate.....a cruise may not be for you...try a campground.

You don't see how an automatic gratuity program is different than a "Daily Service Charge"? Way different!! Say's right there - it goes to the crew that serves you. Not to corporate, not to an incentive plan, not to a welfare program,and it's cancel-able should you prefer to pay people in cash as I do.

I can only speak to RCCL, but I have asked my stateroom attendant, servers in MDR, and bartenders how the daily service charge is split. Tips are all split among much of the staff. You are not necessarily just paying your attendant/bar server/waiter directly. This used to be the case, but no more.

Thanks,

Ross

I find it slightly amusing that you haven't even sailed with NCL yet but you are already feeling 'combative' about the 'Nickle and diming'. Why don't you actually wait until you've cruised with them and see if you feel they nickel and dime?

Honestly anything that costs extra is optional, and every cruise line bar the super luxury charges for extras just the same. MSC is even charging for the zipline on their newest ship which is causing a lot of teeth-gnashing over on those forums.